ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Predictions and Storylines

EastBayFan

Superstar
Jun 5, 2017
Almost a month to the day that the HS football season starts. Let get the discussions going. What are some of the predictions and storylines of the upcoming season. Here are a few of mine...

De la Salle has been very quiet this offseason, and an angry Sparty is a dangerous Sparty. I expect a very good team from the start this season. No doubt Folsom will battle them to the very end, but I expect a De La win 35-21.

Open Division Predictions: #1 De La Salle
#2 Pitt
#3 LIberty
#4 CV

New Coaches- Freedom- How will Cotter do in the BVAL. They have lots of talent returning, but the BVAL has established itself as the top league in the NCS

Piedmont- Trotman returns to the head of a program. Didn't have much success at SLZ, will he keep the highlanders relevant.

Logan- Can Rodriguez bring the Colts back from the dead. The McNally Veer experiment did not work at Logan. Rodriguez won 20 games the last two years at Encinal, can he replicate that success in Union City.

Foothill- You never want to be the guy, replacing THE guy. Well Haubner has his hands full. Was never really impressed with his teams at Livermore, as Partridge did more in one season at Livermore than Haubner did in 5. Hopefully he can keep the Foothill name relevant.

Moreau- Don't see much drop off from them. as they filled internally.

Encinal- Keith Minor is a great coach. What he did at St. Marys, can be done at Encinal. They always seem to have some athletes, numbers will be an issue, and I think it wont be immediate, but he will have success on the Island.

Transfers all over the place- What kids are where, and who will have the biggest impact. Adi Anderson moving to Mack, was huge. How do these kids who end up transferring to Mack always seem to get eligible? Hey whatever they are doing its working. Pitt, CV, Moreau, lots of movement at these schools. How will it change the program dynamics, and will it help or hinder.

Anybody else have anything... Cheers 31 days out!

Almost a month to the day that the HS football season starts. Let get the discussions going. What are some of the predictions and storylines of the upcoming season. Here are a few of mine...

De la Salle has been very quiet this offseason, and an angry Sparty is a dangerous Sparty. I expect a very good team from the start this season. No doubt Folsom will battle them to the very end, but I expect a De La win 35-21.

#2 Pitt
#3 LIberty
#4 CV

New Coaches- Freedom- How will Cotter do in the BVAL. They have lots of talent returning, but the BVAL has established itself as the top league in the NCS

Piedmont- Trotman returns to the head of a program. Didn't have much success at SLZ, will he keep the highlanders relevant.

Logan- Can Rodriguez bring the Colts back from the dead. The McNally Veer experiment did not work at Logan. Rodriguez won 20 games the last two years at Encinal, can he replicate that success in Union City.

Foothill- You never want to be the guy, replacing THE guy. Well Haubner has his hands full. Was never really impressed with his teams at Livermore, as Partridge did more in one season at Livermore than Haubner did in 5. Hopefully he can keep the Foothill name relevant.

Encinal- Keith Minor is a great coach. What he did at St. Marys, can be done at Encinal. They always seem to have some athletes, numbers will be an issue, and I think it wont be immediate, but he will have success on the Island.

Transfers all over the place- What kids are where, and who will have the biggest impact. Adi Anderson moving to Mack, was huge. How do these kids who end up transferring to Mack always seem to get eligible? Hey whatever they are doing its working. Pitt, CV, Moreau, lots of movement at these schools. How will it change the program dynamics, and will it help or hinder.

How would you rank returning QBs. - I know Liberty has a stud in Butterfield and Pitt has Turner returning. So I'm guessing they are 1 and 2. Encinal last year had a fairly underrated QB in Theori Oliver that led them to an 11-0 start until faltering against Cardinal Newman in the playoffs but I believe he was a senior.

How would you rank returning QBs. - I know Liberty has a stud in Butterfield and Pitt has Turner returning. So I'm guessing they are 1 and 2. Encinal last year had a fairly underrated QB in Theori Oliver that led them to an 11-0 start until faltering against Cardinal Newman in the playoffs but I believe he was a senior.

My list would probably look like this
Liberty- Butterfield
Pitt- Turner
Amador Valley- Dom Mozzotti
Antioch- Name escapes me
Freedom- Aguilar
CV- Monte Vista Transfer
Newman- JV Guy was a stud

I’m sure Marin Catholic, SRV and Monte Vista will all have really good replacement QB play. Probably missing some guys, but off the top of my head, that’s who I think returns good QB play.

Oliver was a Senior. He had a hell of a year. Think he’s at CSM playing DB.

I’m feeling a little crazy right know. My thought is that DLS is due for an upset this year. Most would think Folsom has the best chance. I think Folsom is a great team but way to finesse for DLS. 35-21 is a real good prediction. But there let down will come in the open against Pittsburgh. 27 years almost to the day since they lost to them in 91’. I hope and pray that I’m wrong. But Pitt looks really good this year and DLS will be coming off there second bye in three weeks. I think the stars are aligning.

The BVAL is the best league in the NCS right now with Pitt being at the top. The fight for second will be interesting. Liberty looks to be the next best team, but with the parity in the league you might have Antioch or Freedom knock them off.

Best QB’s returning NCS
Liberty
Antioch
Monte Vista
Marin always seems to have one

Not sure there is a more talented team in norcal than Pitt in terms of individual players. DLS is going to have hands full with Folsom and Pitt this year. Definitely will be toss up games if you ask me. Folsom is certainly capable of beating DLS in week 0. They will not be intimidated and I wouldn't be surprised if the streak ends.

Newman QB is Jackson Pavitt. Absolute stud. 6"2 185. Will be another D1 prospect for Cronin.
Liberty vs Newman is going to be a battle.

Folsom is a great team with the ability to score quick. But they have about as much chance as the Cavs did against Warriors. There offense is way to finesse and they have an average defense. I’ve watched a lot of film on this team and I’m impressed with them in a lot of ways. But they don’t beat teams up. Pitt as what it takes to beat teams up. DLS will wake up August 18 ready to play again, Folsom should schedule a bye the next week. They just are not built to beat DLS. I will be the first to come on this board and say Larry you were right and you are the true legend. It should be fun.

14u2- I get what you are saying about Folsom and they obviously haven't had much (if any) success against DLS in the past. But I'm a believer the gap has narrowed this year and the pieces are there to win this game especially early in the season. It would be a huge achievement given the "Streak" but from a football fan perspective I wouldn't call it an upset if it happens either. I wouldn't be shocked if Folsom comes into 2018 ahead of DLS in both state and national polls. Doesn't mean anything I know on paper but the expectations are very high up the 50 corridor. You need talent, size, coaching, line play, and a little luck to beat DLS. Folsom comes into this year with arguably there most deep and talented team.
Pitt is unreal. Like I said the gap between all 3 of these teams will come down to turnovers, execution and a little luck.

14u2- I get what you are saying about Folsom and they obviously haven't had much (if any) success against DLS in the past. But I'm a believer the gap has narrowed this year and the pieces are there to win this game especially early in the season. It would be a huge achievement given the "Streak" but from a football fan perspective I wouldn't call it an upset if it happens either. I wouldn't be shocked if Folsom comes into 2018 ahead of DLS in both state and national polls. Doesn't mean anything I know on paper but the expectations are very high up the 50 corridor. You need talent, size, coaching, line play, and a little luck to beat DLS. Folsom comes into this year with arguably there most deep and talented team.
Pitt is unreal. Like I said the gap between all 3 of these teams will come down to turnovers, execution and a little luck.
I agree they have a lot of talent. And I’ll admit that yes believe it or not I have been wrong before. The way they do the polls, I would be shocked if Folsom wasn’t ahead of DLS to start the year. The best part about it is we will know in 30 days. Can’t wait.

Yeah for sure. I really want to go to this game but if I'm parking in Walnut Creek to make the trip via uber I might have to rethink. Then again history could be happening. I also think psychologically these Folsom kids believe they can win this game. A lot of these teams come into a DLS game already defeated. Can't wait.

I have always said in order to beat DLS you have to get over the fact that you are playing DLS. If there not afraid then they have won half the battle. I think the Uber idea is the way to go.

Reactions: coachlittle
I have always said in order to beat DLS you have to get over the fact that you are playing DLS. If there not afraid then they have won half the battle. I think the Uber idea is the way to go.
GUYS...playing DLS is like casting a shadow at the vey beginning, as Larry mentioned, most teams have already lost before they reach the field...DLS is DLS when you play DLS you play the best, so you have to be mentally ready right from the get go and reach into the "IT" that every body has and play to win. Folsom will give them a game but, but the key to victory is to out play the DLS line.
Control the DLS line play and you have a chance.

Reactions: concrete17

#2 Pitt
#3 LIberty
#4 CV

Good stuff EBF! Ya there has been a lot of transfers. And it will be interesting to see how the ruling goes for the transfers that Clayton, Pittsburg and Liberty received. Clayton is used to this process but Liberty and Pitt see to have become hot commodities. Must be Butterfield because they beat no one last year and were humiliated by Pitt.

Cannot wait for the new season. I’ll be at Pitt Jamboree and De La Salle against Folsom for sure.

Good stuff EBF! Ya there has been a lot of transfers. And it will be interesting to see how the ruling goes for the transfers that Clayton, Pittsburg and Liberty received. Clayton is used to this process but Liberty and Pitt see to have become hot commodities. Must be Butterfield because they beat no one last year and were humiliated by Pitt.

Cannot wait for the new season. I’ll be at Pitt Jamboree and De La Salle against Folsom for sure.
GUYS...there have been a number of transfers and the question is...WHO are they...Example...the QB from Monte Vista to clayton Valley.. and who are the rest, this could be a big game changer, and a deflation for some teams.....The 2018 season is getting hot...

GUYS...there have been a number of transfers and the question is...WHO are they...Example...the QB from Monte Vista to clayton Valley.. and who are the rest, this could be a big game changer, and a deflation for some teams.....The 2018 season is getting hot...
GUYS.....The question is...Is Logan Sumter, QB for Clayton Valley, a senior going to have to share duties...If Jack Stewardson a Jr. at MV is the QB that is transferring...or is the QB from MV just joining the Eagles for other positions....CVC is going to be tough this year. They are loaded with seniors and don't have a threat in the FAL.

Sumter transferred before last season started and paid his dues from what I know. Has the potential to be a legit QB. Put in a a lot of work during the off season and shows well as a pro style QB. Not sure if he's a great fit in their scheme but if they throw the ball often I doubt he will share time for long. Kid has good size, arm strength and accuracy.

I can’t figure out why any drop back pro style QB would ever want to play at CVC. They have a gimmick offense that is really boring to watch. Rarely do they pass the ball. I don’t believe Murphy would even know how to coach a passing offense.

Reactions: Paloma
I dont know a lot about pitt this year and i admit im a folsom fan as i live there..though i grew up in east bay until hs..but how can one argue pitt is better than folsom?...folsom has joe and dan ngata kaiden bennet elijia badger and maybe the best offense in nor cal history save jake browning (that 2014 was national record setting but because of execution and precision)..with a very solid defense and ol...maybe vastly underrated)...in fact i think that both the OL and defense will be a better than we can hope for, enough to possibly help folsom beat dls..so im just curious about what makes pitt supposedly so good and better than folsom? Outside of pitt fans, im not sure of any organization that putts them ahead of folsom or even in top 25 nationally, where many publications interchange folsom and dls

I welcome more insight into pitt...

Also. i think the reason why people are so high on folsom is that they were not expected to do what they did last year and so they took a huge leap and now people see the type of break through skill players and team unit they had...now while i think folsom will beat dls, it will take the ol holding up and dl playing well. IF this happens, i think folsom actually decently beats dls because of joe dan elijiah and kaiden..i think calhisports remarked last year that joe ngata was as good as any of the MD receivers last year (incl. St. Brown) and dls had fits there. IF the ol and def do not contain dls, it will be most likely a dls win...

Now while most people expect folsom to beat dla because of dls history of having trouble early in the season, i wonder if folsom would be better off playing them later? I ask this because i think back to 2014, where by the time folsom got to the playoffs and then cif final, they were unstoppable because of ol and execution..i would have picked folsom over dls easily that year even though dls was obviously very good...would a half or full season put folsom at a unstoppable level, giving the ol and defense time to gel)?

I dont know a lot about pitt this year and i admit im a folsom fan as i live there..though i grew up in east bay until hs..but how can one argue pitt is better than folsom?...folsom has joe and dan ngata kaiden bennet elijia badger and maybe the best offense in nor cal history save jake browning (that 2014 was national record setting but because of execution and precision)..with a very solid defense and ol...maybe vastly underrated)...in fact i think that both the OL and defense will be a better than we can hope for, enough to possibly help folsom beat dls..so im just curious about what makes pitt supposedly so good and better than folsom? Outside of pitt fans, im not sure of any organization that putts them ahead of folsom or even in top 25 nationally, where many publications interchange folsom and dls

Also. i think the reason why people are so high on folsom is that they were not expected to do what they did last year and so they took a huge leap and now people see the type of break through skill players and team unit they had...now while i think folsom will beat dls, it will take the ol holding up and dl playing well. IF this happens, i think folsom actually decently beats dls because of joe dan elijiah and kaiden..i think calhisports remarked last year that joe ngata was as good as any of the MD receivers last year (incl. St. Brown) and dls had fits there. IF the ol and def do not contain dls, it will be most likely a dls win...

Now while most people expect folsom to beat dla because of dls history of having trouble early in the season, i wonder if folsom would be better off playing them later? I ask this because i think back to 2014, where by the time folsom got to the playoffs and then cif final, they were unstoppable because of ol and execution..i would have picked folsom over dls easily that year even though dls was obviously very good...would a half or full season put folsom at a unstoppable level, giving the ol and defense time to gel)?
All reasonable views. I disagree in every way but that does not mean your wrong. It just means your a Folsom fan that mainly saw Folsom. Be that as it may, I can tell you all kinds if DLS controls the OL and DL Folsom is done. And if it goes the other way around then DLS is done. What is a really bad look to me personally is when a team gets absolutely throttled in every way possible for two straight years. Then goes and gets the way things are done changed ( the Folsom rule). Then starts puffing out there chest saying we would have beaten you. Well maybe so but YOU made sure we will never know. I say Folsom was unstoppable because they didn’t have to play anyone. Personally I hope DLS wins. But for me more importantly I hope both fight and give it all they got and come out of it healthy and a story to tell there Grand children. As for Pitt they don’t belong ahead of Folsom but they are not to be overlooked.

Last edited:

Excellent post. The type I like to read...I have no bones with Folsom, I have an issue with the G61 of this board....

I am not in the know of Pitt but I believe Pitt is loaded with athletes, those types of teams give Folsom fits...Lokk at what Sac High has done. They beat Folsom and then Folsom got lucky in the second meeting....

Excellent post. The type I like to read...I have no bones with Folsom, I have an issue with the G61 of this board....

I am not in the know of Pitt but I believe Pitt is loaded with athletes, those types of teams give Folsom fits...Lokk at what Sac High has done. They beat Folsom and then Folsom got lucky in the second meeting....
Actually Sac High got lucky in the first meeting. That was corrected in the 2nd meeting during an undefeated run and another state title.

All reasonable views. I disagree in every way but that does not mean your wrong. It just means your a Folsom fan that mainly saw Folsom. Be that as it may, I can tell you all kinds if DLS controls the OL and DL Folsom is done. And if it goes the other way around then DLS is done. What is a really bad look to me personally is when a team gets absolutely throttled in every way possible for two straight years. Then goes and gets the way things are done changed ( the Folsom rule). Then starts puffing out there chest saying we would have beaten you. Well maybe so but YOU made sure we will never know. I say Folsom was unstoppable because they didn’t have to play anyone. Personally I hope DLS wins. But for me more importantly I hope both fight and give it all they got and come out of it healthy and a story to tell there Grand children. As for Pitt they don’t belong ahead of Folsom but they are not to be overlooked.
Same old song and dance.

"Look at the games from 5 years ago! Folsom rule!"

Those talking points won't save you on the 17th when Folsom beats DLS on their home field.

Book it!

Great post!

I agree with all of your points. It's sad we couldnt see Folsom play DLS in 2014 at the end of the year when both teams were at their best. But hey that's water under the bridge now.

Good points on the Folsom skill players. The last time Folsom played DLS they didn't have near the talent at the skill positions. They didnt have a mobile QB. DLS will have to be MUCH MORE precise in their defensive game plan with this current Folsom team. DLSs defense will make the difference. DLS will make mistakes on offense. If Folsom is able to capitalize early and force DLS to try and throw every so often, the entire game dynamic could change. DLS will want to stick to the veer and wear folsom down. They have zero intention to stand there and trade punches with high powered, #1 ranked Folsom. If Folsoms D line can get stops they will be in business. That is the difference maker for Folsom. The D line.

Should he a great and historic night.

Go Bulldogs!

The other (non-Folsom hater) way to look at those two games is that Sac High got lucky in the first game and Folsom beat them in the second game. I saw that first game and Folsom threw a couple of pick-six and fumbled going into the endzone. That first game was looking like a complete blow-out until Folsom started turning the ball over.

Great athletes at the skill positions can give any team fits. Folsom is not immune. Nor is Sac High. Nor is DLS.

Reactions: cashisking18
Actually Sac High got lucky in the first meeting. That was corrected in the 2nd meeting during an undefeated run and another state title.

Something is wrong with you dude. Folsom didn't expect what they got the first time around and got handled....Second time around they scored in the waning moments to win...Sac High had the lead.....back to blocking the new handle....

IMO the Folsom-DLS game will come down to Folsom's D being able to force 3rd & long situations, and Folsom's OL being able to protect their QB. If Folsom lets DLS grind the game on the ground, then it will be a long night for the Bulldogs. DLS' D I expect will play like DLS' D. Disciplined, keeping everything in front of them, fast trigger off blocks, strong pursuit.

Something is wrong with you dude. Folsom didn't expect what they got the first time around and got handled....Second time around they scored in the waning moments to win...Sac High had the lead.....back to blocking the new handle....
If your claim to fame is talking about ONE Folsom loss 2 years ago when nearly the entire team was sophomores, something is clearly wrong. Which proved to be lucky anyways since Sac High was dominated on their field last year. But hey at least the game was much more competitive, then let's say.......Rocklin or Woodcreek.

Haters gonna hate! Winners gonna keep winning!

The other (non-Folsom hater) way to look at those two games is that Sac High got lucky in the first game and Folsom beat them in the second game. I saw that first game and Folsom threw a couple of pick-six and fumbled going into the endzone. That first game was looking like a complete blow-out until Folsom started turning the ball over.

Great athletes at the skill positions can give any team fits. Folsom is not immune. Nor is Sac High. Nor is DLS.
Spot on. Funny to see the extent that some posters will go to on here to spread their hate.

That's how you know you've arrived!

Great post!

I agree with all of your points. It's sad we couldnt see Folsom play DLS in 2014 at the end of the year when both teams were at their best. But hey that's water under the bridge now.

Good points on the Folsom skill players. The last time Folsom played DLS they didn't have near the talent at the skill positions. They didnt have a mobile QB. DLS will have to be MUCH MORE precise in their defensive game plan with this current Folsom team. DLSs defense will make the difference. DLS will make mistakes on offense. If Folsom is able to capitalize early and force DLS to try and throw every so often, the entire game dynamic could change. DLS will want to stick to the veer and wear folsom down. They have zero intention to stand there and trade punches with high powered, #1 ranked Folsom. If Folsoms D line can get stops they will be in business. That is the difference maker for Folsom. The D line.

Should he a great and historic night.

Go Bulldogs!

There really is not any reason to bring up 2014, and what would have happened. You cant go back in time and play it, so arguing about it is pointless. The problem I have had with Folsom over the recent years has been their scheduling. Folsom has been an elite program for many years now, but up until now have not had an elite schedule. Big props to them for stepping up and making this DLS game happen (and for DLS to make the game too!). I hope that Folsom continues to have an upgraded schedule for years to come.
I do think this is the best chance that Folsom has had in beating DLS and see this as a close game between 2 elite teams. I think it will come down to whether DLS can stop the big plays from Ngata brothers. A player with that elite level of athleticism is a threat to break a long one every time he touches the ball. If DLS can prevent the big plays, I see them winning. I think DLS will grind it out on offense to keep that clock running and limit Folsom's offense from being on the field. I do think this game will be very close but I if I had to make a prediction it would be DLS by 3. I'm just thrilled we are getting this game and it will clearly establish right from the beginning who is the best NorCal team! Go Folsom! Go DLS!

Reactions: WWHS44
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT