ADVERTISEMENT

North Bay Predictions?

Newman looked flat vs Piner. Crazy as this was a monster game for CN. Probably most important game of the year so far. Got to question the logic of scheduling Healdsburg Saturday leaving only 1 day to practice for the Piner game whereas Piner had 3 days to prep for Newman.

Last edited:
Reactions: damim
Good point guru. Especially given the emotional impact of that OT thriller against burg. Piner in driver seat now.

yeah crazy night in ncs. But to be fair piner, Newman, and burg are all pretty interchangeable. Not much separates those 3. Piner is a tough /scrappy team. Burg is the most likely to go far in playoffs. (D4)

I expect Piner to have CN full attention next time they play at CN. I would definitely agree CN had a Healdsburg "hangover" for this last game. The question remains do they both make it to that 2nd game unscathed as neither are world beaters.

Reactions: DonniePeckerwood
Here's a couple of interesting twitter thread links on 2 of the lesser talked about leagues that have some interesting story lines from Gus Morris of the Napa Register. No world beaters in here, but definitely 2 leagues that are competitive and fun to watch at times.

Piner simply wanted that game more - great job by Coach Erickson, he came up with a great defensive game plan. I really like Piner’s two guards, they’re talented and physical. I Agree with the looking ahead warning, while Piner and CN may be ahead of the pack, neither is good enough to sleep on the rest of the NBL even in this down year.

Make or break week for Monty.

Weds night at home vs CN.
Fri night at home vs PINER.

An 0-2 week puts them at 10-11 overall and 2-4 in league.

They really need to squeeze out at least 1.

I'll be at both games.

Reactions: UncleYacht
Been a tough go for Monty. Always tough at home and never lays down against newman. Rivalry game! Should be a good one.

Been a tough go for Monty. Always tough at home and never lays down against newman. Rivalry game! Should be a good one.

I hope this game is posted online. Two really solid defensive efforts, lots of forced turnovers and tenacious rebounding. Newman made a few more shots in the 2nd half and were clearly the sharper team. Very much looking forward to the rematch in a couple weeks!

I count 4 meaningful north bay games tonight:

Newman vs Analy ( Newman sits at 4-1 and needs to keep pace with 5-0 Piner. Newman should take care of business handily.)

Piner vs Monty ( See above. I don't expect a let down from Piner.)

Healdsburg vs Carrillo (5-0 Healdsburg and 4-1 Carrillo. Can Carrillo keep pace? Probably not...)

Cloverdale vs Clear Lake ( Both 6-0 and the winner takes control of the league. Clear Lake is on a 20 game league win streak. Probably going to make it 21.)

Reactions: northbaybbguru
Friday night results:
Piner 51-39 over Monty(Piner keeps at least a 1 game lead on Newman. I can't find report of Newman/Analy score anywhere yet)

Healdsburg 58-42 over Carrillo(Healdsburg goes to 6-0 while Carrillo and Rancho both sit at 4-2. No details other than score that I could find.)

Clear Lake 69-59 over Cloverdale(Clear Lake at 7-0 now with one game lead over Cloverdale at 6-1. Maxpreps shows CL's Jaron Mertle with 28 and 8 last night vs Cloverdale's Josh Lemley at 21 and 12.)

Piner @ CN for the North Bay League regular season title tonight. If Piner wins it's all over. If CN wins we have a tie with 2 games (next week) to go.

Although I think overall Piner may be more talented I'll take CN in a squeaker (at home) tonight to make things interesting next week and for the Shaughnessy the week after.

My prediction:

54-51 CN

25-22 CN half

Both teams playing hard. Good game so far.

Piner guards take over in 4th...CN cant get a bucket.

62-55 Piner. Final

Great win for Piner at CN.

Piner NBL regular season champs

Last edited:
Piner’s two senior guards took over the game, I think they combined for over 40 - well deserved win for the Prospectors, congrats to Coach E. I would’ve liked to see Newman pound the ball inside a bit more, especially with the way that game was officiated.

@larry legend33 thinks the NBL will be down this year. Not quite sure if I agree yet. I think these young teams will really grow and improve as the season goes on. Great coaches in the NBL. High Hopes!

LOT of NBL teams playing really great ball towards the end of the season........some of them fighting untimely injuries, but I fully expect that the North Bay League's perennial top teams have yet to play their best. Piner is definitely at the top of the totem pole heading into what should be a phenomenal and hard fought end of the year league tournament. I can predict that there may be a few more post game mid court chest bumps on the horizon...."It's not how you start, I'm fairly confident that it's how you finish!"-Lawrence Sweatman

LOT of NBL teams playing really great ball towards the end of the season........some of them fighting untimely injuries, but I fully expect that the North Bay League's perennial top teams have yet to play their best. Piner is definitely at the top of the totem pole heading into what should be a phenomenal and hard fought end of the year league tournament. I can predict that there may be a few more post game mid court chest bumps on the horizon...."It's not how you start, I'm fairly confident that it's how you finish!"-Lawrence Sweatman

Great ball?

We must be watching different games..lol

The league is slop this season. Piner is the best team and if they meet CN again in the Shaughnessy championship I believe that Piner would come out on top in that game also. CN was ready to play last night and gave Piner their best shot. Piner was and is just better.

I would agree Piner is playing well currently and may do some damage in sections. The rest of the League? Nope...

***and as everyone knows I'm a CN guy..and I'd LOVE for them to make a run in D2 but they just arent that good...sucks to say it..but true

And the rest of the NBL Oak is terrible... the 3rd and 4th place teams are .500 overall teams...yeesh

Last edited:
But based on the timing on the post by UncleYacht I'm guessing he was just getting in from Riccardos after tipping a few with Peckerwood....so I'm not sure he actually believes what he wrote and was just trying to stir things up...lol

Reactions: observer22
But based on the timing on the post by UncleYacht I'm guessing he was just getting in from Riccardos after tipping a few with Peckerwood....so I'm not sure he actually believes what he wrote and was just trying to stir things up...lol

Hopefully last night's contest gets posted online. I think even glass half empty Guru would agree that there has been some real strides made by those "terrible 3 and 4 teams". My diet pepsi is half full. Come on Guru, with our 49ers playing tomorrow we need positive vibes only.

Agreed the area is down in hoops, I am of the belief that last years CN team rolls this years Piner/CN team by 20 every night of the week and twice on Sunday. I don’t think either of these teams beat last years Monty team and would struggle vs last years Rosa team. So while I agree that overall talent is down, I do think Burg in D4 may make a little noise. Piner could win some games in D3. If CN were in their propper division (4), they’d also have a chance of doing some damage. No idea why the heck they’re playing in D2, much different level of play in that division.

Piner, CN, and Healdsburg are decent teams this year and the games are entertaining vs each other. Yeah they all may get bounced early in NCS, but they may also win a few.......we’ll see.

Agreed the area is down in hoops, I am of the belief that last years CN team rolls this years Piner/CN team by 20 every night of the week and twice on Sunday. I don’t think either of these teams beat last years Monty team and would struggle vs last years Rosa team. So while I agree that overall talent is down, I do think Burg in D4 may make a little noise. Piner could win some games in D3. If CN were in their propper division (4), they’d also have a chance of doing some damage. No idea why the heck they’re playing in D2, much different level of play in that division.

Piner, CN, and Healdsburg are decent teams this year and the games are entertaining vs each other. Yeah they all may get bounced early in NCS, but they may also win a few.......we’ll see.

Agreed. Newman team is a guard away this year from being pretty solid. They just don’t have a great backcourt. Newman lost 3 good seniors from last year. Friesh 6”4, Capurro 6”5, and Vidurri 6”2.
I’m just wondering how they beat Marin Catholic who is pretty damn good. Newman is a D4 school in hoops. Baseball and football they can play d1-d2 and compete well. Dumb move to play D2. Piner has best athletes. Keep in mind Piner played Campo tough in playoffs last year. Piner will make some noise in playoffs and Burg could go to NorCal

Reactions: northbaybbguru
LL you’re on point, don’t forget about the other football stud (I don’t use names), he was/is an excellent athlete with exceptional defensive skills on the hardwood. I like Piner this year, senior guards tend to carry their teams come post season. At any rate, the gym was packed last night and it was a good game......hoping for round 4 come NBL tournament.

Some really big games this week that can hopefully provide a little clarity as these much improved teams make their postseason push. Couple of really questionable pass interference calls yesterday at the Shakira Showcase too...

Reactions: kiddman32
Big night in the NBL! SR takes on Piner which should be the game of the night. Neighborhood foes CN and Windsor always play each other tough. MHS takes on a scrappy Analy team who is trying to finish the year strong. Not probable, but certainly possible we may get a little case of upsetcity.com

Moving forward on the boys side, who will receive a higher seed in NCS out of the North Bay? Healdsburg? Piner? CN? @northbaybbguru @larry legend33 your guys thoughts?

In D2 with the top 2 heading to the open most likely I'd say SRV gets the 1 and Newman the 2.
In D3 Branson(assuming no open), SPSV and maybe SJND get the nod in front of Piner leaving them in 4, but best case 3.
In D4 I think Piedmont and possibly St. Mary's get ahead of Healdsburg. They'll probably end up with the 3 spot, but I could see 2 as a possibility.
In D5 Clear Lake might be able to steal a top 2 spot if they run the table as them, SH, and Urban battle for the top 3 seeds.

In D2 with the top 2 heading to the open most likely I'd say SRV gets the 1 and Newman the 2.
In D3 Branson(assuming no open), SPSV and maybe SJND get the nod in front of Piner leaving them in 4, but best case 3.
In D4 I think Piedmont and possibly St. Mary's get ahead of Healdsburg. They'll probably end up with the 3 spot, but I could see 2 as a possibility.
In D5 Clear Lake might be able to steal a top 2 spot if they run the table as them, SH, and Urban battle for the top 3 seeds.

Good thoughts. D3 will be very tough as will D4. Piedmont took O’Dowd to 2OT and has a close loss to Branson. Is Marin Catholic D4 this year? If so I like them over Burg as well. Maybe not as a seed but team. Newman I could see a 3. Piner I like ahead of SJND at 3. To be honest NCS is loaded as usual in almost all of the brackets.

Double OT thriller in Bennett Valley tonight with the Vikings edging out the visiting Analy Tigers by 1 despite Analy making fourteen 3's. I bet Analy is wishing they had some more games left on the schedule, they played very well on both sides of the court.

Haven't heard anything about the SR/Piner or CN/Windsor games yet.

Another hard fought contest between MHS & CN at Fitzgerald Gymnasium. These two teams always bring the best out of each other. Vikes got this one behind some hot shooting. Grudge match Wednesday at the Viking Dome in the 1st round of the NBL Championship. I also thought the refs did a phenomenal job! Excited to see how things shake out. Lots of really great ball being played across the North Bay! "It's not how you start, it's how you finish!"- L Sweatman

This week's games may be highlighted on upsetcity.com

#1c

I'm not much of a "look ahead" kinda guy..... but give me the cardinals in a 97-96 quadruple overtime classic next Wednesday night at the viking dome. Might wanna grab a couple bags of popcorn for this one @kiddman32

-donnie overtime

Oh my, Monty put a whuppin on the Cardinals. I am afraid the game has passed him by, it showed tonight.

Ouch... newman really slumpin. 3 in a row.
Nice win for Monty. Always a close game but this was a shock.

Wednesday should be a good one, adjustments will be made and I highly doubt the game is won by 15 or 16 points like the first two have been. Piner is on cruise control. I gotta believe they get a really high seed. Healdsburg too.

Huge game Thursday with NCL 1 league and NCS D5 implications.
Clear Lake(22-3, 13-0) at Cloverdale(21-3, 12-1). Last regular season game of the season for both teams. CL beat Cloverdale 69-59 on 1/24. CL is computer ranked 2 and Cloverdale is 5 in latest MaxPreps rankings in D5. If CL wins they lock up back to back league championships and back to back 14-0 league records. If Cloverdale wins they are co-champs and there would be a 1 game playoff Saturday to determine NCS automatic bid and would have big seeding implications. Right now if CL wins they have a shot at a top 2 seed as Stuart Hall, Urban and San Domenico(ranked 1, 3 and 4 in MaxPreps) all have been beating each other in their own league. A lot will be determined by their league tournament this week along with the CL/Cloverdale matchup. If Cloverdale can pull the upset they could move up and CL could drop to the 5 seed area. However these games play out the D5 NCS bracket should be a fun one to watch when it starts next Wednesday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT