ADVERTISEMENT

North Bay Predictions?

Yeah a tad. Gotta put in shooting and drills in offseason and keep those skills in the season fresh. But bomber has never been a big offensive guy. That has hurt in the era we have today. Defensively he can coach with anybody.

Yeah a tad. Gotta put in shooting and drills in offseason and keep those skills in the season fresh. But bomber has never been a big offensive guy. That has hurt in the era we have today. Defensively he can coach with anybody.
This thread has been pretty rough on Coach B. One thing I am absolutely sure of is I don't see large groups of kids playing hoop at playgrounds for 3 or 4 hours on multiple courts anymore. I don't see kids shooting free throws by themselves in the driveway right before the sun goes down. If I'm being completely honest, most kids today wouldn't even know what hard work looked like. It can't all be on the coaches.

This thread has been pretty rough on Coach B. One thing I am absolutely sure of is I don't see large groups of kids playing hoop at playgrounds for 3 or 4 hours on multiple courts anymore. I don't see kids shooting free throws by themselves in the driveway right before the sun goes down. If I'm being completely honest, most kids today wouldn't even know what hard work looked like. It can't all be on the coaches.

That sucks, especially since I see those things all the time around the Sacramento area. Especially that part about hard work. Get in the gym sometime with a coach who cares about developing players first and wins/losses second. You'll see kids who will go through walls for that coach.

Uncle always the voice of reason. You are correct. Who has next down at strawberry or RV? Not many people asking those questions today. Gotta put in the work. Coach B loves his kids. That I know.

Reactions: UncleYacht
Larry definitely not a "powerhouse," but I think they would give division 2 all they could handle. I'd take newman plus the best 3 in the area! It would be leaps and bounds better than the product there are currently putting on the floor.

Adding Healdsburgs best player plus piners two guards should be able to compete with anyone in d2 this year on any given knight. Alameda vs. SRV will be interesting and would imagine de anza will take care of Newark...... but with the NCS open, none of those four remaining are anything like the top 4 in d2 over the last two or three years with odowd, moreau catholic, las lomas with those 3 guards, etc....

i wrote a paper on kids now a days and their fear of playing at the local park and how 15 years ago that was the place to earn yours

You guys are funny! Anyone claiming or trying to make an argument for Cardinal Newman as a D4 hoops school has lost touch with reality. Before anyone gives me the Cardinal Newman small school enrollment garbage lets examine the facts.

1. Newman plays in historically division 2 league. I know some of the schools are now division 3 but historically most have been division 2. CN has won more than there fair share of league championships and bomber always puts together 20 wins, making sure to pad his preseason with a few schools that end in lake, valley or ville. My point they have always been a power in the NBL the fact that Piner, Windsor, Monty and the others have been forced to play bigger schools while newman was allowed to play cloverdale and clearlake is a joke and any argument to continue to allow them to play there is laughable. Which leads to point #2

2. I know historically D4 has been murders row of private schools which included Salesian and St. Mary's among others. CN has in the past fielded teams that could compete. With competitive equity those powers have all been moved to higher divisions, why would CN be left in D4 ? They are in D2 which given the eye test is probably where they should be. I dont hear Salesian posters claiming they should be in D4. The bottom line is Newman was down this year.

3. CN girls team is an open squad! It's time to call a spade a spade. Monica is a good coach but an exceptional recruiter. She lands the best girls players in the greater santa rosa area. She has a solid feeder program and wins games, she has girls lined up to play at CN because she has proven they can play at a high level.

Bomber is no longer able to convince the parents of the greater Santa Rosa area that he can really put together a top notch program. Before the people start crying about how good a coach bomber is let's really play it out. He is a dedicated coach and I believe he coaches to the best of his ability. That being said he has been chasing wins for a least the last 10 years with more than questionable preseason scheduling. Just look at the state of the rose city tournament, a once solid tourney has turned into a laughing stock of a line up.

It's time for bomber to call it quits! I agree that he has been around for to long for the admin to let him go, but he needs to take a look at himself and stop chasing wins against elsie allen and el molino and turn the program over to some new blood.

4. The bottom line is that if bomber was able to recruit the top guys from the Santa rosa area the way Monica does CN would be a formidable squad. Just imagine the top guys at Monty, Piner, Healdsburg, Windsor, Analy, Santa Rosa, Carillo and there are more playing for CN( note all these schools are within 20 min of CN) The fact is the parents see better coaching from Erickson at Piner and Tiedman at Monty why would they pay to have bomber coach there boys and then play there weak schedule. People are not convinced is my 2 cents.

Anyways we will continue to see Bomber pile up wins. Dont be fooled CN should never be a D4 school in hoops. Bomber does less with more, he always has better than average talent as far a Sonoma county talent goes. Ask yourself this question why can they win at the football, baseball and Girls hoops level but not in mens hoops?

@SonomaGuy How long have you been keeping all that bottled up? lol

Reactions: DonniePeckerwood
Way to long! Just gets under my skin when I hear CN fans claim they should play in D4. Let's hold them to a higher standard

@Bitter Branson Fan
Scale of 1 to 10 how bitter are you? I mean you can't be that bitter, you guys made it to the Championship game and more to come! Regardless, awesome representation of north of the Golden Gate!

Last edited:
Donnie's year end North of the Golden Gate 101 SMART TRAIN power rankings:

1) healdsburg
2) branson
3) piner
4) cardinal newman boys(beat marin catholic handily)
5) cardinal newman girls
6) clear lake
7) 2nd best MCAL squad

Last edited:
Reactions: UncleYacht

1) healdsburg
2) branson
3) piner
5) cardinal newman girls
6) clear lake
7) 2nd best MCAL squad
@DonniePeckerwood what is in your half empty diet Pepsi? 1. This is the boys thread. 2. CN girls will win State if they don't draw another bad beat via officiating.

1) healdsburg
2) branson
3) piner
5) cardinal newman girls
6) clear lake
7) 2nd best MCAL squad

sounded like clear lake got buried early (down 40-23 half) and then had to pull themselves out. Lost 66-58. Couldn’t stop jasper. Nice season for those kids and wouldn’t be surprised if they win a game or 2 in NorCal. maybe the newman girls go higher? Choice is the best player north of GG.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT