ADVERTISEMENT

2018: Things you're intrigued about this season

ThunderRam

Hall of Famer
Sep 19, 2009
With the 2018 season right around the corner, it got me thinking about some programs, leagues and coaching situations I'm intrigued to see develop and play out. So I thought I'd share and also ask what you're looking forward to this season.

Here are 9 things I'm looking forward to (in no particular order):
  • Will Sheldon make a jump in season 3 of Joe C's tenure?
    8-4 in 2016. 9-3 in 2017. Back-to-back D1 Quarter Final appearances, losing to Folsom and St. Mary's respectively. They didn't schedule aggressively this preseason, but that's understandable at this point. They do have a big match up against what is being hyped to be a very formidable Jesuit team on 10/20.

• Year 7 for Marlon Blanton at Jesuit.
    Coming off the best season Big Red has enjoyed since Blanton took over in 2012, some are predicting this 2018 team to be among the best the Jesuit program has ever produced. I'm not sure I buy them being 1995, 1998 or 2002 good, but, if they are --- they should be able to give Folsom a run 10 days from now. The Bulldogs might be suffering from a DLS hangover (win or lose) so it'll be a huge opportunity show that they are for real.

• Can Folsom take the next (GIGANTIC) step forward?
    They already took a big step in scheduling DLS and Chaminade. Now they need take the next step and play a competitive game against the Mighty Spartans. If they can manage to do that (or win), they will have morphed from an elite SJS program to an elite CA program.

Let's face facts -- DLS is the bar in CA. Going toe to toe with them during a season they are expected to field one of their better teams is quite a feat. I really hope Folsom is up to the challenge. I believe they will be, but I've also thought that before <crossing fingers>.

• Can Pittsburg ride the momentum of 2017 to do what they did back on December 7th, 1991?
    The Pirates might be better than last season. And they're challenging that notion by scheduling the likes of Centennial-Corona, Clayton Valley and St. Mary's-Stockton. They even scheduled out-of-state power Jordan of Sandy Utah, but Jordan had to back out.

The Centennial game on 08/31 should tell us what we need to know. If the Pirates can fare a lot better than they did last season (63-21 loss), they should have an excellent chance to repeat their 1991 feat and win the NCS's top division.

• Will Darren Trueblood make a splash at University Prep?
    This relatively young Northern Section program has jumped to the Mid-Valley league where East Nicolaus resides. They'll need a coach like Trueblood in order to challenge Travis Barker's Spartans. Enterprise has taken a dive since Trueblood's departure, which makes me believe he can have an immediate impact at U-Prep. It might take a couple of years until they challenge for Section, but I'm still interested in seeing what the immediate impact will be.

• The SFL's new look.
    Gone are Woodcreek and Nevada Union. Whitney and Grant Union are in. There shouldn't be a weak link in the chain. All teams are gonna have to bring it week in and week out. No team can be overlooked. Most expect Folsom to dominate this upcoming season with what might be one of their top 3 teams ever, but the future looks bright with this kind of depth from top to bottom.

Whitney has a lot to prove, but they should provide a much stiffer challenge than Woodcreek ever did. Grant Union has been beneath the bar they set from 1991 through 2011, but they're still Grant Union. Lots of athletes, lots of size. On any given week, they can be a handful. And they're due.

• The CVC's new look. Antelope and Inderkum should headline this league. And they've never faced one another before. River Valley was clearly on the upswing last season with legendary Dave Humphers in the fold as Co-Head Coach. Woodcreek wasn't a good fit in the SFL, but they could be a real threat in this newly aligned league.

• Casey Taylor's 2nd season at Capital Christian.
    We all know that Casey is a helluva coach. But just how good is he? Del Oro was highly successful for a long period of time well before he got there. And during an era when it is so easy to make the postseason, it's hard to know. I'm sure a few more 70's, 80's and 90's era coaches would have won a few more section titles had they not been eliminated for finishing in 2nd, 3rd or 4th place. So while the 6 Section titles are surely impressive, they don't tell the entire story.

Capital won section titles in 2009, 2014, and 2016. But those came at the D5 and D6 levels. They're now participating in a D3 league. And they don't have Del Oro's rich history. Many -- myself included -- expect CT to succeed at Capital. But can he turn them into Sacramento's preeminent private school power? That remains to be seen. The resources seem to be there. But will the players and support follow? 2018 should give us a much better indication what to expect next.

• The CAL's new look.
    Capital Christian. Christian Brothers. Del Campo. Sacramento. Vista del Lago. With those 5, it's super easy to overlook the fact that El Camino and Rio Americano are there too. This might be the most competitive league in the SJS. Next to the SFL, this is the league I'll be keeping my eye on most. I can't wait!

That's it for me -- for now ;)
So what do you have your eye on this season?

** For the NCS/CCS/OS/SFS/NS/CS guys, sorry I didn't touch on much or anything about your areas. I'm counting on you to do that!

Last edited:
With the 2018 season right around the corner, it got me thinking about some programs, leagues and coaching situations I'm intrigued to see develop and play out. So I thought I'd share and also ask what you're looking forward to this season.

8-4 in 2016. 9-3 in 2017. Back-to-back D1 Quarter Final appearances, losing to Folsom and St. Mary's respectively. They didn't schedule aggressively this preseason, but that's understandable at this point. They do have a big match up against what is being hyped to be a very formidable Jesuit team on 10/20.

Coming off the best season Big Red has enjoyed since Blanton took over in 2012, some are predicting this 2018 team to be among the best the Jesuit program has ever produced. I'm not sure I buy them being 1995, 1998 or 2002 good, but, if they are --- they should be able to give Folsom a run 10 days from now. The Bulldogs might be suffering from a DLS hangover (win or lose) so it'll be a huge opportunity show that they are for real.

They already took a big step in scheduling DLS and Chaminade. Now they need take the next step and play a competitive game against the Mighty Spartans. If they can manage to do that (or win), they will have morphed from an elite SJS program to an elite CA program.

Let's face facts -- DLS is the bar in CA. Going toe to toe with them during a season they are expected to field one of their better teams is quite a feat. I really hope Folsom is up to the challenge. I believe they will be, but I've also thought that before <crossing fingers>.

• Can Pittsburg ride the momentum of 2017 to do what they did back on December 7th, 1991?
    The Pirates might be better than last season. And they're challenging that notion by scheduling the likes of Centennial-Corona, Clayton Valley and St. Mary's-Stockton. They even scheduled out-of-state power Jordan of Sandy Utah, but Jordan had to back out.

The Centennial game on 08/31 should tell us what we need to know. If the Pirates can fare a lot better than they did last season (63-21 loss), they should have an excellent chance to repeat their 1991 feat and win the NCS's top division.

This relatively young Northern Section program has jumped to the Mid-Valley league where East Nicolaus resides. They'll need a coach like Trueblood in order to challenge Travis Barker's Spartans. Enterprise has taken a dive since Trueblood's departure, which makes me believe he can have an immediate impact at U-Prep. It might take a couple of years until they challenge for Section, but I'm still interested in seeing what the immediate impact will be.

• The SFL's new look.
    Gone are Woodcreek and Nevada Union. Whitney and Grant Union are in. There shouldn't be a weak link in the chain. All teams are gonna have to bring it week in and week out. No team can be overlooked. Most expect Folsom to dominate this upcoming season with what might be one of their top 3 teams ever, but the future looks bright with this kind of depth from top to bottom.

Whitney has a lot to prove, but they should provide a much stiffer challenge than Woodcreek ever did. Grant Union has been beneath the bar they set from 1991 through 2011, but they're still Grant Union. Lots of athletes, lots of size. On any given week, they can be a handful. And they're due.

• The CVC's new look. Antelope and Inderkum should headline this league. And they've never faced one another before. River Valley was clearly on the upswing last season with legendary Dave Humphers in the fold as Co-Head Coach. Woodcreek wasn't a good fit in the SFL, but they could be a real threat in this newly aligned league.

We all know that Casey is a helluva coach. But just how good is he? Del Oro was highly successful for a long period of time well before he got there. And during an era when it is so easy to make the postseason, it's hard to know. I'm sure a few more 70's, 80's and 90's era coaches would have won a few more section titles had they not been eliminated for finishing in 2nd, 3rd or 4th place. So while the 6 Section titles are surely impressive, they don't tell the entire story.

Capital won section titles in 2009, 2014, and 2016. But those came at the D5 and D6 levels. They're now participating in a D3 league. And they don't have Del Oro's rich history. Many -- myself included -- expect CT to succeed at Capital. But can he turn them into Sacramento's preeminent private school power? That remains to be seen. The resources seem to be there. But will the players and support follow? 2018 should give us a much better indication what to expect next.

• The CAL's new look.
    Capital Christian. Christian Brothers. Del Campo. Sacramento. Vista del Lago. With those 5, it's super easy to overlook the fact that El Camino and Rio Americano are there too. This might be the most competitive league in the SJS. Next to the SFL, this is the league I'll be keeping my eye on most. I can't wait!

** For the NCS/CCS/OS/SFS/NS/CS guys, sorry I didn't touch on much or anything about your areas. I'm counting on you to do that!
Exceptional outlook and musings!

• The SFL's new look.

• The CAL's new look.

GREAT post!

Thanks for the insight!

Will Darren Trueblood make a splash at University Prep?
  • This relatively young Northern Section program has jumped to the Mid-Valley league where East Nicolaus resides. They'll need a coach like Trueblood in order to challenge Travis Barker's Spartans. Enterprise has taken a dive since Trueblood's departure, which makes me believe he can have an immediate impact at U-Prep. It might take a couple of years until they challenge for Section, but I'm still interested in seeing what the immediate impact will be.
With U-Prep committing to staying above 500 students they will remain in D3 for the playoffs, which is a big jump from the D5 league they were in last year, with them moving up to a D4 league this year their record probably wont be as good but either way I don't think they will be challenging Sutter anytime soon for a Section title, let alone beat EN.

What has me intrigued is:
1. Can Sutter maintain its dominance in D3 and get that elusive State Championship?

2. Can Nevada Union compete at a D3 level and turn their program around?

Good stuff TR

Lot of dialog on Folsom/DLS and deservedly so. Since I’m an SFL fan the game on Winton Ave this Friday is the most intriguing indicator for me on Folsom’s trajectory to joining the national elite ranks. Win or lose will shape the trajectory line and I’m most interested to know the slope of that line. Go Folsom!

Really cool to have the G-men in the SFL. Seems Grant has been experimenting with finding a new identity the past season I.e. spread-O. Will they continue with the spread while playing in a league where most games are like playoff games? Will they revert to their more traditional run first stop me if you can approach? Welcome Grant!

Interested to see how Whitney does in this bruiser league with relatively new coach and coming from D3.

My next intrigue is Del Oro. Would be remiss not to mention Del Oro. Indications are 2nd year HC will install new offensive scheme and from last scrimmage looks like a spread. Del Oro and spread in the same sentence seems a contradiction in terms, can’t wrap my head around that. IMO it takes a complete system, coaching know how and skill players to effectively and consistently execute spread and consistently win like the Folsom. Also new DC, what will he bring...?

Since I’m an SFL fan the game on Winton Ave this Friday is the most intriguing indicator for me on Folsom’s trajectory to joining the national elite ranks. Win or lose will shape the trajectory line and I’m most interested to know the slope of that line. Go Folsom!

Yeah, I know that some are mocking all the ongoing discussion over the Folsom-DLS game --- but let's be real --- that is THE GAME this week. Sure, there are other match ups to get excited about, but, if given only one choice, most are going to watch the BIG game. I know I will.

That said, I'll also have an eye on the following: Centennial-Chandler, Monte Vista-Granite Bay, Vacaville-Liberty, Antelope-Rocklin, Del Oro-AV, Elk Grove-Indy.

2. Can Nevada Union compete at a D3 level and turn their program around?

This is a good one. New coach, new league. While Placer should be the favorite, I think NU could compete well.

It's still surreal for me to see where NU is today and how they are viewed. They were one of the elite D1 programs from the day I first heard of them in the mid-80's up until just 9 years ago. Now they are looked at no differently than a typical struggling program.

The Regional and State games didn't exist when they were winning titles so their resume doesn't seem as impressive as others, but they were very legit. And they had to compete against Grant Union for the league title all those years, with Del Campo also challenging during Steve Kenyon's tenure.

I've brought this up before, but in 1996 NU missed the playoffs with a 9-1 record (imagine that happening today?!). Their only loss was to Del Campo on a last-second hail mary pass in which they lost 33-32. They had beaten Grant Union earlier that season and the Pacers in turn beat Del Campo. So there was a 3-way tie at 6-1 in the CAL. Back in those days only 2 teams from each league could advance to the postseason in most leagues with a few getting 3 teams in on a rotational basis. In 1996, the rotation had the CAL only getting 2 bids, so a coin flip was used to determine which 2 got in. NU obviously lost out.

Grant Union ended up wining D1 Section with one of the best teams they've ever fielded, yet lost to NU 21-19 earlier that season. Had the rules of today existed, that Miners team would have had a chance to show a lot more than they did. They just might have wrestled that title away from the G. I always say that one of the very best NU team ever never even got a shot at the postseason. It's crazy to say that!

The players/teams playing today don't realize or appreciate how lucky they are with regard to postseason games in this day and age. It's hard not to qualify anymore. Lots of good-to-great teams 15+ years ago never got the opportunity. My junior season, I played for a team that went 7-3 and 4-2 in league yet never sniffed a postseason game. My senior year was less successful (5-4-1) but under today's rules we would have qualified that season too. And once you get in, anything can happen!

Anyway, enough with the trip down memory lane. The point is that I actually miss seeing NU in the fray and hope they can rebound in their new league. IMO, HS football is always better when the Miners are relevant. The venue and atmosphere at Hooper Stadium is among the best I've ever seen. They need to re-discover the 'Miner Magic'!

Last edited:
Isn't NU just a reflection of an aging community that never really replenished young families? Nevada City/Grass Valley is really a retirement place. Maybe 20 years ago you could live there and commute into Sacramento. Now that would be insane. Anyway, I just see a big demographic shift that happened there.

Am I crazy to think Folsom could start 0-2? Jesuit is good enough to beat them. That last game was close. Both teams return a ton of talent. You just never know. Then again Folsom could be 2-0..... Can't wait.

. Indications are 2nd year HC will install new offensive scheme and from last scrimmage looks like a spread. Del Oro and spread in the same sentence seems a contradiction in terms, can’t wrap my head around that....?
ya’all won’t wrap your head, guy ran lotsa spread last year n floundered, good with tite end and fulback, just not impressed, did get better late in season when got away from spread. New dc is gonna be good, old defense never got ball back, seemed on field forever, kids luv him

Reactions: 13 others
Isn't NU just a reflection of an aging community that never really replenished young families? Nevada City/Grass Valley is really a retirement place. Maybe 20 years ago you could live there and commute into Sacramento. Now that would be insane. Anyway, I just see a big demographic shift that happened there.

IDK. You could say the same of any rural community. I just find it hard to believe that for 40+ years plenty of kids were going through there and now suddenly nobody's having kids anymore? It was always a difficult commute to Sacramento even back in the 80's. I don't see that being a factor. You do have a point about communities growing up. I know the school I attended has diminished from D1 back in the 80's and 90's to D2 in the early 2000's to D3 a decade ago and now will be D4 for the first time this season. And that's not a rural community, just part of the Sac suburbs.

The likes of Placer, Oakdale and Sonora have managed to remain relevant and at times dominant despite sharing similarities. The difference is they are in lower divisions while NU has remained in a D1 league (and shouldn't have). I think the drop down to D3 could really help them stabilize. And hopefully they've hired the right coach to get it started back up.

In the end, it's just strange seeing the drastic change the past 9 years after 30+ years of excellence.

I'm interested in seeing if Lincoln(Stockton) can win more than 5 games this year I really think they have a good team. Their QB should be good but didn't get much PT last year as the backup and the offense should have some weapons for him.

Reactions: ncscalfootball
I'm interested in seeing if Lincoln(Stockton) can win more than 5 games this year I really think they have a good team. Their QB should be good but didn't get much PT last year as the backup and the offense should have some weapons for him.

They've got a big game with Antioch to start. That would be a nice W if they can manage it.

EG looks talented and big.
I think the time missed in the weight room (vacant HC) really showed. Much smaller in 2017 vs their past teams. They are not small this yr!

Yeah, I know that some are mocking all the ongoing discussion over the Folsom-DLS game --- but let's be real --- that is THE GAME this week. Sure, there are other match ups to get excited about, but, if given only one choice, most are going to watch the BIG game. I know I will.

That said, I'll also have an eye on the following: Centennial-Chandler, Monte Vista-Granite Bay, Vacaville-Liberty, Antelope-Rocklin, Del Oro-AV, Elk Grove-Indy.
Pittsburg vs Clayton Valley should be interesting

Ironically it took a bunch of D4 and D3 teams to move up into D2 to make it respectable again
Agreed.

And it also made D4 respectable again by moving teams that shouldn't have been there into higher divisions to level the playing field. Win win.

its the THE GAME unless its a typical Nor Cal blow out by DLS than it will be the most over rated over hyped game of week 1. FHS, show up and show out. Would be good for norcal football

NU used to be a benchmark, players go to any school now, hope they turn it around. Grant is physical and fast, they will be in mix if coaches can figure things out. DO will miss the mark in spread O and new guy in charge struggles. Folsom will be 1-1 to start season, bet on it!

13 Others, how does Lincoln look (wut kind of offense they running , how are their numbers)? thnx

1) I wonder how would Vacaville be if the they ran the Spread Option. Hope they go back to their ways when they won the SJS DI &DII Titles. Hope to see Milpitas or MACK on their third game of their preseason schedule in the future.

2) Wish someone cud provide more insight on Wood. On another post it seems they found athier Qb and am wondering if they gonna air it out again. How are their numbers.

3) Would also like any info on Vanden now that they are in the MEL.

4) I wonder if American Canyon, Benicia, Napa, Vacaville, Vanden, Vintage & Wood were in a league together...that would have been nice!

13 Others, how does Lincoln look (wut kind of offense they running , how are their numbers)? thnx
They run an air raid offense spread out short passes. Their QB looks good accurate passes. I know they lost some kids from last year on offense but they look like they have some good athletic WRs Filling in. Defense runs 4-3 I think there are some good returns there too. Don't know a whole lot about their numbers I know they have won 5 games the last two seasons I just think their schedule this year is tough it'll be impressive if they can get over that hump

Reactions: Kickingtee18
Good post Thunder! Yeah i remember that 96 pacer squad. Great team with an explosive offense. A. G was the o coordinator and did a great job molding the qb elliot. As always grant has a lot of speed and athletes. That year was no different with elliot throwing slants, hitches, and fades to mario, tony, and donte. This freed up a young stable of back mainly graves and smith. Plus dont get caught with your eyes in the back field you might miss t.e culpepper or reed caughting a pass up the hash mark. Some say they were one of the greatest or the greatest pacer team of all time. Having a good qb allows you to remember all those key athletes. Give us a qb and that team is replicated year in year out. You couldnt load the box with them. As good as there were tho, to a lot of pacers that championship team lacked two crucial elements that would have put them as maybe the best all time pacer team. They lost to nevada union in the regular season as Thunder pointed out and they didnt have to go through the miners in the playoffs to get that ring like in 92. Its not there fault they had to go to carmicheal to beat a talented del campo team instead of travel to grass valley to face our nemesis. But none-the-less as great as they were those two factors weigh in. However if they did get to play again i think we win, big! Nu was really good that year but my gboys were healthy and the offense was clicking on all cylinders at the right time. I miss them good ole days

NU had 2980 students in 2000. NU currently has 1490 students.

With many factors at play including stuff mentioned in here NU's admin didn't realize that with the continued declining enrollment (is the end is sight?) that staying in the SFL would be the worse thing a school can do. NU had a chance to fight to get out of the SFL years ago and didn't. All of the varsity sports over the last 8 years (girls and boys) have won less than 30% of their league games combined. It's not a football thing. Boys basketball has won 2 league games over the last 2 seasons. I could list more, but the point is made.

Football numbers are down. Barely 20 on the frosh team. NU did NOT have a JV football team last season. Only 2 players on the current varsity team had extended minutes last season. 2! Combine that without having a JV squad and you get massive amounts of unknown/inexperience this season. Changing leagues is obviously good, but it might take time to get out of the massive ditch NU has been in.

NU had 2980 students in 2000. NU currently has 1490 students.

With many factors at play including stuff mentioned in here NU's admin didn't realize that with the continued declining enrollment (is the end is sight?) that staying in the SFL would be the worse thing a school can do. NU had a chance to fight to get out of the SFL years ago and didn't.

I agree. I think remaining in a D1 league -- albeit the toughest league -- despite the steep decline in enrollment has been among the biggest factors.

Those enrollment numbers are a head scratcher. Are there a bunch of empty homes! Did Grass Valley, Nevada City become a retirement Bed? The only option for high school without a huge commute would be Bear River and that is still a bit of a commute. That is a huge drop! NU has a very cool campus and nice athletic facilities.

Reactions: ThunderRam
I have all day on this topic. Did you know...the Nevada County leads the state...THE STATE...in the number of alternative schools? There are 60 charter schools, regular schools, etc.

Did you know that is 2011 Nevada County and one other county in the state had more DEATHS than births?

Did you know...that in 2009...the last year NU won a section title...the amount of Title 1 students at NU was 5%? Did you know that number is now 50%.

Not only has the population declined, the type of kid has changed as well.

But let's not fight to get out of the SFL. The kids and coaches that have had to endure the last 8 years...it's pretty sad.

And to think it'll magically turn around this year...is the wrong thinking. It'll be a little bit.

I'll throw a few topics I'm looking at that I don't think have been discussed.

McClymonds: Low numbers and graduation always leave questions, but they have legit talent at the top of the roster and will be challenged early. Can they keep this run going?

Grant: What do the Pacers look like this year and how do they fare in the SFL? Feels like a fork in a road type year for the program.

Paradise: They have lost their grip on D2 in the Northern Section, but I believe they bring a ton back. Could be a bounce back year

El Cerrito: Loaded with individual talent, but will it come together for team success? They had a real nice run with Kahn a few years back with that loaded group of Calhoun, Pickett and Harvey

El Cerrito the last couple years have been below average to average but this year there is a lot of excitement around the program, they are loaded. They got about 6 or more D1 players ,they got a couple transfers who will help immediately one from Mclymonds another from Los Angeles and one from Salesian Richmond who wasnt eligible last year who coaches are high on. Offensively they have a solid QB and multiple speed burner receivers and 2 real legit backs.Defense will be solid with the defensive backfield and linebackers stacked.

The weaknesses maybe the O-line/D-line(there will be a lot 2-way players on the line) as they lost a couple guys to grad and secondly they have so many weapons on offense that they hope guys are willing to sacrifice individual numbers for team success. They have a decent schedule with the always tough Campolindo, northbay power Rancho Cotate, Acalanes
and a explosive Union high out of Washington State.

With some of the traditional D3 powers moving up to D2 El Cerrito hopes to be in the mix for the championship with Cardinal Newman,Eureka,Analy etc.

St. Mary's QB, Noah May, returns to action for his junior season after 2017 season ending injury sustained at the end of the first half of the very first game last season vs Serra after going 11 for 18 and 241 yards with 3 TD's (in just one half of play). The Rams return speedster WR's in Jamar Marshall and Joe Fontes. 6'3". WR's Nicolas Reis and Asar-alim Moore return along with Dewey Cotton's younger brother, Dumaurier (aka. Yay Yay). The Rams aerial game will be at full force with Noah behind center and so many weapons to throw to, something the Rams missed last year, despite reaching the SJS D1 section finals. The big question mark is who will be carrying the rock behind Noah, with Dusty Frampton graduating. Heard nothing but positive feedback from Coach Franks about this year's line, led by seniors Hunter Jones and Gino Allen. The Rams have some size in 6'2" 265 lb sophomore, William Hopson and some up and coming youngsters like Izaiah Aponte (Marcus Aponte's younger brother) and Alonzo Jackson (may be carrying the rock) joining Hopson as sophomores. Much intrigued with upcoming game vs Pittsburg, which the Rams will definitely be underdogs, but hoping can/will compete. Who knows? What started in the first game vs Serra last year may be a sign of what is in store this year, so long as Noah May stays healthy. No doubt that was a huge hit and Dusty Frampton going down on his very first carry vs Folsom last year in the championship sure did not help. Looking for St. Mary's - Stockton to rebound from that devastating loss and surprise a lot of folks. This May kid is the real deal. Trust me! GO RAMS!!!

Reactions: ThunderRam
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT