ADVERTISEMENT

Aquira DeCosta Enters transfer portal

Apparently, she and Honesty Scott-Grayson had some connection before both committed to Baylor, but now both have left. Scott-Grayson, who attended three (or maybe four) high schools, is now at Auburn.

must have seen the writing on the wall again in terms of playing time.. watch out for Cal

Top two players from 2018 class (DeCosta and Forbes) have now transferred after one year.

There are different reasons for these moves, but definitely noteworthy

It's a good thing, I think -- it's just a shame they have to sit out.

You're 16 or 17, coaches are giving you the hard sell, and you make a tough choice. As it turns out, it's the wrong one ... so you shift gears and move on. But why should changing your mind come with a one-year penalty? It doesn't if you're a coach or administrator.

Cal? Why? Details?
Oh I wasn't saying it was a done deal or anything. No inside info at all. Just saying: coming home, a step down in conference (cal is not a top tier pac12 team), they need players, former high school teammate (naje murray) already transferred there. If she has the grades to get in I expect Cal to be on the short list of possibilities. Again, just speculating

Reactions: colhenrylives
Aquira DeCosta could change the face of the WCC ... and also be a full-fledged star and potential MVP.

Yes, that's being a big fish in a small pond, but I'm not sure that the negative outweighs the positive.

Of course, it will never happen, and she will wind up at a Pac-12 school (most likely), but can you imagine how good Pacific could be, and how much fun it would be to take a program from national irrelevance to the NCAA tournament?

Reactions: northbaybbguru
Aquira DeCosta could change the face of the WCC ... and also be a full-fledged star and potential MVP.

Yes, that's being a big fish in a small pond, but I'm not sure that the negative outweighs the positive.

Of course, it will never happen, and she will wind up at a Pac-12 school (most likely), but can you imagine how good Pacific could be, and how much fun it would be to take a program from national irrelevance to the NCAA tournament?
While I don't think you're wrong, how do we know what kind of impact she can have at the college level? She has hardly played. The scenario you laid out sounds a lot like delle donne going from uconn to delaware, and I don't see her as that kind of player.

While I don't think you're wrong, how do we know what kind of impact she can have at the college level? She has hardly played. The scenario you laid out sounds a lot like delle donne going from uconn to delaware, and I don't see her as that kind of player.
You mean she is not going to make the same impact as the best player in the world? I would agree.

Look what happened when Mia Fisher and Erin Buschler went to UCSB. Immediate impact in a mid major conference and those two were big time BCS players. truth is they just loved being by the beach!

Pacific has a pretty good lineup already, with Loretta Kakala, Val Higgins and Jordan Cruz, just to name three. And I believe all are back next year.

You mean she is not going to make the same impact as the best player in the world? I would agree.

seeee thats why I was busting clay's chops a little... because his original statement made it seem like decosta would be putting the team on her back and carrying them to the tournament.. when in actuality, she could be another piece to an already increasingly impressive group... as he ended up stating here...

Pacific has a pretty good lineup already, with Loretta Kakala, Val Higgins and Jordan Cruz, just to name three. And I believe all are back next year.

Clay is always tooting the cal star horn exaggerating. 85-90% of those kids transfer.

Oh I wasn't saying it was a done deal or anything. No inside info at all. Just saying: coming home, a step down in conference (cal is not a top tier pac12 team), they need players, former high school teammate (naje murray) already transferred there. If she has the grades to get in I expect Cal to be on the short list of possibilities. Again, just speculating
Cal has 3 five star commits for next year. Is she talented enough to play ahead of them?

Cal has 3 five star commits for next year. Is she talented enough to play ahead of them?
I have very limited knowledge of their incoming recruits. And like I said before, I have limited knowledge of her game in college, she hardly ever played. I saw her many times in high school, enjoyed watching her in the USA 3x3 tournament, and always wondered how her game would translate in college. If you have some other schools that you think would be a good fit for her throw them out there. Cal was just a starting point for discussion

One of the great things about the EYBL is these kids actually get to compete against the best in the country. So we have seen what Aquira can do against the nation's best. Plus, she competed against many of the country's best high school teams/players as well as St. Mary's typically plays one of the better schedules in the country.

DeCosta is one of the elite athletes in the nation. Baylor was loaded and a National Champion. I would not assess her talents based on not playing as a freshman for a loaded National Champion.

Aquira would be a HUGE difference maker to any mid major or below should she choose to play at that level. But she will also impact whatever P5 she should choose. But to imply she may not be an immediate impact is actually quite silly after watching her against the nation's best throughout high school--both club and with her high school team.

Reactions: 6kids and OnBall8
I never questioned her ability to impact the game at the next level. All the talking heads said that she would have to move to a wing at the next level. She did not leave high school with much exposure at the 3. THAT is the only thing I wonder about her game. Has she already made that transition? Will she go somewhere she can play a 4? I'm sure she will find a great fit for her game the second time around. Somewhere she will play, and be used to the best of her abilities. I was not trying to knock her game at all. In fact, I'm selfishly excited that she may come to the west coast (presumably) where I will get to see more games.

I never questioned her ability to impact the game at the next level. All the talking heads said that she would have to move to a wing at the next level. She did not leave high school with much exposure at the 3. THAT is the only thing I wonder about her game. Has she already made that transition? Will she go somewhere she can play a 4? I'm sure she will find a great fit for her game the second time around. Somewhere she will play, and be used to the best of her abilities. I was not trying to knock her game at all. In fact, I'm selfishly excited that she may come to the west coast (presumably) where I will get to see more games.

Aquira is a true P5 player. I’m sure there are many national programs that would want her on their roster. I would only assume that she may be looking for a specific role on a team rather than just a “cog in a machine”of a top level program. She has played against not only the best in the nation but also on a global scale as well. I applaud her for wanting to choose a program in which she can play her own style. I too hope to see her back on the court soon. She is an exciting player to watch

Reactions: OnBall8
Kakala and DeCosta are best buddies...

I talked to Loretta at the McClatchy/SMS game last year and asked her about DeCosta(and potential transfer to UOP) and she just gave me a sly smile...

I've got UOP

It's always interesting whether a player wants to go to college near home, or wants to move away.

Since DeCosta spent a year in cosmopolitan Waco, she may have decided she likes home more than she thought. (You can always get your laundry done ...)

Or she may have decided she likes the freedom.

Kakala and DeCosta are best buddies...

I talked to Loretta at the McClatchy/SMS game last year and asked her about DeCosta(and potential transfer to UOP) and she just gave me a sly smile...

I've got UOP
so even before the end of the season and that once in a lifetime run to a title she was already out the door>!>!> kids now a days built different

It's always interesting whether a player wants to go to college near home, or wants to move away.

Since DeCosta spent a year in cosmopolitan Waco, she may have decided she likes home more than she thought. (You can always get your laundry done ...)

Or she may have decided she likes the freedom.
i dont know whats worse.. .waco or stockton

Reactions: SmoothJay
At the other end of the spectrum while on this topic, former McClatchy star from last season, Kamryn Hall played 28 minutes in her very first collegiate game as a true freshman at Army West Point tonight, in West Point's first game of the season. Although not impressive stats wise, being in the starting 5, I'm sure she is happy about the playing time.
https://goarmywestpoint.com/boxscore.aspx?id=11639&path=wbball

One more thing about Cal. I'm a season ticket owner for Cal but I don't know anything about Aquira. Except Cal would be a good fit for her. I wouldn't have said this two weeks ago but a lot has changed since then.

Cal has a verbal from three 5 star bigs. Plus they got a big in the freshman class who is quite good. And a few other freshman who are quite good. So they can let her be a wing. Brown, who is a wing is a senior. So you would be coming in with a lot of other young takent who needs your position. They also have a Euro coming in as a big guard.

So whether she would come or not, she would be a perfect fit.

One more thing about Cal. I'm a season ticket owner for Cal but I don't know anything about Aquira. Except Cal would be a good fit for her. I wouldn't have said this two weeks ago but a lot has changed since then.

Cal has a verbal from three 5 star bigs. Plus they got a big in the freshman class who is quite good. And a few other freshman who are quite good. So they can let her be a wing. Brown, who is a wing is a senior. So you would be coming in with a lot of other young takent who needs your position. They also have a Euro coming in as a big guard.

So whether she would come or not, she would be a perfect fit.
you have tickets to womens basketball and dont know DeCosta? thats a weird flex

Cal Just lost to Harvard. I assume Decosta might be able to help.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT