ADVERTISEMENT

SHC Head coaching job available

That is too bad! sounds like SHC admin listens to the parents. I agree it shouldn't take this long and summer is such an important piece to developing chemistry.

Reactions: M&M Boys3
Maybe the parents can coach by committee! Each mom/dad takes turns each game, hell even each quarter. Think of all the fun!

Chances are they crawled back to Barbour and are begging him to be the coach again if its taken this long.

Now summer games are starting, and the longer they wait it continues to make things worse by the day.

I dont think summer leagues make any difference in who's coaching. Those games aren't sanctioned. In fact, they're more like club games. They could get anybody to play.

Last edited:
It does make a difference if the summer league coach will not be retained by the new head coach. Especially if the new head coach has a totally different system. Summer is the time to implement the philosophy of the new coach.

It does make a difference if the summer league coach will not be retained by the new head coach. Especially if the new head coach has a totally different system. Summer is the time to implement the philosophy of the new coach.
Really curious as to why this has taken so long...maybe there is a disagreement as to who should get the gig. Similar to the SI coaching situation last year when Marcaletti was ultimately chosen after a long fight behind the scenes.

The reason for the delay is one of the ADs is dealings with a family health matter i hear. However yes very unproductive to have waited this long to hire. This should have been done earlier but the summer for SHC has not always been a great point of emphasis in the past. I have seen them participate in tourneys out of the area before and the city college summer league but I don't think they even practiced in the past during the week at all. Just what I was told by some players. I even saw I think Nate Robinson's dad coaching them in the Sequoia summer league last year. So yea maybe he wants a seat on the bench also. Heard that he told the former coach that he wouldn't let any other coaches but the head coach coach his son over the summer. Haha wow

Reactions: Irish_Cheers
The reason for the delay is one of the ADs is dealings with a family health matter i hear. However yes very unproductive to have waited this long to hire. This should have been done earlier but the summer for SHC has not always been a great point of emphasis in the past. I have seen them participate in tourneys out of the area before and the city college summer league but I don't think they even practiced in the past during the week at all. Just what I was told by some players. I even saw I think Nate Robinson's dad coaching them in the Sequoia summer league last year. So yea maybe he wants a seat on the bench also. Heard that he told the former coach that he wouldn't let any other coaches but the head coach coach his son over the summer. Haha wow
Its all ridiculous as I put it an earlier post. And the candidates who are finalists for this position are the biggest frauds/hypocrites if they are holding summer workouts already with their current team, only to kick them to the curb and turn their backs on them should they be offered the job. At the very least, have your assistants run summer workouts for the time being, since your preoccupied waiting for that phone call from a 415 area code anyways.;)

Reactions: GOTF
Both coaches are doing the right thing by coaching their present teams . They have not go the SHC job yet, so why would they leave now and sit at home and wait and see if they get the SHC job. RIDICULOUS !!!
Keep coaching their tails off
SHC should hire an interim coach and then open the job next year. It is already summer and is putting all the programs behind once a change is made at the top. ONe of these schools will be the big "LOSER"

Agreed. All those players putting in the work for a coach who will turn their backs at them at a moments notice will be the loser. Everyone loses out. ;)

I Disagree. Too bad SHC wasn't more on top of this hiring in the first place. It should not have taken this long. It doesn't take that long to do some interviews and make a choice. I do it every year as AD. The coaches are actually doing the right thing coaching their teams during this uncertainty. Hopefully they are getting things in order as well in case they do in fact move on. No matter what when one coach leaves for another position there is an adjustment period. In my perspective at this point I would be more concerned that the grass is not really greener in the land of the Irish.

Reactions: BadBucks
I Disagree. Too bad SHC wasn't more on top of this hiring in the first place. It should not have taken this long. It doesn't take that long to do some interviews and make a choice. I do it every year as AD. The coaches are actually doing the right thing coaching their teams during this uncertainty. Hopefully they are getting things in order as well in case they do in fact move on. No matter what when one coach leaves for another position there is an adjustment period. In my perspective at this point I would be more concerned that the grass is not really greener in the land of the Irish.
Geeze, guy wins his first CCS D1 title with the help of the CCS Open and now he's giving an AD/coach perspective ;) forgot this was a HS coaches board. Who cares if your asking a player to buy into a program or to continue to believe and trust him even though he can be gone at the next call from the 415. "okay, lets get the big down at the other end working on post moves and guards stay here working on......hold on guys. I've been waiting for this call. If I dont get back, you guys should have a new coach faster than it took for me to go through this process with SH. But work hard. No one is working harder right now than us. Ok be right back.....I think....hopefully not though." ;)

The school, the prestige, the history, the gymnasium (Don't start...) and the WCAL.

Irish, the only prestige outside of the lone Boys state title under Barbour resides on the Girls side. Even this alum knows we are more successful on the Girls' side of the ball.

how are the facilities at SHC? I know the gym is fairly new. Do they have two gyms?
Yes. They still use the old gym for practices. The new gym seats 1200 has a bright interior, high ceilings and good sight lines.
For practices, they can pull the seats back and have two full-sized courts to use. Much more space than Riordan has.

Last edited:
That is definitely not the reason for the delay........

Irish, the only prestige outside of the lone Boys state title under Barbour resides on the Girls side. Even this alum knows we are more successful on the Girls' side of the ball.
Still, the program goes back to 1908. A century later, they get a State title. Harry Heilmann played on the 1911 team.

The hold up is that they offered the job to a SHCP Basketball alumni (A very good one) that lives out of state and he has now decided the move would not be beneficial to his family. I don't think the Dr. liked the fact that he was second choice again but he may be the front runner now.

The hold up is that they offered the job to a SHCP Basketball alumni (A very good one) that lives out of state and he has now decided the move would not be beneficial to his family. I don't think the Dr. liked the fact that he was second choice again but he may be the front runner now.
Wrong also......

That's life! Dr.Rich second choice is like coming in second in PAL finals! Dr. stay in hmb you guys are rolling with the wins you soon will inducted into hmb hall of fame and you sell great pancakes at the punkin festival what else to you want?

That's life! Dr.Rich second choice is like coming in second in PAL finals! Dr. stay in hmb you guys are rolling with the wins you soon will inducted into hmb hall of fame and you sell great pancakes at the punkin festival what else to you want?
Maybe also Grand Marshall of the Mavericks Surfing Event ;)

Things are about to get very interesting in the next week! You can't go wrong with the choices they have as of now.

who is the SHC that was supposedly offered the job? WHy would this person be a perfect fit? I don't know of SHC alums that have high school coaching experience out of state

who is the SHC that was supposedly offered the job? WHy would this person be a perfect fit? I don't know of SHC alums that have high school coaching experience out of state
I would say out of the all the choices they have at this point, all of them would be solid hires that would make a significant impact on the program.

I would say out of the all the choices they have at this point, all of them would be solid hires that would make a significant impact on the program.
Well, out of all of those choices, someone will be a runner-up. Hopefully for the Doctor, its not him...again. Or worse, he isnt their first choice and he only gets it by default. It seems like this is his new dream job, after his alma mater let him down and he realized he could not bring prime time to the land of Pumpkins, now its to the Tenderloin aka Cathedral Hill ;) to resurrect, I mean sustain a program the Coach Barbour took to new heights, but then was unceremoniously let go or rather told to go teach his class and be happy ;)

Well, out of all of those choices, someone will be a runner-up. Hopefully for the Doctor, its not him...again. Or worse, he isnt their first choice and he only gets it by default. It seems like this is his new dream job, after his alma mater let him down and he realized he could not bring prime time to the land of Pumpkins, now its to the Tenderloin aka Cathedral Hill ;) to resurrect, I mean sustain a program the Coach Barbour took to new heights, but then was unceremoniously let go or rather told to go teach his class and be happy ;)
I personally like the other candidates. Not a knock on Doc as we know what he brings to the table, but I think these other ones bring in a more updated and exciting style of play that will utilize athletes, win big games, and get players to the next level. I guess it depends on what your cup of tea is.

BREAKING: In an unprecidented move, Sacred Heart Cathedral and Prolific Prep have decided to merge. The new school will be called Prolific Sacred Heart Cathedral Prep. All players on the basketball team will be on the roster. New head coach will be SHC alum Phil Doherty.

I personally like the other candidates. Not a knock on Doc as we know what he brings to the table, but I think these other ones bring in a more updated and exciting style of play that will utilize athletes, win big games, and get players to the next level. I guess it depends on what your cup of tea is.
PAL95, Who are the other candidates? Coach Forslund has a nice gig over at HMB. Doesn't really need the SH job, really nothing left to prove for him. Plus I don't think it would be an ideal pairing IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT