ADVERTISEMENT

North Bay /classic

Thx for update! Little history lesson. Newman was 17-0 in 1989 (arguably the 2nd best team ever in the area). And traveled to a tough ukiah team and lost. Jake Johnson missed a dunk and got T up for hanging on rim and all hell broke lose. Ukiah had crazy bill Heath coaching and the amazing Kevin Koch running pg. You never know going up to ukiah! The entire town will be their!

I will take Windsor against Piner.
No doubt Ukiah will pack the house. CN too mature. I think they get past Ukiah, their loud fans and maybe some refs that let them play a little bit...which has been the case a couple times in the past...

Piner is at Windsor, playing at home probably gonna play a bigger role this year with the top teams being more competitive...

Reactions: larry legend33
Thx for update! Little history lesson. Newman was 17-0 in 1989 (arguably the 2nd best team ever in the area). And traveled to a tough ukiah team and lost. Jake Johnson missed a dunk and got T up for hanging on rim and all hell broke lose. Ukiah had crazy bill Heath coaching and the amazing Kevin Koch running pg. You never know going up to ukiah! The entire town will be their!

Damn gray balls, trip down memory lane lol. Wellborn, Hostetter, Silver etc. I can remember they beat Mitty in NorCal’s and lost to Shon Tarver and the GOAT Cvijanovich Santa Clara in the finals.

Can’t remember who they lost to in NCS, but I don’t think they won it that year??Don’t think it was San Rafael that year and too lazy to look it up.

• Haha
Reactions: UncleYacht
Damn gray balls, trip down memory lane lol. Wellborn, Hostetter, Silver etc. I can remember they beat Mitty in NorCal’s and lost to Shon Tarver and the GOAT Cvijanovich Santa Clara in the finals.

Can’t remember who they lost to in NCS, but I don’t think they won it that year??Don’t think it was San Rafael that year and too lazy to look it up.
Yeah memory lane! Great frickn team. Also almost lost to Hayward HS with the great Gerald Walker and Shon Pennington putting on aerial show as frosh. Pretty sure it was Brovelli and San Rafael.

"Wild Bill" Heath

Use to head up for games back in the day and head out with "Wild Bill" after the games to drink a few and maybe chase a skirt or 2.

The 1 thing I remember is there were always a bunch or red head little kids running around the Ukiah gym and I used to ask Bill if he had anything to tell me.....as he was the only red head in town! :)

Went to the Piner V Windsor game tonight!

Windsor looked really good. Windsor man d them up and Piner had a heck of a time getting a shot off. It was a 3 pt game that turned into a 16 pt game in about 2 1/2 mins in the 2nd qtr and Windsor never looked back.

Windsor moved the ball very well and found the open man and numerous players banged open 3s. Rosotti looked real good.

At this moment I'd say Windsor vs CN is... a slight favorite for the home team in both games. If they were to meet a 3rd time in the Shaughnessy championship at Rancho(neutral court)?

Pick em...

Went to the Piner V Windsor game tonight!

Windsor looked really good. Windsor man d them up and Piner had a heck of a time getting a shot off. It was a 3 pt game that turned into a 16 pt game in about 2 1/2 mins in the 2nd qtr and Windsor never looked back.

Windsor moved the ball very well and found the open man and numerous players banged open 3s. Rosotti looked real good.

At this moment I'd say Windsor vs CN is... a slight favorite for the home team in both games. If they were to meet a 3rd time in the Shaughnessy championship at Rancho(neutral court)?

Pick em...
Windsor did look very good! They present a bunch of tough match ups. Pretty dominant. Wild Bill... LOL

Windsor did look very good! They present a bunch of tough match ups. Pretty dominant. Wild Bill... LOL
It was great playing against “wild” bill. He always was a character and his teams loved to run and gun. Guru might know but he ranks pretty high in terms of all time wins. He had some great runs. Bill Heath , hope you are well. !

I like Windsor. Im a big Kramer fan having known him a long time. Love see him back coaching on the sidelines.
Newman and windsor seem to have separated themselves. NBL is back on the map baby! @UncleYacht 😁

It was great playing against “wild” bill. He always was a character and his teams loved to run and gun. Guru might know but he ranks pretty high in terms of all time wins. He had some great runs. Bill Heath , hope you are well. !

I like Windsor. Im a big Kramer fan having known him a long time. Love see him back coaching on the sidelines.
Newman and windsor seem to have separated themselves. NBL is back on the map baby! @UncleYacht 😁
I'm positive that @winetot would not agree with the NBL being back on the map lol....his cup of franzia is undoubtedly half empty...

Yacht - Honestly - A lot of this is tough for me. I coached with Bomber at Justin-Siena for the 10 years he was there. I have heard(1000x) the Ukiah stories the Silver stories, the Palma put back story in NorCal. My glass is neutral, so your comment on half is accurate. I do not think North Bay teams are as competitive as I would hope, ever. I would love for someone to make a deep run in NCS. I do think Justin-Siena has the best chance with them being in DIV. I think Montgomery has their hands full on Tuesday and the Windsor - Newman game will be great as well.

I may be biased as I have a son on the team but Windsor should win the Championship if they do one thing correctly Play Fast the entire game! When Windsor plays slow they are an average team at best and could lose multiple teams in the league. When they run, they should win their championship. Assume they will take a loss or so but that is my opinion.

As for Justin Siena, no team in the North Bay league is better than JS. It would take a spectacular game by North Bay team and a very poor game for Justin Siena to beat them. That is just my opinion. They are a much stronger team at all facets of the game than any North Bay team I have seen.

I may be biased as I have a son on the team but Windsor should win the Championship if they do one thing correctly Play Fast the entire game! When Windsor plays slow they are an average team at best and could lose multiple teams in the league. When they run, they should win their championship. Assume they will take a loss or so but that is my opinion.

As for Justin Siena, no team in the North Bay league is better than JS. It would take a spectacular game by North Bay team and a very poor game for Justin Siena to beat them. That is just my opinion. They are a much stronger team at all facets of the game than any North Bay team I have seen.
Sounds like JS is solid, which is a great thing! Lotta ball still to be played, teams can certainly catch lightning in a bottle, as @larry legend33 & @northbaybbguru know all too well... there's still my favorite website... www.upsetcity.com

• Haha
Yacht - Honestly - A lot of this is tough for me. I coached with Bomber at Justin-Siena for the 10 years he was there. I have heard(1000x) the Ukiah stories the Silver stories, the Palma put back story in NorCal. My glass is neutral, so your comment on half is accurate. I do not think North Bay teams are as competitive as I would hope, ever. I would love for someone to make a deep run in NCS. I do think Justin-Siena has the best chance with them being in DIV. I think Montgomery has their hands full on Tuesday and the Windsor - Newman game will be great as well.
Vikes 46-40 over Analy. Defensive battle.

Newman improves to 18-0 with a 30pt win over Santa Rosa. Drew Krilich continues to be a real good all around player for the cardinals. Huge game Sat at Newman as Windsor comes into the John Fitzgerald gymnasium. @UncleYacht @northbaybbguru. Get your tickets!

My guess is that if you're including Marin, Branson and Redwood could likely give JS a very good game. JS did absolutely crush Marin Catholic earlier w/o MC's football players available which includes their top player. But agree, JS is elite. It will be fun to hopefully see them make a run in NorCal and hopefully they don't get moved up too far in the competitive equity BS.

Haven’t seen JS play, but they definitely have a quality coach in George Nessman. Coached DLS to their first ever NCS championship and first appearance in NorCal finals in 93’. Went on to coach Porterville JC and turned that program around winning a state championship in 2000. Then went to coach at San Jose State where he had also turned the program around early on. He appears to be a winner wherever he lands.

My guess is that if you're including Marin, Branson and Redwood could likely give JS a very good game. JS did absolutely crush Marin Catholic earlier w/o MC's football players available which includes their top player. But agree, JS is elite. It will be fun to hopefully see them make a run in NorCal and hopefully they don't get moved up too far in the competitive equity BS.
I would say Branson absolutely! No doubt. In fact JS would be underdog.
Rest of MCAL I don’t think so. Not this year.

I would say Branson absolutely! No doubt. In fact JS would be underdog.
Rest of MCAL I don’t think so. Not this year.
Don't sleep on the Redwood Giants this year. A lot of talent and experience...they will challenge the Branson Bulls on Saturday. The rest of the MCAL is really down this year, but Branson and Redwood can play with anyone in the area.

Vikes 58-53 over Windsor @windsor after WHS jumping out to a quick 8-0 lead in the first 90 seconds. Great ball game, tons of back and forth in the second half. Vikes had a 12 point lead that evaporated to 1 with a couple minutes left and could have gone either way. Piner took CN to overtime at home and lost by 1... @northbaybbguru & @larry legend33 know the website....

I second the Redwood analysis. Good size across the board. Vasquez and Fish are legit. Solid team…solid coaching staff. Sat will be a nice game for both teams that are well above the rest of the league.

Vikes 58-53 over Windsor @windsor after WHS jumping out to a quick 8-0 lead in the first 90 seconds. Great ball game, tons of back and forth in the second half. Vikes had a 12 point lead that evaporated to 1 with a couple minutes left and could have gone either way. Piner took CN to overtime at home and lost by 1... @northbaybbguru & @larry legend33 know the website....
Like I said @UncleYacht , never count our Monty! Great win. I think Windsor had won about 10 in a row before that loss.
Newman survives an OT thriller 53-52 against the always well coached Piner prospectors. 19-0 with a big target on back sat night against Windsor. Good ball on the 101 @northbaybbguru .

"Back on the Map!"
What map? Justin-Siena plays Santa Cruz tomorrow in a MLK game at Berkeley High School. I am going to hold off on my analysis of the North Bay schools(including Marin and J/S) until after that game is completed. I think Santa Cruz might be pretty good and it will be interesting to see how that game plays out.

What map? Justin-Siena plays Santa Cruz tomorrow in a MLK game at Berkeley High School. I am going to hold off on my analysis of the North Bay schools(including Marin and J/S) until after that game is completed. I think Santa Cruz might be pretty good and it will be interesting to see how that game plays out.
The map!!

Santa Cruz has a nice resume. Should be a tough game.

Wow! Windsor holds on! What an ending! Newman came back in 4th after really being bottled up all night. Cline had a brutal night. He couldn’t hit a shot. Hats off to Windsor for bottling him up. NBL is up for grabs!
Windsor 51
newman 48

Last edited:
Yacht -

I was referring to your map.
2023 dude, nobody owns a map anymore. Funny story about maps though, when I was like 12, I was in charge of navigating through the great town of Modesto while my mother drove us to my sister's soccer game. My mom had her mind stuck on taking a certain set of streets to get to the field, and after combing over the map like I used to comb over box scores and stat leaders in the local paper each morning, I decided to chart a new, more efficient course. There was back and forth between my mom and myself, understandably. She was maintaining that her way was the way to go, while I assured her that I had it under control. At one point I believe I told her to take a sip of her diet pepsi and take a deep breath(I'm a diet coke guy(half full preferably)).Anywho.... We made it safely to the field in a timely manner. My mom told my dad about how I used the map to efficiently navigate the mean streets of MoTown and he could not have been more proud. #prouddadmoment

I'm kidding about Modesto having mean streets, I actually enjoy it. If I'm being completely transparent, Modesto may be home to one of the nicest Olive Garden's I have ever been to.

Much like one end of a battery, I truly believe that you gotta stay positive! The lights are clearly still on over at www.upsetcity.com !

Being positive is key... I need to do a better job there. The Redwood team mentioned in this thread earlier did lose to Branson 60-42 last night. I am not sure how that game played out but I do think it shows that Branson is at a different level.

another fun topic i've never known the answer to - why doesn't Maria Carrillo ever produce any squads in football/basketball/baseball?

Is it a lack of leadership at AD and coaching level? Is it that artists go to Sants Rosa, athletes go to Monty and Windsor, and there's something you go to MC for that i'm unaware of?

I haven't been in the area for 5+ years, Brian Johnson was the best player from the yesrs I watched, and AJ John went D1 but didnt have a supporting cast.

another fun topic i've never known the answer to - why doesn't Maria Carrillo ever produce any squads in football/basketball/baseball?

Is it a lack of leadership at AD and coaching level? Is it that artists go to Sants Rosa, athletes go to Monty and Windsor, and there's something you go to MC for that i'm unaware of?

I haven't been in the area for 5+ years, Brian Johnson was the best player from the yesrs I watched, and AJ John went D1 but didnt have a supporting cast.
They have a good baseball program, but it has stepped back a bit since DeBenedetti left.

They’re great at a lot of the Stanford sports and they get some good athletes. But coaching in football and hoops has not been good in forever and it has shown in the results and for whatever reason there is no emphasis on it from above.

Reactions: Bitter Branson Fan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT