ADVERTISEMENT

WCAL 2022 Projections

I think only O Lu did last year and they won CIF SS but lost in a regional bowl game to Cathedral Catholic which played and beat the mighty Folsom Bulldawgs. If another trinity league teams goes to the bowl game besides the Open, my money would be on Santa Margarita. They are loaded this year but not enough to overcome the old money powers Mater Dei and Bosco. SM now has a top 2024 recruit from Georgia and a top 2025 recruit internet sensation Tyler Parker, along with a ton of players from Servite who transferred in due to the scandal at their school.
SM should Finish 3rd Based on their talent in the TL so that puts them in SS D1 so no lower level Playoffs for them like OLU benefitted from last year…..

The Question is can they knock off SJB like Servite did last year…. I am saying a Hard No on that…..

Reactions: concrete17
They take transfers, but seniors who transfer can't graduate (according to what was said on the podcast) because of classes that need to be taken before graduation.
Didn't Hunter Bishop transfer in for his senior season from St Francis a few years ago?

If you are speaking of Hunter Bishop who was drafted by the Giants, he played his junior year of baseball at Serra. So couldn’t have been a senior transfer.

Reactions: Santa Ball
I told all of you guys he was heading to MD. It was reported weeks ago on our trinity league forums.

According to what was said on the podcast, a kid can't graduate from the school by transferring in senior year. But they can transfer prior to that and graduate. I think a few basketball players transferred in during the spring semester of their junior year and then played at Serra and graduated.

According to what was said on the podcast, a kid can't graduate from the school by transferring in senior year. But they can transfer prior to that and graduate. I think a few basketball players transferred in during the spring semester of their junior year and then played at Serra and graduated.

How do Serra football kids do academically when they go to college? I hear they have a lot of Juco bounce backs and non NCAA qualifiers (Academics). a lot of the College of San Mateo football players are from Serra.

If this is the case why wouldn't they be able to graduate if they transferred in during their senior year? If a kid is coming from a superior academic school this shouldn't be a problem.

Reactions: Scott2138
what's going on with the class of 2024? I don't see any of the usual representatives on the list from the dominant programs up north.

How do Serra football kids do academically when they go to college? I hear they have a lot of Juco bounce backs and non NCAA qualifiers (Academics). a lot of the College of San Mateo football players are from Serra.

If this is the case why wouldn't they be able to graduate if they transferred in during their senior year? If a kid is coming from a superior academic school this shouldn't be a problem.
There were four Serra kids on last year’s CSM roster, but players at Jucos are often looking for offers/ better opportunities, rather than having academic issues. Luke Bottari, for example, was a very good student who wanted better looks from colleges. He ended up at Utah.

Serra football has had kids go to Cal, UCLA, Stanford, Columbia, UVA, etc. in recent years, as well as D3 high academic schools like Pomona.

Last edited:
If you are speaking of Hunter Bishop who was drafted by the Giants, he played his junior year of baseball at Serra. So couldn’t have been a senior transfer.
True, he was also a helluva ball boy for bayside broncos Pop Warner, 🤣 . Hard to find a better family than the Bishops.

Reactions: Scott2138
On further review, here is a purely speculative guess regarding the trending status of each of the eight grid programs in the WCAL heading into the 2022 campaign:

Archibishop Mitty, falling
Archibishop Riordan, rising
Bellarmine Prep, rising
Junipero Serra, stationary
Sacred Heart Cathedral, stationary
St. Francis, stationary
St. Ignatius, stationary
Valley Christian, falling

Bottom line: The league's state-caliber units may be in short supply this year. Not enough clearly dominant programs at this point. Talk among yourselves.

I would agree with @colhenrylives' initial assessment. Serra appears the best of the bunch with St. Francis close behind re state caliber units. Riordan has 160 players in its program and will be bringing back its JV team. Does anyone know if VC, Mitty and SHC will be bringing back its JV teams this season?
@Rmbr26 , will you be bringing back your WCAL analysis/projections? Us posters anxiously await!

I would agree with @colhenrylives' initial assessment. Serra appears the best of the bunch with St. Francis close behind re state caliber units. Riordan has 160 players in its program and will be bringing back its JV team. Does anyone know if VC, Mitty and SHC will be bringing back its JV teams this season?
@Rmbr26 , will you be bringing back your WCAL analysis/projections? Us posters anxiously await!
I don't trust those MaxPreps rosters. SHC is coming out with a new athletics website (something better than that ill-conceived "app" they had last season, I hope). I'll keep a look out for it.
The WCAL site has the composite schedule available. SHC is the only one that doesn't have a JV team listed.

I asked about the turnout for the Frosh on Twitter and received "We'll be all right" for a response. No definition of "all right" though...

WCAL Composite 2022 Football Schedule

Last edited:
Bellarmine’s and Riordan’s rosters appear accurate. The 160 Riordan players was quoted from a recent write up of the team.

On further review, here is a purely speculative guess regarding the trending status of each of the eight grid programs in the WCAL heading into the 2022 campaign:

Archibishop Mitty, falling
Archibishop Riordan, rising
Bellarmine Prep, rising
Junipero Serra, stationary
Sacred Heart Cathedral, stationary
St. Francis, stationary
St. Ignatius, stationary
Valley Christian, falling

Bottom line: The league's state-caliber units may be in short supply this year. Not enough clearly dominant programs at this point. Talk among yourselves.
This is a really good take on where the league is at. Assuming Riordan has a steady rise up, I wonder which programs get hit the hardest.

It might be worth noting that a 2021 transfer at Serra may have a significant impact on the WCAL in 2022. Maealluaki Smith is an athletic 6-4 QB who is reported to be a serious college prospect at the position. He was a backup for the Padres last year and saw very limited duty as Serra went 11-2 and represented the North in the CIF Open Division finale vs. Mater Dei. Smith came to the San Mateo school from the Sacramento area. So he's not a home-grown talent on West 20th Avenue. But he's had a full year to get acclimated and there is high hope for him as the new season approaches. We shall see.

@Irish_Cheers, any update if the Irish will be fielding a JV team? Looking at the master schedule, Valley Christian and Riordan have their JV teams returning this season.
So far, it looks like no JV's this season either. They're working on a new athletic site but it isn't up yet. The composite WCAL schedule doesn't show a JV team either.

So far, it looks like no JV's this season either. They're working on a new athletic site but it isn't up yet. The composite WCAL schedule doesn't show a JV team either.
Looking forward to the new SHC athletic site. SHC was one of the few schools to post team pictures.

Ranking the WCAL? All I know is that Valley, Serra and St.Francis have lost a lot of talent. And, Bellarmine will have an O-line and D-line to compete for the first time in many years. Scary when you figure they finished 3rd in CCS last year. They have not lost ANY D1 guys. And their freshman team that went undefeated a few years back, well they are all seniors now. D1 recruits o-plenty. A bunch of names you have not heard before are about to start poppin.

Ranking the WCAL? All I know is that Valley, Serra and St.Francis have lost a lot of talent. And, Bellarmine will have an O-line and D-line to compete for the first time in many years. Scary when you figure they finished 3rd in CCS last year. They have not lost ANY D1 guys. And their freshman team that went undefeated a few years back, well they are all seniors now. D1 recruits o-plenty. A bunch of names you have not heard before are about to start poppin.
I have a hunch BCP will be better this year than last year relative to other WCAL brothers. Is it enough to top Serra or SF? That is yet to be seen. I follow VC most closely and I personally have big questions about their team this year. I hope they surprise me.

Both Serra and Riordan have FRESHMAN players listed on their Varsity rosters. I hear both Serra and Riordan have 2 promising QBs (Brandon Mann @ Serra / Michael Mitchell Jr. @ Riordan) and the other Riordan frosh (Michael Langi) is a lineman. I thought freshman are not allowed on varsity rosters? do they need to have an exemption or something?

Both Serra and Riordan have FRESHMAN players listed on their Varsity rosters. I hear both Serra and Riordan have 2 promising QBs (Brandon Mann @ Serra / Michael Mitchell Jr. @ Riordan) and the other Riordan frosh (Michael Langi) is a lineman. I thought freshman are not allowed on varsity rosters? do they need to have an exemption or something?
Serra had four frosh on varsity during the COVID spring season and at least 3 of them started. They are all juniors now. I have heard of cases where freshmen need OKs from the section to play varsíty because of age.

Reactions: ArmchairGOAT
Its more age than class. Rule is you have to be 15 to play varsity or there is a waiver parents can sign to allow 14 year old's to play varsity.

Reactions: ArmchairGOAT
Fun fact…Mitchell Jr started this summer as an incoming frosh at DLS and was practicing with varsity. No word on what happened with him switching to Riordan.

and also sad for the state of public schools in the Peninsula around them that have dwindling numbers as far as rosters go. Most struggling to carry 25-30+ Varsity players total. No high school football program needs 300+ players.

My buddy's son plays youth football down on the peninsula for the Bayside Broncos. He said the Serra HC Pat Walsh has a son the team. Walsh has the Serra O/C drawing up the plays and coaching the bayside broncos offense on the weekends. Now this is a great way to recruit kids into a program.

My buddy also said that his kid goes to Serra practices and hangs out on the field with the coaches during practice.

If a public school was doing this on the peninsula this would be considered illegal recruiting. Youth football and youth camps are a great way to get to know the kids and parents. Public schools need to figure it out or be left behind.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT