ADVERTISEMENT

WCAL 2022 Projections

Apparently their jr QB that led Granada to their 10-0 JV record was the MVP at the Notre Dame QB camp this summer. Kid has a cannon for an arm, but really was just chucking it hoping his receivers could run under it. The speedy Crusader DBs were in better position resulting in 3 picks. Isiah Chala had a number of clean hits on him (and a few questionable flags) and his constant pressure caused a couple of the picks and numerous incompletions.
The Riordan freshman qb, Mike Mitchell Jr., actually outplayed him. The young man has a next level approach to the qb position and was really poised throughout the game. Has a nice delivery and was very accurate.
Granada got really chippy in the second half when Riordan opened up its lead and Granada was consistently getting stopped. Ultimately the game was called with still 4 min remaining after the flagrant foul away from the ball when a Granada kid slammed a Riordan player to the ground. Riordan had already started subbing to start the 4th.

Reactions: MC415
Apparently their jr QB that led Granada to their 10-0 JV record was the MVP at the Notre Dame QB camp this summer. Kid has a cannon for an arm, but really was just chucking it hoping his receivers could run under it. The speedy Crusader DBs were in better position resulting in 3 picks. Isiah Chala had a number of clean hits on him (and a few questionable flags) and his constant pressure caused a couple of the picks and numerous incompletions.
The Riordan freshman qb, Mike Mitchell Jr., actually outplayed him. The young man has a next level approach to the qb position and was really poised throughout the game. Has a nice delivery and was very accurate.
Granada got really chippy in the second half when Riordan opened up its lead and Granada was consistently getting stopped. Ultimately the game was called with still 4 min remaining after the flagrant foul away from the ball when a Granada kid slammed a Riordan player to the ground. Riordan had already started subbing to start the 4th.

The Mike Mitchell kid is a double hold back and should be a sophmore or junior right now. It cracks me up when these guys hold back and then come in and are viewed like actual 14 year old freshman. I found out about this when he was practicing with DLS.

I just learned that Serra has a ton of hold backs on their roster as well. Everyone was talking about how old the MD team was in the state championship game last year. Whats the difference?

Reactions: Scott2138
Explain this "hold back". Is it along the lines of the child was born just after Sept 1 and missed the cut off to be in that class and instead is now the oldest in the upcoming class? This is obviously beneficial as one more year of physical and mental maturity couldnt hurt at all.

The Mike Mitchell kid is a double hold back and should be a sophmore or junior right now. It cracks me up when these guys hold back and then come in and are viewed like actual 14 year old freshman. I found out about this when he was practicing with DLS.

I just learned that Serra has a ton of hold backs on their roster as well. Everyone was talking about how old the MD team was in the state championship game last year. Whats the difference?
Did you find their birth dates or something? How did you learn this? I mean, Atonio Mafi was one of Serra’s best players ever, and he was 17 years old playing his freshman year at UCLA.

Never said elite just said a lot of hype, there was west coast prep article touting them and their 10-0 JV team that was coming up……outside of that I have zero knowledge
Ok I looked at their JV record last year. They were 10-0, but the wins against Riordan & Fremont (Oakland) were forfeits. They did however post 5 rather impressive high scoring shutouts against some weaker teams. They may be an “EBAL” team, but no games against DLS, SRV, Cal, MV or CVC. Maybe they’ll step it up after this and run the table in the EBAL Valley, but it looks like ARHS took the hype right out of them.

Reactions: MC415
Did you find their birth dates or something? How did you learn this? I mean, Atonio Mafi was one of Serra’s best players ever, and he was 17 years old playing his freshman year at UCLA.

He played 7on7 with my grandson and when they all went to high school he went back to 8th grade. Thats how I know. It's not a secret, ask anyone over at KT Prep 7on7.

Reactions: THEOC89
I wasn’t asking about Mitchell, I’m skeptical about the validity of the latter half of your statement.

Nothing wrong with a little gap year or two before high school. Plenty of academies here in SoCal cater to that such as Stars, WCA, and now Big Dave Uiagalelei has started his own. Even Malcolm Gladwell covered the whole advantage of being a holdback in his book outliers, which I'm sure people in SF and SIlicon Valley are familiar with his work.

He played 7on7 with my grandson and when they all went to high school he went back to 8th grade. Thats how I know. It's not a secret, ask anyone over at KT Prep 7on7.
14yr old, 15 yr old, lots of kids enter HS at those ages. Why throw shade on the kid? His first pass in his varsity career went for a 55 yd TD against kids 2-3 years older than him. It appeared the KT coaches celebrated his achievement rather than throw the kid under the bus about his age.

A 15 year old turning 16 years old getting attention for being a "freshman" is a little like telling a lie. In college they always make sure to say "redshirt freshman" - they don't try to pass the kid off as a true freshman.

The kid at UCLA should be celebrated for being a actual 14 year old freshman.

What's your beef against this kid and the Serra players?

No beef at all

I just think there is a reason why everyone gets excited when a freshman player plays up on varsity. This excitement is due to the kid being younger playing with or against older kids.

I also heard a lot of talk about MD being so much older than Serra in the state game. Only to find out Serra is doing the same thing.

It just can't be bad southern section and good northern section when everything is equal.

The UCLA kid was actually a 13-year-old freshman in HS. I’m still not seeing why you think Serra players are doing the same thing Mitchell did. NorCal doesn’t have the prep sports academies designed for hold backs that SoCal does.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT