ADVERTISEMENT

Will there be High School FB this fall?

mrbig864

Hall of Famer
Oct 7, 2008
Things seem to be starting to look up, but considering some of the comments we’ve heard coming out of the Governors office the last week or two, it’s not a stretch to consider whether we’ll see high school FB this fall.

Depends on the amount of testing available. If there is enough testing for both active cases and people with antibodies, then the virus could be contained. If that happens, then they can move to identification, isolation, and contact tracking. Unfortunately, even with the best scenario in play, it's possible that any team in any sport could be shut down immediately if there is an active case. That could also force other teams that previously came into contact with them to be quarantined as well.

One possible scenario is shorten the seasons overall. Wait until mid-August or September to begin Fall sports, then do training-only through the first month. Play a league-only schedule in October and move into an abbreviated playoff schedule within sections. No one knows what will happen once cold and flu season hits again in the Winter.

I have no insight into this other than a guess. HOPEFULLY, we see a full season with section playoffs, regionals, and a state championship.

Yeah it’s tough to think about, but we may not see HS football this year. Even if things have improved, the virus is still out there. Contact sports like football, wrestling & basketball will be hard for the powers that be to allow. Much easier to see non contact sports like baseball, track and golf go forward, especially since they are later in the year. I’d love to be wrong, but in all reality, there may be no sports at all the rest of 2020.

I think it is too soon to call. California is doing a tremendous job with flattening the curve. I can't see Texas not playing football this year.

Reactions: aztecpadre
China ended lock-down (more severe than shelter in place) several weeks ago. Now reporting that the number of cases are rising. Until there is a vaccine (which is hopefully very effective) every time we try to allow things to get back to "normal" there will be an increase in COVID 19 cases...and we will go back to shelter in place. (Did you know that medical studies show that the basic flu shot only prevents the flu 50% to 60% of the time?) The number one focus for schools has to be on education so I am predicting that all after school activities will be canceled until medicines that can treat the disease or prevent the disease are being mass produced. Unfortunately.

Tough to say at this point, although I would say it’s not looking good. I think we would have to get to a point where we were seeing almost no new cases for schools to ok after school sports. Because testing every single athlete and coach prior to every game doesn’t even seem realistic for colleges, let alone high schools.

It was crazy to think state hoops would be called off. Then NCAA tourney.. Then nba.. MLB.. olympics... etc. high school football is in serious jeopardy. I said it on another forum 3 weeks ago.
Do I think it’s more fear and media hype than fact? Yes. Do I think the economic damage to our society will be far worse than the virus. Yes.

But hs sports are so down the list of critical things that I could see them getting pushed away or greatly shortened in near term. Who is going to huddle up on a Friday night next to 5000 people in the cold? Who is going to go to a packed gym.

good year to run cross country

Reactions: Kickingtee18
It was crazy to think state hoops would be called off. Then NCAA tourney.. Then nba.. MLB.. olympics... etc. high school football is in serious jeopardy. I said it on another forum 3 weeks ago.
Do I think it’s more fear and media hype than fact? Yes. Do I think the economic damage to our society will be far worse than the virus. Yes.

But hs sports are so down the list of critical things that I could see them getting pushed away or greatly shortened in near term. Who is going to huddle up on a Friday night next to 5000 people in the cold? Who is going to go to a packed gym.

larry... are you staying inside? are you wearing a mask and gloves when out in public?

Definitely agree with the second part of your post. On the list of things governments need to be worrying about, after school programs that just happen to involve athletic competition are, and SHOULD be, far down on the list.

Also probably good to keep this discussion from spiraling in to political debate. I post on a few board, like I’m sure most here do, and comments exactly like the one NorCalPerpsFan made can quickly cause this to devolve in to an ugly political argument.

As it has been stated, it is too early to tell if and how the football season will be impacted. However, the fact that this is a discussion shows how this has developed.

Going to be a lot more hurry up and wait

I hear, especially at the University level, Football is the sport that basically funds all the other sports in that University. Not sure how true that statement is, however, that being said, if College Football is canceled for the 2020 Season, expect for virtually all 2020-21 sport seasons to be canceled as well. College Football will be the measuring rod in the United States for all College Sports for the upcoming season(s). It’s definitely 50/50. Tooooo close for comfort BUT Health over Wealth any day.

CIF executive director Ron Nocetti said the top priority is for the 10 sections to be able to hold their fall championships and if that means postponing or canceling state championships to get in section finals, that would be considered.

the season will probably get pushed back to October maybe even November

Definitely agree with the second part of your post. On the list of things governments need to be worrying about, after school programs that just happen to involve athletic competition are, and SHOULD be, far down on the list.

Also probably good to keep this discussion from spiraling in to political debate. I post on a few board, like I’m sure most here do, and comments exactly like the one NorCalPerpsFan made can quickly cause this to devolve in to an ugly political argument.
Not making a political statement. The Governor stated that NFL may not be allowed to open in CA when the season is suppose to start in the fall. Just a fact.

Yeah I don’t think anybody is talking politics. Reality is starting to settle in. And what is really not fun is talking about old content or re-watching games. This stinks.

Here you go...one of the Governor's criteria before things are lifted... "5) Ability for businesses, schools, and child care facilities to support physical distancing". There is also point on available therapeutics ...

I now give it 20/50. Until there is a vaccine, social distance will be a requirement and that doesn't bode well for fans attending games. Maybe if the allow 1/4 the fans and have major legal disclaimers signed, but some lawsuit friendly idiot might contract it at a game and the suits start. I hope not, but this isn't looking good for sports unless some novel drug used for other indications is found to destroy the virus and can act as a therapeutic (which wouldn't receive FDA approval in time). I feel bad for the high schoolers, but I guess this creates character and is a great learning example of not to take anything for granted.

If California isn’t going to have high school football this season, and it certainly doesn’t look promising, I could see a lot of those SoCal mercenaries transferring to schools in Texas, Georgia or some other states that might still try to make a go of it.

If California isn’t going to have high school football this season, and it certainly doesn’t look promising, I could see a lot of those SoCal mercenaries transferring to schools in Texas, Georgia or some other states that might still try to make a go of it.
Why would it make you a mercenary if the sport you love, tackle football, one of the few that can't be played through travel/club ball is being played in other states and you had the ability to play it elsewhere? You should stay in California and end your career?

Why would it make you a mercenary if the sport you love, tackle football, one of the few that can't be played through travel/club ball is being played in other states and you had the ability to play it elsewhere? You should stay in California and end your career?

I was thinking of the SoCal mercenaries who have already transferred schools to be on an MD or Bosco. They’d be much more likely to move again. And no, if a talented senior from NorCal wanted to have a senior season, I wouldn’t characterize them as a mercenary.

Reactions: northbayfb
I’m thinking about the growing number of schools who have been unable to field frosh teams in recent years. Those few frosh had to fight for playing time on JV with older more experienced sophomores.

Now, when they get the chance to get some playing time this year, the entire football season is cancelled. So next season, they’re again fighting for playing time with older kids, never even having had much of a chance yet in their HS careers.

So that entire group of seniors then go into their final year completely behind the 8 ball. Sure, the top level kids will be able to earn playing time against the older kids, but the majority of those kids will have had miserable high school careers.

HS Football has already had a bullseye in its back with CTE concerns and dwindling numbers. If this entire season is cancelled, it will only accelerate that decline.

I’m thinking about the growing number of schools who have been unable to field frosh teams in recent years. Those few frosh had to fight for playing time on JV with older more experienced sophomores.

Now, when they get the chance to get some playing time this year, the entire football season is cancelled. So next season, they’re again fighting for playing time with older kids, never even having had much of a chance yet in their HS careers.

So that entire group of seniors then go into their final year completely behind the 8 ball. Sure, the top level kids will be able to earn playing time against the older kids, but the majority of those kids will have had miserable high school careers.

HS Football has already had a bullseye in its back with CTE concerns and dwindling numbers. If this entire season is cancelled, it will only accelerate that decline.

This couldn’t have come at a worse time. I thought we were gaining ground with CTE. Kids seemed to be developing and learning new techniques. The fall out was slowing.. This happens and football as we know it will be in big trouble. Think about this... if you are a kid who wants to workout, train, and committ 90% of your life to when there may not be a season? Your going to keep on loosing kids.

If social distancing is in place we will not have to worry about fans being 6ft apart. We will not have football. You can't social distance in the weightroom when you need a spotter. You cannot tackle and social distance. It will be hard to social distance in school. You can't in a PE locker room with the size of classes. In an academic class you would only be able to have about 14-15 students in a room at 6 ft apart. We are going to face many challenges in education until there is a vaccine. It is extremely sad for the current Seniors. We have lost two to suicide in our district this past month. I saw on news 3 others were lost in surrounding areas. Tough Tough times.

If social distancing is in place we will not have to worry about fans being 6ft apart. We will not have football. You can't social distance in the weightroom when you need a spotter. You cannot tackle and social distance. It will be hard to social distance in school. You can't in a PE locker room with the size of classes. In an academic class you would only be able to have about 14-15 students in a room at 6 ft apart. We are going to face many challenges in education until there is a vaccine. It is extremely sad for the current Seniors. We have lost two to suicide in our district this past month. I saw on news 3 others were lost in surrounding areas. Tough Tough times.

Couldn’t agree more. The social impact is going to be much worse than the virus. Suicides, alcoholism, family breakdowns, lost jobs, homes....
very tough times for kids because they haven’t faced any real obstacle like this. Heck we haven’t either.

According to the L.A. Times website, the mayor of L.A. has informed his staff that there may be no concerts, sporting events, etc. through the rest of 2020. Ouch.

Nope.. I’m out and about. Working... walking.. running. Doing my thing. Gotta keep economy moving.
i mean i am too. I probably already had it anyway. However I dont the seriousness of it. That is why I asked because you said it was a scare tactic and media hype. It really isnt and i am last to believe anything usually.

Reactions: colhenrylives
even if we do come back in the fall, on time or delayed, participation rates will drop yet again! CTE and now covid-19 concerns.

In CCS, there is a priority to preserve league schedules above all else including section playoffs and state. Playoffs, and non league games would get canceled if the season has to start too late.

i mean i am too. I probably already had it anyway. However I dont the seriousness of it. That is why I asked because you said it was a scare tactic and media hype. It really isnt and i am last to believe anything usually.

Probably in the minority but I think our reaction is way overblown. I really think crippling our country will far outweigh the virus impact. My opinion from when this started.

Not making a political statement. The Governor stated that NFL may not be allowed to open in CA when the season is suppose to start in the fall. Just a fact.

Your statement conveyed in a very succinct way that you disagree with the governor. Stating that you disagree with a politician is by its definition a political statement.

People really on this high school football message board acting like they don’t have a million other avenues online to complain about people on the other side of the political aisle.

Reactions: MTsince2004
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT