ADVERTISEMENT

WCAL 2022 Projections

For the Padres, the big issue (pardon the pun) is quality linemen. They graduated a very solid cadre of very large lads. Replacing them is going to be a challenge. Not to mention the early portion of their schedule. To state it's challenging would be an understatement.

Last edited:
My buddy's son plays youth football down on the peninsula for the Bayside Broncos. He said the Serra HC Pat Walsh has a son the team. Walsh has the Serra O/C drawing up the plays and coaching the bayside broncos offense on the weekends. Now this is a great way to recruit kids into a program.

My buddy also said that his kid goes to Serra practices and hangs out on the field with the coaches during practice.

If a public school was doing this on the peninsula this would be considered illegal recruiting. Youth football and youth camps are a great way to get to know the kids and parents. Public schools need to figure it out or be left behind.
I thought his son was a golfer

Wow! WCAL has 3 Freshman on the QB list. #9 Michael Mitchell Jr - Riordan; # 24 Caedon Afsharipour - St. Ignatius and #67 Brandon Mann - Serra. While football top Player lists need to be taken with a grain of salt, it's just great to see the league bringing in promising student-athletes.

For the Padres, the big issue (pardon the pun) is quality linemen. They graduated a very solid cadre of very large lads. Replacing them is going to be a challenge. Not to mention the early portion of their schedule. To state it's challenging would be an understatement.
No doubt, but Serra still has some big kids. They seem to churn them out yearly. Just quick scan of HUDL
  • G - Sr. - 6'4" - 300lbs
  • C, DT • Sr. • 6' 7" • 320 lbs
  • C, G • So. • 6' 3" • 300 lbs
  • G - Jr. - 6'1" - 300lbs
  • T • Sr. • 6' 4" • 285 lbs
  • T - So. - 6'5" - 225lbs
  • OL - Sr. - 6'1" - 260lbs

Anyone have insight to whether or not Jordan Fatu is at SH anymore? Did not see his name on the football roster on school's new athletic site. Huge loss to that O-line if indeed he has departed.

Anyone have insight to whether or not Jordan Fatu is at SH anymore? Did not see his name on the football roster on school's new athletic site. Huge loss to that O-line if indeed he has departed.
He shows on the SHC roster on MaxPreps. Not sure how updated that is.

FYI. Maybe you guys should set up a game now that there is an empty football stadium in Oakland.

Nah high school stadiums are way more unique and authentic feel to it, your Mercenaries teams can do whatever y’all wanna do down there since it’s basically it’s college football anyways……..I like the separation personally of each level of football

• Haha
Reactions: QPRTrinity
Unless my math is still staring at a fourth grade level, the 2022 Serra varsity roster, as listed now on MaxPreps, features nine sophs and one freshman. Can you say "rebuilding year?"

Unless my math is still staring at a fourth grade level, the 2022 Serra varsity roster, as listed now on MaxPreps, features nine sophs and one freshman. Can you say "rebuilding year?"

Those freshman probably came from from Coach Walsh's Bayside Broncos youth football program.

Reactions: Santa Ball
WCAL Week #1 Picks

Who you got?

1. Serra @ Folsom - SERRA
  2. Central Catholic @ St. Francis - ST. FRANCIS
  3. Bellarmine @ M-A - BELLARMINE
  4. Palo Alto @ St. Ignatius - ST. IGNATIUS
  5. Palma @ Mitty - PALMA
  6. Sacred Heart Prep (Atherton) @ SHC - SHC
  7. Granada @ Riordan - RIORDAN
  8. Wilcox @ Valley Christian - VALLEY CHRISTIAN

I'd rather play it safe and have Serra lose a close one away from home, so they can recharge, have film to study, and then beat De La L.

WCAL Week #1 Picks

Who you got?

5. Palma @ Mitty - PALMA
Yes. It's an all-papal sweep. Glory be. And pass the collection basket.

Reactions: Santa Ball
One caveat, SHP is going to be very tough this year. So, even a W over SHC means that papal sweep remains intact.

My buddy's son plays youth football down on the peninsula for the Bayside Broncos. He said the Serra HC Pat Walsh has a son the team. Walsh has the Serra O/C drawing up the plays and coaching the bayside broncos offense on the weekends. Now this is a great way to recruit kids into a program.

My buddy also said that his kid goes to Serra practices and hangs out on the field with the coaches during practice.

If a public school was doing this on the peninsula this would be considered illegal recruiting. Youth football and youth camps are a great way to get to know the kids and parents. Public schools need to figure it out or be left behind.

Thanks for sharing!

This is not talked about enough. I don’t think the public school coaches have any lack of “want to” it’s just that the rules so heavily favor the privates.

Saint Francis graduated 16 starters. The only starter that is returning is the QB. So the team will be made up of junior’s that have no varsity experience. it’s the mother of all reloades

Thanks for sharing!

This is not talked about enough. I don’t think the public school coaches have any lack of “want to” it’s just that the rules so heavily favor the privates.
Of course. It's a stark contrast of two different enrollment rules. Check the rosters of, say, Mountain View HS and nearby St. Francis HS. Apples and oranges. The former is basically a neighborhood team; the latter is a regional all-star team with players from all over the Peninsula and southern Bay Area. It's no different at any of the other private/parochial programs. .

Reactions: scvalfan
WCAL Week #1 Picks

Who you got?

5. Palma @ Mitty - PALMA
Big opening week for the WCAL in playing the top two teams (IMO) from the SJS and then taking on a Top 5 or so team from the CCS. Also, what does VC look like against a Wilcox team that doesn't look as good as last year, but still returns some good players.

I like your picks but would go with Folsom over Serra.

Reactions: ArmchairGOAT
WCAL Week #1 Picks

Who you got?

5. Palma @ Mitty - PALMA
1. Folsom over Serra at Folsom by 10 final score: 34-24
2. CC over St. Francis at St. Francis by 12 final score: 42-30
3. Menlo-Atherton over Bellarmine at MA by 3 final score: 20-17
4. St. Ignatius over Palo Alto at SI by 11 final score: 31-20
5. Mitty over Palma at Foothill College by 1 final score: 17-16
6. SH Cathedral over SH Prep at Kezar by 17 final score: 41-24
7. Riordan over Granada at Riordan (Saturday) by 6 final score: 32-26
8. Wilcox over Valley Christian at VC by 1 final score: 36-35

No doubt, but Serra still has some big kids. They seem to churn them out yearly. Just quick scan of HUDL
  • G - Sr. - 6'4" - 300lbs
  • C, DT • Sr. • 6' 7" • 320 lbs
  • C, G • So. • 6' 3" • 300 lbs
  • G - Jr. - 6'1" - 300lbs
  • T • Sr. • 6' 4" • 285 lbs
  • T - So. - 6'5" - 225lbs
  • OL - Sr. - 6'1" - 260lbs
This is not Correct.

2. Central Catholic @ St. Francis - CC
  3. Bellarmine @ M-A - MA
  4. Palo Alto @ St. Ignatius - SI, one of very few they may win.
  5. Palma @ Mitty - PALMA

I'd rather play it safe and have Serra lose a close one away from home, so they can recharge, have film to study, and then beat De La L.

The Serra Head Coach probably wishes the same so he never has to think about playing MD ever again.

Somewhere on this forum there was talk of teams setting themselves up to win at the lower levels. This may be the case with Serra after being dismantled by MD.

The Serra Head Coach probably wishes the same so he never has to think about playing MD ever again.

Somewhere on this forum there was talk of teams setting themselves up to win at the lower levels. This may be the case with Serra after being dismantled by MD.
I think just the opposite. I bet you Walsh would love to get the chance to play Mater Dei again. Serra has done everything in the last five years and a little longer to build a quality program, what coach wouldn’t want to make it to the big stage every year?

Reactions: concrete17
I think just the opposite. I bet you Walsh would love to get the chance to play Mater Dei again. Serra has done everything in the last five years and a little longer to build a quality program, what coach wouldn’t want to make it to the big stage every yea

The outlook for the WCAL has not changed since last spring ... though we'll know more after tonight.

Good showing for WCAL last night. Two young teams (st Francis and Serra) beating 2 of the best teams in Norcal & state.

Reactions: M.C. fan
Is this suppose to be NorCals version of the trinity league or something? Where are the West Oakland and lower income schools at? Whole lotta San Francisco and Silicon Valley area schools on this list. I wonder how many of the kids dads are working tech or VC.
That's what the WCAL consists of, Silicon Valley and SF Catholic schools. It's always been that way

Reactions: Scott2138
Granada @ Riordan Game Stats:
Riordan
  • Isiah Chala 3 TFL
  • Finbarr Harrington 4/4 PAT, 42-yd FG
  • Tyrone Jackson 3 catches-123 yds, TD
  • Zach Jones 5 catches-99 yds TD; 2 int
  • Mike Mitchell Jr. 15-21 passing, 340 yds, 3 TD; 3 carries-26 yds
  • Tobey Weydemeyer int
  • King-Jhsanni Wilhite 4 catches-82 yds, TD; 3 carries-12 yds
Meet Riordan Freshman QB - Michael Mitchell Jr.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT