ADVERTISEMENT

Will there be High School FB this fall?

This is a mute subject if our kids cannot return to the High School Campus. There will be no sports at all. Schools open back up, sports will follow. And how will Social Distancing take place in a populated SCHOOL?? SMH ‍♂️

It costs a lot of money to defend lawsuits, even if they are baseless. The state we live in is very litigious to say the least.
And let’s face it, there are probably a lot of school board members who don’t like football, and would be happy to have a reason to shut it down in the name of protecting the kids.
Agreed

Actually it’s very true. A medical risk is a medical risk.
Also simply not true. That's why kids get physicals. Not all medical risks are the same, nor are some acceptable for competition with a waiver, depending upon the sport. No waiver is going to convince a coach or administrator to let a kid with type 2 Osteogenesis Imperfecta play full contact football. This is so obvious at face value, I won't bother with more examples. I can think of dozens, but there's no need to type so much.

Reactions: larry legend33
Also simply not true. That's why kids get physicals. Not all medical risks are the same, nor are some acceptable for competition with a waiver, depending upon the sport. No waiver is going to convince a coach or administrator to let a kid with type 2 Osteogenesis Imperfecta play full contact football. This is so obvious at face value, I won't bother with more examples. I can think of dozens, but there's no need to type so much.
Talk about apples and antelopes. That doesn’t happen on the field of play. Nor is a coach or administrator going to diagnose that.

Talk about apples and antelopes. That doesn’t happen on the field of play. Nor is a coach or administrator going to diagnose that.

Wait, now I'm confused. First, YOU said all medical risks are equal ("A medical is risk is a medical risk"). I say that's not true and give you an example. THEN you question my example because it clearly demonstrates that not all medical risks are the same.

So you agree then that "A medical risk is a medical risk" is NOT an accurate statement? That "a medical risk" (contagious virus) is NOT the same as "a medical risk" (O.P. Type 2). Thanks for the acknowledgement. It was my point the whole time.

In either case, a waiver is not going to cut it if the risk is deemed too great BECAUSE not all medical risks are equal.

Reactions: aztecpadre
Wait, now I'm confused. First, YOU said all medical risks are equal ("A medical is risk is a medical risk"). I say that's not true and give you an example. THEN you question my example because it clearly demonstrates that not all medical risks are the same.

So you agree then that "A medical risk is a medical risk" is NOT an accurate statement? That "a medical risk" (contagious virus) is NOT the same as "a medical risk" (O.P. Type 2). Thanks for the acknowledgement. It was my point the whole time.

In either case, a waiver is not going to cut it if the risk is deemed too great BECAUSE not all medical risks are equal.
If you want to take it out of context to playing the game of football and the coach/administrator liability which was the conversation and your actual point . Your revisionist point that somebody who wouldn’t get clearance by a doctor to ever get on the field doesn’t apply.

If you want to take it out of context to playing the game of football and the coach/administrator liability which was the conversation and your actual point . Your revisionist point that somebody who wouldn’t get clearance by a doctor to ever get on the field doesn’t apply.

"A medical risk is a medical risk." True or false?

There are some medical risks that cannot be dismissed with a waiver. True or false?

What other context is there?

This is a mute subject if our kids cannot return to the High School Campus. There will be no sports at all. Schools open back up, sports will follow. And how will Social Distancing take place in a populated SCHOOL?? SMH ‍♂️

I believe this will be the same for college football and other NCAA sports programs. I think this will also affect youth sports leagues that use high school facilities and fields. Without youth sports, in particularly youth football, we will probably see another decline in football participation as well as other sports which effect all high school sport programs.

The latest rules for re-opening California counties in any significant ways are so draconian that it is doubtful all six Bay Area counties (Contra Costa, Alameda, San Francisco, Santa Clara, San Mateo and Marin) will be able to comply before Labor Day. Some might. But the governor seems bound and determined to keep things shut down for as long as he can. We may be imprisoned in a grim state of suspended animation until a reliable vaccine is found. The outlook is not pretty.

...and it isn't just high schools sports at issue...all extra-curricular activities are now at risk...

The latest rules for re-opening California counties in any significant ways are so draconian that it is doubtful all six Bay Area counties (Contra Costa, Alameda, San Francisco, Santa Clara, San Mateo and Marin) will be able to comply before Labor Day. Some might. But the governor seems bound and determined to keep things shut down for as long as he can. We may be imprisoned in a grim state of suspended animation until a reliable vaccine is found. The outlook is not pretty.
solano?

SARS-Cov-2 is not a medical “issue.” Anyone trying to equate a pandemic to a mental/physical predisposition is simply wrong. And if you don’t know the R level of contagions, I’m sorry. By now, everyone should know at the MINIMUM, 25% of SARS- Cov-2 carriers are asymptomatic, and never will be. Yet, they can spread it to you, me and your teenager, unknowingly and unwittingly. This week you tested “negative.” But what about next week?

The reason for “shutdowns” is something being missed here. It was specific to stop the overwhelming of hospitals and ICUs, early on. NY was a prime example. Infections will continue for many months. The “flattening of the curve” was NOT to get rid of this virus. That would be too simple, and simply unrealistic. It will lurk in society’s shadows ready to jump you for many more months. But at least the medical community will be ready to save your (right to freedom) life.

This is why contact tracing is needed if one really wants your county/state/nation? to “open for business.” This coronavirus has no empathy, nor selectivity for __________.

SARS-Cov-2 is not a medical “issue.” Anyone trying to equate a pandemic to a mental/physical predisposition is simply wrong. And if you don’t know the R level of contagions, I’m sorry. By now, everyone should know at the MINIMUM, 25% of SARS- Cov-2 carriers are asymptomatic, and never will be. Yet, they can spread it to you, me and your teenager, unknowingly and unwittingly. This week you tested “negative.” But what about next week?

The reason for “shutdowns” is something being missed here. It was specific to stop the overwhelming of hospitals and ICUs, early on. NY was a prime example. Infections will continue for many months. The “flattening of the curve” was NOT to get rid of this virus. That would be too simple, and simply unrealistic. It will lurk in society’s shadows ready to jump you for many more months. But at least the medical community will be ready to save your (right to freedom) life.

This is why contact tracing is needed if one really wants your county/state/nation? to “open for business.” This coronavirus has no empathy, nor selectivity for __________.
Spoke to a couple doctors this week and it has been here longer than thought and more prevalent. We have passed the point where it will be contained. They said strategy should be protect the at risk and take precautions like masks , but things should open. Herd immunity will come and at least the economy won't be completely destroyed. Heard 3000 churches are opening in the state against the Governors law and will be tough to enforce like the beaches. At some point people will just not follow the law and not much the government can do. Waiting for a vaccine is not an option because not enough money the govrnment has to bail out without destroying the country. At some point people will need to suck it up and get out there.

And there's more. It's clear that the health authorities in the six coordinated Bay Area counties noted earlier in this discussion are very strict and unbending. It would not be a surprise if most, if not all, of those counties remained shut down (in terms of education, entertainment, sports, etc.) while others in NorCal were much more aggressive in their approach. Look at what's happening in the NBA. Some franchises are opening their facilities for their players while others are not. That's a problem. The "outsiders" are not happy. Stay tuned.

I agree with everything you just said. Right now my worry is how many businesses will be affected, I know of three businesses that will never reopen again in Contra Costa county and these businesses were rocking and rolling before the lockdown.
I would like to know how this lockdown is affecting people on this board. Most people live pay check to pay check.

I’m fortunate that I can work from home during Covid 19 and don’t have to deplete my savings and investments.

our economy will be gutted if we don’t get everyone back to work again. Forget about football. If it will come back at all it will be in the winter. I’m probably in the minority here but I think we should Protect the vulnerable seniors and reopen the economy. If we don’t do that then there will be nothing to comeback to. Opening states at a snails pace will not cut it.

I hope everyone and their families are doing well.

I agree with everything you just said. Right now my worry is how many businesses will be affected, I know of three businesses that will never reopen again in Contra Costa county and these businesses were rocking and rolling before the lockdown.
I would like to know how this lockdown is affecting people on this board. Most people live pay check to pay check.

I’m fortunate that I can work from home during Covid 19 and don’t have to deplete my savings and investments.

our economy will be gutted if we don’t get everyone back to work again. Forget about football. If it will come back at all it will be in the winter. I’m probably in the minority here but I think we should Protect the vulnerable seniors and reopen the economy. If we don’t do that then there will be nothing to comeback to. Opening states at a snails pace will not cut it.

I hope everyone and their families are doing well.

If you are "in the minority" you are now minority +1. A little mental fortitude and creativity from the top down could facilitate the economic reopening.
I am well aware that vaccinations and any CREDIBLE, working cure is a year(s) away so let's see more testing and contact tracing to see where this fire is showing up and going so that it can be managed.
I was tested when I was paroled from my hospital recovery and I can tell you having an 8" swab rolled up my nostril til it touches the back of my eyeball was no picnic but glad I had it done and will willingly do it as many times as necessary to guarantee the safety of those around me.
Surviving financially has been a struggle tied to a wheelchair. I have been overseeing construction projects by my crew, making East Bay city sidewalks safer one square foot at a time.
Mrs Crete teaches/tutors language K-8 online, parent conferences and has administrative meetings all online, easily + 40 hr/week. And finally Crete 2.0 as an engineer is developing projects in Hawaii & Maryland on line & teleconferencing from our living room.
We still stress house payments and unforeseen medical expenses (insurance and Medicare are mental
cluster flucks ) often hours spent navigating the asinine requirements
(DON''T get old or ill. !)
But I am optimistic about the future and the recovery. Just show a little creativity and tweak the rules to your advantage.
2 biz friends (lumber and a burger joint ) have added work hour deliveries to their services to construction jobsites and both have managed to keep their businesses floating and more employees on staff. No sitting on their hands waiting for direction from on high.
When you hear 'impossible' turn it into 'I am possible ' and go do it, stop waiting

Sorry for the length, I used up 6 months of allocated posting time..

Stay smart, stay healthy and get busy doing.
WindbagCrete17

It’s not high school, but still a rather large announcement. CSU Chancellor just announced the entire CSU system will stay with ONLINE learning through the fall semester.

I have a hard time thinking any NCAA athletic teams tied to these universities would be allowed to compete if they aren’t allowed to attend classes in person.

Last edited:
It’s not high school, but still a rather large announcement? CSU Chancellor just announced the entire CSU system will stay with ONLINE learning through the fall semester.

I have a hard time thinking any NCAA athletic teams tied to these universities would be allowed to compete if they aren’t allowed to attend classes in person.

Your logic is very tough to dispute. Most unfortunate.

Unless we are mis-reading this news, Division I CSU football programs at San Diego, Sacramento, Fresno and San Jose would be in apparent shutdown mode too. It's only logical.

What's also worrisome is that the 2021 spring semester might not be a whole lot better in terms of athletics. After all, the traditional flu season is in full cry January through May.

Then the next question becomes: If the CSU system is taking this stance, what about the UC system? Why would the latter be any different from the former when it comes to protecting students, teacher, coaches, staff and all the rest? Good heavens. We are in strange territory for sure.

...oh, and how about the third leg of the state's higher education trinity, the JC's?...are they next as well?

Unless we are mis-reading this news, Division I CSU football programs at San Diego, Sacramento, Fresno and San Jose would be in apparent shutdown mode too. It's only logical.

No way in hell will HS be playing football in the fall.
You can put a fork in it. What a bummer this has become. I said it a ways back.. nobody in right mind thought they would ever cancel NCAA or Olympics. Uggh

No way in hell will HS be playing football in the fall.
You can put a fork in it. What a bummer this has become. I said it a ways back.. nobody in right mind thought they would ever cancel NCAA or Olympics. Uggh
still think its just a flu and everyone is overreacting or nah?

still think its just a flu and everyone is overreacting or nah?

didn’t say I agree with it. Said it’s not happening in this state. Absolutely overreacting. Kids aren’t dying. Look at who is dying. If you are over 80 I would move with caution. But if you are over 80 and get the flu it’s not good. Bigger risk of getting hurt playing football than the virus. Sad times.

Fallacy. The reason CA death rate is lower is mitigation. That’s REACTING.

“If you are over 80...move with caution.”
How so? Live in a bubble? Have anybody you come in contact with get tested daily?

Like the lucky folks at the White House right now...oh snap, Pence’s Press Secretary tested positive May 8th, and Trump’s valet the day before.

Fallacy. The reason CA death rate is lower is mitigation. That’s REACTING.

“If you are over 80...move with caution.”
How so? Live in a bubble? Have anybody you come in contact with get tested daily?

Like the lucky folks at the White House right now...oh snap, Pence’s Press Secretary tested positive May 8th, and Trump’s valet the day before.

problem is we are living in a bubble and tanking the livelihood of millions not only today but for generations to come. I’m not going to win an argument on NorCalPreps nor do I care to get into a pissing match with random people.

problem is we are living in a bubble and tanking the livelihood of millions not only today but for generations to come. I’m not going to win an argument on NorCalPreps nor do I care to get into a pissing match with random people.
this too shall pass. i mean the country has been through worse.

Reactions: Three Bears
A recent analysis by the L.A. Times states that very few California counties can achieve the hyper-strict virus-control rules in order to re-open the economy. So, it will not be a major shock if we don't see a welcome return of competitive athletics, preps or otherwise, until some point in 2021. At least that's the hope, faint though it may be.

A recent analysis by the L.A. Times states that very few California counties can achieve the hyper-strict virus-control rules in order to re-open the economy. So, it will not be a major shock if we don't see a welcome return of competitive athletics, preps or otherwise, until some point in 2021. At least that's the hope, faint though it may be.
Unfortunately I think that is the way it’s going to go. We began discussing out of state options for our class of ‘21 son.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT