ADVERTISEMENT

North Bay Predictions?

Just got home, Vikes got off to a pretty good start. They missed some early opportunities to build a little bit of a lead. De Anza did not panic, scored 7 points in the last minute of the half and never looked back. De Anza has some athletes and present trouble for any team that doesn't have above average ball handlers. 23-9 advantage in the 3rd quarter put the game out of reach. The Vikings played hard but were simply at a sizable physical disadvantage. The Vikes cut it to 15 after a nice run with 3 and a half minutes to go. DeAnza coach left his starters in after a line change by the Vikes when the game was a foregone conclusion and continued with the full court press...

Monty had a good last 3rd of season winning 6/8. at least they carry some momentum into next season and could be the team to beat in nbl.
I would love to see burg knock off st Mary’s but sos will come into play again.

Christmas came early, I woke up to several Legendary takes

1) Newman would be a 2 seed in D4 and would roll into Norcals

No, they and the rest of the NBL would struggle to get to Norcals in D4. It's not unfeasible, but not the lock you think it would be.

2) Monty rolling into next season with momentum

Is that how it works? Does Newman roll into next season with bad momentum after losing 5 of 6?

3) Calling Miramonte over Piner

Saying Miramonte could be trouble is not calling something. Saying a 5 seed could be trouble for a 4 seed is not impressive.

4) The most impressive program north of the Golden Gate is the Newman ladies

A great deflection technique for a dismal ending to a season. Why don't we also discuss Newman's football season while we're at it? Or, I can admit there have been some great Newman teams and players in the past and this year was not one of them. Can you?

Christmas came early, I woke up to several Legendary takes

1) Newman would be a 2 seed in D4 and would roll into Norcals

No, they and the rest of the NBL would struggle to get to Norcals in D4. It's not unfeasible, but not the lock you think it would be.

2) Monty rolling into next season with momentum

Is that how it works? Does Newman roll into next season with bad momentum after losing 5 of 6?

3) Calling Miramonte over Piner

Saying Miramonte could be trouble is not calling something. Saying a 5 seed could be trouble for a 4 seed is not impressive.

4) The most impressive program north of the Golden Gate is the Newman ladies

A great deflection technique for a dismal ending to a season. Why don't we also discuss Newman's football season while we're at it? Or, I can admit there have been some great Newman teams and players in the past and this year was not one of them. Can you?
Whoa. More like Extremely @Bitter Branson Fan.

There is some very high level basketball being played in the bay area right now. This doesn't mean that the north bay is playing bad basketball. Far from it. It's just simply not on the same level, but it's still good basketball...

Dude, did you read the title of this thread??? Relax...

who isn't relaxed? My reality doesn't match up with anyone thinking the NBL would make deep postseason pushes in any division. I don't understand how people who have watched these teams play would come to this conclusion.

Dude, did you read the title of this thread??? Relax...

Yes!

Thank you..the thread is about the NBL and he decides to make a comment about why we are talking about the NBL? Huh?

And yes if CN was in D4 they would have been the 2 seed. Or do u just overlook the CN win over Marin Catholic?
And yes with FOUR teams going to Norcals I feel pretty comfortable in declaring CN would have made the final 4 and gone to Norcals if they were still in D4 .

With SJND, Salesian and the rest no longer in D4 it makes for an much easier path for schools like CN and MC to go to Norcals every year. (If CN had not opted up)

So yea I think my "hot take" was spot on

And yes if CN was in D4 they would have been the 2 seed. Or do u just overlook the CN win over Marin Catholic?

And yes with FOUR teams going to Norcals I feel pretty comfortable in declaring CN would have made the final 4 and gone to Norcals if they were still in D4
Cause I really dont think the D4 lakes/valleys and villes coming out of the hills were going to beat them. on

Granada beat DLS. Does Granada get the 1 seed? The committee looks at more than one game. You know that, guru, I don't need to insult your intelligence.

If the committee looks at Healdsburg's body of work and makes them a 6 seed, you think Newman gets to 2? I don't.

While we're at it, in one breath you are criticizing the state of the league this year, but now you want to rush to prop up Newman?

And one more point... if CN was in D4 and the 2 seed (as I suggested) they would be a virtual lock for Norcals. WHY? Cause even if they lost to the 7 seed in the 2nd round...as the probably top early "high seed" loser they probably get that 25th at large berth. (That's assuming no 1 seeds lost)

Living, working and traveling daily through the north bay, Mendocino county and Lake county, I get the opportunity to see a lot of high school hoops. While not at the level of the bay area, there are some really good teams and players all the way up to Humboldt. No D1 athletes to speak of, but I'll take what I can get and I don't have to deal with the bay area traffic!

Granada beat DLS. Does Granada get the 1 seed? The committee looks at more than one game. You know that, guru, I don't need to insult your intelligence.

If the committee looks at Healdsburg's body of work and makes them a 6 seed, you think Newman gets to 2? I don't.

While we're at it, in one breath you are criticizing the state of the league this year, but now you want to rush to prop up Newman?

Healdsburg had a 2.2 SOS

Soooooo....a 6 seems about right

Reactions: DonniePeckerwood
I was just looking at all this crap last night ...lol

Healdsburg will be the favorite(in the Oak) next yr with their 2 best players returning. From what I understand Healdsburg was lobbying to stay in the Deuce again next year despite winning it the last 2yrs. Which is pretty weak. So let's see if their coach challenges them with a good preseason schedule. I dont like the fact the coach was pushing to NOT get put up into the Oak despite having the probable best team next year.

Reactions: DonniePeckerwood
Living, working and traveling daily through the north bay, Mendocino county and Lake county, I get the opportunity to see a lot of high school hoops. While not at the level of the bay area, there are some really good teams and players all the way up to Humboldt. No D1 athletes to speak of, but I'll take what I can get and I don't have to deal with the bay area traffic!

What's a pleasure to me is to see some of these guys from the area who I wasn't too impressed with make McMillan's squad and become contributors. I like being proven wrong.

Reactions: damim
What's a pleasure to me is to see some of these guys from the area who I wasn't too impressed with make McMillan's squad and become contributors. I like being proven wrong.

Coaching the kids up is a sign of a quality coach after subpar HS coaching.

IMO Craig benefits from the kids HS coach not getting the best out of them.

Craig does an excellent job!

Coaching the kids up is a sign of a quality coach after subpar HS coaching.

IMO Craig benefits from the kids HS coach not getting the best out of them.

Craig does an excellent job!

I saw him talking to 3 Clear Lake players after the Cloverdale/Clear Lake game last week. He rarely even looks at these schools other than his son's(both played at Cloverdale) who both played for him.

From what I understand Healdsburg was lobbying to stay in the Deuce again next year despite winning it the last 2yrs. Which is pretty weak. I dont like the fact the coach was pushing to NOT get put up into the Oak despite having the probable best team next year.

I'm ok with it. They lost some league games last year and injuries can happen and change things.

Sorry to be all over the place here - weak is SJND playing with Athenian and avoiding the TCAL, but I don't know the details of how that happened.

Healdsburg went undefeated in the Deuce this season.

And I'm pretty sure the NCS put the SJND basketball teams in that D5 league against their will. They didnt want the move for basketball.

I think NBG hit a nail on the head. McMillan is excellent and has a history of taking players from a certain school and developOmg them Into nice next level players. There’s a long list of you take a look.

NBL was definitely down this year, however if CN was on their proper division they had a chance to win a few games. They simply are not a D2 hoops program at this point.

17 to 20 are pretty big years to grow and mature physically and mentally. It's not like the JC players aren't talented when they get to Craig. He does a great job of getting the best out of his players. EBBF must be really hard to impress.

Last edited:
Reactions: larry legend33
17 to 20 are pretty big years to grow and mature physically. It's not like the JC players aren't talented when they get to Craig. He does a great job of getting the best out of his players. EBBF must be really hard to impress.

There is something I'm sure most of us do when watching guys play - we say "That's a D1, D2, or JC guy." I have been surprised to see certain guys not only on the roster, but contributing and even starting, because I didn't see JC potential in them.

To clarify more - SRJC potential, a perennial wimner, in them.

Last edited:
Craig does a great job for sure and I dont want to point fingers at any local HS coaches BUT craig definitely benefits from the local HS coaches NOT getting the best out of their kids. In other words I think there have been cases in the past where talented kids ended up at the JC whereas if they had been coached better in HS would have ended going to college right out of HS rather than having to develop at the JC 1st.

Agree 100%. No need to point fingers.......anyone who watches North Bay basketball intently knows exactly whom you might be referring to. But I’m just a dum dum....I must have not read last Sunday’s PD sports section.

I think NBG hit a nail on the head. McMillan is excellent and has a history of taking players from a certain school and developOmg them Into nice next level players. There’s a long list of you take a look.

NBL was definitely down this year, however if CN was on their proper division they had a chance to win a few games. They simply are not a D2 hoops program at this point.

Exactly. They are probably the 2-3rd best team in the Marin Catholic league after what 3rd in the NBL? The NBL was down which Guru said all year but besides Branson and MC it’s not like the Marin county league is some powerhouse. Newman is a D4 school period.

Damien Wallace from newman has played really well for Craig. I checked him out a few times this year and he will play high d2 somewhere. That I know. I knew he had potential after watching him go toe to toe with milstead from Moreau a few years back. Capurro also better than I expected for JC.

Exactly. They are probably the 2-3rd best team in the Marin Catholic league after what 3rd in the NBL? The NBL was down which Guru said all year but besides Branson and MC it’s not like the Marin county league is some powerhouse. Newman is a D4 school period.

Damien Wallace from newman has played really well for Craig. I checked him out a few times this year and he will play high d2 somewhere. That I know. I knew he had potential after watching him go toe to toe with milstead from Moreau a few years back. Capurro also better than I expected for JC.
Capurro was very good at CN!

Healdsburg went undefeated in the Deuce this season.

And I'm pretty sure the NCS put the SJND basketball teams in that D5 league against their will. They didnt want the move for basketball.

Capurro was very good at CN!

Yeah he was but wasn’t sure he could transition to more of a 3 type at next level. His ball handling and guard skills were not quite there.

You guys are absolutely nuts, he was the tallest player on that CN team. You throw him in the paint, call flatline, and make two-three perfectly executed passes to get him the ball on the block where there’s two or three defenders waiting for it. 6-5 kid shooting from the outside.......crazy talk!

You guys are absolutely nuts, he was the tallest player on that CN team. You throw him in the paint, call flatline, and make two-three perfectly executed passes to get him the ball on the block where there’s two or three defenders waiting for it. 6-5 kid shooting from the outside.......crazy talk!
My sarcasm detector just scared the living hell out of my 4 cats. Almost spilled my Diet Pepsi LOL

You guys are funny! Anyone claiming or trying to make an argument for Cardinal Newman as a D4 hoops school has lost touch with reality. Before anyone gives me the Cardinal Newman small school enrollment garbage lets examine the facts.

1. Newman plays in historically division 2 league. I know some of the schools are now division 3 but historically most have been division 2. CN has won more than there fair share of league championships and bomber always puts together 20 wins, making sure to pad his preseason with a few schools that end in lake, valley or ville. My point they have always been a power in the NBL the fact that Piner, Windsor, Monty and the others have been forced to play bigger schools while newman was allowed to play cloverdale and clearlake is a joke and any argument to continue to allow them to play there is laughable. Which leads to point #2

2. I know historically D4 has been murders row of private schools which included Salesian and St. Mary's among others. CN has in the past fielded teams that could compete. With competitive equity those powers have all been moved to higher divisions, why would CN be left in D4 ? They are in D2 which given the eye test is probably where they should be. I dont hear Salesian posters claiming they should be in D4. The bottom line is Newman was down this year.

3. CN girls team is an open squad! It's time to call a spade a spade. Monica is a good coach but an exceptional recruiter. She lands the best girls players in the greater santa rosa area. She has a solid feeder program and wins games, she has girls lined up to play at CN because she has proven they can play at a high level.

Bomber is no longer able to convince the parents of the greater Santa Rosa area that he can really put together a top notch program. Before the people start crying about how good a coach bomber is let's really play it out. He is a dedicated coach and I believe he coaches to the best of his ability. That being said he has been chasing wins for a least the last 10 years with more than questionable preseason scheduling. Just look at the state of the rose city tournament, a once solid tourney has turned into a laughing stock of a line up.

It's time for bomber to call it quits! I agree that he has been around for to long for the admin to let him go, but he needs to take a look at himself and stop chasing wins against elsie allen and el molino and turn the program over to some new blood.

4. The bottom line is that if bomber was able to recruit the top guys from the Santa rosa area the way Monica does CN would be a formidable squad. Just imagine the top guys at Monty, Piner, Healdsburg, Windsor, Analy, Santa Rosa, Carillo and there are more playing for CN( note all these schools are within 20 min of CN) The fact is the parents see better coaching from Erickson at Piner and Tiedman at Monty why would they pay to have bomber coach there boys and then play there weak schedule. People are not convinced is my 2 cents.

Anyways we will continue to see Bomber pile up wins. Dont be fooled CN should never be a D4 school in hoops. Bomber does less with more, he always has better than average talent as far a Sonoma county talent goes. Ask yourself this question why can they win at the football, baseball and Girls hoops level but not in mens hoops?

Ask yourselves this. Put together the top 3 players in the area and add them to the Newman team right now. Just for shits and giggles. Are you going to tell me that would be a powerhouse? F no! Hoops on the men side is down period. I completely agree with guru on this. You might have one kid right now that will get a d2 look in the entire county. (Kid from burg). Mertle has had several d1 players and a handful of d2 kids. You need talent. It’s not there on men’s side. Sonoma county is a baseball factory though. You think low income people can move there? Nope.
The county is losing people not adding them.

I do agree though it’s time to at least groom somebody in next 2 years. It’s due.

You guys are funny! Anyone claiming or trying to make an argument for Cardinal Newman as a D4 hoops school has lost touch with reality. Before anyone gives me the Cardinal Newman small school enrollment garbage lets examine the facts.

1. Newman plays in historically division 2 league. I know some of the schools are now division 3 but historically most have been division 2. CN has won more than there fair share of league championships and bomber always puts together 20 wins, making sure to pad his preseason with a few schools that end in lake, valley or ville. My point they have always been a power in the NBL the fact that Piner, Windsor, Monty and the others have been forced to play bigger schools while newman was allowed to play cloverdale and clearlake is a joke and any argument to continue to allow them to play there is laughable. Which leads to point #2

2. I know historically D4 has been murders row of private schools which included Salesian and St. Mary's among others. CN has in the past fielded teams that could compete. With competitive equity those powers have all been moved to higher divisions, why would CN be left in D4 ? They are in D2 which given the eye test is probably where they should be. I dont hear Salesian posters claiming they should be in D4. The bottom line is Newman was down this year.

3. CN girls team is an open squad! It's time to call a spade a spade. Monica is a good coach but an exceptional recruiter. She lands the best girls players in the greater santa rosa area. She has a solid feeder program and wins games, she has girls lined up to play at CN because she has proven they can play at a high level.

Bomber is no longer able to convince the parents of the greater Santa Rosa area that he can really put together a top notch program. Before the people start crying about how good a coach bomber is let's really play it out. He is a dedicated coach and I believe he coaches to the best of his ability. That being said he has been chasing wins for a least the last 10 years with more than questionable preseason scheduling. Just look at the state of the rose city tournament, a once solid tourney has turned into a laughing stock of a line up.

It's time for bomber to call it quits! I agree that he has been around for to long for the admin to let him go, but he needs to take a look at himself and stop chasing wins against elsie allen and el molino and turn the program over to some new blood.

4. The bottom line is that if bomber was able to recruit the top guys from the Santa rosa area the way Monica does CN would be a formidable squad. Just imagine the top guys at Monty, Piner, Healdsburg, Windsor, Analy, Santa Rosa, Carillo and there are more playing for CN( note all these schools are within 20 min of CN) The fact is the parents see better coaching from Erickson at Piner and Tiedman at Monty why would they pay to have bomber coach there boys and then play there weak schedule. People are not convinced is my 2 cents.

Anyways we will continue to see Bomber pile up wins. Dont be fooled CN should never be a D4 school in hoops. Bomber does less with more, he always has better than average talent as far a Sonoma county talent goes. Ask yourself this question why can they win at the football, baseball and Girls hoops level but not in mens hoops?
AGAP? Don't call it a comeback?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT