ADVERTISEMENT

Big story to watch in NCS

Streak One

Hall of Famer
Staff
Nov 11, 2003
On the CIF Media Call today, there was talk of the NCS possibly voting in a four team Open Division later this month. It would make sense that would open the door for a non-DLS D1 team to move onto regional plays.

Next vote is at the end of the month.

I like it. DLS, the winners of both the BVAL and EBAL, and 1 at large team.

That at large team could be Logan, a runner up in 1 of those 2 leagues, or a lower division team like Campo or CVC in a strong year.

Does the runner up team then advance even with a loss to DLS, a la the CCS? There would be a major push to get the #2 or #3 seed, as the #4 seed would be the sacrificial lamb.

I'm guessing that the winner of a then watered down D1 playoff would not advance to a NorCal berth?

Also heard that CV was told they will compete in D1 for the playoffs for football in 2016. I wonder if this has anything to do with it.

Also heard that CV was told they will compete in D1 for the playoffs for football in 2016. I wonder if this has anything to do with it.
They weren't told by the CIF that they would be moving up to D1. They petition to move up to D1.

They weren't told by the CIF that they would be moving up to D1. They petition to move up to D1.
Good! So it looks like De La Salle's refusal to schedule them prompted CV to petition "up" for the playoffs in spite of CV's social media tactics. NCS D1 playoffs will be fantastic now. Good luck playing the EBAL, Pittsburg and DLS every year.

Reactions: Bubba3000
On the CIF Media Call today, there was talk of the NCS possibly voting in a four team Open Division later this month. It would make sense that would open the door for a non-DLS D1 team to move onto regional plays.

Next vote is at the end of the month.
Did they elaborate on the logistics? It doesn't sound like a good idea actually because it still doesn't give the NCS a chance to send it's top teams to Norcals. Unless the final two are eligible. I'm reading 2015 would have been like this;

2015 4 Team Open NCS:
DLS
Foothill
Antioch
Clayton

Division 1:
Pitt
Cal
Freedom
James Logan
Etc.

DEVELOPMENT OF AN OPEN DIVISION IN THE SPORTS OF FOOTBALL, GIRLS VOLLEYBALL AND BASKETBALL Proposal Starting with the 2016-2017 school year CIF-North Coast Section will implement Open Division competition in the sports of girls’ volleyball, football and boys and girls basketball. The following are the procedures for selection, bracketing, competition dates etc.:
1. Open Division competition will be implemented starting with the 2016-2017 school year.
2. Open Division competition will be conducted in girls’ volleyball, football and boys and girls basketball.
3. In each sport in addition to the approved divisions of competition a four-team open division bracket will be developed. The brackets will be developed as follows:
a. Each Open Division will be limited to four teams;
b. The appointed NCS At-Large and Seeding Committee, prior to development of any of other division brackets, selects the top four most competitive teams within CIF-North Coast Section based on the currently established at-large and seeding criteria. c. The Open Division Bracket will be pure seeded with #1 vs. #4 and #2 vs. #3.
d. Assignment of games will be according to the same established policy used in other brackets and approved by the NCS Board of Managers.
e. Competition will be conducted as follows:
i. On the quarterfinal and final round competition dates of a 24 team bracket.
ii. On the 2nd round and final round competition dates of any 12 or 16-team bracket
iii. On the semifinal and final round competition dates of any eight team bracket. 4. Any team selected to the Open Division bracket shall have the right to displace any originally assigned division champion for purposes of qualifying to the State CIF Championships. The following will also apply:
a. If the CIF State or Nor-Cal competition has an open division only teams from the Section Open Division Championship will be eligible to participate.
b. If the CIF State or Nor-Cal competition only allows one open entry, or allows more than one open entry but not all Section open entries have an opportunity to participate I the CIF State or Nor-Cal Open Division the Section Open Division team is allowed to replace the originally assigned division champion for purposes of qualifying to the State CIF Championships. Any original division qualifiers who are allowed to proceed as entries to the CIF State or Nor-Cal Championships qualify in order of finish, or by seed if the team does not advance beyond the semifinals or quarterfinals. c. If the CIF State or Nor-Cal competition allows for multiple entries then the Open Division teams are ranked and will be allowed to replace the originally assigned division championship, runner-up, semifinalist or quarterfinalist. Any original division qualifiers who are allowed to proceed as entries to the CIF State or Nor-Cal Championships qualify in order of finish, or by seed

Also a 45 page competitive equity proposal, here's the gist...

DIVISIONS BASED ON COMPETITIVE EQUITY Proposal Starting with the 2016-2017 school year implement competition divisions based on competitive equity in the sports of girls’ volleyball, football, water polo, basketball, baseball, softball and lacrosse. The following are the parameters to be used in development of divisions based on competitive equity:
1. Competitive equity adjustments will be based on the most recent five to three-year period of competition in the NCS Championships. Competitive equity adjustments for the 2016-2017 school year will include the 2011-2012, 2012-2013, 2013-2014, 2014-2015, 2015-16 school years, depending on the number of years to be used.
a. In subsequent years a new year is added and the oldest year of competitive data is removed.
2. Any team averaging 8.0 or higher during the five to three-year period of competition in the NCS Championships using the following scale would be required to move to the next higher division.
a. 15 points for winning a section championship
b. 10 points for playing in the section championship contest
c. 6 points for playing in a semifinal game
d. 3 point for playing in a quarterfinal game
e. 1 point for entering the section championships as a champion or at-large team.
3. All teams promoted based on number two will be locked into the higher division. 4. No team will move more than one division from the previous year’s divisional assignment to the current year’s divisional assignment.
5. Once promoted, points from a lower division will not be considered in a subsequent promotion.
6. Once promoted, teams will leave the promoted division if they have less than 8 points earned in all divisions in the last five to three years.
7. When a team is required to move to a higher division another team is in the higher division is moved down to the next lower division. The criteria to determine which team(s) to move down to the next lower division will be as follows:
a. The school in the higher division with the lowest point total under number two above will be moved one division lower.
b. If there are teams tied with the lowest point total the tie will be broken by the enrollment number of the school. The school with the lowest point total and smallest enrollment would be moved to the next lower division.
8. Petitioning will be allowed to a higher division. The petitioning process will be conducted according to the dates established by the Board of Managers. Petitioning process for the 2016- 2017 school year would be as follows:
a. March 1-31, 2016 – Fall Petitions are due to the NCS Office no later than March 31, 2016
b. October 1-31, 2016 – Winter Petitions are due to the NCS Office no later than October 31, 2016
c. January 2 – 31, 2017 – Spring Petitions due to the NCS Office no later than January 31, 2017.
9. When a team petitions to a higher division another team in the higher division is moved down to the next lower division to maintain balance within the division. The criteria to determine which team(s) to move will be as follows:
a. The school in the higher division with the lowest point total under number seven above will be moved one division lower.
b. If there are teams tied with the lowest point total the tie will be broken by the enrollment number of the school. The school with the lowest point total and smallest enrollment would be moved to the next lower division.

Did they elaborate on the logistics? It doesn't sound like a good idea actually because it still doesn't give the NCS a chance to send it's top teams to Norcals. Unless the final two are eligible. I'm reading 2015 would have been like this;

2015 4 Team Open NCS:
DLS
Foothill
Antioch
Clayton

Division 1:
Pitt
Cal
Freedom
James Logan
Etc.

I know this may sound weird but wouldn't it make sense for the 4 team open NCS to be DLS and the three lowest seeds from NCS D1? That way the best NCS D1 teams not named DLS would fight it out for a chance to go to state?

I know this may sound weird but wouldn't it make sense for the 4 team open NCS to be DLS and the three lowest seeds from NCS D1? That way the best NCS D1 teams not named DLS would fight it out for a chance to go to state?

If we did that why not just give DLS the free pass to state? I understand that there's a 90%+ chance every year DLS will win NCS, but why have them play anyone if you're just going to feed them the lowest 3 seeds?

Reactions: Bubba3000
If we did that why not just give DLS the free pass to state? I understand that there's a 90%+ chance every year DLS will win NCS, but why have them play anyone if you're just going to feed them the lowest 3 seeds?

Good point I would be fine with the free pass cause year in and year out they are light years ahead of the rest if Nor Cal teams not just NCS

This will reduce the number of games for DLS to just 12 before the state Open championship.
They should be well rested and no longer worried about playing too many games in a season.

Thanks MshNASTY.

I got a headache trying to read that, but does that allow a team like say Foothill this year to move on to a NorCal game? The Open runner up to DLS.

If I am comprehending this new format:
-Very successful teams will be forced up a division
-Open teams may lose in the playoffs and force out a lower division champ for Regionals (following the lovely idea started by the CCS)

This will reduce the number of games for DLS to just 12 before the state Open championship.
They should be well rested and no longer worried about playing too many games in a season.

To me the biggest negative of giving DLS the free pass is how fair is that to whoever their southern section opponent is that had to play at least a couple of tough playoff games to reach the state title game?

To me the biggest negative of giving DLS the free pass is how fair is that to whoever their southern section opponent is that had to play at least a couple of tough playoff games to reach the state title game?

DLS lack of tough playoff games is a negative for the Spartans heading into the Bowl game.

So, is this all because of DLS? Agree with Bubba's free pass comment. NorCal has the Pac 1 -- when will the Pac 5 happen? When teams figure out how to change within, not the rules....because it's doubtful a DLS polymerase chain reaction will occur.

Probably true but nothing like getting your best players a little rest that time of year

Funny thing is if you look at the PAC 5 champs they typically only play one, maybe two competitive playoff games. They are very well rested coming into the Open game as well.

Funny thing is if you look at the PAC 5 champs they typically only play one, maybe two competitive playoff games. They are very well rested coming into the Open game as well.

As opposed to no truly competitive games in Nor Cal for DLS...........

As opposed to no truly competitive games in Nor Cal for DLS...........

CIF got rid of the Regional game which was a big mistake.

Bottom line, at a minimum the PAC 5 champ is hardly at a disadvantage and probably is more ready to play that game than DLS is.

Good! So it looks like De La Salle's refusal to schedule them prompted CV to petition "up" for the playoffs in spite of CV's social media tactics. NCS D1 playoffs will be fantastic now. Good luck playing the EBAL, Pittsburg and DLS every year.

Probably more like once DLS kids started to respond telling them to move up if they wanted to play the coaches were left no choice. Little stunt sort of backfired really because now the cake walk to that state title game is gone. And credibility is lost with players if coaches don't move up to play since they are telling kids to call out DLS.

Why not turn OPEN into a State division. Its not like No Cal and So Cal are two different states (arguable ...LOL) So make open a 4 team bracket... so it would have been DLS Centenial, maybe Bosco and someone else.

I like this NCS proposal. As far a state, they should have at least 4 teams (2 norcal and 2 socal) vye for the Open Title.

Frankly I think there is just to many state champions period. It's like everyone gets a participation medal these days. All the extra bowl games at different venues all over the state is lame, in my opinion. If 5 games are played at the big boy stadium and televised then have 5 titles, stop the soccer mom participation games and trophies.

Frankly I think there is just to many state champions period. It's like everyone gets a participation medal these days. All the extra bowl games at different venues all over the state is lame, in my opinion. If 5 games are played at the big boy stadium and televised then have 5 titles, stop the soccer mom participation games and trophies.
I'm with Indianpride45.....five titles and five games for the state...Let all the area's fight it out, but only five games are the goal.....Just a thought, as much as I like having these games on TV, it also hurts the gate receipts...I seems that the crowds at the playoff's should a lot more then they are....,.If you go to Texas or the east coast, playoff games draw huge crowds.....Several years ago, I had to do some business in Bakersfield and that Friday night, Bakersfield was hosting a Fresno team.....the Bakersfield stands were jam packed and about 30 minutes before the game, 10 buses rolled in plus a van for the band and a convoy of cars and pickups that covered the 100 miles to watch and support the Fresno team...this also took place a couple of years ago when the Redding team came down to play Manteca in Stockton...talk about support....

FYI, both the Open Division and the Competitive Equity passed and will be implemented for next year. Per Phil Jensen's article:

"Teams that will move up in divisions include Clayton Valley Charter football (to Division I), Campolindo football (to Division 2), Bishop O'Dowd's basketball teams (to Division 2), and El Cerrito's and Newark Memorial's boys basketball teams (to Division 1)."

I've been hearing that a "no helmets" in summer competition rule is being passed in the NCS, can anybody elaborate on it? I'm hazy on what exactly the rule is. Basically no helmets in team camps or 7 on 7 until late July I'm told. I can't imagine NCS would take helmets out of the equation in 7 on 7 and think it's to improve player safety.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT