ADVERTISEMENT

SHC Head coaching job available

PAL95, Who are the other candidates? Coach Forslund has a nice gig over at HMB. Doesn't really need the SH job, really nothing left to prove for him. Plus I don't think it would be an ideal pairing IMO.
That I cannot speak on. Sorry.

PAL95, Who are the other candidates? Coach Forslund has a nice gig over at HMB. Doesn't really need the SH job, really nothing left to prove for him. Plus I don't think it would be an ideal pairing IMO.
You'd be surprised. Its the 2nd time he has applied for this position. So obviously the WCAL itch is still there. Coaching the prime time games, rather than squaring off in Star Wars Themed Pre-season games in HMB. And I think thats why he is very interested, is because he wants to prove people wrong and make it an ideal pairing.

Well, out of all of those choices, someone will be a runner-up. Hopefully for the Doctor, its not him...again. Or worse, he isnt their first choice and he only gets it by default. It seems like this is his new dream job, after his alma mater let him down and he realized he could not bring prime time to the land of Pumpkins, now its to the Tenderloin aka Cathedral Hill ;) to resurrect, I mean sustain a program the Coach Barbour took to new heights, but then was unceremoniously let go or rather told to go teach his class and be happy ;)
1DNA, how did his alma mater let him down? It was the Doc who resigned, albeit for personal /family reasons. Coach Buck is Forslund's protégé and he's done a good job in spite of the year's when they were down in talent. Winning 2 CCS titles when he did have players, and playing in the CCS Open except for last season ,and playing for 2 NorCal titles in a row 3 seasons ago and barely losing to this year's state champ Manteca, who blitzed BOD in the Final ,in spite of having Stansberry and Smith at less than full strength. The Doc still appears at Crusader games in support of his Alma Mater. Am I missing something?

Doctor Forslund invented the jump stop years ago at BHS and it spread like wild fire in and out of San Mateo County now if given a chance to coach at SHC he will bring the lob dunk back to the WCAL! If Rich gets the job he will have that team in Norcal Championship this year and will be known as Dr. Final Forslund to all us who love the guy!

1DNA, how did his alma mater let him down? It was the Doc who resigned, albeit for personal /family reasons. Coach Buck is Forslund's protégé and he's done a good job in spite of the year's when they were down in talent. Winning 2 CCS titles when he did have players, and playing in the CCS Open except for last season ,and playing for 2 NorCal titles in a row 3 seasons ago and barely losing to this year's state champ Manteca, who blitzed BOD in the Final ,in spite of having Stansberry and Smith at less than full strength. The Doc still appears at Crusader games in support of his Alma Mater. Am I missing something?
Simply put he wasnt going to get the "funding" he needed to compete in League. Hence the itch for SH cause of the readily available funds. Its not knocking Riordan, but a man's perspective. Not necessarily mine though...yes he still at games and supports Buck. I love what Buck has done with the same limited resources, which ironically was one reason it was easier for the Doctor to step away. Among the others you listed.

Doctor Forslund invented the jump stop years ago at BHS and it spread like wild fire in and out of San Mateo County now if given a chance to coach at SHC he will bring the lob dunk back to the WCAL! If Rich gets the job he will have that team in Norcal Championship this year and will be known as Dr. Final Forslund to all us who love the guy!
You forgot Lowell too ;) lol

Simply put he wasnt going to get the "funding" he needed to compete in League. Hence the itch for SH cause of the readily available funds. Its not knocking Riordan, but a man's perspective. Not necessarily mine though...yes he still at games and supports Buck. I love what Buck has done with the same limited resources, which ironically was one reason it was easier for the Doctor to step away. Among the others you listed.
I agree with "funding" challenges 10 years ago, entirely new adminstration with a very capable biz dev director whose exceeded $$ goals significantly this year. I'm a huge Forslund fan, but I gotta give props to Coach Buck as he has worked with what has been presented to him and has had all of his teams competitive year in and year out. The team is also a great academic squad with co-valedictorians and a another accepted at Stanford. Forslund has already achieved a State title. It's now Coach Buck's time.

I agree with "funding" challenges 10 years ago, entirely new adminstration with a very capable biz dev director whose exceeded $$ goals significantly this year. I'm a huge Forslund fan, but I gotta give props to Coach Buck as he has worked with what has been presented to him and has had all of his teams competitive year in and year out. The team is also a great academic squad with co-valedictorians and a another accepted at Stanford. Forslund has already achieved a State title. It's now Coach Buck's time.
Agreed, but RB has also lamented about the lack of resources/funding and getting the type of players needed to compete AND win in the Open year in and year out. That said, I think you have missed my past posts about RB. I think no other could have gotten more out of what he has to work with. Its unfortunate he has never gotten the due credit because of the poor League results they have gotten more often than not, but RB has been the one consistent rock there. I hope with the new Dev Dir he is rewarded for what he's done with more scholly money but only time will tell. As for the Dr, I've always admired his Xs and Os. No coach is better prepared. However this pursuit of SH while running summer workouts at HMB is sort of ridiculous, as Ive also said in previous posts. Hes better than that to be treated as the default choice for the job. Id have more respect at this point if he came to them and said he needs a decision with the summer looming or else he's withdrawing his name. Seriously, wjat is SH waiting for if its not the Doctor lol are they trying to come up woth buy out money for a coach who is under contract ;)

Agreed, but RB has also lamented about the lack of resources/funding and getting the type of players needed to compete AND win in the Open year in and year out. That said, I think you have missed my past posts about RB. I think no other could have gotten more out of what he has to work with. Its unfortunate he has never gotten the due credit because of the poor League results they have gotten more often than not, but RB has been the one consistent rock there. I hope with the new Dev Dir he is rewarded for what he's done with more scholly money but only time will tell. As for the Dr, I've always admired his Xs and Os. No coach is better prepared. However this pursuit of SH while running summer workouts at HMB is sort of ridiculous, as Ive also said in previous posts. Hes better than that to be treated as the default choice for the job. Id have more respect at this point if he came to them and said he needs a decision with the summer looming or else he's withdrawing his name. Seriously, wjat is SH waiting for if its not the Doctor lol are they trying to come up woth buy out money for a coach who is under contract ;)
You will have to wait until next week.

You will have to wait until next week.
PAL, I dont mind the waiting but, Im sure some kids do who are going through summer workouts/conditioning right now. This whole process has been a joke. Do you believe this wait is warranted? If so, Im eager to see who they hire if its not the Doctor. For his sakes though, I hope he does so he can finally get peace of mind LOL

PAL, I dont mind the waiting but Im sure some kids do who are going through summer workoits/conditioning right now. This whole process has been a joke.
I'm with you! It would have been over 2 weeks ago until something happened which I will go into after the decision is made, so I hear. But regardless they should have had a coach by no later than June 1st

When did "the money" run out for Forslund? He had Kately and Tofi and won a state championship with them. His last year at Riordan he had Rob Jones and Camacho on the bench. Seems like he was pretty stacked during his entire tenure as coach. Was he told the "funding" was going to stop and that's why he left?

Also, other than Aaron Gordon and possibly Ben Kone, the league hasn't seen those types of players since that era. There aren't any Kately, Tofi, Jones, Camacho, D White, Chiverton, D Gordon, J Brown, K Greene type players in the league any longer. Maybe Forslund realized the well was running dry and left, who knows. The league is much different now than when he left. Look at what Rapp has done at Serra, not sure how many of those players are receiving any funding? I believe other than Killingsworth, who transferred in from out of state as a sophomore, the other 4 starters played JV as sophomores. Serra proved you don't need to have a Kately and Tofi to win state nowadays, since the advent of the open....but it sure helps if you do.

Forslund is a verry good coach who won a State Championship with 2 of the better players SF has seen in the last 20 years. Unless he is able to get another one of them, not sure the results will be much different than Barbour, who's resume at SHC rivals Forslund's at Riordan. As an SH alum I would be happy if he were the choice but I am also cautiously optimistic as to what the results will be. The same challenges Barbour had are still there for a few more years.

When did "the money" run out for Forslund? He had Kately and Tofi and won a state championship with them. His last year at Riordan he had Rob Jones and Camacho on the bench. Seems like he was pretty stacked during his entire tenure as coach. Was he told the "funding" was going to stop and that's why he left?

Also, other than Aaron Gordon and possibly Ben Kone, the league hasn't seen those types of players since that era. There aren't any Kately, Tofi, Jones, Camacho, D White, Chiverton, D Gordon, J Brown, K Greene type players in the league any longer. Maybe Forslund realized the well was running dry and left, who knows. The league is much different now than when he left. Look at what Rapp has done at Serra, not sure how many of those players are receiving any funding? I believe other than Killingsworth, who transferred in from out of state as a sophomore, the other 4 starters played JV as sophomores. Serra proved you don't need to have a Kately and Tofi to win state nowadays, since the advent of the open....but it sure helps if you do.

Forslund is a verry good coach who won a State Championship with 2 of the better players SF has seen in the last 20 years. Unless he is able to get another one of them, not sure the results will be much different than Barbour, who's resume at SHC rivals Forslund's at Riordan. As an SH alum I would be happy if he were the choice but I am also cautiously optimistic as to what the results will be. The same challenges Barbour had are still there for a few more years.
Agreed that arguably the 4 you listed (Kately, Tofi, Jones, Camacho) are the best players Riordan has produced since Jaha Wilson. However, there was increasing amount of scrutiny at the school during that time, as to how much and what sport was getting the allocated funding. Yes the League is much different now, but I know for a fact that Riordan has missed out on players because of lack of resources/funding since the Jones era. AS J XXIV noted it seems things may be changing now. I'm in the wait and see mode, as I know this school all too well when it comes down to $$$. RB has done a fantastic job working with what he has dealt with as I post here year in and year out. And yes, you don't need those high caliber players to win State now, but like you said it sure helps that you do or if you can have a shot at them.

Forslund (and his assistants) gets the most out of his kids. His teams are mandated to take good shots, mind the shot clock, limit turnovers and operate the offense with precision. Defensively, he is very demanding. He is not politically correct on the sidelines. Some parental units (and their entitled kids) cannot handle his approach, especially now in our wonderful world of helicopter moms and dads and mindless AAU street agents and self-promoting gurus. It's entirely possible that SHC would not work out for him at this point in time. Who knows. He does have major hoops commitments not far away at the Olympic Club. So that, in itself, might be a good reason to stay in SF. We'll see.

Reactions: BadBucks
WCAL fans may recall that Forslund would immediately take out a Crusader player if he missed a defensive/offensive assignment, committed an unforced turnover, or put up a questionable shot. His players knew exactly why they were pulled, and did not complain, sulk on the bench or show bad body language running off the floor. Don't think that would go over well with the current team on Ellis St.

Last edited:
WCAL fans may recall that Forslund would immediately take out a Crusader player if he missed a defensive/offensive assignment, committed an unforced turnover, or put up a questionable shot. His players knew exactly why they were pulled, and did not complain, sulk on the bench or show bad body language running off the floor. Don't think that would go over well with the current team on Ellis St.

Maybe ONE player...

LMFAO. That ms when I first signed up on Norcalpreps under 1DNA and would post "Friends of the program are not pleased with the quick hooks, mainly for Tofi." I knew Rich was reading or his minions would read it and get back to him. I've known Rich since he's coached me and my parents were close to him too, so mostly done tongue in cheek. That said, I'll call out the elephant in the room and say this would probably not be a good fit for him either. Then again, most of his schools aren't by year 7-8-9 ;)

Reactions: Crusaders70
True. The Physician does not roll the melons out, sit back, relax and let the youngsters run up and down the floor like dodgeball dervishes. How old-fashioned and utterly boring.

Who are the candidates for the SHC job?
Are they waiting from someone from out of the state?
This is ridiculous that they are waiting this long.
Do they think they are getting Steve Lavin or Rex Walters or Coach Perez?
At this point Coach Perez would be the ideal candidate. Great person and has a lot of clout on campus. Hire a full time guy next year. Its too late

I would be surprised if LyRyan crossed over before IImar'I graduates I hear he is pretty close with her and her mom. He was a major factor in her going there in the first place.

I would be surprised if LyRyan crossed over before IImar'I graduates I hear he is pretty close with her and her mom. He was a major factor in her going there in the first place.
I'd be surprised too since he's relatively new at coaching. But he's good. He keeps his head in the game.

Last edited:
hope they find one soon. just came back from a couple summer league games. the starting three show leadership and know now how to close out games. the new coach has alot of work with lasts year JV but the he got size and very atheletic. summer league coach good job sticking to his offense plan and the boys arent just relying on two boys. i believe the boys playing better this year without alford. because they play offense together and relying not one a one man offense

Should be coming to an end soon now. The Warriors season is finally over, so now they can interview Kerr and negotiate his buyout directly with him. ;)

Kerr eliminated himself from the running or possibly lowered his buyout amount significantly with his bonehead decision to re-insert Ezeli late game 7 as well as continuing to switch Curry and/or smaller players onto LeBron throughout the series. :)

Reactions: BadBucks and PAL95
The Admin at Valley Christian at least got a coach in place earlier than SHC. That tells you something about the Admin and AD.

Kerr eliminated himself from the running or possibly lowered his buyout amount significantly with his bonehead decision to re-insert Ezeli late game 7 as well as continuing to switch Curry and/or smaller players onto LeBron throughout the series. :)
AGREED!

The Admin at Valley Christian at least got a coach in place earlier than SHC. That tells you something about the Admin and AD.

That they're better or they don't care?

We'll probably know this week, I hope. Russell's name is a little better than a rumor.

Last edited:
If Russell got the job and then the girls program is behind and they would have to go through the interview process. I don't think that panel wants to go through another interview process over the summer. They can't even make a decision on this one. Why don't they wait until school starts?

Lets see how long it takes St.Francis to hire a baseball coach. I know different sport but it can't he handled worse than SHC

If Russell got the job and then the girls program is behind and they would have to go through the interview process. I don't think that panel wants to go through another interview process over the summer. They can't even make a decision on this one. Why don't they wait until school starts?
Agreed and an excellent point. If they did hire Russell they essentially would still be in the same predicament. Not sure they would want to do that to their prestigious girls program now that Russell has reenergized the program.

I believe we should know by Wednesday.[/QUOTe I also have heard from multiple peeps that Hollins is being pursued by Findley Prep which someone eluded to earlier. If this team stays intact and no one transfers then the coach who I believe will be the coach will win the WCAL this year. Mark my words.

I made mention of Hollins xferring out previously and was quickly dismissed. If not Findley, how about with Phillipe in Napa;)That said, will KRON be televising the press conference and will Gary Radnich get the 1st interview ;)

Anybody but The Doc being hired at SHC is a mistake. Sorry to say but out of all the other candidates that were in the pool no one is even close to matching resumes. Give the doctor athletes and he will play a good style and install a system to match their strengths. That's what makes him the best candidate for the job. He will adjust to whatever he has to work with. All other candidates would be new or have very little experience coaching and dealing with the type of league that is the WCAL. The Hollins rumors happen every year. Last year it was a certain coach willing to help him go to a Prep school but he wouldn't go because he would not be a starter but come off the bench there. Best thing that kid can do is finish at SHC and leave this area for college. He is carrying a lot on his shoulders because a lot of people are counting on him to "make it." He's a special talent and I think he would flourish under the Doc. My guess is Wednesday or Thursday we will see a tweet with an announcement of the hiring. SHC summer team will be playing in a tourney this weekend in Lake Tahoe. Hope the Doc brings his SPF 50.

Anybody but The Doc being hired at SHC is a mistake. Sorry to say but out of all the other candidates that were in the pool no one is even close to matching resumes. Give the doctor athletes and he will play a good style and install a system to match their strengths. That's what makes him the best candidate for the job. He will adjust to whatever he has to work with. All other candidates would be new or have very little experience coaching and dealing with the type of league that is the WCAL. The Hollins rumors happen every year. Last year it was a certain coach willing to help him go to a Prep school but he wouldn't go because he would not be a starter but come off the bench there. Best thing that kid can do is finish at SHC and leave this area for college. He is carrying a lot on his shoulders because a lot of people are counting on him to "make it." He's a special talent and I think he would flourish under the Doc. My guess is Wednesday or Thursday we will see a tweet with an announcement of the hiring. SHC summer team will be playing in a tourney this weekend in Lake Tahoe. Hope the Doc brings his SPF 50.
There alot of people that actually do not want the doc in the WCAL. You would be surprised. I think you are very wrong when saying he is the only one out of the candidates that can get it done. There is one with a very good resume who is a players coach that can get even more talent to SHC. Kids these days would respond differently to the Docs style of coaching and I think it would be a tough situation for him. The kids would transfer out lol. We will see though!!!!

The question is do you want to succeed and build a program or keep the player's coach aspect and keep the players and parents happy and running the program? Nobody was more of a player's coach than coach Barbour and that didn't end well from what I have heard. As far as getting kids to SHC, they already have a good history of doing that and nothing attracts more good players than winning which the Doc has done in the league before. It's the known been there, done that of Forslund vs the potential in other candidates. As far as other people not wanting the Doc back in the league... Hmmm what would be the valid reasons for that?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT