ADVERTISEMENT

Predicting Section Finials and Champions

RESPECT.....
The SJS better step up and send more than 1 teams to the OPEN this year. Why is always left up to the CCS and NCS to fill out the OPEN bracket? The SJS sends SMS+1 and lets the NCS and CCS gut their sections with 3 or 4 teams every year. its a joke.
If BC wins their game tomorrow, they have to be in. They have played in 3 section title games since 2012 and played in the state championship last year.
It sounds to me like you are backtracking from your year long comments about BC WANTING to be in the OPEN...what happened to the "in order to be the best you have to play the best" mantra you have been spouting all year???

*****If CN wins it will send a monkeywrench into the OPEN selection for sure....and they may get put in.
.BUT they will not be put in ahead of BC....unless of course BC magically throws in another stinker of a section final and loses to ANOTHER team they have no business losing to.

My 8 right now for the open....

SMS
Mitty
Pinewood
MM
BOD

If CLET wins they are in....
If BC wins they are in...
If Salesian wins they are in....

if any of the last 3 teams LOSE...then winner of Antelope/Vanden
or possibly CN if they beat Salesian.

those 8 are locks if no upsets.....

Northbay
I know Brookside is in 7 seed and hoping for a win by BOD over MM. Brookside would love to play Mitty first round because Brookside is full load and running right now. Second round Brookside would face BOD on a mutual court and even the score from the terrible game they had one worst of the year. After that the SJS will be representing at the fullest. Brookside with momentum will do just find against SMS that each player knows each other no fear between the 2 teams.

But why you are talking last year CN almost Salesian and they where better last then this year. Hopefully when CN is close to win take they foot off the gas!!!!!!!

Last edited:
SJS #3 seed Rio Linda takes down top dog #1 seed Christian Brothers in SJS D3 tonight!!

That will shake up the D3 norcal seedings!!

Does that mean Campo could get the #1 overall seed?

Campo may deserve a higher seed than Sacred Heart Cathedral, but are they better? And are they better than Valley Christian San Jose? Those teams had much stronger schedules.

Campo may deserve a higher seed than Sacred Heart Cathedral, but are they better? And are they better than Valley Christian San Jose? Those teams had much stronger schedules.
IMO: Campo should be a 1 or 2 seed in NorCal. Some are saying their schedule wasn't strong enough for that high a seed but...They have defeated 5 league champions:Heritage (BVAL Champion and D1 finals), James Logan (MVAL Champion), Concord (DV League Champion), South San Fran (tie for Peninsula League Champion and D3 finals), plus Acalanes (D2 finals) twice and Dublin twice.
There only 5 loses were to teams that were all ranked in the top 50 in the state including MM and BOD.
Sounds to me like a pretty tough schedule

Last edited:
Reactions: observer22
Best win? Heritage? A 20+ pt loser in a weak d1? Does not pass the smell test. Played one
Section champ and you lost by a combined score of 195-82. Not good!

I would say 4 seed of BOD goes up

I don't I did to bad with predictions 9-2. But now it's time for the Open section. My guess with some wins change the last to spots.

1) SMS
2) MM
3) Mitty
4) Pinewood
5) BOD
6) Salesian
7) Brookside
8) Carondelet

But I think with Vanden 20 point win over Antelope will change thinks
1) SMS
2) MM
3) Mitty
4) Pinewood
5) BOD
6) Salesian
7) Carondelet
8) Vanden

Anybody have any taught about what might happen??????

I don't I did to bad with predictions 9-2. But now it's time for the Open section. My guess with some wins change the last to spots.

1) SMS
2) MM
3) Mitty
4) Pinewood
5) BOD
6) Salesian
7) Brookside
8) Carondelet

1) SMS
2) MM
3) Mitty
4) Pinewood
5) BOD
6) Salesian
7) Carondelet
8) Vanden

I think Salesian goes above BOD
SMS vs Vanden
Pinewood vs Salesian

Miramonte vs Carondelet
Mitty vs BOD

1) SMS
2) MM
3) Mitty
4) Pinewood
5) BOD
6) Salesian
7) Brookside
8) Carondelet

1) SMS
2) MM
3) Mitty
4) Pinewood
5) BOD
6) Salesian
7) Carondelet
8) Vanden

Respect....

your top 7 are correct....I would switch Salesian and BOD also.
CLET is 8 seed because they wont put NCS CLET vs NCS MM in 1st round.
and #7 seed will be the Vanden/BC choice by the committee.

the big question will be #7.... between Vanden and BC.....BOTH section winners....Vanden also section winner last year (back2back)and BC made it to the state championship last year.
So, interesting decision for the committee...

No SMS/Vanden. They won't match up teams from the same section in the first round if it can be avoided. Switch C-Let and Vanden, not because one deserves to be ahead of the other, but because SMS has to be #1 seed and they won't schedule anther SJS team against them in the first round.

No SMS/Vanden. They won't match up teams from the same section in the first round if it can be avoided. Switch C-Let and Vanden, not because one deserves to be ahead of the other, but because SMS has to be #1 seed and they won't schedule anther SJS team against them in the first round.

Not true they put Modesto Christian in open last year 1st round against SMS ? I could be wrong

Not true they put Modesto Christian in open last year 1st round against SMS ? I could be wrong
I believe you're right. I guess because they don't play in the same section divisional playoff they may do that. They should probably go with 7 teams and give the #1 team in the country a bye IMO. Same thing in the SoCal boys regional with Chino Hills.

Reactions: Paytc
They should probably go with 7 teams and give the #1 team in the country a bye IMO.

sounds like you want Vanden out. heck, why not 3 teams (SMS, MM, Mitty) with 1st round bye for SMS? play best of 3 between MM/Mitty (home, home, neutral if necessary) if you want. don't intend insult to anyone else--any other team could request Open assignment. not sure there would be any takers. now back to reality--CIF has record of placing 8, tough luck for #5-8. or as paytc would say, win anyway.

in 2014, Norcal final saw #4 v #6. but that year, the field was much more evenly matched.

Last edited:
sounds like you want Vanden out. heck, why not 3 teams (SMS, MM, Mitty) with 1st round bye for SMS? play best of 3 between MM/Mitty (home, home, neutral if necessary) if you want. don't intend insult to anyone else--any other team could request Open assignment. not sure there would be any takers. now back to reality--CIF has record of placing 8, tough luck for #5-8. or as paytc would say, win anyway.

in 2014, Norcal final saw #4 v #6. but that year, the field was much more evenly matched.
I don't have any preference for having any team in or out. I'm not from SJS area so have no dog in that fight. Just my opinion that if they are ever going to the option of giving the #1 seed a bye both in NorCal girls and SoCal boys, you'd figure this would be the year with two unbeaten national #1's on those sides. If it doesn't happen this year it likely never will.

And right to your point. With it not being as evenly matched and a dominant team at the top a first round bye may be best for everyone.

a first round bye may be best for everyone.

a first round bye for SMS is only best for the team that would have been #8. the other 6 teams proceed as normal. which is why I incorrectly assumed you had a rooting interest in releasing #8 from the Open. now giving everyone a bye and naming SMS Norcal Open rep (a la football) is a different kettle of fish. I'd guess there are a few teams that would actually want a crack at #1.

a first round bye for SMS is only best for the team that would have been #8. the other 6 teams proceed as normal. which is why I incorrectly assumed you had a rooting interest in releasing #8 from the Open. now giving everyone a bye and naming SMS Norcal Open rep (a la football) is a different kettle of fish. I'd guess there are a few teams that would actually want a crack at #1.

mkbgdns,

While I agree your making a good point, I think it is obvious that SMS (the #1 team in the nation) has earned a first round bye. It is also a tough draw for any seed (especially the 8th) to go to SMS's home court and beat the #1 team in the nation in a first round game. But where I do agree with you is... every team should go out and play their best game regardless to where and who they play. It can be a character building experience if you don't give up or quit before the tip off. The reality is there are a few teams and a few coaches who are intimidated by SMS. And they are pretty good, best in the nation. But sometimes we give good teams and good players too much praise, and sell ourselves short in the process. The scoreboard doesn't have to determine your value as a team or a player.

How about that for timing.........

The Lakers beating the Warriors is the biggest regular season upsets in NBA history.

Last edited:
Best win? Heritage? A 20+ pt loser in a weak d1? Does not pass the smell test. Played one
Section champ and you lost by a combined score of 195-82. Not good!

I would say 4 seed of BOD goes up
Hey Jayme, it looks like a draw.
They didn't get the 1-2 seed like I thought they would but also didn't get the 4 seed even with BOD going up like you thought. I would say the 3 seed smells OK to me

The Open is a place where the best play the best. Brookside is that type of team that wants to beat the best to be the best. If Brookside would went to the D4 they was ready to fit get fit for the ring. The road is hard to the ring but that's the type of road Brookside took all year. Sometimes it hard to beat a team twice in one year. Just remember when Brookside lost to MM last they was without Starks and sick McCoy. Brookside is gelling at the rigjt time. I think it time to Shock the World with Brookside or No side!!!!! Let the games begin! !!!!!

They didn't get the 1-2 seed like I thought they would but also didn't get the 4 seed even with BOD going up like you thought. I would say the 3 seed smells OK to me
#3 seed is good in a light d3 bracket. Big bonus have the #2 and #5 seed in the open depart D3. Could be the year for Campolindo.

The Open is a place where the best play the best. Brookside is that type of team that wants to beat the best to be the best. If Brookside would went to the D4 they was ready to fit get fit for the ring. The road is hard to the ring but that's the type of road Brookside took all year. Sometimes it hard to beat a team twice in one year. Just remember when Brookside lost to MM last they was without Starks and sick McCoy. Brookside is gelling at the rigjt time. I think it time to Shock the World with Brookside or No side!!!!! Let the games begin! !!!!!

No easy games in the Open!

Look like I was correct about the committee avoiding section vs section matchups if possible. By making Brookside 7 they avoid not on SJS vs SJS in first round, but also NCS vs NCS. I also think Brookside's big win over O'Dowd helped make it easier too. I'm actually a little disappointed we won't be seeing an SMS/Brookside matchup in the first round, but this probably makes the most sense.

Look like I was correct about the committee avoiding section vs section matchups if possible. By making Brookside 7 they avoid not on SJS vs SJS in first round, but also NCS vs NCS. I also think Brookside's big win over O'Dowd helped make it easier too. I'm actually a little disappointed we won't be seeing an SMS/Brookside matchup in the first round, but this probably makes the most sense.

If I recall, Brookside LOST big against Bishop O'Dowd 43-71. I believe you meant to reference Brookside's OT win vs Pinewood. Brookside is 1-4 vs other NorCal Open teams (Pinewood, Salesian, BOD, Mitty, and Miramonte). C-let is 0-2 against NorCal Open teams (Mitty and Miramonte) and had closer losses to these teams than Brookside. Your reasoning regarding avoiding section vs section matchups in the first round sounds better. Yep, too bad Brookside avoids SMS for a second time this year. Whether it was to be SMS or Miramonte, Brookside more than likely will be one and done. Likewise, the SMS vs C-let should end up being a doormat game. Both Brookside and C-let will need their opponents to shoot like the Warriors did vs the Lakers yesterday. But, with it being playoff season, I just don't see this happening. Can't take a rest day (Kerr prescribed) during the playoffs.

If I recall, Brookside LOST big against Bishop O'Dowd 43-71. I believe you meant to reference Brookside's OT win vs Pinewood. Brookside is 1-4 vs other NorCal Open teams (Pinewood, Salesian, BOD, Mitty, and Miramonte). C-let is 0-2 against NorCal Open teams (Mitty and Miramonte) and had closer losses to these teams than Brookside. Your reasoning regarding avoiding section vs section matchups in the first round sounds better. Yep, too bad Brookside avoids SMS for a second time this year. Whether it was to be SMS or Miramonte, Brookside more than likely will be one and done. Likewise, the SMS vs C-let should end up being a doormat game. Both Brookside and C-let will need their opponents to shoot like the Warriors did vs the Lakers yesterday. But, with it being playoff season, I just don't see this happening. Can't take a rest day (Kerr prescribed) during the playoffs.

Yes you are right I got it mixed up. Their win over Pinewood probably gave the committee that little bit extra impetus to make sense of the seeding, despite the other losses, including the blowout to O'Dowd. In the end though I think it was the desire to match non-section teams against each other that won out, which I had stated before the selections were made. But I have a feeling if they don't hit that buzzer-beater (I believe it was a buzzer beater in OT) against Pinewood Vanden would be in that spot instead.

Yes you are right I got it mixed up. Their win over Pinewood probably gave the committee that little bit extra impetus to make sense of the seeding, despite the other losses, including the blowout to O'Dowd. In the end though I think it was the desire to match non-section teams against each other that won out, which I had stated before the selections were made. But I have a feeling if they don't hit that buzzer-beater (I believe it was a buzzer beater in OT) against Pinewood Vanden would be in that spot instead.

Or if Vanden wins even one of its two games against Carondelet, Vanden might have been in? Or if Carondelet would have played Mitty closer, perhaps that could have help them edge out Pinewood, B.O., or Brookside for a higher seed? I think everyone but Carondelet has a better than average chance against their opening round opponent. So only Carondelet has room to complain, and they have to put part of that on themselves. And instead of complaining go out and make the best of the awesome opportunity every one has been given. As I said in an earlier post..... " being selected into the top 8 is a victory in and of itself". Just keep a good attitude and continue to control the things in life you have control over.

May each team play well, and with class and respect for their opponent, and each other. Enjoy the games !

Paytc

Last edited:
The reason why Brookside is in the Open because meet all the criteria. Since 2010- 2011 they won 5 section (4 D5 and 1 D4) championships, 2 NorCal Championships (5 Norcal appearance, a win in both D5 and D4), 1 State championship ( 1 appearance in D4 and win in D5) and 1 open appearance that the lost to the State champs BOD. The other part was strength of schedule this year with a win over SHC and the big one the put them ahead of Carondelet was Pinewood. Carondelet doesn't have any wins over anyone in the Open. History will always follow Brookside.

Carondelet may not have any wins (0-2) vs NorCal Open teams, but it appears based on the scoreboard they played these 2 common opponents a lot closer than Brookside did during the season. I really don't expect a different outcome. Maybe they will play Miramonte a little closer on Friday, but to pull the upset would take a miracle IMHO.

It's too bad the committee didn't let Brookside have a shot vs SMS. Brookside avoided playing their scheduled game this season vs SMS. It would have been nice IMHO to see this fresh match-up vs a match-up we already saw Miramonte blowing Brookside out big-time. Not saying Brookside would have had a better chance vs SMS. Just saying it would have been nice to show Brookside who rules the 209, too. Good luck!

Or if Vanden wins even one of its two games against Carondelet, Vanden might have been in? Or if Carondelet would have played Mitty closer, perhaps that could have help them edge out Pinewood, B.O., or Brookside for a higher seed? I think everyone but Carondelet has a better than average chance against their opening round opponent. So only Carondelet has room to complain, and they have to put part of that on themselves. And instead of complaining go out and make the best of the awesome opportunity every one has been given. As I said in an earlier post..... " being selected into the top 8 is a victory in and of itself". Just keep a good attitude and continue to control the things in life you have control over.

May each team play well, and with class and respect for their opponent, and each other. Enjoy the games !

Paytc

Paytc - I have read a number of your posts and you have been constant with the mental side of the game and the win anway philosophy but yet you sound as if Carondelet already had their end of year banquet.

Carondelet had their chance last year to capture state but it was not meant to be and Mitty pulled it out in D2. There is no moral victory in a school like Carondelet being in the top 8 school in Northern California. Carondelet is a basketball school and should be in the open every year.

Teams like Miramonte and Salesian have both went on the road and upset higher seeds in the open, you have to have faith that Carondelet can do the same.

Paytc - I have read a number of your posts and you have been constant with the mental side of the game and the win anway philosophy but yet you sound as if Carondelet already had their end of year banquet.

Carondelet had their chance last year to capture state but it was not meant to be and Mitty pulled it out in D2. There is no moral victory in a school like Carondelet being in the top 8 school in Northern California. Carondelet is a basketball school and should be in the open every year.

Teams like Miramonte and Salesian have both went on the road and upset higher seeds in the open, you have to have faith that Carondelet can do the same.

Trust me I have all the faith in the world. But I'm not in a position where my faith matters much.
Please point out where I have given up on Carondelet or anyone for that matter? I think Carondelet will definitely make the best of their opportunity. And there will be some players winning both from their performances and the score board. Not the scoreboard only. The Win Anyway philosophy and approach are undeniably unstoppable.

Last edited:
Brookside has a deserved reputation as one of the top programs in Northern California, and plays as tough a schedule as it can. I don't think margin of victory tells nearly as much as winning -- you can never really tell what goes into the final margin unless you were there, and even then you don't know why, say, that the starters stayed in or came out or the press stayed on or came off.

Brookside has a deserved reputation as one of the top programs in Northern California, and plays as tough a schedule as it can. I don't think margin of victory tells nearly as much as winning -- you can never really tell what goes into the final margin unless you were there, and even then you don't know why, say, that the starters stayed in or came out or the press stayed on or came off.

Clay,

I must say with all the respect in the world for Pico (who is a good coach) and A mac (who is a very good player) that my comment about giving SMS the bye was verbalized incorrectly. What I was calling for actually was a playoff between Brookside and Carondelet to see who deserved the 7th seed.
I think both teams displayed better than I can express who that team should have been. I think as good as Miramonte and Mitty are most would agree the chances of upsetting Miramonte or Mitty was far greater than it were upsetting SMS. There are others who feel that all the teams who win their sectional tournaments should automatically gain one of the higher seedings, and that also didn't happen. The way the seeding was determined obviously wasn't perfect. My point is sometimes we must at least consider changing the way we go about handling business as usual when rare circumstances present them selves. Having the #1 team in the nation in a tournament is one of those rare occasions IMO.

Before my one or two usual critics respond, I will say Carondelet and every other team had a chance to tank, or do better, to better determine where they would be seated. We obviously would never suggest for any team to tank. And we know that some coaches manage players and games better than others do. So sometimes it comes down to trying to consider what steps should be taken to make the overall process better that particular season, based on that particular circumstance.

Did Carondelet find a way to " Win Anyway "? Yes, in my book they did. There were a lot of positives for the kids to take away from the game. Congratulations to both Carondelet and SMS for putting on a very entertaining game, at least for a good portion of the game.

Carondelet showed they were capable of upsetting any team from 1-8(or any team in the country for that matter)
and probably deserved a bit of a higher seed. I take my hat off to them for the effort they gave. Congratulations to every team that made it to the Open Division tournament because that was a victory in and of itself.

An even bigger congratulations to Salesian, Miramonte, Pinewood, and of course the overall favorites going into the tournament SMS.

Good luck to each team moving forward in this season and throughout their basketball and personal lives.

Another thing I want to express with regard to B.C...... they do have a few other good players who are far less notable than Amac. And Miramonte is a very tough opponent.

Last edited:

1) SMS
2) MM
3) Mitty
4) Pinewood
5) BOD
6) Salesian
7) Brookside
8) Carondelet

1) SMS
2) MM
3) Mitty
4) Pinewood
5) BOD
6) Salesian
7) Carondelet
8) Vanden

It's easier to call it after the fact, but you actually called it the way it should have been (see your bottom prediction) and the way it actually turned out (see your top prediction). That's why RespectBBGame, I know there are times when you call it like it is regardless to your not always being politically correct.

That is why..... though I don't always agree with you (or anyone for that matter) I have to give you and everyone else props when it is due. Regardless to whether it, or you, are popular or not. Good call !

Last edited:

Schedule looked suspect and I think the #10 seed showed that. How was the game? Was it as as close as the score indicated?

Northbay
I know Brookside is in 7 seed and hoping for a win by BOD over MM. Brookside would love to play Mitty first round because Brookside is full load and running right now. Second round Brookside would face BOD on a mutual court and even the score from the terrible game they had one worst of the year. After that the SJS will be representing at the fullest. Brookside with momentum will do just find against SMS that each player knows each other no fear between the 2 teams.

But why you are talking last year CN almost Salesian and they where better last then this year. Hopefully when CN is close to win take they foot off the gas!!!!!!!

Paytc - before giving too much respect to respect because he seeded the teams in the open correctly, even though he had multiple scenarios. The guy spews stuff out like the above all the time with no regard for actually reality. Here he has BC beating Mitty, BOD and playing SMS tough. Really?

Schedule looked suspect and I think the #10 seed showed that. How was the game? Was it as as close as the score indicated?
It was closer than the score showed
it was a 4 point game with a minute to go. Campo missed a couple of shots and and had a couple of turnovers and then the Campo coach got T'ed. Inderkum made both FT and with possession put the game out of reach.
It was a shame that the girls didn't get to win or lose the game.

Bad officiating or warranted? Tough when refs take the game out of the kids hands. At that point it needs to be very bad to issue a T as once you do it is lights out with the shots and the ball

Reactions: snake18
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT