ADVERTISEMENT

WCAL in Review - Looking Forward to 2019-20 Season

Just asking the question........should RF take the reins?

If Schneider and Rapp still have the love for coaching and looks like they still do, then by all means keep coaching. They've been there even when I was in high school. Filios, Burke and Isola called it a day. Lippi still is going strong. Kennedy may be the next 30+ year guy.

Wrong. team was a year away #fact. And it should've been in Division 2 in norcals. Not in open or D1. They were seeded improperly.

And the team needed to press and run more. Team had athletes. At least 7 or 8 guys who will play college at some level. D1. D2. NAiA . JC You cannot out De la salle's. De la Salle. You cannot out Bellermine, Bellermine. Learning lessons.

Nothing wrong with those styles of basketball. But it wasn't that type of team. Anyway learning lessons for next year. And the school will bounce back. The one thing the coaching staff does do is put in the gym time. It's a program.

Reactions: jordan24
By reading this thread, it appears that the WCAL is a bear of a league to get through in hoop. I'm Excited as an SFL parent to see how the top two athletic leagues in NorCal match up tomorrow night when Rocklin visits Serra for DII semi's. I know the football match-ups have been awesome in the past, and can't wait to visit the Jungle!! Let's goooooooo!!!

Riiny and Chan plus they have another 6'8 kid coming next year should make that front court defensively formidable. For me Riiny does like being on the perimeter a bit too much. TBH Riordan can get outside shots from Clark and Monroe. They just need guys that can clean up the glass on both ends.

My way too early leaderboard next year has Mitty and Riordan as favorites. Returning Mitchell and POY Sapp is going to rival Monroe and Clark.

SH we'll see Jackson, McCoy, and Cheng. Will have replace two other key cogs in Flowers and McCormack. Lets see if MacKay can bring in some more beef from the East Bay.

I am pleasantly surprised that Jackson the freshman started coming into the his own during the late SHC run, he definitely is a good athlete and I hope he continues playing football.. I think SHC has a few guys on the JV team that will obviously contribute next year although how much is another question. I also wanted young Devin Mims to develop more but his sophomore year probably should have been on Jv's because he was not a factor much during the season. I hope junior year he will come out like Oscar Cheng who had a great year this year. Yes, two or three bigs in the 6'5 and over range in the next two years would really give this team some length and size to counter some of the other teams in the future. So far, on the JVs I am hoping Ivy, Branch-Hayes develops their skills for next year and the Frosh A have some nice players, although, not true BIGs as of now.

No I am not kiddn. They put together a nice team with early success. They were always going to be questionable in paint. The first league game v St. Francis was a misnomer. Their half-court pressure D looked great against a depleated SF guard base. Secondly, the question was always going to be how to incorporate all the talent (with a question mark with post). I said back in November this is a team built for school year 2019-2020. Question going forward all the back court talent they have (missing Udgay will hurt), how will they be able to have enough depth to play full-court pressure without tiring out their guards. They never were really successful with full-court pressure (just didnt have the depth) to cause chaos (ie Mission). Riordan scoring seemed to be a little more balanced at beginning of season. Simply going off box score, by end of year, they seemed to go to more individual ball (ie put pressure on guards to put em over top).

They finished just about where they should have. Not a bad season considering where program has been past 10 years.
Do you think they had enough guards to press a little more this past year?

Wrong. team was a year away #fact. And it should've been in Division 2 in norcals. Not in open or D1. They were seeded improperly.

And the team needed to press and run more. Team had athletes. At least 7 or 8 guys who will play college at some level. D1. D2. NAiA . JC You cannot out De la salle's. De la Salle. You cannot out Bellermine, Bellermine. Learning lessons.

Nothing wrong with those styles of basketball. But it wasn't that type of team. Anyway learning lessons for next year. And the school will bounce back. The one thing the coaching staff does do is put in the gym time. It's a program.
Supreme I agree! They should have pressed all year long. 32 minutes of hell. Way more depth and quickness, then any other team in the WCAL. They had a lot of guys that can turn the ball.

Reactions: superle
NorCal DII Semi Finals - 6pm
(#13 / 27-5) Rocklin @ (#9 / 18-9) Serra
Both teams made early exits in their respective Sectionals, but have stormed back after being placed in D2 NorCals. Both teams also come from arguably the most competitive leagues in NorCal. Based on current MaxPreps rankings, Rocklin is slightly higher than the Padres.
Only tie to these teams are Folsom (for Rocklin) and Riordan (for Serra). Rocklin was swept in their league series with the Bulldogs and Serra split with a home win and road loss against the Crusaders. Folsom beat host Riordan by 4 in the NorCal Opening round. Appears to be a very good game in the making. Both teams got here on impressive road victories. Should be a raucous HS hoops atmosphere at the Jungle tonight! Jump ball on my pick for this one - Serra.
CIF DII Bracket
http://www.cifstate.org/sports/basketball/B_brkts_2019/d2

Reactions: Renard Monroe
They were good in half court press. Full court press, they did not have the horses without jeopardizing the offensive fluency.
Totally disagree, they had 10 players that could contribute. Pick up the tempo, and get plenty of open court baskets. Trust me, there is no advantage playing in the half court with any of the teams in the Wcal. You do give up a little control, less sets etc. why play Mitty, Serra, st. Francis, valley, SI, SHC in the half court. Especially when you are quicker and more Athletic. JMO

Last edited:
One thing is clear. The best postseason coach in the area is Chuck Rapp. Doesn't matter what Serra has done in the regular season. Come postseason, they are VERY difficult to beat.

Reactions: Jaw Knee
Here's about as foolish a comment as I've read on this site. Referring to Coach Forslund, "He's had his time". Total garbage. I was talking with him a couple days ago. He's not a doddering fool. He isn't slobbering. He should be a head coach. Period.

Serra 70-46 over Rocklin and led start to finish. Padres pulled away in 1rst quarter by 18 by 22-4 & then maintained a strong lead throughout. Better ball handling & coaching by Serra along with more athletic talent throughout the line-up.
It didn;t hurt that Serra was hitting its 3's early on. Did anyone see Padres winning by 20+ over this 27-5 Rocklin squad?

They were NOT seeded improperly. The seeding system is completely changed. After placement of teams in Open, the system is simply plotting next 16 using MaxPreps rankings in D1, next 16 in D2. etc. No one is moved up or down. I think it sucks, too, but NO one is moved up or down.

Serra 70-46 over Rocklin and led start to finish. Padres pulled away in 1rst quarter by 18 by 22-4 & then maintained a strong lead throughout. Better ball handling & coaching by Serra along with more athletic talent throughout the line-up.
It didn;t hurt that Serra was hitting its 3's early on. Did anyone see Padres winning by 20+ over this 27-5 Rocklin squad?
Yes. Tuesday’s Final vs Campo will be a great game!

By reading this thread, it appears that the WCAL is a bear of a league to get through in hoop. I'm Excited as an SFL parent to see how the top two athletic leagues in NorCal match up tomorrow night when Rocklin visits Serra for DII semi's. I know the football match-ups have been awesome in the past, and can't wait to visit the Jungle!! Let's goooooooo!!!

Sarahmoose2, what is your take on playing a WCAL team at their home court? WCAL has a rep of being a very physical league with tough defenses. I know Rocklin is a good team so I’m surprised at the score.

Hey Keep32...they stuck it to us early...I loved the environment..I’d say we faced teams as physical but we haven’t seen the physicality plus the skill set that Serra demonstrated tonight...hard to see how they were only 9-5 in league...but I guess that’s a testament to the strength of the WCAL...congrats to Serra!!

Hey Keep32...they stuck it to us early...I loved the environment..I’d say we faced teams as physical but we haven’t seen the physicality plus the skill set that Serra demonstrated tonight...hard to see how they were only 9-5 in league...but I guess that’s a testament to the strength of the WCAL...congrats to Serra!!

Serra plays physical D. Over a course of a whole game, it'll wear you out. And on O, they execute and are patient until that one player makes a mistake. Very difficult for an opposing team to sustain the same intensity and execution for 32 minutes.

Thanks for the reply. It is tough to fall behind early in a game like this one.

Here's about as foolish a comment as I've read on this site. Referring to Coach Forslund, "He's had his time". Total garbage. I was talking with him a couple days ago. He's not a doddering fool. He isn't slobbering. He should be a head coach. Period.

They will only have this special group of kids for 1 more year. Two D1 guards and the cousins plus some nice returning players. Who can maximize their talents as many folks think this year they fell short of where they should have.

just asking the question....

Just want to say congrats to Serra for being the last WCAL team standing.

I think 2019-2020 in the WCAL is going to be a true gem of a season.

Riordan, Bellarmine and Serra....all with a chance at maybe snagging an Open bid next season.

And this is coming from a guy who is a "WCAL hater."

Just want to say congrats to Serra for being the last WCAL team standing.

I think 2019-2020 in the WCAL is going to be a true gem of a season.

Riordan, Bellarmine and Serra....all with a chance at maybe snagging an Open bid next season.

And this is coming from a guy who is a "WCAL hater."
Ayalar, Stuart Hall had a very good season and did not shy away from a tough non-league. The Hall should still contend as Burris and several starters return.
Next season, based on returning varsity players, the WCAL will have 3 solid contenders in Mitty, Riordan and Bellarmine. The remaining top spot is up for grabs with Serra, SI, SHC and SF. VC loses a lot with the departures of their longtime starters.

Who you got for Tuesday night?!? A bit more context from my post from the other thread...
D2: Serra @ Campolindo - I've seen both teams and 2 things stand out, Campo's win at Modesto Christian w/o Ahazie and Serra's double digit loss to Menlo-Atherton in the CCS Open on a neutral court. The Padres will literally be looking themselves in the mirror with kids that all can ball! The Cougars have 3 legit scorers that can take over - the Mahaney brothers - super frosh 6-2 sg Aidan and junior 6-2 pg Carter and senior 6-1 Ahazie. Serra only has 2 consistent scorers in seniors 6-7 Reese and 6-4 McDonald. If the game was at the Jungle - Serra gets the edge with their raucous crowd and defense on its small court! A little bit tougher on Campo's home court. Defense and execution will be the difference makers. This game could be won in OT. Winner: Campolindo

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT