ADVERTISEMENT

Anthony Gordon Lights Up UCLA

For anyone still looking for something to watch at 10:20pm on a Saturday night, this one is a barnburner! Gordon has thrown for a school record tying 7 TD’s and WSU keeps fumbling away opportunities.

UCLA with the ball down 49-38 and driving to start the 4th quarter! Gordon may toss 9 or 10 by the time this is over, and may need to if they hope to get the W!

Now 60-56 UCLA after a punt return for a TD... this one has turned into a two-hand touch game. No tackling allowed.

7:31 left, sorry you guys are all draped over the bar or passed out on the couch

Reactions: THEOC89
1:07 left. Showtime... if Gordon pulls this off he jumps into the Heisman race. UCLA’s true freshman qb is a beast as well!

QB recruiting is strange to me. Way to much emphasis on the look test. Intangibles so underrated. Here is a kid with zero offers out of terra nova! Zero. How do they get it that wrong? He had some PWO. Goes to CCSF and rest is history. NFL like wazzu Guys.

I’m watching ODU vs Virginia yesterday. Guess who starts for ODU? Stone smartt from Del Oro. How did he not get recruited here? WTH

2 other guys right now I can think of.
Jackson Pavitt -newman. Zero offer. Are you kidding me. Big sky? What a joke.
Justin Lamson- big time arm/size and competitor . How he has zero offers is beyond me.

List goes on and on... are the coaches that clueless?

Reactions: FormerD1Backer
I think coaches are a lot more comfortable with what they can measure rather than betting scholarships and their own political capital on intangibles. But seriously, when a guy has the tools and stands head and shoulders above even his best peers it makes you wonder what’s not to like?

Lamson may have put himself on someone’s radar this weekend. Maybe some of these other guys attended the wrong camps or “gulp” had the gall to play and excel at other sports too? It’s perplexing, but nice to see some overlooked talent making all the experts look stupid when they finally get the chance.

Kurt Warner anyone? Bagging groceries on his way to a HOF career!

Reactions: bella123
I had a HS coach tell me about recruiting in general: College coaches like to see a player in a role/system that they have. Most of the time, they don't like to "imagine" what a player could do in their role.

For example, an offensive lineman playing guard if they are a college guard, QB running a certain system, a safety not playing corner, etc.

This doesn't go for everyone, but that theory has helped explain some of the recruiting head scratches I have seen.

I had a HS coach tell me about recruiting in general: College coaches like to see a player in a role/system that they have. Most of the time, they don't like to "imagine" what a player could do in their role.

For example, an offensive lineman playing guard if they are a college guard, QB running a certain system, a safety not playing corner, etc.

This doesn't go for everyone, but that theory has helped explain some of the recruiting head scratches I have seen.

I believe your right. But I also think this is pretty lazy and coaches get locked into this. Look to fill out your team with football players.

I mean I doubt John Robinson ever has second guessed himself recruiting a QB\Safety in Marcus Allen. Or his teammate Ronnie Lott also a QB/Safety. “Nope these guys can’t play, I need a QB that fits my system. I got a lot of safeties, no way in hell Ronnie Lott could be a cornerback”.

Oftentimes common sense and trying to get a system guy is emphasized too much. Are their guys that don’t fit a system, sure. But big picture, football players win you games. QB’s Lynn Swan, Julian Edelman also say hello.

Bella- totally agree. Very lazy. And look how often they get it wrong. I mean what sort of going out on a limb would it have been to offer this terra nova kid? Jesus. Doesn’t take that long to figure out he can flat out play.

But look at all the stories like baker mayfield.. you just have to believe in yourself and keep grinding

It is definitely lazy and also points to more recruiters on college staffs than coaches.

I'm reminded of the idea, "get the right people on the bus and figure out where they are sitting there."

Nice streak... the good ones seem to get this.
Be interesting to see how it all plays out. I think over the long run kids that can play get noticed. 2 examples from NBL.

Jordon Brookshire is now #2 at SDSU after leading Laney but no offers out of Newman.

Jake Simmons #2 at SJ state from Rancho but had to hit SRJC first.

Nice streak... the good ones seem to get this.
Be interesting to see how it all plays out. I think over the long run kids that can play get noticed. 2 examples from NBL.

Jordon Brookshire is now #2 at SDSU after leading Laney but no offers out of Newman.

Jake Simmons #2 at SJ state from Rancho but had to hit SRJC first.

Jordon did have an offer from UNM but I think it was as an athlete not Qb specifically, and they run the triple option

...also at WSU:

Ty Harris of O'Dowd
Robert Valencia of Riordan
Ron Stone of Valley Christian
Tyler Williams of Los Gatos
Derrick Langford and Armauni Archie of El Cerrito
Blake McDonald and Johan Zetterberg of San Ramon Valley

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT