ADVERTISEMENT

Bellarmine vs. Folsom Poll

Bellarmine vs. Folsom. Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
No true. Teams play 5 in the box v simple spread all the time. Even with a back in the Backfield. And like I said. Folsom will wildcat you out of Empty all night. It's called fly motion. Ever see a team fake he fly sweep out of empty and zone read a def end? Well you're about to on Friday. Even with - back its 6 on 6 and Bells will have trouble keeping the avg run under 5 yards.
SFL homer, it's called the fly sweep. St. Francis ran it for years and Janda is keen to covering it. Folsom outweighed De La Salle's lines by a bunch too and you saw how that worked out. Blocking schemes and initial contact will be important in making holes for Bells.

Teams play 5 in the box v simple spread all the time

Sure some teams do but Bellarmine runs a 3-5-3. Primary coverage is cover 3 which would leave atleast 6 in box. Simple defensive scheme. Only time they go 2 high is when they are in a prevent style defense. The way you are talking Folsom shouldnt even have to throw the ball friday night. Ill be shocked if Bellarmine even gets a first down. Its going to be total domination.

Why not. It's a high school football game and Folsom isn't DLS - not close. Not even on the line.
And Bellermine is not Folsom. Not even close. Not even at the skill positions.

Let's keep the passive aggressive stuff to a minimum. I have enjoyed the Bells play this year. Apparently they're fans don't enjoy being the underdogs.

God bless.

SFL homer, it's called the fly sweep. St. Francis ran it for years and Janda is keen to covering it. Folsom outweighed De La Salle's lines by a bunch too and you saw how that worked out. Blocking schemes and initial contact will be important in making holes for Bells.
Adam916- will you be a Folsom fan after tonight? (Insert my passive aggressive taking a stab voice here).

God bless. And go SFL!

Adam916- will you be a Folsom fan after tonight? (Insert my passive aggressive taking a stab voice here).

God bless. And go SFL!
RP! I'm a total Folsom fan, amen for Folsom--they make Northern CA football better. Aren't you excited we've finally arrived to today's game? I'm so excited I went to bed wearing eye black.

Reactions: CaliTrojan4Life
RP! I'm a total Folsom fan, amen for Folsom--they make Northern CA football better. Aren't you excited we've finally arrived to today's game? I'm so excited I went to bed wearing eye black.
Haha good thing. Tonight will be fun. Very fun.

God bless.

Today is the day where the WCAL flexes it's muscles against the SFL! Can't wait! And I also can't wait to see how quiet this board is after the upset is pulled off!
Tonight is the night where all the WCAL Homers bow down to the SFL as the greatest league in Norcal.

Just don't leave after the game. This could get fun.

God bless. And go SFL!

Tonight is the night where all the WCAL Homers bow down to the SFL as the greatest league in Norcal.

God bless. And go SFL!
And come on weather, keep getting ugly!!

God bless. And go SFL!

So if the SFL has the best team between the two leagues that makes them the best league? Its a good thing DLS doesnt play in the EBAL anymore because then we would all have to bow down to the EBAL. I dont think any of the non SFL homers will have an issue bowing down to Folsom. Majority of us have picked them to win anyway.

So if the SFL has the best team between the two leagues that makes them the best league? Its a good thing DLS doesnt play in the EBAL anymore because then we would all have to bow down to the EBAL. I dont think any of the non SFL homers will have an issue bowing down to Folsom. Majority of us have picked them to win anyway.
It makes them the best team from top to bottom. Absolutely.

God bless.

Agree. It doesnt make or prove the SFL is a better league than WCAL though.
Not that single game. No. But it is my belief and that of many others, that the SFL is a better league than the WCAL. I really don't think it's close.

God bless.

And Bellermine is not Folsom. Not even close. Not even at the skill positions.

Let's keep the passive aggressive stuff to a minimum. I have enjoyed the Bells play this year. Apparently they're fans don't enjoy being the underdogs.

God bless.
Actually I'm not a Bells football fan (although have nothing against them and like how many of the kids on their team play the game - I like many of the players on the Folsom team although in some instances haven't been a fan of their coach). In this case, I'm a fan of the Bell's section but also nothing against SJS. As mentioned, even though the Bells are underdogs (which I have stated), I believe the game should be relatively close and potential for upset. I think Folsom is a top 10 type team in the state (next tier after the top 3), but there is a big drop off in level of play from the top 3 (DLS, Centenial and SJB), and due to this wouldn't be a big upset for teams in Bell's level to defeat a team that isn't one of the top 3. Tier 2 teams (which Folsom is in as a group) and Tier 3 (Bellarmine this year somewhere in the top 10-15) are relatively close. This Folsom team is a very good team, but again not at the caliber of last season which would probably dominate this game and be a huge favorite. It's not passive aggressive to state my opinion that Folsom's line isn't as good as DLS or rushing attack or team (it is a reference to Folsom isn't a top 3 caliber team). Bellarmine isn't either, but there people on this board that speak of Folsom like it should dominate this game like the Spartan's most likely would. We all know how Folsom fared against the Spartan's. The probability of Bellarmine upsetting a top 3 team is very small, but not a team at Folsom's level. As has been shown in the playoffs, an additional turnover and/or play or two by the other team and this game wouldn't be debated. 10 points or 2 TD margin as some believe is just that- a TO and play or two. Folsom may very well win the war of the trenches which I think they should have an advantage but this game should also be closer than some Folsom fans think. I will be surprised if Folsom dominates this game as far as score, and believe the score will most likely be in the range I mentioned earlier (as in the Elk Grove game).

Actually I'm not a Bells football fan (although have nothing against them and like how many of the kids on their team play the game - I like many of the players on the Folsom team although in some instances haven't been a fan of their coach). In this case, I'm a fan of the Bell's section but also nothing against SJS. As mentioned, even though the Bells are underdogs (which I have stated), I believe the game should be relatively close and potential for upset. I think Folsom is a top 10 type team in the state (next tier after the top 3), but there is a big drop off in level of play from the top 3 (DLS, Centenial and SJB), and due to this wouldn't be a big upset for teams in Bell's level to defeat a team that isn't one of the top 3. Tier 2 teams (which Folsom is in as a group) and Tier 3 (Bellarmine this year somewhere in the top 10-15) are relatively close. This Folsom team is a very good team, but again not at the caliber of last season which would probably dominate this game and be a huge favorite. It's not passive aggressive to state my opinion that Folsom's line isn't as good as DLS or rushing attack or team (it is a reference to Folsom isn't a top 3 caliber team). Bellarmine isn't either, but there people on this board that speak of Folsom like it should dominate this game like the Spartan's most likely would. We all know how Folsom fared against the Spartan's. The probability of Bellarmine upsetting a top 3 team is very small, but not a team at Folsom's level. As has been shown in the playoffs, an additional turnover and/or play or two by the other team and this game wouldn't be debated. 10 points or 2 TD margin as some believe is just that- a TO and play or two. Folsom may very well win the war of the trenches which I think they should have an advantage but this game should also be closer than some Folsom fans think. I will be surprised if Folsom dominates this game as far as score, and believe the score will most likely be in the range I mentioned earlier (as in the Elk Grove game).
There are FOUR references to DLS in a Folsom/Bellarmine thread. That is passive aggressive. If you want the Bells to win or really want Folsom to lose, that is fine. But, at least be honest about it. That write up on the game was nothing short of a passive aggressive post to tear down teams that you don't feel are "top tier." That is not what this is all about. These are two GREAT teams going head to head tonight.

Good luck to everyone tonight.

God bless.

Today is the day where the WCAL flexes it's muscles against the SFL! Can't wait! And I also can't wait to see how quiet this board is after the upset is pulled off!

SFL reigns superior to the WCAL. Bellarmine ain't ready. Folsom by three scores.

I hate to be the wet rag in a trash talking session, but I am as big a "homer" as they come. All this talk of leagues "bowing down" is fun and all, but I will bow to every kid and coach on the field tonight in acknowledgment of a job well done. I am not at all on board with the PC "everyone gets a trophy", but I am appreciative of the time, effort and sacrifices that all the players and coaches make to succeed.

I will be quiet (in comparison to others) win or lose. A simple statement acknowledging the effort given and respect earned doesn't take long to pen and I imagine that's about all I could offer after the game. Strength of league, injuries, refs, weather, long bus rides, D1 talent, speed, strength, even a bad test score at school that day, can all effect the outcome of a HS football game. I won't let the outcome cloud the fact that these 2 teams have EARNED the opportunity to play each other by beating everyone put in front of them, playing under coaches and a system that they had no say in. They showed up, put in the work, did what was asked of them and enjoy the results.

I would expect a GREAT football game. A marked contrast in styles offensively, defensively, even on special teams! As a homer, I am hoping that the end result is a Folsom win. Win or lose, I will be relatively quiet AND will bow down to everyone on the field for the respect that they have earned.

Just to not be a total PC idiot, I will say that as I have watched every Folsom game over the last 8 years I have seen 1 truism in every game;
Folsom wins IF: Opponents # of punts > Folsoms # of INT's & lost fumbles. I know it's not 100% but it's damn close. Every time Folsom gets a defensive stop and a team punts, I think "There's the ball game". And with the '15 team, it has consistently been the 4th qtr when this shows itself. Folsom's depth, conditioning and strength makes them look as if they are getting better as the game goes on. We saw it against CVC to start the season and even more so in the last 2 play-off games. Down 14 @ half against SM and down 7-0 after 2 plays against EG and they kept battling.

I see Bellarmine striking 1st as the Folsom D adjusts to the speed & deception of the double wing, maybe even getting a defensive stop or 2 in the 1st half, could be up at halftime. But I think (hope) that Folsom has been great at making adjustments and finding what works as the game goes on and will do so again tonight.

Prediction (again a hope); Folsom score 2x's in the 4th to pull away with a 42-27 victory after being down at half 14-20.

Safe travels to everyone going to the game and apologies in advance for the parking (If you didn't know, there is a basketball tnmt starting at 4pm through 8:30 and a theater presentation of The Nutcracker starting at 7pm.....it's gonna be PACKED!!)

I believe this game result might only prove what team is better or executes better on this game. If one team dominates the other, it would support the argument that that team is better. Let's say the favorite loses due to poor execution that night in a close battle , it might still be a team that could win 60% of the time they face each other. What is a fact is that the team that wins can claim to be the best team among the leagues and in its division class by virtue of the head to head game and the playoff.

As far as leagues - SFL overall may be/probably a tad stronger than the WCAL this year, but this game doesn't prove which league is stronger than the other. Example, Bells did defeat DelOro. Some SFL fans point to that DelOro is much better now than earlier with win over Rocklin in second match up supporting this opinion, but the same can be said of the Bells. In any event, if you take the top 10 teams from both leagues and rank them in order you will probably have some mix in the order and there would be some very good games among the teams. Some teams would match up better than others, but overall some good games and ones I would like to see.

Reactions: awood1
There are FOUR references to DLS in a Folsom/Bellarmine thread. That is passive aggressive. If you want the Bells to win or really want Folsom to lose, that is fine. But, at least be honest about it. That write up on the game was nothing short of a passive aggressive post to tear down teams that you don't feel are "top tier." That is not what this is all about. These are two GREAT teams going head to head tonight.

God bless.
Pete - you have an odd definition of passive aggressive. In its more demonstrative illustration, "passive aggressive" describes a person who is basically mean-spirited but tries to act docile and non-threatening when being watched by others.

NorCal's description of the tiered powers in CA is the way most objective scouts/analysts will think of power tiers. The only possible way I could see you having trouble with his descriptions is if your truly believed Folsom is within the top three of CA this year and that Norcal is just throwing hidden punches at Folsom fans. In the many years I have read NorCal's posts, I have never seen him carry a figurative hidden dagger.

My take away from NorCal's post is that Folsom is the better team (but second tiered in CA) than BCP who is a third tier team. In his opinion, its easier for a third tier team to upset a second tiered team than it is for a second tier team to upset a top tiered team. Its viewing this game in the light of the entire CA HS football power structure

Last edited:
Reactions: NorCalSportsFan
Pete - you have an odd definition of passive aggressive. In its more demonstrative illustration, "passive aggressive" describes a person who is basically mean-spirited but tries to act docile and non-threatening when being watched by others.

NorCal's description of the tiered powers in CA is the way most objective scouts/analysts will think of power tiers. The only possible way I could see you having trouble with his descriptions is if your truly believed Folsom is within the top three of CA this year and that Norcal is just throwing hidden punches at Folsom fans. In the many years I have read NorCal's posts, I have never seen him carry a figurative hidden dagger.
That is quite possible. Maybe I am reading into it too much.

God bless.

Pete.

I hate to be the wet rag in a trash talking session, but I am as big a "homer" as they come. All this talk of leagues "bowing down" is fun and all, but I will bow to every kid and coach on the field tonight in acknowledgment of a job well done. I am not at all on board with the PC "everyone gets a trophy", but I am appreciative of the time, effort and sacrifices that all the players and coaches make to succeed.

I will be quiet (in comparison to others) win or lose. A simple statement acknowledging the effort given and respect earned doesn't take long to pen and I imagine that's about all I could offer after the game. Strength of league, injuries, refs, weather, long bus rides, D1 talent, speed, strength, even a bad test score at school that day, can all effect the outcome of a HS football game. I won't let the outcome cloud the fact that these 2 teams have EARNED the opportunity to play each other by beating everyone put in front of them, playing under coaches and a system that they had no say in. They showed up, put in the work, did what was asked of them and enjoy the results.

I would expect a GREAT football game. A marked contrast in styles offensively, defensively, even on special teams! As a homer, I am hoping that the end result is a Folsom win. Win or lose, I will be relatively quiet AND will bow down to everyone on the field for the respect that they have earned.

Just to not be a total PC idiot, I will say that as I have watched every Folsom game over the last 8 years I have seen 1 truism in every game;
Folsom wins IF: Opponents # of punts > Folsoms # of INT's & lost fumbles. I know it's not 100% but it's damn close. Every time Folsom gets a defensive stop and a team punts, I think "There's the ball game". And with the '15 team, it has consistently been the 4th qtr when this shows itself. Folsom's depth, conditioning and strength makes them look as if they are getting better as the game goes on. We saw it against CVC to start the season and even more so in the last 2 play-off games. Down 14 @ half against SM and down 7-0 after 2 plays against EG and they kept battling.

I see Bellarmine striking 1st as the Folsom D adjusts to the speed & deception of the double wing, maybe even getting a defensive stop or 2 in the 1st half, could be up at halftime. But I think (hope) that Folsom has been great at making adjustments and finding what works as the game goes on and will do so again tonight.

Prediction (again a hope); Folsom score 2x's in the 4th to pull away with a 42-27 victory after being down at half 14-20.

Safe travels to everyone going to the game and apologies in advance for the parking (If you didn't know, there is a basketball tnmt starting at 4pm through 8:30 and a theater presentation of The Nutcracker starting at 7pm.....it's gonna be PACKED!!)

Great post awood..I couldnt agree more..Im calling Folsom 38-Bells 28

Reactions: RodneyPete45
thehookup55- Will you be at the game my brother?

Pete

I will not be...I will be enjoying the game from my couch 200+ miles away lol. If I had a dog in the fight I would make the trip but I cant justify spending nearly 8 hours in a car just to watch a game in person. Im actually going to be in Sac next week for a business meeting so I missed it by a week.

It's actually beautiful up here now. Nice and clear. Should be nice tonight!

God bless. And good luck to everyone.

Remember- It is just a game.
This game will be like the Ohio State (Bells) vs Oregon (Folsom) National Championship game with a closer score, but the Bells still prevailing! Remember, this is highschool football where anything could happen! Think about all the upsets that have happened in the past in these types of games. This one smells like one. Bells by 3.

Reactions: awood1
I believe this game result might only prove what team is better or executes better on this game. If one team dominates the other, it would support the argument that that team is better. Let's say the favorite loses due to poor execution that night in a close battle , it might still be a team that could win 60% of the time they face each other. What is a fact is that the team that wins can claim to be the best team among the leagues and in its division class by virtue of the head to head game and the playoff.

As far as leagues - SFL overall may be/probably a tad stronger than the WCAL this year, but this game doesn't prove which league is stronger than the other. Example, Bells did defeat DelOro. Some SFL fans point to that DelOro is much better now than earlier with win over Rocklin in second match up supporting this opinion, but the same can be said of the Bells. In any event, if you take the top 10 teams from both leagues and rank them in order you will probably have some mix in the order and there would be some very good games among the teams. Some teams would match up better than others, but overall some good games and ones I would like to see.
I would love to see Saint Francis go against Del Oro instead of Pleasant Valley now. NCSF, how do you think Saint Francis would fair against DO?

God bless.

???? I am actually looking forward to this game. Honest about what? I have clearly stated I am rooting for the section. As you may know, a person can root for a section/team (which means would like a team to win by virtue of them being in a section you follow closely and also not root against a team and hope they lose). I think it should be a great match up to see and I look forward to watching it. This is two very good teams. I am not tearing down either team by stating where I believe they are positioned as far as tier and opinion in comparing lines or skills. Many agree with me in the comparison and if they didn't it is still my opinion. By virtue of not being in the Open playoff, neither team is considered by the selection committee and criteria to be chosen above the ones that were. Both Folsom and Bells are very good teams and excellent programs, not only just football. Both very good schools. If I didn't have other commitments before the game, I might venture to Sac to watch it live but will have to watch the broadcast.

This game will be like the Ohio State (Bells) vs Oregon (Folsom) National Championship game with a closer score, but the Bells still prevailing! Remember, this is highschool football where anything could happen! Think about all the upsets that have happened in the past in these types of games. This one smells like one. Bells by 3.
I still think the Bells will get rolled tonight.

God bless.

SF against Del Oro? Probably a very good game. SF seems like it hasn't been playing as well lately (or at least against Oak Grove which they beat earlier in the season but could be OG is playing at a higher level - they face Clayton Valley tonight) so maybe Del Oro would be slight favorite. Probably a good game. These two teams seem like they would matchup well against each other. Both are physical and balanced on offense. SF has a very good QB as well. SF plays really good defense. It would be a fun matchup

My personal favorite on this thread is when thehookup55 proclaimed that Bellarmine has better athletes at the skill positions.

I honestly thought he was completely drunk when he said this. Honestly.

I get there are homers on both sides. Believe me I get it. But cmon! Let's revisit this after Friday nights game. Can't wait!

God bless.

Pete
The Bells have way better skill position players and team speed. The only difference is the size on the lines but the Bells have not had a problem going up against bigger teams. Folsom is a very good team but its not like they have 5* players at every skill position. Lets be realistic here.

The Bells have way better skill position players and team speed. The only difference is the size on the lines but the Bells have not had a problem going up against bigger teams. Folsom is a very good team but its not like they have 5* players at every skill position. Lets be realistic here.
100 percent false. You cannot run the table in the SFL or SJS without premium skill players. I am not sure where you guy's are getting this.

If you are only throwing a handful of times per game, I am not sure outside skill players play all that big of a factor. Especially against Folsom who will be, by far, the Bells toughest opponent.

God bless.

What is your definition of rolled? 2TDs+, 3TDs+ etc.
Never really in the game would be considered "rolled." The final score sometimes does not always indicate what team dominated and what team didn't. So, tough to say. In my viewings of both teams, I just see Folsom as too physical for the Bells.

BUTTTTTTTT- I also thought the same thing about St. Marys when they came up and played. St. Mary's played their butts off and nearly pulled it off. So, I would agree that anything COULD happen, although I think Folsom runs away with it.

I think it goes both ways for this game. SFL/Folsom homers are not sold on the Bells/WCAL. The Bells/WCAL homers are not sold on the SFL/Folsom. The good news is that this all gets settled tonight.

God bless.

Never really in the game would be considered "rolled." The final score sometimes does not always indicate what team dominated and what team didn't. So, tough to say. In my viewings of both teams, I just see Folsom as too physical for the Bells.

BUTTTTTTTT- I also thought the same thing about St. Marys when they came up and played. St. Mary's played their butts off and nearly pulled it off. So, I would agree that anything COULD happen, although I think Folsom runs away with it.

I think it goes both ways for this game. SFL/Folsom homers are not sold on the Bells/WCAL. The Bells/WCAL homers are not sold on the SFL/Folsom. The good news is that this all gets settled tonight.

God bless.
I am hearing all this talk , but can you provide us a score?

That's reasonable.

I also agree that you really can't say Bells have better athletes. I think both teams have playmakers that can make an impact in their respective offenses. Starting with both having really good QBs (mobile and can throw the ball) that run their offenses really well. Both have skill players that can impact a game that fit their offenses. I think it will hinge on the line play and that will dictate which team can dictate the game. If Bells have success in ball control - the scoring will have a ceiling and would tend to be a closer game. If Bells can't neutralize the Folsom line on both sides, then Folsom will have a huge advantage. Both are very good teams. I like Folsom's offensive style but even though it can be pain staking to watch the Bells offense, they are successful at it. That is one of the interesting parts of this game. Two very different systems on offense and both play really good defense. I look at St Mary's and Elk grove games and it was as if St Mary's had to out score Folsom to have a chance to win it and Elk Grove had to keep control of the ball out of Folsom's offense. I think Bells will have to play more like Elk Grove, but they also have good balance on offense. Are the Bells better than Elk Grove? That would be a good game as well. Folsom turned the ball over against EG and maybe doesn't play its best game, but maybe EG had an impact on that. We will know soon how this game goes. Waiting in great anticipation.

Last edited:
Look forward to it my brother. Will you be attending the game
It was depending on how my work day is and I am slammed today and won't be off until 6:00. I was thinking of coming anyway, but don't want to chance missing any of the action. I will get some good food and a man soda and watch it on the 65 incher tonight!

It was depending on how my work day is and I am slammed today and won't be off until 6:00. I was thinking of coming anyway, but don't want to chance missing any of the action. I will get some good food and a man soda and watch it on the 65 incher tonight!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT