ADVERTISEMENT

North Bay Predictions?

Huge game Thursday with NCL 1 league and NCS D5 implications.
Clear Lake(22-3, 13-0) at Cloverdale(21-3, 12-1). Last regular season game of the season for both teams. CL beat Cloverdale 69-59 on 1/24. CL is computer ranked 2 and Cloverdale is 5 in latest MaxPreps rankings in D5. If CL wins they lock up back to back league championships and back to back 14-0 league records. If Cloverdale wins they are co-champs and there would be a 1 game playoff Saturday to determine NCS automatic bid and would have big seeding implications. Right now if CL wins they have a shot at a top 2 seed as Stuart Hall, Urban and San Domenico(ranked 1, 3 and 4 in MaxPreps) all have been beating each other in their own league. A lot will be determined by their league tournament this week along with the CL/Cloverdale matchup. If Cloverdale can pull the upset they could move up and CL could drop to the 5 seed area. However these games play out the D5 NCS bracket should be a fun one to watch when it starts next Wednesday.

Gotta love the North Bay teams making a postseason push! Some really intriguing contests this week for the top progrums in the area, at all division levels. Hopefully these seniors get the opportunity to play some bonus basketball if you know what I mean. Be interesting to see if upsetcity.com continues to be the trend...

CN grabs the grudge match at the Viking Dome. They wanted it more tonight! Their bigs played very well. Hard Fought battle, they rebounded well, weren't sloppy with the ball and made more plays. I guess these teams like playing each other on the road? Onto Piner for CN and now MHS plays the waiting game to see where their chips fall. Maybe round 4 in NCS???

Last edited:
Uncleyacht/ any chance cn catches piner? Dang prospectors are 25-2. Gritty bunch of kids and Erickson has them believing.

Clear Lake beat Cloverdale 61-52 in Cloverdale last night capping off a 14-0 league season for the 2nd straight year. Both teams will advance to the NCS D5 bracket. The question is will CL get a 2 or 3 seed. The winner of Stuart Hall vs Urban most likely gets the 1 and the loser will be in line for the 2 or 3 as well. San Domenico and Cloverdale are most likely the 4 and 5 seeds. All just my opinion of course! It’s playoff basketball time fellas! Now the real fun begins!

I'm not much of a "look ahead" kinda guy..... but give me the cardinals in a 97-96 quadruple overtime classic this Tuesday night at the John Fitzgerald gymnasium(that's the name right? I for sure know it's Fitzgerald). Might wanna grab a couple bags of popcorn for this one @kiddman32

-donnie overtime

Reactions: UncleYacht
You can check the history. I have had nothing but nice things to say about Erickson, best coach in Sonoma County.

It's when people talk about how great Bonfigli is, or how these 25-1 Newman teams that have played Rancho 4 times are going to make a deep run that BBB comes out.

You can check the history. I have had nothing but nice things to say about Erickson, best coach in Sonoma County.

It's when people talk about how great Bonfigli is, or how these 25-1 Newman teams that have played Rancho 4 times are going to make a deep run that BBB comes out.

Hey! That's a cheap shot! Bonfigli is a legend, I want you to take back what you just said about him. Take it back!

My 20 ounce Diet Pepsi is half full this morning. Piner wins and keeps winning. I expect them to make a serious run. Toss up at Fitzgerald, Whoever wants the loose ball more and doesn't turn it over in this one will be moving on. Should be a great game, couldn't agree more with @northbaybbguru this will be the 3rd game in a row against CN for the Vikes and 3 out of last 4 for CN vs. MHS. Poor seeding by the NCS. It's gonna be packed, I'm getting there early.

Upsetcity.com

Reactions: DonniePeckerwood
Division 2 Prediction:

At least one NBL squad will survive and advance to round two! I love both the hawks and the giants, but no MCAL school will be able to say the same thing tomorrow morning! Well, except for maybe the hawks. They might be more talented than the dons on the paper, but I have to go with my namesake obviously on the hardwood..... speaking of, there used to be a big time tam poster on here. Is he still around or did his son graduate last year? Asking for a friend! Always a bummer to see passionate accounts that burn pretty hot dry up post graduation.

- acalanes donnies

My views of the north bay teams now that I've looked at the brackets a bit:
D2-
Santa Rosa and Petaluma sneak in... thanks for coming!
Newman/Monty... Really??? Winner gets their shot at DeAnza and it won't be easy...
D3-
Maria Carrillo vs SPSV... Another thanks for coming!
2nd round matchup between Piner(4) and Miramonte(5) should be a good one with the winner getting Branson. Can Piner get there or are they done after round 2?
D4-
Several of the lesser covered teams here- Middletown gets to drive about 5 hours to Crescent City to play Del Norte... gee, thanks!
Arcata at 7 could get to the 2nd round to face Marin Catholic.
Roseland Prep, 1 and done...
Intriguing matchup in the 8/9 with Fort Bragg and Eureka. Winner gets to get waxed by Piedmont...
Healdsburg got hosed I believe getting the 6. Not sure Del Norte(5) and University(4) should be ahead of them so we'll see what they're made of. 2nd round vs. St. Mary's will be a good test...
D5-
Sonoma Academy gets to go to Urban and shouldn't be much of a battle.
If Cloverdale at the 5 takes care of business they'll get to prove how good they are against Urban in round 2.
Looks like Clear Lake got some respect getting the 2. We'll see what they do with it. If it happens, they're looking at a matchup in Lakeport with San Domenico in the semi's and this game would tell a lot about them...

Two teams that are extremely familiar with each other played very hard again. It was like watching match number 4 of a Chess tournament between two of the best coaches in the area in Bonfigli and Tiedeman. MHS got out to a 13-2 lead at the end of 1, but anyone who knows anything about this rivalry knows that these games always come down to the wire. CN came charging back to cut it to a 1 pt deficit early in the 3rd. Montgomery was able to make some perimeter shots, and CN matched with their own. The 2nd half of the 3rd qtr was very entertaining with these teams matching each other blow for blow. In the end MHS was able to make their free throws despite CN making push after push. Let me say again, these two teams played very hard. This rivalry never fails to entertain. Congrats to both teams on another solid year.

Two teams that are extremely familiar with each other played very hard again. It was like watching match number 4 of a Chess tournament between two of the best coaches in the area in Bonfigli and Tiedeman. MHS got out to a 13-2 lead at the end of 1, but anyone who knows anything about this rivalry knows that these games always come down to the wire. CN came charging back to cut it to a 1 pt deficit early in the 3rd. Montgomery was able to make some perimeter shots, and CN matched with their own. The 2nd half of the 3rd qtr was very entertaining with these teams matching each other blow for blow. In the end MHS was able to make their free throws despite CN making push after push. Let me say again, these two teams played very hard. This rivalry never fails to entertain. Congrats to both teams on another solid year.

The fact that CN fell behind (at home) 13-2 to start in a win or go home scenario tells you all you need to know about the CN program currently. They never led...able to tie it late in the 3rd before Monty wrenched the momentum and lead back and never looked back. Rumors flying around the school (as always) regarding Bonfiglis plans for the future. I hear 1 week hes making plans for summer league and the next week hes thinking of retiring. The days of making a state championship run are over now that they petitioned up to D2 a few yrs back.
So who knows what hes thinking right now.

Either way (when the time comes) hes going to go out on his terms...

The fact that CN fell behind (at home) 13-2 to start in a win or go home scenario tells you all you need to know about the CN program currently. They never led...able to tie it late in the 3rd before Monty wrenched the momentum and lead back and never looked back. Rumors flying around the school (as always) regarding Bonfiglis plans for the future. I hear 1 week hes making plans for summer league and the next week hes thinking of retiring. The days of making a state championship run are over now that they petitioned up to D2 a few yrs back.
So who knows what hes thinking right now.

Either way (when the time comes) hes going to go out on his terms...
I hope Tom can leave on his terms just like you mentioned. He is still one of the best in the area. His teams play hard and are extremely disciplined. @northbaybbguru do you know if the petition up is permanent or can you petition back down or is there a certain number of years the petition period lasts? I have no clue when it comes to that stuff.

I hope Tom can leave on his terms just like you mentioned. He is still one of the best in the area. His teams play hard and are extremely disciplined. @northbaybbguru do you know if the petition up is permanent or can you petition back down or is there a certain number of years the petition period lasts? I have no clue when it comes to that stuff.

You can always petition to change divisions..it doesnt mean the commissioner is going to grant it.
Just to be clear Bonfigli petitioned up a few yrs back because he thought it was an easier route to Norcals. At the time Salesian, St Joe's and SPSV were in D4 and D2 was basically a public school division. He didnt look at the big picture that D2 in Norcals was considerably more difficult than D4. He basically screwed himself and the program by making the change. CN tried to petition back down but Commissioner Lemon told them no. And now with the NCS Open and only 2 spots from D2 advancing to Norcals while 4 from D4 advance it has only magnified the absolute stupidity of the move.
In case anyone has forgotten CN beat D4 #2seed Marin Catholic and #6 seed Healdsburg this season meaning CN probably would have been no worse than the 2 seed in D4 and and probable norcal bid rather than 1 and done in D2.

Doh!!!!!

Look...I'm a CN guy and will always be there rooting for the old vet and his squad. BUT he got what he deserves on the D2 move. He tried to game the system and get an advantage and the basketball gods (karma?) got him...

I just dont see another run in him... the talent is not at the school right now for a deep run in D2. Next year Healdsburg moves up to the Oak and they will be better than CN. And Monty returns their big guy and a solid soph class and will be better. CN basically went 7-6 in League this year (including sections) and I can see another record like that and another 3rd place(at best) finish again next year.

Sad that CN is not in D4 where they belong. They presumably would do much better and actually have a shot at winning a few games. To petition up, and not knowing the full ramifications of your attempt to work the system??? In the end the program has paid a price a steep price for his error. Any chance that the 2 point quarter had anything to do with the offense from Hickory he's run for 35+ years (see picket fence)? I think Tied knows the CN offense better than the players.

Sad that CN is not in D4 where they belong. They presumably would do much better and actually have a shot at winning a few games. To petition up, and not knowing the full ramifications of your attempt to work the system??? In the end the program has paid a price a steep price for his error. Any chance that the 2 point quarter had anything to do with the offense from Hickory he's run for 35+ years (see picket fence)? I think Tied knows the CN offense better than the players.
I agree that there is a distinct level of familiarity with play sets and styles of offense between MHS and CN. That being said, CN still clipped MHS twice at the Viking Dome and once in a 15 point route in which they held the host Vikings to 26 points...

They beat Healdsburg and MC as previously mentioned and I believe they beat the best team in the North Bay in Piner. @larry legend33 is a little correct..the talent level is down a hair, but CN still beat some very good teams. Maybe Coach B gets away from the (picket fence) in the furure...

Just curious, if we're staying local in Hickory...then who would you say is Shooter...? JK LOL

Upsetcity.com

Not sure who Shooter would be........but unless he has a Jimmy Chitwood (or three....more like four), that picket fence can't do a thing against a well coached team that has seen said fence for many years.....and the fence never changes.

Newman is a D4 school. Always has been in hoops. Dumb move to peition up. Let your success move you up. They are a norcal team in a year like this but honestly too much turmoil there right now. Look at there last 10 games. I bet they were .500 or below. It all has to come to an end sometime. Might be time to hand it over but it was a heck of a run. Piner could be in trouble. Miramonte is much better than record. and monty will give de anza a good game. Tied has those kids on the up.

Newman is a D4 school. Always has been in hoops. Dumb move to peition up. Let your success move you up. They are a norcal team in a year like this but honestly too much turmoil there right now. Look at there last 10 games. I bet they were .500 or below. It all has to come to an end sometime. Might be time to hand it over but it was a heck of a run. Piner could be in trouble. Miramonte is much better than record. and monty will give de anza a good game. Tied has those kids on the up.

@larry legend33 De Anza is strong. 4 year starter is a stud that has legit next level game. If the Vikes shoot the lights out you never know. TBD if that website will see any traffic tomorrow night...

Upsetcity.com

Not sure who Shooter would be........but unless he has a Jimmy Chitwood (or three....more like four), that picket fence can't do a thing against a well coached team that has seen said fence for many years.....and the fence never changes.

I gotta believe that picket fence has a few more rainy seasons in it. Maybe all it needs is just a fresh coat of paint? 900 might be the end number for Coach B. Always been entertaining to watch his teams play hard year in year out, despite his roster not being as loaded in recent years with trees in the paint who rebound and play D extremely well. Let's hope some North Bay teams keep rolling.

Definitely gonna need to visit upsetcity.com but nothing is guaranteed. That's why you play the games.

Regarding D5 Sonoma Academy was actually leading Urban 62-60 with 10’sec left. Bryce the Urban PG went down the court shot the ball and was fouled. The ref said it was a three, Sonoma argued only a two. He hit all three free throws and won the game.

tough break for the huskies

Regarding D5 Sonoma Academy was actually leading Urban 62-60 with 10’sec left. Bryce the Urban PG went down the court shot the ball and was fouled. The ref said it was a three, Sonoma argued only a two. He hit all three free throws and won the game.

tough break for the huskies
This game just goes to show that this bracket is wide open. SH is obviously the favorite, but I really think any of the top 4 seeds could win this thing and I wouldn't be surprised.

Best basketball north of golden gate continues to be the lady newman squad. That is a program!

Called it. Miramonte was a very good scheduled 15-13. They just lost to campo by 2. Piner didn’t have a signature wiin. These teams have to beef up schedules.

Ok..here I go again.

Sonoma County boys basketball sucks.

I said it was the worst I'd ever seen it last year and predicted no one from the county would win a section game and for the most part I was proven correct. Piner won a game vs Sonoma and Heladsburg beat Roseland prep so a Sonoma county team had to win both games. Both teams proceeded to lose their next game.

Unbelievably I have to say it's even worst this year. Big hits in graduation by CN and Monty leave the county in shambles.
Piner is my pick as the early favorite in the NBL. Piner, Monty and CN will still win their games in Sonoma County and put up good records but the minute they leave the county they will get beat.

BAD BALL in the Sonoma county...

Early exits for every team in sections...

I wish I was wrong...but I wont be.
Ok..here I go again.

Sonoma County boys basketball sucks.

I said it was the worst I'd ever seen it last year and predicted no one from the county would win a section game and for the most part I was proven correct. Piner won a game vs Sonoma and Heladsburg beat Roseland prep so a Sonoma county team had to win both games. Both teams proceeded to lose their next game.

Unbelievably I have to say it's even worst this year. Big hits in graduation by CN and Monty leave the county in shambles.
Piner is my pick as the early favorite in the NBL. Piner, Monty and CN will still win their games in Sonoma County and put up good records but the minute they leave the county they will get beat.

BAD BALL in the Sonoma county...

Early exits for every team in sections...

I wish I was wrong...but I wont be.

Just a reminder of my prophetic post on Dec 9th.

Yes you did. And it will be worse next year unless an influx of talent suddenly just shows up.

Somebody already said it though. Newman plays d4 this year and they are a 2 seed and would most likely advance to NorCal. They beat Marin Catholic who I wouldn’t be surprised to see win d4.

Reactions: Run TMC
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT