ADVERTISEMENT

WCAL in Review - Looking Forward to 2019-20 Season

Prep beat writers Stephens and Kassel don’t believe SH is Open bound. Thinks 4 NCS and 4 SJS is the makeup.

I want to say this pretty much was unprecedented and historic. Don’t think a 3 win-2nd to last team in league or an 8 seed ever won the top division in their section.

It’s possible with this hot streak they may have even played into D1.

I think it is 4 NCS (DLS, Salesian, BOD assuming win, Branson), 3 SJS (Sheldon, MC, Weston Ranch) and 1 from Central Section (Clovis West is a possibility).

Of course, upsets can wreck havoc on Saturday

No one from the CCS.

Branson won their game tonight. They have a large win over SHC earlier this year. They will likely land the 8 seed and face Salesian in the first round now.

ayalar,
I would like to see Stuart Hall go Div-1 Why not? It would be a good test for them.

Just playing with you;)
Here's wishing you great hoops

Congratulations to the coach. I am sure that he has gone through a lot over the last few years.
Just watched the game. Team defense, good ball movement, sharing of the ball, and hustle. They battled for loose balls, and played for each other. What a pleasure to watch, comrades, the pure joy of the game. Way to overcome all of the adversity, and through in the end. Team win!

I think it is 4 NCS (DLS, Salesian, BOD assuming win, Branson), 3 SJS (Sheldon, MC, Weston Ranch) and 1 from Central Section (Clovis West is a possibility).

Of course, upsets can wreck havoc on Saturday

Streak One - one thing that will be interesting is Riordan has a win over Branson. Could they make the argument, better conference and head 2 head to maybe grab the last open spot over Branson? Just something to ponder, though I feel Branson is more deserving as of this moment.

Streak One - one thing that will be interesting is Riordan has a win over Branson. Could they make the argument, better conference and head 2 head to maybe grab the last open spot over Branson? Just something to ponder, though I feel Branson is more deserving as of this moment.
WCAL gauntlet took a toll on all the teams...If you look at all the WCAL matchups that were of consequence (I.e. CCS Open Championship, Riordan-Bells CCS Semis, Mitty-SHC CCS 1st rd, SI-Bells CCS 1st rd, Serra-Mitty WCAL; Bells-Mitty WCAL; Mitty-Riordan WCAL (2 games); - ALL those games were decided by 4 points or less and/or OT)!
Bellarmine's Patrick Schneider said it best in his team's loss to SHC - SHC was better coached, prepared and the better team last night.
Add in Mitty's Tim Kennedy in their loss to SHC - he admitted that even his Monarchs wins in league were all from remarkable comebacks and narrow margins of victory.
That's why I see it as extremely doubtful a WCAL team qualifies for the NorCal Open...Only way that possibly happens is the CCS Open Champ, record not withstanding, but solely on its play over the past week in knocking out teams with the better record.
It's another new season with NorCal up next. Records only matter for seeding/home court advantage. Will be interesting how Mitty, Riordan, Bellarmine and Serra re-group and perform. Taking a close look at the SHC Irish approach to the game these past few weeks serve as a great example on what it takes for a team to be successful - team defense, ball movement, rebounding, hustle, everyone knows their role and contributes and heart.

That’s a good point and part of the issue they have with SHC winning. Could make the case Logan could be moved up if Moreau beats O’Dowd too.

Tough choices on back end of bracket

Reactions: ayalar09
In fact, most of the predictions here were rather inaccurate. Bellarmine was not going Open under any circumstance. The only other WCAL school that was ever under consideration was Riordan.

It's clear the Committee looked at past seasons and the success schools have had. In some cases, like Weston Ranch, the outstanding record of the current season simply couldn't be ignored.

Exactly my point. I was fired up for SH, but I can admit when my opinion missed the mark, but most missed the mark on Open. I’m fine with how it shook out in the end.

Reactions: Scott2138
Mitty made it for body of work for entire league season. I think they got it right.

I think another factor of why Mitty was selected to represent the CCS in the Open was the fact that they've played in the Open as recently as 2017 and twice before then. If I was Mitty - I'd much rather be ranked #6 and play DLS in Concord than travel to Modesto Christian. I think the only reason they were ranked ahead of Weston Ranch is they beat them first game of the year which doesn't really mean a lot in late February and the CIF didn't do them any favors by giving them the #5 seed.

Is "passing the eye test" part of the criteria more so than body of work? Does your team have players that are D1 players? If the answer is yes, Open Division you go!

Norcal Round 1 Tuesday 2/26 - Who you got?!?
SHC's Cedric Reed said it best when interviewed by the SJ Mercury after its upset win against Mitty:
“It’s the playoffs,” “League is over. It’s a new season. We’re all hungry. We want to win.”

Good luck to all the teams!

2019 CIF NorCal Boys Brackets:
http://www.cifstate.org/sports/basketball/B_brkts_2019/index

Open
:

(5) Mitty (18-8) @ (4) Modesto Christian (25-7) - The WCAL Champion Monarchs make the 1.5hour+ trek down to Modesto to take on the tall and talented Crusaders. Modesto Christian is the D1 SJS Champ after beating Folsom this weekend. Both squads have played very tough schedules. What Mitty lacks in size, they present 7 guard/wing players avg 6-2 in height. All are athletic, fast, deadly shooters from the 3 and well-coached. Mitty's success has been narrow wins of which many were thrilling comebacks relying on their 3 point shooting. MC comes in with a very good balance of backcourt and frontcourt players. Their top players are a 6-7 SF and 6-8 jr. man-child at center. On paper, MC looks like the clear favorite, but having seen Mitty twice this season this game goes down to the wire. And if Mitty goes on one of its patented comebacks, wouldn't be surprised of a possible upset. Winner: Modesto Christian

D1:
1. (11) Bellarmine (20-7) @ (6) Moreau-Hayward (24-7) - Both teams have played SI with Moreau pulling out an OT home win back in December and the Bells sweeping the 'Cats in WCAL play. Both squads have good height and very good guard play. Bellarmine is the CCS Open runner-up and Moreau comes in as the NCS D2 Champion beating league rival Bishop O'Dowd. They come in hot. Does Moreau suffer flashbacks of Serra's upset wins from a few seasons ago? If Bellarmine dictates pace of play and keeps it close, look out! Winner: Bellarmine

2. (10) SHC (13-14) @ (7) Bullard-Fresno (26-5) The CCS Open Champion SHC Irish make the 2 hour drive to Fresno. Bullard is the D1 Central Section runner-up losing in 2OT to Clovis West. Both teams almost match up height for height and are athletic. Does the luck of the Irish continue? Does Bullard's homecourt prove the difference? Winner: Sacred Heart Cathedral

3. (9) Folsom (25-6) @ (8) Archbishop Riordan (18-8) Football powerhouse Folsom travels to the Crusader Forum to take on CCS Semi-finalist Riordan. Folsom is the SJS D1 runner up losing to Modesto Christian. The Bulldogs resemble a WCAL squad as they are well-drilled and coached and play a 4-guard offense with a 6-5 260lb athletic beast at the post. Crusaders play has been up and down throughout the season. The common denominator in their success has been been an uptempo attack with smothering D fueling their offense. The common denominator in their struggles have been their defensive lapses, stagnant offense/bad shot selection, losing 50-50 balls, unforced turnovers and a huge disparity in rebounding. Which team shows up? Interesting that the Crusaders are the only WCAL team to kick off NorCals at home. These teams are virtually deadlocked in rankings and points scored. Would not be surprised if this game goes to OT. Winner: Riordan

D2:
1. (14) St. Francis (13-13) @ (3) Grant-Sacramento (24-7)
The Lancers make the 3 hour+ drive up to Sacramento to take on the Pacers. SF has been hampered throughout the season with injuries. When fully healthy, they are a competitive team. Grant came in full of promise with virtually their entire team returning from a successful NorCal run last year that included defeating Riordan @ home. The Pacers are long, fast and athletic. The Lancers will need to slow down the pace and run their offense and most likely go to a zone defense to slow down Grant's high flying offense. Should be a loud and raucous crowd in Sacramento tonight. Winner: Grant

2. (11) St. Ignatius (13-13) @ (6) St. Joseph Notre Dame-Alameda (19-7) - SI was playing very well up to last week losing a close one to the Bells in the opening round of CCS. 'Cats big 2 scorers Robinson and Begovich will need to outscore the Pilots wing Vaughns and big Campos. Both teams played Riordan with the Pilots losing at the buzzer at the Gridley tournament and SI splitting with the Crusaders with a decisive loss and a decisive win. Great reunion of former SI Coach and legend Don Lippi leading the Pilots. Winner: St. Ignatius

3. (9) Serra (17-9) @ (8) St. Patricks St. Vincents-Vallejo (20-11)
The Padres come in with a very rare 4 game losing streak...SPSV lost in the NCS D3 semis losing a close game to Campo. It must be noted that the Bruins have apparently lost their jr D1 prospect 6-10 Dishon Jackson for the season but SPSV simply has gone to a 5 guard offense with the explosive and high scoring Akil Edwards leading the way. Padres typically play like Tarzan at the Jungle, but will be the visitor tonight and hope not to play like Jane. Coach Rapp will have the Padres ready. Winner: Serra

Reactions: SHgradSIdad
Folsom 68 Riordan 64 Final
In summary, Folsom showed up. Riordan did not. Crusaders played from behind the entire game and were very tentative and not in the flow of their game. Disappointing effort on the defensive end as Riordan must have given up at least half a dozen lone fast break layups.
Folsom played ran a nice offense moving the ball and making some nice drives to the hoop. The Bulldogs big man, Lynch, was a beast on the boards and displayed quickness and athleticism around the key.
A promising season for the Crusaders came up disappointingly short. Lots of good milestones achieved, though, as they competed for the title up to the final weekend of play and qualified for the CCS Open after a 3 year hiatus. Riordan coaches and team need to take a good look at the season at both the good and bad and learn from it and improve. Good Season, Riordan.

Reactions: Renard Monroe
Folsom 68 Riordan 64 Final
In summary, Folsom showed up. Riordan did not. Crusaders played from behind the entire game and were very tentative and not in the flow of their game. Disappointing effort on the defensive end as Riordan must have given up at least half a dozen lone fast break layups.
Folsom played ran a nice offense moving the ball and making some nice drives to the hoop. The Bulldogs big man, Lynch, was a beast on the boards and displayed quickness and athleticism around the key.
A promising season for the Crusaders came up disappointingly short. Lots of good milestones achieved, though, as they competed for the title up to the final weekend of play and qualified for the CCS Open after a 3 year hiatus. Riordan coaches and team need to take a good look at the season at both the good and bad and learn from it and improve. Good Season, Riordan.

I think the eye test throughout the season suggested they were going to make a deep run while collecting some hardware. I mean this team was deep. The ending for me I would agree with you is just disappointment. I think Bryce showed up. His numbers speak for themself. But this was exactly what Bryce went through last year. He stepped up but there just wasn’t consistent contribution from the rest of the team to close out regular season and into the playoffs. I think Jelani was playing hurt. That’s my guess. But what we saw of Jelani to finish this season was not the same player we saw to begin the year. He was putting up stupid numbers to start the year. That may be because Bryce had to sit out so Jelani was the driver and not riding shotgun. They are going to have to figure this out next year.

WCAL would be overjoyed to go 5-2 tonight! Personally I feel like 2-5 / 1-6 or lord forbid 0-7 is more likely. I hope to heck that I'm wrong / Jordan 24 is right.....

What was it, 1-5, with Mitty idle tonight? SH continues their incredible surge toward the improbable D1 state championship.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT