ADVERTISEMENT

WCAL in Review - Looking Forward to 2019-20 Season

Norcal Round 1 Tuesday 2/26 - Who you got?!?
SHC's Cedric Reed said it best when interviewed by the SJ Mercury after its upset win against Mitty:
“It’s the playoffs,” “League is over. It’s a new season. We’re all hungry. We want to win.”

Good luck to all the teams!

2019 CIF NorCal Boys Brackets:
http://www.cifstate.org/sports/basketball/B_brkts_2019/index

Open
:

(5) Mitty (18-8) @ (4) Modesto Christian (25-7) - The WCAL Champion Monarchs make the 1.5hour+ trek down to Modesto to take on the tall and talented Crusaders. Modesto Christian is the D1 SJS Champ after beating Folsom this weekend. Both squads have played very tough schedules. What Mitty lacks in size, they present 7 guard/wing players avg 6-2 in height. All are athletic, fast, deadly shooters from the 3 and well-coached. Mitty's success has been narrow wins of which many were thrilling comebacks relying on their 3 point shooting. MC comes in with a very good balance of backcourt and frontcourt players. Their top players are a 6-7 SF and 6-8 jr. man-child at center. On paper, MC looks like the clear favorite, but having seen Mitty twice this season this game goes down to the wire. And if Mitty goes on one of its patented comebacks, wouldn't be surprised of a possible upset. Winner: Modesto Christian

D1:
1. (11) Bellarmine (20-7) @ (6) Moreau-Hayward (24-7) - Both teams have played SI with Moreau pulling out an OT home win back in December and the Bells sweeping the 'Cats in WCAL play. Both squads have good height and very good guard play. Bellarmine is the CCS Open runner-up and Moreau comes in as the NCS D2 Champion beating league rival Bishop O'Dowd. They come in hot. Does Moreau suffer flashbacks of Serra's upset wins from a few seasons ago? If Bellarmine dictates pace of play and keeps it close, look out! Winner: Bellarmine

2. (10) SHC (13-14) @ (7) Bullard-Fresno (26-5) The CCS Open Champion SHC Irish make the 2 hour drive to Fresno. Bullard is the D1 Central Section runner-up losing in 2OT to Clovis West. Both teams almost match up height for height and are athletic. Does the luck of the Irish continue? Does Bullard's homecourt prove the difference? Winner: Sacred Heart Cathedral

3. (9) Folsom (25-6) @ (8) Archbishop Riordan (18-8) Football powerhouse Folsom travels to the Crusader Forum to take on CCS Semi-finalist Riordan. Folsom is the SJS D1 runner up losing to Modesto Christian. The Bulldogs resemble a WCAL squad as they are well-drilled and coached and play a 4-guard offense with a 6-5 260lb athletic beast at the post. Crusaders play has been up and down throughout the season. The common denominator in their success has been been an uptempo attack with smothering D fueling their offense. The common denominator in their struggles have been their defensive lapses, stagnant offense/bad shot selection, losing 50-50 balls, unforced turnovers and a huge disparity in rebounding. Which team shows up? Interesting that the Crusaders are the only WCAL team to kick off NorCals at home. These teams are virtually deadlocked in rankings and points scored. Would not be surprised if this game goes to OT. Winner: Riordan

D2:
1. (14) St. Francis (13-13) @ (3) Grant-Sacramento (24-7)
The Lancers make the 3 hour+ drive up to Sacramento to take on the Pacers. SF has been hampered throughout the season with injuries. When fully healthy, they are a competitive team. Grant came in full of promise with virtually their entire team returning from a successful NorCal run last year that included defeating Riordan @ home. The Pacers are long, fast and athletic. The Lancers will need to slow down the pace and run their offense and most likely go to a zone defense to slow down Grant's high flying offense. Should be a loud and raucous crowd in Sacramento tonight. Winner: Grant

2. (11) St. Ignatius (13-13) @ (6) St. Joseph Notre Dame-Alameda (19-7) - SI was playing very well up to last week losing a close one to the Bells in the opening round of CCS. 'Cats big 2 scorers Robinson and Begovich will need to outscore the Pilots wing Vaughns and big Campos. Both teams played Riordan with the Pilots losing at the buzzer at the Gridley tournament and SI splitting with the Crusaders with a decisive loss and a decisive win. Great reunion of former SI Coach and legend Don Lippi leading the Pilots. Winner: St. Ignatius

3. (9) Serra (17-9) @ (8) St. Patricks St. Vincents-Vallejo (20-11)
The Padres come in with a very rare 4 game losing streak...SPSV lost in the NCS D3 semis losing a close game to Campo. It must be noted that the Bruins have apparently lost their jr D1 prospect 6-10 Dishon Jackson for the season but SPSV simply has gone to a 5 guard offense with the explosive and high scoring Akil Edwards leading the way. Padres typically play like Tarzan at the Jungle, but will be the visitor tonight and hope not to play like Jane. Coach Rapp will have the Padres ready. Winner: Serra
Modesto Christian didnt win SJS D1

I think the eye test throughout the season suggested they were going to make a deep run while collecting some hardware. I mean this team was deep. The ending for me I would agree with you is just disappointment. I think Bryce showed up. His numbers speak for themself. But this was exactly what Bryce went through last year. He stepped up but there just wasn’t consistent contribution from the rest of the team to close out regular season and into the playoffs. I think Jelani was playing hurt. That’s my guess. But what we saw of Jelani to finish this season was not the same player we saw to begin the year. He was putting up stupid numbers to start the year. That may be because Bryce had to sit out so Jelani was the driver and not riding shotgun. They are going to have to figure this out next
I just erased a long statement, really I did...lol
After having a moment of maturity, my opinion on the Riordan season as whole , is that it didn't end the way any Riordan supporter wanted it to end.
Failure should force you to get better . I believe this will help Riordan improve for next year, Hopefully. I know that the tears of frustration and hurt that I witnessed from my son will fuel him to be better, a better person, better team mate, better player. Good luck to all the teams still playing for the ultimate prize.

Reactions: jordan24
Players require plays that are designed to utilize their skills , include the entire Team and capitalize on the opponents weaknesses! This requires a thorough understanding of each of your players and how they receive the information you are providing.

Folsom 68 Riordan 64 Final
In summary, Folsom showed up. Riordan did not. Crusaders played from behind the entire game and were very tentative and not in the flow of their game. Disappointing effort on the defensive end as Riordan must have given up at least half a dozen lone fast break layups.
Folsom played ran a nice offense moving the ball and making some nice drives to the hoop. The Bulldogs big man, Lynch, was a beast on the boards and displayed quickness and athleticism around the key.
A promising season for the Crusaders came up disappointingly short. Lots of good milestones achieved, though, as they competed for the title up to the final weekend of play and qualified for the CCS Open after a 3 year hiatus. Riordan coaches and team need to take a good look at the season at both the good and bad and learn from it and improve. Good Season, Riordan.
Remember when you didn't even mention Folsom as a NorCal qualifier? Then proceeded to predict a Riordan victory?

Just thought I should raise the issue.

CCS teams played 4 of 21 games at home. That's ridiculous.

Are you proposing that weaker teams should get home games against higher seeds, or that all sections should be seeded equally across the board regardless of how they match up with other sections? Or that it’s ridiculous how bad the CCS teams have played this year?

This just hasn’t been a good year for the CCS teams, aside from SH’s improbable storybook run. Maybe SH, Serra, or one of the lower division CCS public school teams remaining can make a run to the finals to make the CCS proud, but I’m thinking it’s just a bad year and they’ll be more competitive next season as they normally are.

If you would have told me at the beginning of the season that Riordan would be at home right now and SHC still playing......I would have told you, you’re nuts.

Will be interesting to see if any WCAL teams remain after tonight, my guess is there will be zero.

If you would have told me at the beginning of the season that Riordan would be at home right now and SHC still playing......I would have told you, you’re nuts.

Will be interesting to see if any WCAL teams remain after tonight, my guess is there will be zero.

What’s your beef with WCAL and CCS? D3 Nor Cals weak AF! If you truly believe everything you’re saying than Stuart Hall is weak. Stuart Hall would finish in last place in WCAL. I’ll give you a split with Valley Christian.

Why would you think thats nuts? You cant conceive that its possible Riordan wouldve lost in the first round in Open or D1 and lets say SH wouldve been in D2 or D3 in NorCals and still playing? Reality is SH playing inspired team ball in a division they probably shouldnt be in.

Im glad schools like Branson and Stuart Hall are challenging themselves by playing schools not in their comfort zone.

With Riordan underachieving this season...it opens the door for all the opinions, negativity, etc...Sometimes in basketball it's about matchups. Matchups on the court, matchups off the court meaning the coaching . You take a coach like SHC , he has been though failure before and success. As he has been coaching varsity for a while. Our Riordan coach is a younger guy just coming into his own. BOD coach has been through the fire. If you notice the teams that are still around playing, its coaches who have been there and done that.
Please do not say CCS is weak though, no matter what you believe,that WCAl league is tough every night.
Riordan beat Branson who everyone loves! Riordan beat down Stuart Hall and University with out #1... Riordan didn't get it done in the post season. It happens. They went from a D3 team to a Division 1 team in one season. They will regroup next season as far as this season they didn't get it done, as a Riordan supporter, I hope they get it done next season. Good luck to all your teams...

Remember when you didn't even mention Folsom as a NorCal qualifier? Then proceeded to predict a Riordan victory?

Just thought I should raise the issue.
Huh? Where did I ever state that? My error was I thought Folsom lost in the SJS D1 title game, but it was the semi-final against Modesto Christian.
I picked the Crusaders because they were at home. Riordan played terrible against Folsom, but the Bulldogs had a lot to with it with their execution from beginning to end. I stated that based on records/rankings these teams were virtually even. The final score proves it. Hope you enjoyed your time at the Crusader Forum. Congratulations and good luck the rest of the way!

Branson 52 SHC 47 Final . The glass slipper falls off the Irish. Great run SHC!

Serra 52 St. Mary’s 47 Final
Congrats to the Padres in defeating the #1 seed. The Jungle will be site for the semi’s on Saturday! Last WCAL team standing!

Reactions: rabbit5
With Riordan underachieving this season...it opens the door for all the opinions, negativity, etc...Sometimes in basketball it's about matchups. Matchups on the court, matchups off the court meaning the coaching . You take a coach like SHC , he has been though failure before and success. As he has been coaching varsity for a while. Our Riordan coach is a younger guy just coming into his own. BOD coach has been through the fire. If you notice the teams that are still around playing, its coaches who have been there and done that.
Please do not say CCS is weak though, no matter what you believe,that WCAl league is tough every night.
Riordan beat Branson who everyone loves! Riordan beat down Stuart Hall and University with out #1... Riordan didn't get it done in the post season. It happens. They went from a D3 team to a Division 1 team in one season. They will regroup next season as far as this season they didn't get it done, as a Riordan supporter, I hope they get it done next season. Good luck to all your teams...
Riordan didnt underachieve. They will be on everybody's top tier next year. Most are coming back.

Riordan didnt underachieve. They will be on everybody's top tier next year. Most are coming back.

Your kidding right? Riordan extremely underachieved this year. I think part of the reason was Riny Riny not returning until halfway through league play, but still Riordan should have been an open team this year. They had arguably two of the best guards in the Bay Area on their team. They beat a ton of good teams before the regular season started, then something just went wrong.

I agree, Riordan will be top tier next year.......but that will be Clark and Monroe's senior years, so that is to be expected!

The cousins, not Bryce and Je’Lani, will need to really work on their game and eat a ton of burritos (lol!) over the spring/summer to capably fill the departure of JT and DJ next season. Soph guards ,Hubbard and McPherson, showed promise and will add depth behind the dynamic duo. Incoming soph Sean Quanico has a nice offensive game and can shoot the 3. Dom Wilson was similar to DJ his jr year and will need to work on his low post game and defense. Will be interesting to see the rotation. Lots of work for the coaches and players as they assess this past season and map a strategy for next year. Looking forward to it! Are there more promising kids on the horizon? We shall see.

Serra 52 St. Mary’s 47 Final
Congrats to the Padres in defeating the #1 seed. The Jungle will be site for the semi’s on Saturday! Last WCAL team standing!

The only WCAL that was playing in D2 as well. Maybe not a coincidence. Good win, but the top 20 NorCal teams were in D1 and the Open.

The only WCAL that was playing in D2 as well. Maybe not a coincidence. Good win, but the top 20 NorCal teams were in D1 and the Open.

WCAL maybe the best league in the Bay Area top to bottom.....It's the rest of the CCS I think is pretty much garbage.

The cousins, not Bryce and Je’Lani, will need to really work on their game and eat a ton of burritos (lol!) over the spring/summer to capably fill the departure of JT and DJ next season. Soph guards ,Hubbard and McPherson, showed promise and will add depth behind the dynamic duo. Incoming soph Sean Quanico has a nice offensive game and can shoot the 3. Dom Wilson was similar to DJ his jr year and will need to work on his low post game and defense. Will be interesting to see the rotation. Lots of work for the coaches and players as they assess this past season and map a strategy for next year. Looking forward to it! Are there more promising kids on the horizon? We shall see.

Riiny and Chan plus they have another 6'8 kid coming next year should make that front court defensively formidable. For me Riiny does like being on the perimeter a bit too much. TBH Riordan can get outside shots from Clark and Monroe. They just need guys that can clean up the glass on both ends.

My way too early leaderboard next year has Mitty and Riordan as favorites. Returning Mitchell and POY Sapp is going to rival Monroe and Clark.

SH we'll see Jackson, McCoy, and Cheng. Will have replace two other key cogs in Flowers and McCormack. Lets see if MacKay can bring in some more beef from the East Bay.

Riiny and Chan plus they have another 6'8 kid coming next year should make that front court defensively formidable. For me Riiny does like being on the perimeter a bit too much. TBH Riordan can get outside shots from Clark and Monroe. They just need guys that can clean up the glass on both ends.

My way too early leaderboard next year has Mitty and Riordan as favorites. Returning Mitchell and POY Sapp is going to rival Monroe and Clark.

SH we'll see Jackson, McCoy, and Cheng. Will have replace two other key cogs in Flowers and McCormack. Lets see if MacKay can bring in some more beef from the East Bay.
Bellarmine wiil also be in the mix next year as well. Their JV team steamrolled everyone going undefeated the entire season @ 21-0!

Reactions: lt1488
Bellarmine wiil also be in the mix next year as well. Their JV team steamrolled everyone going undefeated the entire season @ 21-0!
Its Salesian, De La, Sheldon, Bishop O Dowd,Modesto Christian, Branson , Logan and all the other teams that still alive right now, time to shine! May the best teams win...let's represent at State...tough teams from SoCal coming down!

Also factor in Schneider, the dean of coaches in the WCAL and Bells will be right there again.

Your kidding right? Riordan extremely underachieved this year. I think part of the reason was Riny Riny not returning until halfway through league play, but still Riordan should have been an open team this year. They had arguably two of the best guards in the Bay Area on their team. They beat a ton of good teams before the regular season started, then something just went wrong.

I agree, Riordan will be top tier next year.......but that will be Clark and Monroe's senior years, so that is to be expected!
No I am not kiddn. They put together a nice team with early success. They were always going to be questionable in paint. The first league game v St. Francis was a misnomer. Their half-court pressure D looked great against a depleated SF guard base. Secondly, the question was always going to be how to incorporate all the talent (with a question mark with post). I said back in November this is a team built for school year 2019-2020. Question going forward all the back court talent they have (missing Udgay will hurt), how will they be able to have enough depth to play full-court pressure without tiring out their guards. They never were really successful with full-court pressure (just didnt have the depth) to cause chaos (ie Mission). Riordan scoring seemed to be a little more balanced at beginning of season. Simply going off box score, by end of year, they seemed to go to more individual ball (ie put pressure on guards to put em over top).

They finished just about where they should have. Not a bad season considering where program has been past 10 years.

Last edited:
Just asking the question........should RF take the reins?
I think he should stay in his role and help mentor young coach. He has had his time. Not sure Riordan has formidable pipe-line to maintain after next year. Unless he works former magic and encourage some big men like Kately, Lowhorn and Tofi to enroll.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT