North Bay Predictions?

Early league favorite picks-
Oak division - Newman
Redwood division - Healdsburg
Vine division - Napa
NCL - Clear Lake

That's all I got...............

Reactions: DonniePeckerwood
@larry legend33 thinks the NBL will be down this year. Not quite sure if I agree yet. I think these young teams will really grow and improve as the season goes on. Great coaches in the NBL. High Hopes!

Yeah I think a little down with the likes of Piner losing a lot to graduation as well as Newman.
Newman I think will be better come January when football kids get back into the mix. I like your healdsburg pick. Is Monty going to be tough? They usually are Newman Achilles.

The Peterich tournament has a pretty solid lineup. Will be interesting to see how Montgomery and Healdsburg do against some pretty good teams.

As a whole, Hoops in Sonoma County is down this year quite a bit.

I think Piner is the favorite in the NBL Oak

Healdsburg should be tops in the NBL Redwood

Newman and Monty both lost a ton - that being said they’ll both be in the mix in Oak. Newman will be vastly improved once they get all their players. As always, Monty is very well coached and will be tough when hitting 3’s.

Looking forward to the Peterich tournament, especially if Healdsburg is in it. They have great size again and a very good junior forward, probably the best player in the county.

I think Campo and Monte Vista will coast to the finals of that tourney and campo will win every game by double figures. Go see Campo if you get a chance. It’s a treat. There guards remind you of the tiedeman boys. Just ballers.

LL, yer preachin' to the choir here :)

Btw, since Campo's footballers lost last weekend, look for three "new" Cougars to join in the fray... I have no idea whether they'll play, or how many minutes they'd get if they do play... But it sure makes the Cougs deeper...

Here's the Peterich bracket (found it on the tourney's Facebook page)

74674421_2492667270998736_1661709906085937152_n.jpg

Hm.. all four of the teams on the bottom bracket have partial... or zero... schedules up on MaxPreps or anywhere else I could find. Too bad. Information is good.

The incomplete schedules on both MaxPreps and Scorebook Live is very frustrating....

Sad thing is... If the coaches/schools have posted their schedules/rosters in their own school bulletins, etc., they have reached at least 97% of their potential audience (players, students, parents and a few alumni) already. Maybe 95% for the superpowers like Riordan and Salesian and Sheldon, etc. Sad case of not enough hoops nuts like us to compel them to make the effort.

Get a team trainer (student ) to do all that. There is always a kid who likes to be part of the team but may not have the athletic ability.

Reactions: ayalar09
Some North Bay thoughts after last weekend. Piner won the Hornet Invitational in Novato and look to be pretty solid. Healdsburg missed their test vs. Campo by losing to Tamalpais, but beat North from Bakersfield and Pleasant Grove from Elk Grove. I still like their roster a lot. Monty just couldn't hang with those Campo boys. Newman beat 2 bad teams, but lost to Redwood and are still missing football guys. Clear Lake won their own tournament winning by 18, 30 and 40 points(thank you to whoever for updating maxpreps!). Looks like they are in Healdsburg next weekend for the REIBT. Good test maybe for a small school? Roseland Prep won the Sutter Invitational at St. Helena. Other than that not much excitement to report north of Marin except the final four of the Redwood Invitational in Boonville included no teams north of the Golden Gate. Stuart Hall, Woodside Priory, Bradshaw Christian and Argonaut.

Newman and Monty both lost by 40 or so to campo. (Newman was not at full strength and it was a foundation game but still they got smoked). In good years newman and Monty have proven they can beat teams like campo. They aren’t even competitive this year. I know campo is the real deal but overall just not a good year in that area for hoops. I don’t see anybody with exception of healdsburg winning more than 1 playoff game. Newman would be ok in D4 but they play on D2 now.

Ok..here I go again.

Sonoma County boys basketball sucks.

I said it was the worst I'd ever seen it last year and predicted no one from the county would win a section game and for the most part I was proven correct. Piner won a game vs Sonoma and Heladsburg beat Roseland prep so a Sonoma county team had to win both games. Both teams proceeded to lose their next game.

Unbelievably I have to say it's even worst this year. Big hits in graduation by CN and Monty leave the county in shambles.
Piner is my pick as the early favorite in the NBL. Piner, Monty and CN will still win their games in Sonoma County and put up good records but the minute they leave the county they will get beat.

BAD BALL in the Sonoma county...

Early exits for every team in sections...

I wish I was wrong...but I wont be.

Ok..here I go again.

I said it was the worst I'd ever seen it last year and predicted no one from the county would win a section game and for the most part I was proven correct. Piner won a game vs Sonoma and Heladsburg beat Roseland prep so a Sonoma county team had to win both games. Both teams proceeded to lose their next game.

Unbelievably I have to say it's even worst this year. Big hits in graduation by CN and Monty leave the county in shambles.
Piner is my pick as the early favorite in the NBL. Piner, Monty and CN will still win their games in Sonoma County and put up good records but the minute they leave the county they will get beat.

agree 100%. Good year for football with 2 NBL teams playing for state and baseball is loaded. Hoops is no bueno in boys.

Reactions: northbaybbguru
2 North Bay tournaments this weekend:

Newman Rose City Tournament games:
Top of bracket:
Windsor v Rancho Cotate
Cardinal Newman v Maria Carrillo
Bottom of bracket:
San Marin v Petaluma
Santa Rosa v Shasta

Healdsburg Redwood Invitational games:
Top of bracket:
Justin Siena v Middletown
Healdsburg v Kesleyville
Bottom of bracket:
Ukiah v Clear Lake
Ygnacio Valley v El Molino

Ok..here I go again.

Nice to see you post something about sports....

Piner vs Newman in Sonoma Classic Finals tnite. Newman beat a pretty solid Mt. Eden team 43-37 last night and seems to be getting better now that football players are back. Both teams are like 10-1 but have that old gtown preseason schedule. I think Healdsburg is the choice at 11-1 now and a convincing win over Piner already. Good call whoever said that.

Newman should dominate piner on boards and needs to keep game in 50’s to win. Piner gets going and pressures guards I like Piner as they play much better faster.

Vegas has this one at Piner -5.5. They’re at home and guard play usually prevails in big games. Piner will speed it up and Newman grind it out offense may have trouble vs the guard pressure.

Piner/Healdsburg, impressed with Healdsburg, but lots went Hburg way in that one and Piner shot poorly. I’d take Piner on a neutral court to win that one more times than not.

Couple of decent teams in North Bay (LOTS of bad ones too ), not great, but maybe a bit better than originally thought.

Has YSN365 stopped streaming games? Should be a fun one at the Classic tonight - two local teams.

RunTMC- great summary. Agree with you about piner and speed. Coach Erickson is one of best too. Very underrated. Newman needs to hammer glass and guys like Trevor and Capurro need to have big games.

The top 3 teams are better than i originally gave credit for. (Burg, piner, Newman). All 3 Are solid teams thould win a playoff game or 2. And if burg is in d4 they could be a NorCal team.

How many career wins is each head coach going for tonight!? Asking for a friend!!!

A crap load! How many opposing coaches have +1k wins combined. Crazy.

The NBL sometimes doesn’t get the love in hoops but between Erickson, Tiedeman, Bonfigli, and Taylor (old Windsor coach) those are some of the best coaches you will find anywhere at the HS level. Any my favorite back in the day was coach Heath up at ukiah. Wild Bill!

Big fan of Freitas and McManus back in the day too. Didnt always have the skill of the other squads but always played strong and tough and competed.

I have no idea who you are talking about, but it does sound amusing.
Here's wishing you great hoops

My thoughts on the NBL as of today...

Piner has the most skilled players(the best player in League (Adonis)and 2 other good guards) but CN is bigger and stronger and currently has the mental edge on Piner. They'll play 2 more times in League and would expect Piner vs CN to be 2-1 at end. Who will have 2 wins? Not sure...

Montgomery is way down this year. May have a problem qualifying for sections (seriously its going to be close). Lacking in skill, too many turnovers and no alphas to carry the load in crunch time....but looks like they have a solid sophomore class so future looks ok.

I originally thought SR would make Shaughnessy but after losing to Windsor? And now Windsor takes Monty to OT? Yikes!!! Lots of very average to below average ball being played in the NBL.

Pencil in Analy for last and a demotion to the the Deuce next year.

A friendly reminder: DONT GET SUCKERED IN TO WATCHING ALL THESE TEAMS PLAY EACH OTHER AND THINK THEY ARE BETTER THAN THE ARE BASED ON THE RESULTS OF A BUNCH OF AVERAGE TEAMS LEAGUE GAMES.

***Look at how they do OUTSIDE of their league and the county.

The NCS OPEN makes things really interesting this year. The big dogs will get pulled out of each Division and the section titles will be up for grabs.
I dont think any of the NBL D2 teams will do much in sections. I think the best chance at a run in sections resides with Piner in D3 and NBL Redwood (The Deuce) squad Healdsburg in D4.

Sat game CN vs Healdsburg should give us some answers.

Last edited:
Looking at notable games and those outside of league games doesn't give much at this point though!
Piner- Nothing exciting to speak of. Losses to Healdsburg and Newman are probably toughest teams they've played except for Albany who seems down just a tad this year.
Newman- Beat Piner, Marin Catholic and Mt Eden... Lost to Alameda???
Healdsburg- Beat Piner, Lost to Amador Valley and split with Tam. Also beat Clear Lake(a top D5 team) in OT.
Not sure what to make of any of this, but that Newman/Healdsburg game should be interesting...

i think you are right. Burg has a good shot to make noise in D4. They have size and probably best player around. Piner will do well because of there speed and coaching in d3. Newman in d2 might win a playoff game in NCS but I don’t see much more. Just don’t have guards. Bad loss to alameda. Don’t understand that one.

I think newman edges burg in a slug fest 48-44

Looks like it was a barn burner at newman last night with game going into OT and newman winning 57-51. I missed a good one. From article sounds like Healdsburg had lead entire game and they aren’t very deep so maybe fatigued played a factor in OT. In any even the top 3 in north bay are pretty much what we thought in that newman-burg-piner list and pretty interchangeable.

YSN365 has top 5 area teams as Newman, Healdsburg, Piner, Clear Lake and then Monty. Pretty clear top 3. Hard to tell with Clear Lake due to who they play in league(although that Healdsburg game was interesting) and Monty is down this year which proves the point of it being quite a down year for north bay basketball...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT