ADVERTISEMENT

North Bay /classic

larry legend33

Hall of Famer
Silver Member
Dec 4, 2007
Some north bay news.

Cardinal newman continues a strong start to season improving to 13-0 and will take on Christopher (Salinas) in Sonoma County Classic semis. This is newman best start since the 2014-15.
In the other semis , Piner and Ukiah both are also off to red hot starts at 11-1 and meet tnite. Should be some good games over at Piner HS.

Another team to watch is Windsor (10-4) who has all time great Steve Kramer back coaching. Windsor started off slow with some football kids coming over late but don’t count them out. They played a loaded Justin Siena team tough a few weeks back.

Montgomery , took some lumps the last few weeks but battled Folsom (lost 60-58) and will play in Marin Catholic consolation champ today against central Catholic. I never count out the Vikings in D2.

Been a bit of a drought north of golden gate last few years but looks like some better ball being played now.

Justin Siena is def the best team in the greater Napa/Sonoma county area.

Larry -

As you know, I am a complete homer of Justin-Siena. With that being said, all the teams mentioned above have had advantageous schedules to help with their win/loss records. If I were a betting man, I would say Newman will have their hands full in the Sonoma County Classic final. I know Justin-Siena is looking to add a game because they had a late cancellation last week. They have contacted a few schools that are not Lake, Valleys or Villes. Hopefully, they can get a top team scheduled.

Reactions: UncleYacht
Larry -

As you know, I am a complete homer of Justin-Siena. With that being said, all the teams mentioned above have had advantageous schedules to help with their win/loss records. If I were a betting man, I would say Newman will have their hands full in the Sonoma County Classic final. I know Justin-Siena is looking to add a game because they had a late cancellation last week. They have contacted a few schools that are not Lake, Valleys or Villes. Hopefully, they can get a top team scheduled.
Hey, ok to be a homer! Justin is real deal. Agree on scheduling side. Newman isn’t very deep nor big. And quite frankly they aren’t nearly as good as many of the former teams out of that school. They shoot the ball very well and that can be good and bad. On a good night they give Montgomery one of there worse losses. On a bad night they could lose to somebody average. They will get killed by a bigger team inside. Not sure Piner or Ukiah will be that big a a threat assuming they get past Christopher.
But they have 3 kids who will all have a chance to play after HS and most hs teams don’t have that.

Good luck finding a team! You guys have a chance to hang a banner.

Montgomery had a VERY good showing at Bambauer...NBL is BACK BABY! Piner is real deal, extremely well coached and athletic as always. UKiah SOS may have finally been revealed. Windsor looks to be very solid. CN is well coached and disciplined, cold nights from the perimeter could be a problem, but they can flat out shoot!

Do not sleep on www.upsetcity.com as a frequently visited website over the next 8 weeks and into March...

Montgomery had a VERY good showing at Bambauer...NBL is BACK BABY! Piner is real deal, extremely well coached and athletic as always. UKiah SOS may have finally been revealed. Windsor looks to be very solid. CN is well coached and disciplined, cold nights from the perimeter could be a problem, but they can flat out shoot!

Do not sleep on www.upsetcity.com as a frequently visited website over the next 8 weeks and into March...
Erickson is a great coach. Good to hear from you uncleyacht.

Erickson is a great coach. Good to hear from you uncleyacht.
I just know that @northbaybbguru has some takes bottled up...nice tourney win for Folsom. Things are looking up, I gotta believe #guru actually believes the North is baaaaack. CN vs Piner tomorrow night should be a hard ticket in the Final of the SoCo Classic!

I was at the CN game tonight.

CNs win over Christopher was one of their most impressive wins I've seen them have in quite a few yrs.

Christopher jumped out to a 21-11 1st qtr lead with multiple Chris players banging 3s and their big man doing work down low. CN HELD CHRIS TO 12 POINTS OVER THE LAST 3 THREE QUARTERS, included in there was an impressive 20-1 stretch.

I really thought CN was in trouble after the 1st. What the hell do I know apparently? Lol.... as I said REALLY impressive win by CN tonight.

Piner looked good tonight also. Matty Erickson had a big game! And the Piner big center looks like a definite next level player. Had 2 nice dunks with the 2nd coming off a rebound that hit backboard, rim and bounced up and he came flying down the key rose up into the rafters and threw down the monster rebound put back dunk which brought the house down! Tomorrow's championship should be a fun up and down affair!

The Oak looks like it's going to be a fun league this season!

I was at the CN game tonight.

CNs win over Christopher was one of their most impressive wins I've seen them have in quite a few yrs.

Christopher jumped out to a 21-11 1st qtr lead with multiple Chris players banging 3s and their big man doing work down low. CN HELD CHRIS TO 12 POINTS OVER THE LAST 3 THREE QUARTERS, included in there was an impressive 20-1 stretch.

I really thought CN was in trouble after the 1st. What the hell do I know apparently? Lol.... as I said REALLY impressive win by CN tonight.

Piner looked good tonight also. Matty Erickson had a big game! And the Piner big center looks like a definite next level player. Had 2 nice dunks with the 2nd coming off a rebound that hit backboard, rim and bounced up and he came flying down the key rose up into the rafters and threw down the monster rebound put back dunk which brought the house down! Tomorrow's championship should be a fun up and down affair!

The Oak looks like it's going to be a fun league this season!
Whoa. Was not expecting that from @northbaybbguru ...usually holds back a little bit, but I LIKE IT A LOT!

Whoa. Was not expecting that from @northbaybbguru ...usually holds back a little bit, but I LIKE IT A LOT!
The Passion is back in the redwood empire!

Heard piner looked amazing last night but Ukiah was also sitting back in a zone down 25 while the prospectors bombed 3’s. Newman will be up on them defensively tnite. I would expect a lower scoring affair. The big for Piner is a bouncy athletic kid. Def looks like he has some filling out to do but will give Newman some issues.

@winetot , I think you called it. Piner will be right there tnite and could very well claim the champ. My buddy said they are for real.

Tonight's game will be very good. Both teams are well coached so it will come down to who is more disciplined in the 4th quarter. I say Piner wins but I do not know much. I do know that the other teams in the area are average. Montgomery winning the consolation bracket at the Bambauer is like running through the Healdsburg bracket. You can look at the score of the Folsom game at get excited but Folsom played without 2 starters. Keep in mind Newman beat Montgomery by 20 and Montgomery also lost to Urban, who Windsor beat by 30... I do not think the North Bay is back.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Tonight's game will be very good. Both teams are well coached so it will come down to who is more disciplined in the 4th quarter. I say Piner wins but I do not know much. I do know that the other teams in the area are average. Montgomery winning the consolation bracket at the Bambauer is like running through the Healdsburg bracket. You can look at the score of the Folsom game at get excited but Folsom played without 2 starters. Keep in mind Newman beat Montgomery by 20 and Montgomery also lost to Urban, who Windsor beat by 30... I do not think the North Bay is back.
Your wine glass is currently half empty with zin, while it should be half full with a full bodied cab sitting next to a dry aged bone in ribeye with all the fixings. That negativity isn't getting anyone anywhere soon. Your take on the Consolation bracket is salty. They lost by two points to the tournament champ that wasn't really tested in it's next 3 games. Sometimes teams improve after the beginning of the season...

Yeah I know Folsom well. Even with micah and cJ out they have 3 kids on the bench that would start for virtually any team in the area. Christ , Folsom has 2 fresh kids on Jv that would play on most Hs teams. My buddy was there and said Monty looked good and I watched the Newman win against Monty and rest assured newman won’t shoot that well again nor will monty play that bad. I’m not saying its the EBAL but you talk about a weak league and look no further than MCAL. (Exclude Branson)
I think Piner, Newman, Monty, and Windsor are all solid teams and are all playing well right now. Everyone is on the up going into league.

It’s a toss up tonite but Newman has a sliver of an edge.
I see a game in 45-50 range. Should be a fun one.

Your wine glass is currently half empty with zin, while it should be half full with a full bodied cab sitting next to a dry aged bone in ribeye with all the fixings. That negativity isn't getting anyone anywhere soon. Your take on the Consolation bracket is salty. They lost by two points to the tournament champ that wasn't really tested in it's next 3 games. Sometimes teams improve after the beginning of the season...
Montgomery did beat Urban 43-41 in the Consolation bracket after losing to them last week so maybe they have improved a little.

Newman up 16 with 1 min left. (51-35) Looks like they are emerging as team to beat and improve to 14-0.
Newman up 16 with 1 min left. (51-35) Looks like they are emerging as team to beat and improve to 14-0.
21-20 at half and 35-30 going into the 4th... Great win for Newman. Only non-league game left is Ukiah..... Piner, Windsor and Montgomery have some work to do.

Reactions: larry legend33
Montgomery did beat Urban 43-41 in the Consolation bracket after losing to them last week so maybe they have improved a little.

21-20 at half and 35-30 going into the 4th... Great win for Newman. Only non-league game left is Ukiah..... Piner, Windsor and Montgomery have some work to do.
It’s a good win and nice to see them undefeated but soft pre season overall. Last year they played a really hard preseason and this year went complete opposite. SRV is probably the top D2 Team in section.

Larry - Cardinal Newman actually has beaten a few pretty good teams and has 3 tournament championships. Lincoln, St. Francis and Piner are all good teams. I know they did not have the same pre-season as last year but they still have been impressive.

Larry - Cardinal Newman actually has beaten a few pretty good teams and has 3 tournament championships. Lincoln, St. Francis and Piner are all good teams. I know they did not have the same pre-season as last year but they still have been impressive.
Good points. I really like how they play D too. Cline has really matured from last year. He’s impressed me and gets to spots on the floor with his athleticism.

Good points. I really like how they play D too. Cline has really matured from last year. He’s impressed me and gets to spots on the floor with his athleticism.
Krillich was the glue last night when Piner made their run in the 2nd and 3rd qtrs. He made some big shots/3s when CN hit a lull and was having trouble scoring which allowed Cline to do his thing in the 4th.

Last edited:
Press Rankings

NCS D2 is loaded this year.
1. Newman 15-0
2. Monty 10-4
3. Piner 12-2
4. Windsor 11-4
5. Ukiah 13-3

Yacht -

As long as Steve Sparrow is the Monty coach(more league championships in one year than Tiedeman in 5)and you can jump onto their bench after your games(your team will for sure win the JV title), Montgomery is the favorite. As you stated, teams get better and my guess is the Montgomery staff will out work the other in the film room.

1. Montgomery
2. Cardinal Newman
3. Piner
4. Windsor

Not sure what your definition of "very good team" is........

Let's just hope we can have some North Bay schools be competitive in NCS...

• Haha
Yacht -

As long as Steve Sparrow is the Monty coach(more league championships in one year than Tiedeman in 5)and you can jump onto their bench after your games(your team will for sure win the JV title), Montgomery is the favorite. As you stated, teams get better and my guess is the Montgomery staff will out work the other in the film room.

1. Montgomery
2. Cardinal Newman
3. Piner
4. Windsor

Not sure what your definition of "very good team" is........

Let's just hope we can have some North Bay schools be competitive in NCS...
* Arrow
I think that's exactly what this year's NBL is, just more competitive(hopefully). I think the top teams are playing better more early in the year than year's past. I would say the competitive teams all have really good coaching staffs. NBL is as deep as I can remember.

Also, Zac made a couple of deep runs into NCS...not sure that throwing shade at anyone who coaches high school sports is really the way to go.

Last edited:
* Arrow
I think that's exactly what this year's NBL is, just more competitive(hopefully). I think the top teams are playing better more early in the year than year's past. I would say the competitive teams all have really good coaching staffs. NBL is as deep as I can remember.

Also, Zac made a couple of deep runs into NCS...not sure that throwing shade at anyone who coaches high school sports is really the way to go.

I agree with @winetot predictions although newman already having a big win over monty certainly puts them in a good position. Monty may not catch them until League tournament.
I also think the top teams are sound and better than in prior years and all very well coached. Will make for a fun league. Zac was a heck of a player and coach. Those tiedemans ooze hoops.

Rankings are a little off

1. Newman - playing well and will be tough to knock off. There lack of size may bite them come playoff time.

2. Windsor - slow start with football players missing, they are finally starting to play better basketball. Best chance to beat Newman.

3 Monty - Had there chance to beat Newman and lost. Have played better the last few weeks but are probably a year away. They don't have a chance if Hawkins doesn't play better.

Analy and Piner will fight for the 4 and 5. Both teams have a chance for a high seed in division 3. Piner has been more consistent and will play hard and apply pressure. There is no finer coach than Erickson in the northbay. They will be tough but not as talented as the top 3. Analy has been inconsistent but when playing well have the talent and skill positions to beat any of the top teams.

Newman is in the driver's seat, already knocked off Monty and a win at Analy. This next week will really show where each of these programs fall.

Side note: Newman will have a lot of wins at the end of the year, but they are not going to beat SRV, Salesian or Campo. Don't sleep on Redwood either they are a solid team.

Rankings are a little off

1. Newman - playing well and will be tough to knock off. There lack of size may bite them come playoff time.

2. Windsor - slow start with football players missing, they are finally starting to play better basketball. Best chance to beat Newman.

3 Monty - Had there chance to beat Newman and lost. Have played better the last few weeks but are probably a year away. They don't have a chance if Hawkins doesn't play better.

Analy and Piner will fight for the 4 and 5. Both teams have a chance for a high seed in division 3. Piner has been more consistent and will play hard and apply pressure. There is no finer coach than Erickson in the northbay. They will be tough but not as talented as the top 3. Analy has been inconsistent but when playing well have the talent and skill positions to beat any of the top teams.

Newman is in the driver's seat, already knocked off Monty and a win at Analy. This next week will really show where each of these programs fall.

Side note: Newman will have a lot of wins at the end of the year, but they are not going to beat SRV, Salesian or Campo. Don't sleep on Redwood either they are a solid team.
Good recap. Yeah D2 is pretty loaded at the top. Campo and SRV especially. Salesian I’ve seen play and sometimes you don’t know what you are to get offensively but defensive and pressure is always there. Maybe newman wins a couple games in NCS and one or 2 of those others gets pulled to open for Norcal. That is there only chance for norcals

Good recap. Yeah D2 is pretty loaded at the top. Campo and SRV especially. Salesian I’ve seen play and sometimes you don’t know what you are to get offensively but defensive and pressure is always there. Maybe newman wins a couple games in NCS and one or 2 of those others gets pulled to open for Norcal. That is there only chance for norcals
i've never asked, but i wonder if the weakest move in sports history keeps Newman in D2 indefinitely, or if they remain there by choice.

i've never asked, but i wonder if the weakest move in sports history keeps Newman in D2 indefinitely, or if they remain there by choice.
It was the weakest move in history. Bonfigli did alot of damage on the way out with no better example than his move up to D2 to avoid Salesian, ST Joe's and SVSP(at the time all in D4).

The NCS has deemed that CN will stay in D2 from now on and now with 1 of their best teams in a decade has little chance to make it to Norcals as only the top 2 (with the advent of the NCS Open) in sections advance.

And as I've mentioned before on here...I was at a CN football game when he told me he was thinking about moving up and I BEGGED HIM NOT TO...he freely admitted that he was doing it cause he thought it was an easier path to Norcals. I told him he'd never have a chance at a state title again if he did as the D2 norcals were a bloodbath cause the other sections were loaded in D2. Such a weak ass move and he screwed the school/boys basketball program...what a legacy.

Last edited:
It was the weakest move in history. Bonfigli did alot of damage on the way out with no better example than his move up to D2 to avoid Salesian, ST Joe's and SVSP(at the time all in D4).

The NCS has deemed that CN will stay in D2 from now on and now with 1 of their best teams in a decade has little chance to make it to Norcals as only the top 2 (with the advent of the NCS Open) in sections advance.

And as I've mentioned before on here...I was at a CN football game when he told me he was thinking about moving up and I BEGGED HIM NOT TO...he freely admitted that he was doing it cause he thought it was an easier path to Norcals. I told him him he'd never have a chance at a state title again if he did as the D2 norcals were a bloodbath cause the other sections were loaded in D2. Such a weak ass move and he screwed the school/boys basketball program...what a legacy.
Oh! And 1 other thing... I KNOW the coaching staff thought they'd just be able to opt back down to D4 the following year but Gil Lemon told them nope.

Again they really hosed the boys basketball program on the way out...

And as I've mentioned before on here...I was at a CN football game when he told me he was thinking about moving up and I BEGGED HIM NOT TO...he freely admitted that he was doing it cause he thought it was an easier path to Norcals. I told him him he'd never have a chance at a state title again if he did as the D2 norcals were a bloodbath cause the other sections were loaded in D2. Such a weak ass move and he screwed the school/boys basketball program...what a legacy.
it's weird because if i'm not mistaken San Marin also petitioned to D2 but got out of it.

Terrible. They can compete at that level in baseball and honestly at D1 now but never in hoops. They go from a real far norcal contender in d4 to a decent/avg d2 Team at the playoff level.

Guru, i know in the old school system when I played you had to make it to ncs title game to advance to norcal but I thought it’s a little easier now because of open. (In other words you can get selected with 1 or 2 wins in some cases especially if they pull up open teams)

Terrible. They can compete at that level in baseball and honestly at D1 now but never in hoops. They go from a real far norcal contender in d4 to a decent/avg d2 Team at the playoff level.

Guru, i know in the old school system when I played you had to make it to ncs title game to advance to norcal but I thought it’s a little easier now because of open. (In other words you can get selected with 1 or 2 wins in some cases especially if they pull up open teams)
LL...

My breakdown above about the 25 Norcal spots for NCS is correct and how the teams are chosen. Because of the NCS OPEN you MUST make it to the finals in D1-3 to make NorCals unless you happen to get the ONE at large berth which goes to the highest seed D1-3 team that loses before the final.

LL33..

My bad ...my post is not on this thread...look at the girls side on the "NCS postseason criteria" thread to see how the 25 are chosen.
Thanks guru! Will do.
Then quite simply newman is hosed in terms of winning 3 games in NCS at d2 level. But even in d4 this year Justin Siena to me is a good 7-10 pts stronger.

Larry -
Have you seen Justin-Siena play this year or are you going based on last year and their returning players? 7-10 points is a stretch. Justin-Siena is good but so is Newman....

Larry -
Have you seen Justin-Siena play this year or are you going based on last year and their returning players? 7-10 points is a stretch. Justin-Siena is good but so is Newman....
Last year only saw them play and just highlights this year.
I really like JS. Long, athletic, well coached. You guys are tough.

I’ve seen newman a few times but there size worries me. They have 3 really good players who I think all will get to play after Hs. (Vogesen, cline, krilich) But Talent and bench drops pretty strong after that. They are missing that 6”6 forward who can bang inside. Im a Homer but I’m being realistic as well. Not impossible but my fear is one of those 25-2 early exit years. We shall see. I can’t complain too much because 15-0 isn’t easy. There chemistry is so much better then last year. I give the kids and Taylor credit for working the kinks:

@larry legend33 @northbaybbguru maybe a little clarity in tonight's Windsor/Piner game? I'm pretty sure Newman is gonna roll at Ukiah. I watched the Carrillo/CN game and Newman struggled early but never lost their composure to come back and win big. They also have no problem playing with a lead, they are playing really good. Montgomery had to dig deep at Santa Rosa who always plays tough at home to win their 5th in a row with pretty balanced scoring and stout defense. That Windsor/Piner game should be a great game. After next week, the playoff picture should be a little more clear.

Thx for update! Little history lesson. Newman was 17-0 in 1989 (arguably the 2nd best team ever in the area). And traveled to a tough ukiah team and lost. Jake Johnson missed a dunk and got T up for hanging on rim and all hell broke lose. Ukiah had crazy bill Heath coaching and the amazing Kevin Koch running pg. You never know going up to ukiah! The entire town will be their!

I will take Windsor against Piner.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT