ADVERTISEMENT

SHC Head coaching job available

The question is do you want to succeed and build a program or keep the player's coach aspect and keep the players and parents happy and running the program? Nobody was more of a player's coach than coach Barbour and that didn't end well from what I have heard. As far as getting kids to SHC, they already have a good history of doing that and nothing attracts more good players than winning which the Doc has done in the league before. It's the known been there, done that of Forslund vs the potential in other candidates. As far as other people not wanting the Doc back in the league... Hmmm what would be the valid reasons for that?
Agree with PAL. You already had your sights set on the Doc and you tickled your fancy with what he could do with athletes, he hasnt had since the Jones era, with all due respect to those vaunted HMB teams the last few years ;) however this is a a different type of helicopter parent than what he's dealt with in HMB. I believe you can be a players coach and still have the respect of parents. As for getting kids to SHC it will be money first and then the style of coaching. As someone alluded to in a previous post Rich is not exactly PC on the sidelines. Its what makes him the Doctor lol that too could factor into their decision. Take a step back and think outside the box. As for those in the League who may not want him back, maybe those are the coaches who would realize their offense and defense is about to be dissected in film and exploited on the floor. Whatever the choice is, I hope they make a selection soon. This thread has over 10K views for gods sakes. Bad publicity is good publicity?;)

Reactions: PAL95
Unless they want to go through this process again in a year or two then Forslund should be the choice. Final Answer

Get ready for a shocker!! Hopefully :)
PAL you went from betting heavy money on the field (not the betting favorite, the Doctor) to now just hoping its a shocker. Maybe your source wasnt as close to the negotiations as you thought?

Im not a fan of the free rides that the school denies giving out and label it financial aid.

PAL you went from betting heavy money on the field (not the betting favorite, the Doctor) to now just hoping its a shocker. Maybe your source wasnt as close to the negotiations as you thought?
At this point anything can happen, but I said earlier I had a gut feeling and still believe "the field coach" will and should be the choice. I used the term shocker for everyone else that believes the Doc would be the next coach. Up next is a decision that I have no idea which way they will go and will be waiting like the rest of us, but I still stand as the "underdog" pulling this out!!

I've been asked to retract all my negative posts about the Doctor. That said, yes in this case the square fits in the circle;)
I'll be going dark till the announcement, so I'll leave with this borrowed tweet from Coach Harbaugh,
"Do not be deceived. You will reap what you sow.";)

Reactions: PAL95
I've been asked to retract all my negative posts about the Doctor. That said, yes in this case the square fits in the circle;)
I'll be going dark till the announcement, so I'll leave with this borrowed tweet from Coach Harbaugh,
"Do not be deceived. You will reap what you sow.";)
Lol, my last post until "The Decision" lol

The administration at Sacred Heart Cathedral today announced that the school has named its new boys basketball coach. It is not one person; it is a committee of parents or quasi-parents. Each varsity player will be represented by one adult (parent, grandparent, guardian, street agent, spiritual guru, motivational speaker, etc.) on the new group coaching staff. All such coaches will be available for practices, games, road trips, bonding sessions and the Sacrament of Penance (Reconciliation). Communication will be by text message only. The SHC administration will monitor those messages for content. Starting lineups will be determined by a vote of the coaching committee. Same thing for substitutions, time outs, water breaks, pep talks, arguments with officials and any explanations demanded by the administration. Players will be equipped with Apple watches to learn their assignments, tactics, scouting reports and plays. Any necessary discipline will be handed out by the administration via a sensitivity trainer provided by the Archdiocese of San Francisco and Dr. Phil. Self-esteem workshops will be mandatory for all committee members and players. The overtly violent SHC nickname, "Fightin' Irish," and mascot (a crude depiction of an apparently deranged male of seeming Irish ancestry) will be dropped in favor of a garland of genteel pink roses and a new nickname, "The Tenderloin Troubadours." The school has referred all media requests for information to its new Office of Pleasant Parental Feelings and Extremely Safe Student Spaces.

(Alert: None of the above is to be taken seriously. Consider it to be taken straight out of The Onion.)

Reactions: Crusaders70
OK Guys,

So we have a thread with 253 replies. Pretty crazy for one job. I believe an awards ceremony is in order!

I am sitting here with an embarrassing amount of time amount and energy this morning so I decided to give a quick thought and then some stats on this thread. I work better with numbers to understand things.

-First off my 2 cents – Obviously there is some sticky stuff going on with this job. I do wonder why Rich (Will not be calling Rich “the doctor”) would want it at this point as he has some great things going at HMB. At the same time he is an extremely competitive individual and has maybe hit a ceiling there and wants a new challenge. I like others recognize his ability as one of the better tacticians in norcal. The job he did to build HMB from the ground up has been remarkable.

-Second – If you guys didn’t know I am pretty sure PAL95 is talking about Sean MacKay (formerly San Leandro). I could be wrong. He also would do a heck of a job there is another really good guy and good coach. Just depends on what they are looking for. Both guys are high level candidates and would win for most jobs.

Now for the people that have kept this conversation moving as long as it has.

1DNA - 55 posts! 21.7%! You have over one of every 5 posts on this topic. Either you have some serious stake in this decision or you have more time than I did to make this ridiculous post. Either way great job with the commentary and playing devils advocate. Even trolling multiple users. Well done! YOU WIN THREAD MODERATOR!

IRISH CHEERS – 31 posts – 12% - Your passion for SHC has been unwavering on this board so I commend you for your consistency good sir! If we could all have people like you in our athletic communities we would be lucky for it! I hope you are pleased with the ever so anticipated “Decision”

PAL95 – 24 Posts – Almost 10% - Came in a little later in the game. Brought some intrigue to the process and the possibility of another horse in the race. I assume your guy is MacKay. If it is…He’s a great guy and I wish him the best of luck. You brought great uncertainty and intrigue!

IAMGEARYBLVD – 19 posts 7.5 %– A long time WCAL and City poster – Always bringing the historical more broad view of the situation. Great contributions.

Jordan24 – 13 posts – Hovering around 5% Jordan also brings a great perspective. A long time poster that has been a bit more dormant from say about 6-7 years ago. Jordan I also thank you for your strong city hoops perspective! If you are who I think you are…you have a very good feel Great Knowledge.

MoreKnowledge Comes in with 12 posts – Great perspectives from your posts! Right to the point.

GOTF – The founding father of this thread has 11 posts and just tried to keep us all on topic! Appreciate your efficiency. You are the founder!

colhenrylives – 11 Posts – Seems to have some Rich Forslund Knowledge and added some great rhetoric to the game!

Other posters

Mr. Direct – 10 – Bringing in a CCS link and objective data to a very subjective thread.

Scott2138 – 8 – Appreciate the South bay WCAL perspective. Any WCAL conversation this long should bring up AG – well done.

5 Matchup – 6 – Likely led the league in words per post! Way to dig deep!

OldBlueeyes – 6 – Sounds like you are rooting for a stay at Half Moon Bay for Rich!

Rabbit5 – 5 – Calling out the SHC admin multiple times for their lack of efficiency – I agree

Fubo -4 - Some of the smarter posts on the thread.

Madhatter – 4 –Good point on summer stuff

IHILL – 4 – Liked your screw the parents if they don’t like it philosophy…way to say it how it is!

MANsf – 3 – Like the Rex Walters Comment – But ego would never allow for him to take that job!

CityVibes – 3 – Nice Plug for the Mission coach

Serdprs – 3 - Game changer with the out of state mention

SHgradsfdad - 3 – Best name!

Coach_a - 3 – How dare you not know who the doctor is!

Coach Simos -2

Crusaders70 -2

Force BBAL – 2

Rmmbr – 26 - 2

Doctor of hoops– The man himself – 1

TFalls123 –1 - with the Dublin Plug – Way to stay loyal to the eastbay Irish!

Pass first - 1

Observer22 – 1

SFMIKEY –1 - Appreciate the Kerr call – and I agree on those switches!

Streakone – 1

Kiddman – 1

Rebelmafia – 1 – But likely could have had better insight on this whole thing than almost EVERYONE on the thread.

Last edited:
Incredible post and analytics! Must be the same type of analytics you used this year for your CCS D1 title, congrats! ;) Then again there are colleagues of yours who've maintained the only reason you've supported the CCS Open is for your own agenda in keeping your Division free of the top WCAL schools. But thats a topic for another thread;) Make that 56 posts on this thread...

Count moi a fan of anyone who manipulates the CCS system to avoid papal powers at any cost. Why suffer the consequences of an apples-and-oranges setup?

the top wcal schools? i think you just mean bellarmine... which won D1 even after finishing near the bottom of the wcal lol

Can't believe you guys don't know. And, how so far out of the loop you were, but yet you blame every event on parents based on assumptions. go figure!

It will not be Lryan that I can assure you, the Doctor is still the leader in the clubhouse but too many people looking for someone else but him. At this point if I were Rich I would say no to SH but his competitive juices run deeply. If it's him it's a game changer for that league and if SH goes with someone else it substantially shows that this is not a basketball decision but it is a wake up call to all who set thier sights on Ellis street... Do you really want all that confusion for your son?

Agreed, Rich should have withdrew his name long ago once they drew this process out. Like I said in an earlier post, he's better than that to have to go through such a rigorous process.

Reactions: rabbit5
Word is that a decision has been made and "it's a shocker." to quote another poster.... Coach Simos' breakdown very impressive. Almost as good as one of his scouting reports haha

Word is that a decision has been made and "it's a shocker." to quote another poster.... Coach Simos' breakdown very impressive. Almost as good as one of his scouting reports haha
Indeed a decision has been made and candidates notified.

Anyone but the Doctor is a shocker! I like the Doctor but I sure as hell didn't want to see him on the other bench opposite my Crusaders. Now it's back to us against them and I don't like them very much. I cannot wait to see who they settled on as coach.

Anyone but the Doctor is a shocker! I like the Doctor but I sure as hell didn't want to see him on the other bench opposite my Crusaders. Now it's back to us against them and I don't like them very much. I cannot wait to see who they settled on as coach.
Agreed! PAL 95s field bet was pretty good, but like he stated in his posts, the guy they got is a a really good option as well, if not the best. No knock on the Doctor, but maybe this was a better fit for the Irish. Now he can lay claim to the HMB gym as the House the Doctor built. ;)

Interesting sidenote. A couple weeks back the SH Administrator who I spoke to by chance, had said this was the dark horse, except the Doctor knocked his interview outta the park, or gym in this case. I didn't think anything of it, till PAL started alluding to it. As the process became drawn out it became evident the Rich was no longer the betting favorite and the field had closed the gap to make it a pickem.

Last edited:
Agreed! PAL 95s field bet was pretty good, but like he stated in his posts, the guy they got is a a really good option as well, if not the best. No knock on the Doctor, but maybe this was a better fit for the Irish. Now he can lay claim to the HMB gym as the House the Doctor built. ;)

Interesting sidenote. A couple weeks back the SH Administrator who I spoke to by chance, had said this was the dark horse, except the Doctor knocked his interview outta the park, or gym in this case. I didn't think anything of it, till PAL started alluding to it. As the process became drawn out it became evident the Rich was no longer the betting favorite and the field had closed the gap to make it a pickem.

:)

My darkhorse wins!! I will let them announce the name, but remember I said a eastbay coach who has a player for him in the NBA currently and 4 pg's got full rides. He will be excellent for this program.
In the long term or to appease this group and the immediate future? I don't see him staying longer and making this his last stop. I may be wrong, which of course happens time to time;) lol

Seamus couldn't just drop the name, could he?
Lol, I know, what's the holdup? Some sort of press conference or something? Apparently there was also another "Doc" in the running, and that is what slowed down the process. Doesn't matter now as the Irish made a solid choice and should do well this year and beyond.

Reactions: Irish_Cheers
Lol, I know, what's the holdup? Some sort of press conference or something? Apparently there was also another "Doc" in the running, and that is what slowed down the process. Doesn't matter now as the Irish made a solid choice and should do well this year and beyond.
Was just listening to Radnich and he made no mention of it. Maybe they are waiting till after his show, so he can emcee it LOL ;)

My darkhorse wins!! I will let them announce the name, but remember I said a eastbay coach who has a player for him in the NBA currently and 4 pg's got full rides. He will be excellent for this program.

OSU and current NBA Cunningham and New Irsih Coach = MacKay

Drum roll please....... They couldn't get the coach they really wanted so the
Second
Hand
Coach
Is........? Somebody that probably no longer wants the job

Twitter says Sean MacKay[/QUOT
Twitter says Sean MacKay
Well there you have it folks! Coach Mackay had some good years at San Leandro and I recall seeing a few of there games. I remember watching them at Mitty and thinking boy these guys are undersized but are as tough as nails and played hard. It was close until the last 4 minutes. This was when Gordon was a junior. Tallest guy was 6-4 on there team and gave Mitty all they could handle. His style of press and run will drive opposing guards hell in the WCAL. I think it will be something the league hasn't seen in league play. I also watched them lose to Deer Valley by 1 point at St Mary's in Moraga. That team had Marcus Lee(Kentucky) Kendal(Hawaii), again with a small squad this game could have gone either way, but size was a factor. He will now have more outlets to use to get players because they will WANT to play for him. He also was an assistant to San Jose City college legend Percy Carr and had to get some valuable knowledge. I was pulling for him and I am glad he got the "decision". And to those who think anyone backed out, you are wrong. Good luck Coach and the Irish.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT