ADVERTISEMENT

Arizona State gets 2017 standout

If it were up to me, they would make wholesale changes. Unfortunately, it's not going to happen. I say this tongue in cheek, but we have one guy to blame - John Savage of UCLA. When he was hired over a decade ago at Irvine, he had a two year window to bring back a dormant program. He had a lot of time on his hands and decided to not only bring in one recruiting class but line up another one right behind it.

There are so many archaic rules that are easily worked around. By the way, coaches can now call or text juniors. Sophomores can call coaches but they cannot call players back. So what do they do, call their high school or summer coach and tell them to call back at a certain time.

They should outlaw unofficial visits until fall of the junior year. That includes phone calls. That includes one on one contact at their camps. They should move up official visits summer between junior-senior year. Just some ideas.

I agree with all of that NCSF.

BTW, do you think the Pac12's 4-year guaranteed schollies will slow this down? No impact? Hard for me to see how it speeds it up even more.

Just another thing worth reading, but if this thread interested you, go look at the thread linked below and in particular the responses from rynoattack and Shoveit4Ks. Two very real stories with totally different outcomes, but outcomes worth thinking about nonetheless.

This post was edited on 11/10 7:07 AM by atcshrk

HSbaseballweb on Early Commit

NCSF and others..

Blame Coach Savage?? You should be thanking him!!! Which is what I think you were doing when you say "tounge in cheek". Please, for the integrity of this board, do not comment on NCAA regulations; they do not apply to you. In fact your position in all this is to MAKE MONEY. In fact these NCAA regulations give you a place and perceived validation within the recruitment process that you can exploit. Don't get me wrong, this is America and you found a niche to capitalize on.

I will even give you credit for a few things:

-providing a valuable service for colleges and scouts, as recruiting budgets and NCAA regulations limit most school's ability to evaluate players

-you have always, in most opinions, tried to hire "good baseball people" to manage (not coach) your teams

-you have blazed a trail for the numerous copycats and knockoffs that have followed.

That being said, the picture posted above applies. Albeit an attempt in humor, it seems "self-importance" and hypocrisy has reared it's ugly head. Simply put, if any of you have taken money from an uncommitted high school senior, with the expressed goal of getting him "exposure", you are going to be criticized. In fact, NCSF, in your previous post, you illustrated how recruiting classes are getting younger and younger, essentially phasing out the HS senior. What I find funny, NCSF, is that you praise "Tired of This", but he's talking about you and those like you!! Oh, and Coach Raich, I'd love to call and chat but I'm not looking to play for DeAnza, so unfortunately I won't be taking part in the resurgence of DeAnza College Baseball that BKWRDKUROUT seems to be so excited about. Be careful that posting your number on a website like this isn't a recruiting violation.

Next, if any of you have tried to get a young athlete to play for your team by citing your "D1 contacts", you will be criticized. How many of you have coached in a D1 atmosphere? Have you had to take the NCAA certification test? (And having lunch with local D1 head coaches does not count.) Blaine Clemmons is the only one that comes to mind, and also served as a scout briefly. Coach Raich is the new coach at DeAnza and on probation before practices even started, and Trosky was the coach at MPC for a short time.

Oh and also, If any of you have used the term "player development" in describing your philosophies or referred to your "clients" as "your players", you will be criticized. In fact, just recently, Trosky Baseball tweeted a picture of kids at a one-day camp with the #playerdevelopment. So in one day, those kids are going to come away from a Trosky showcase with the knowledge and athleticism to be D1 athletes? Maybe, but you better make sure your check clears!! And lets get this straight, the kids are YOUR CLIENTS, not your players!!

Parents pay good money to these services, teams, and events, and for the most part it's usually a positive experience, but in some degree you all are benefitting from the desperation of the uncommitted athlete and the egoism of helicopter parents bragging in the stands of a little league game. There are many parents, high school coaches, college coaches, scouts, players, etc. that feel this way. Hopefully they will start asking the right questions when they employ your services, but more importantly, hopefully they ask the hard questions about themselves; for example: "How much can I ADD to a college baseball team?" Rather than, "how much scholarship money can I get?" One answer is infinite, one answer is definitely finite. Can you imagine if these kids learned how to contribute to a community like a college baseball team, instead of calculating how much "exposure" they will get. Can you imagine if these players learned the game at these showcases or events, rather than trying to increase their radar gun reading.. Did someone say Tommy John?
Enjoy your D1 lunches gentlemen.

To TGABC and "Snowden"

With one exception you guys chose the wrong guys the pick on here. If you want to whine about the showcase biz get your facts straight because Norcal and CCB are not in the showcase business and the showcase events that they do take their players to are worthwhile.

Say what you want about Rob Bruno but Norcal is an excellent, class organization. Rob and Tony have helped lots of players including many who do not play for them. They do things the right way and dont make false promises. Perfect? Far from it. But name a better, more respected club out there. You cant.....

Same can be said about Erick Raich and CCB. They may not have as many big names as Norcal but they do a great job and I just dont understand why you guys are bashing him (I suspect you are rivals trying to stir things up and if that is the case I feel sorry for you). Erick took a program in disarray at Paly and all he did was win. And now he is taking on what was a huge mess at Deanza and will produce a winner there as well. And BTW, Deanza is NOT on probation.

Blaine Clemmens does a very good job with his events. Yes, he is in the showcase business but that does not make him a bad guy. His events are reasonably priced, well run, and well scouted. Lots of under the radar players have been identified at his events. Whats not to like about that?

Unlike you guys I didnt come on here to bash so I will let people form your own opinions about the 4th guy I did not mention....

JT Snowden...

I believe its only your opinion to say Norcal has good baseball people (not coaches) in charge of their teams. We played a ton of tournaments/games at the 16u level and I have to say the NorCal Fresh/14u team was a very well coached team who played the game right.I also know that in every organization there will be some great and no so great coached running teams. So in your opinion who has the best "player development team" out there?

JT Edward Snowden: What a not so great job with you're first so called Rookie Post in once again belittling people like the four mentioned along with Coach Tired of This. If you really "knew" TOT - you would not have lumped him in with your other thoughts.

We all know you've been here before but you cannot bear to use your former board handle. Btw RE Ericks phone number? You live anywhere and attend a Community College or did you not know that. How about the Alou's, Cepedes, Mota's etc that attended Canada Community College back in the day.

How about the many Islanders who play for CCSF football team and reside out on Ocean Ave in SF.

Good luck with post 2-3-4-5

Lost of "new" posters here Douglas!
3dgrin.r191677.gif

These things come up again...and again...and again. I've got so many thoughts on all of this, I can't seem to weave them into a coherent post. So I'll just list (some of) them.

* There are crooks out there. NCSF ain't one of them in my view. His program is well run and well known and it is...what it is...which was good for our 2 sons. He was good to me before any of my kids ever played for him, and he remains good to me years after they played for him. Didn't cost me an arm and an leg. I thought that picture above was kinda funny - but not accurate in this case (I like Erick Raich too BTW). NCSF is welcome in our (Carolina) house anytime.

* You don't like a program? Don't pay for it. Pretty simple.

* tired_of_this is the best dam* HS baseball coach in America. Yessiree. One son played for him. If I woulda had my head screwed on straight, all of my sons woulda played for him. One of the single best experiences (top to bottom) of any of our baseball ones was being a family in his program. Period. If he says somethin', you should consider it. He knows his stuff. He's also a really good person - a dimension that escapes us sometimes. (BTW, so is NCSF).

* Showcases, by and large, are set up to 'showcase' the elite players. Lesser players pay a fee so the better players can be seen. Similar to the minor leagues. (BTW, nearly all...no make that 'all' of NCSF's travel team players are pretty special). That doesn't mean a 'lesser player' should never attend a showcase, just know what you're paying for and what the odds are. Yep, your son may break the odds and get noticed even though he isn't that good in the 'beyond HS' sense.

* Super early commitments come with risk, mostly for the player. I haven't read a viewpoint that contradicts that yet - on any message board or news site. Advantage = college coach. But lemme tell you about a personal experience with 2 sons who both made (not super but) 'early' commitments for their time. Publicizing it isn't the best idea. Look at this thread about one kid - generated a whole freakin' 2-week dialogue. Ok, personal experience - son #1 committed "early" back in 2003. That meant September of senior year - was Stanford's first commit that year (times have changed - huh?). Well, it ended up in newspapers and on message boards and throughout the neighborhood and school. How did it work? Not so good - it only attracted naysayers. Teammate parents rooting against him. "He sucks." "He's not Stanford material." "Big Stanford mistake."

95upandin,

In your rush to jump online and call me a meanie, you forgot to read my post. I understand your need to fly to their defense, but the points made in my previous post are sound. You didn't address any of the points of criticism and you failed to see that I give due credit to NorCal and it's employees. And as for Coach Raich, his high school winning percentage was never in question. I agree with you, the "showcase biz" is definitely NOT PERFECT. In your post you state that NorCal is NOT in the showcase business, but in the same sentence you illustrate that they take teams to SHOWCASE TOURNAMENTS!! Which one is it? Which showcase events are "worthwhile"? Who deems one showcase event better than another? NorCal? College coaches? Scouts? CCB? Trosky? If there is one thing this conversation proves is how muddy the water is for parents that are ready, willing, and able to open their wallets for a chance at a baseball scholarship. What about the kids who CAN'T afford to attend a Trosky event or go to the Junior Fall Classic? Will they be recruited? Are those kids "under the radar" because of their ability, lack of exposure, or their financial situation? But you CANNOT say that NorCal or CCB or Trosky or Clemmons don't profit from the inherent desperation of these families. And let me be clear, I am not against making a profit, what is distressing is the environment in which the profit is made. Like Tired of This stated in a previous post, there is a ponzi scheme being perpetrated by the showcase, travelball, and recruiting industries.

NorCal has had many great players go through their system over the years and I'm sure they all had outstanding experiences because, like I stated before, NorCal strives to hire excellent baseball people to be administrators during the showcase tournaments. I am not commenting on their coaches ability to run a game at a showcase tournament, I'm commenting on the definition of being a coach. So for example, if three "coaches" from NorCal take a 16u team to five tournaments and lose every game, are those "coaches" in jeopardy of being let go? Probably not. If, for example, their clients miss two steal signs, walk the lead off man in 4 out of 7 innings, fail to score a man from 3rd with less than two outs, and overthrow the cut off man, do those administrators bear ANY responsibility? NO! I understand, it's the client's responsibility to perform, but then why shell out thousands of dollars for these services-- for EXPOSURE!! You simply cannot call yourself a coach if you bear no responsibility for what happens on the field, you are an administrator. Whatever positive interactions these administrators have with their clients is not in question here. I have no doubt that each and every employee at NorCal, CCB, Trosky, etc, etc, etc is completely committed to providing each of their clients with a positive and enriching experience. Even more, this is not a commentary of the administrator's baseball knowledge, experience, background, and especially their passion for the game. In fact, the qualifications for being a coach at NorCal is apparently just to be "amazing" (see NorCal website), and I can't argue with that. It's a commentary on the environment that is created to get kids to the next level. It's an environment that can be criticized on every level; from the parents, to the high schools, to JC coaches, to 4yr coaches, to showcase bandits, to tournament directors, to travel ball dads, to fans, etc., everyone bears some responsibility to look at this environment and make it better, including the athletes themselves. But honestly, thegeorgebrettstory, did you sign your kid up with NorCal to get better at the game, or to get exposure? What if your son wasn't good enough or couldn't afford to play for NorCal, you would probably have to find another organization to pay/play for. I'm merely pointing out the differences in terminology. And it's not only my opinion that these organizations have good baseball people, in fact most "coaches" at the high school or college level would agree with the distinction between the two.

And as for my opinion on which organization provides the best player development? It seems to be whatever organization you can afford. When NorCal partners with Jaeger Sports to hold a long toss camp, that is NOT player development, it's commerce. They are selling a product!! And don't be so quick to set NorCal apart from Trosky because Jaeger Sports partners with them as well!! Player development is defined simply as both parties making an investment in the development of said athlete. The entity, school, organization, etc providing the player development has made an investment in the player with the expressed goal of that player adding to the value of the organization. What investment has the travelball industry and showcase industry made in their clients? Does NorCal lose money if their clients don't play at the next level? Does Trosky have to refund the showcase fee if no coaches call after the camp? NO!! So you cannot call it player development.

BKWRDKUROUT: I am a "rookie" poster. At $99.00 per year, I don't need to have different handles. Believe what you want. I didn't realize that this was such an exclusive club. But I can assure you that this is interesting and I'm looking forward to the next few posts...Hopefully I can be as positive and eloquent as ATCSHRK as I move forward.

Snowden,

I am having a difficult time understanding what you're saying. If I have it right, players should only pay for participation on showcase teams if they make it to D1 or pro ball? And families should be refunded their money if they don't?

Great. It would also be cool if doctors refunded fees when their patients died, and colleges gave back tuition when kids got crappy grades or failed to get get good jobs.

And a Jaeger clinic is not development if money changes hands? How would that work otherwise. Pay for the bands only after you don't get an injury?

I certainly think too many spend too much on these teams. I know of families in our area who spend what I think are ridiculous amounts of time commuting and money to play for NorCal or Trosky, and you''re right - many or most will not play after high school. But it's their money, and if they can afford it, there's nothing wrong with pursuing a dream, and nothing wrong with being the best HS player you can be. Just like there's nothing intrinsically wrong with daddy ball team of 15u AA players going to Twin Creeks every week. It beats a lot of other stuff those boys could be up to. Certainly it would be good if there was an easier, cheaper way of getting recruited, but I don't see you offering any kind of reasonable alternative.

Lots of new people getting into the discussion. Can be a little bit of good and a little bit of bad.

I think in the end, you have to control your recruiting process. Talk to former teammates and friends who went through the process. What events worked? What events didn't? Make your list of "dream schools" based on where you can play, academic and social fit. Gather as many opinions as you can as schools, your potential, etc. Baseball is one of the best sports about building that fraternity in the game. Use that resource.

If you don't think an event or team is worth the money, don't participate. The loudest criticism you can levy on someone or something is with your wallet.

Quaffer,

Not what I am saying at all. I am merely commenting on the showcase industry's use of terminology and the way they prey on the desperation of families looking for a scholarship. In fact, these events are a great way for D2 and D3 caliber players to be seen, but who wants to admit that? I defined "player development" clearly in a previous post and I think you can see the distinction between a high school or college coach and a showcase administrator. These are points to consider whether you agree or not. If you want to pay NorCal or Trosky or Jaeger for their services, that is your investment in development, but for them to promote the term without making an investment in any of their "clients", it's basically a discussion in semantics.

And to respond to your metaphor: I surely wouldn't see a doctor that wasn't qualified to practice medicine and you are correct, colleges DO NOT have to give back tuition money if their students get crappy grades, but high school and college coaches do lose their jobs if their players don't play well. Hence the investment in PLAYER DEVELOPMENT! If you, as an individual, want to spend money on these services, go ahead; you will get no further criticism here. And for the most part, the whole showcase experience can be worth while if you use it as a measuring stick for your own development. I think I have even given NorCal, and similar organizations their just due, but you can't think that going to a long toss camp or a Trosky showcase is the x-factor to being recruited. Most of the D1 players are already recognized and noted, so who is the showcase benefitting? Most families are unrealistic about their college choices and lack the necessary knowledge of the process. These services take advantage of that. I agree with Streak One about the strong fraternity. Seek out the people who have direct knowledge, not the services that tout their "college contacts".

And BKWRDKUROUT: thank you for updating me on the terms and conditions.

I think I can introduce an "olive branch" to this topic as most of you seem to think I am being negative or "picking on" these services:

There has been one by-product that I have experienced going from showcase to tournament to workout to event that might make it all worth while: quality time in the car with fathers (and mothers) and sons.

And none of these services can take credit for that.

That's real "player development".

Torkelson just hit his 7th bomb today against Okie St. ASU freshen record is 11 by Bonds.

http://www.statepress.com/article/2018/02/spsports-asu-baseball-spencer-tolkerson-power-hitter

You can kiss that rookie HR record goodbye. He's at 10 now.

Interesting to read this thread again after a few years.

Rob Bruno and I look pretty smart! Spenny is an absolute beast at the next level and I am not surprised one bit. I'm sure Rob isn't either.

Pretty damn cool.

What is even cooler is that another North Bay League kid, Andrew Vaughn, is in a HR leader race with Torkelson right now with 11, and is being talked about by some as the best hitter in the country.

Reactions: bella123
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT