ADVERTISEMENT

Brackets are out, tanks, but no tanks

Ol' Brick Layer

Superstar
Nov 16, 2014
Congratulations to the NorCal Open selections. Looks like the committee got it right, but I am surprised that SMB was selected, and a 5 seed at that. I guess the selection committee saw right thru all the tanking that went on this past week, except of course for Brookside (lighten up I'm only kidding).

I'm looking forward to watching more great girls high school basketball. No more predictions from me. It's very clear why I always return from Vegas with empty pockets, but I am always interested in hearing what the "experts" have to say.

If they saw through the "tanking" this weekend, how does SMB get in and Carondelet and others who the pundits claimed were shoe-ins, get left out?
I don't see this as the best 8 NorCal has to offer
Modesto Christian gets extremely royally screwed in this one....
Should be a very interesting run moving forward.

I don't think anyone one saw the SMB selection coming. And yes, MC got hosed, but anyone getting the 8 seed opposite SMS is unfortunate.

Precipitous fall for the likes of C-let, but they didn't look very good in their 2 point loss yesterday. Also, surprising Vanden or Eastside didn't get the nod before SMB.

Yes, MC got shafted. They should have tanked, just joking here. ESP should have been in.

Wow!!! Who is 8th Seed?
This post was edited on 3/8 4:55 PM by jbvilla

@ol' brick layer

Allegedly the wins over Vanden and Eastside got SMB in
Didn't see Caromdelet not getting in at all
If this is really the top 8 NorCal has to offer then I'm all for it

Biggest scr*w job in all the brackets goes to Berkeley and Lincoln of Stockton who have to face each other in the first round of the D1 playoffs. They seeded Lincoln #14 when despite the fact that they beat four of the higher ranked teams in their bracket by at least 20+ points a piece. Of course they didn't make the final four in their end of the SJ D1 playoffs but that was the Bracket with SMS. They lost to Davis in OT. Some of the teams in D1 look pretty weak and yet they match up two of the better teams against each other in the first round.

Fallensoul6---- I am sure you are right but that one just jumped out at me, especially since they are teams I am more familiar with. I am aware that as Lincoln did not make the final four they couldn't be given a home game, but they are decidedly better than a lot of the teams ranked ahead of them. Not good for Berkeley as well since it will be a tough first round game.

No one at Carondelet is upset not being in the open, be real with yourself. Teams play for state titles, not 4,5,6,7,8 seeds in an open division. It's ridiculous teams like Vanden, C Let , Mitty , Brookside get rewarded with easier roads for losing. The system is flawed .

ON A SIDE NOTE BIG UPS TO Saint Mary's Stockton, Sacred Heart Cathedral , Miramonte, and Saint Marys Berkeley for going to the open All 3 years of its existence. It says al lot about those programs.

snacks5

That's good and dandy to make in the Open for 3 years straight but to win it is another thing all together. So far BOD and Salesian the only to represent Norcal and BOD the only State Champions but I think that might change this year with SMS but it wont be a easy road.

Lets talk about Vanden a little. The reason why they wasn't invite to the Open because this was their first Section Championship and they haven't won a State championship. They have a good chance this year to win D3 State Championship.

Hey Snacks, everyone at C-let is upset about losing yesterday. There are those that settle for less than the best, but I try not to travel in those circles. Get real yourself.

You said it right ol brick layer
They are upset about losing yesterday
What snacks said may be pretty accurate.
Yea mad about the loss. I don't see or hear (yes I've talked to some folks)
carondelet being too mad about not being in the open... Road to state, right?

The Open system is beyond flawed. It wasn't right its first two years of inception
It's definitey not right this year.

According to Cal Hi 11 teams in NorCal ranked in the top 20 in the state
4 of those teams will be in their respective divisions (Vanden Eastside Carondelet BOD)

If the open gets the best of the best in the state, I have yet to see it...

Baller Dreams you're hilarious. W o w is all I have to say. You talk a good game but really in the end you're really funny.

Snacks, correction only St. Marys Stockton, St. Mary's Berkeley and Miramonte have been in the CIF Open Championships all three years. SHC lost in the d3 State title game 2 years ago.

These selections and seeding are super crazy! SI lost 3 strait got a 6 seed and really placed on the easier side of the bracket! They should have got the 8th seed and been playing SMS. SI will beat Salesian and MM and will be playing in the finals against SHC. SMB doesn't have enough for SHC and SMS only beat SHC by 6 in the pre-season. That game being a home game for them is going to be a huge benefit to them. As a #1 seed how do you get placed in a bracket against the hottest team playing right now, SHC.

CityBoy415

I see Salesian beat SI because they have problems with quickness and especial at the guard spot. Just like SHC beat SI by their quickness and Salesian going to pressure full court and that going to be a problem. SMS and SHC will be a good again but I say SMS wins by 10 or less. But that my opinion. Even match with speed but DeCosta will be a little to much down low. I think Salesian is the sleeper in the Open this year because they are bad match up for most teams. I just have the gut feeling.

Didn't say anything about not wanting to win... I said you are fooling yourself if you think we the people don't think Carondelet has no problem playing in division 2. Just like SMB, SI, Salesian, Modesto, SHC, probably WISH THEY WERE PLAYING in their divisions too. Don't get sensitive because I said what everyone knows. Playing the best is 1 thing , having a shot at state title doesn't come everyday. It's not a knock on Carondelet it's just reality. If Carondelet wins state they will celebrate like its Defemeber 31st, 1999; they will not be saying how they should have been the 7th seed in the open. Trust me I'm being REAL

Ballersdreams

Idk about that one. SHC just has SI's number. They have beat them 13 of the last 15 times. SI beat a very good Chaminade team this year who also pressed them but couldn't turn them over enough. I don't think Salesian has enough inside to beat SI. DeCosta will get hers because she's the most athletic post in NorCal. If SHC can slow down their pg and the other wing they have who goes strong to her right side every time they have more than a shot. I'm looking at more less SMS not having played anyone recently and SHC has played top 20 teams the last month and beat them all. SI, Mitty, Pinewood, Scotts Valley, St. Francis....they are playing really well at the right time and not the same team that SMS seen early in the pre-season. On the flip side I don't think SMS has had tough enough games to get them better at the tail end of the season. 11pt win against Mclatchy?

snacks5

If Carondelet was in the open they would have used the excuse like everyone in the Open if they lost the would have won State in their division. Now they have a chance to prove that point and it they don't then they didn't belong.

CityBoy415

I think SJS has a chance to win 4 out 6 State champions.

OPEN SMS(SJS)
D1 McClatchy(SJS)
D2 Mitty(CCS) they have to get by Kimball(SJS) or Antelope(SJS)
D3 Vanden (SJS)
D4 Brookside(SJS) or Bradshaw(SJS)
D5 ESCP(CCS)

That's Just My Opinion About The State Championships

Salesian ain't anything special...

I attended the Mitty blowout of Salesian by 20 points early this season. Salesian has no inside presence and the Monarch guards were not that fast but had negligible trouble with the Richmond backcourt .
Pinewood got screwed by being pegged as the @ #7 seed at #2 Miramonte, again. How anyone could put Salesian or SMB over Pinewood is beyond me. Pinewood defeated Carondolet by 14 in Concord.

Snacks, you seem reasonable enough. I'm sure you can understand that by the mere example of their 26-2 record leading into the NCS championship, C-let had their sights set on the Open. Of course, that didn't happen, so now goals will be adjusted. It's pretty transparent what they were after. Now you go for the next best thing. And of course if you realize your new goal, who wouldn't be happy. It's all pretty simple.

I totally get it OL , And that's the correct way to approach it. Still don't see how at 26-3 you aren't in the open. But best of luck to the Cougars.

Tight wad NORCALS Isn't always exactly seeded by numbers , but more so match ups. SMS v Modesto is seeded, but the MM v Pinewood isn't, nor is the SI v SALESIAN. PWood would have been a 3 had they not lost, so they match them at 7 with MM, SALESIAN won their section so deserve the home game, but SI body of work was worthy of a 3 seed so they match them. 4 5 game with SHC & SMB is seeded because they are the two wild card teams, both can beat most any team, and could also lose to anyone. (the two teams with the most losses in open) so they duke it out and because of their inconsistency they play the winner of SMS v Modesto. It's not who's resume is the best cause it would have been seeded totally different. They want the best match ups. They selling tickets here.

Re: Salesian ain't anything special...

I attended the Mitty blowout of Salesian by 20 points early this season. Salesian has no inside presence and the Monarch guards were not that fast but had negligible trouble with the Richmond backcourt .
Pinewood got screwed by being pegged as the @ #7 seed at #2 Miramonte, again. How anyone could put Salesian or SMB over Pinewood is beyond me. Pinewood defeated Carondolet by 14 in Concord.

- Indeed! Salesian( #3) loss to Mitty by 20 points, loss to Brookside by 9, beat Mclatchy by 1 which Pinewood beat them by 23 pts!

SI ( #6) fourth placer at CCS open, beat by SHC twice, loss to ESCP( which pinewood beats 3 times this year)

Pinewood( #7 ) 2nd placer at CCS, win vs SHC by 13 last December,

Pinewood got duped!

Good job CIF or whoever do this rankings!

CIF has their own type of ranking each year the have they reason why they do things they do. Each year it will be different. This year I think Modesto Christian got the short end of the stick because the won their section. I think the Pinewood and SMB was a toss up between 6th and 7th seed because they lost their Section champions. SI got the best deal for seeding they should have been the 8th seed and MC the 5th seed. I guess the want to stop the run that Modesto was having these last to years but not count them out its not over until the clock runs out.

Let's not confuse SJS Division 2 with the CCS Open Division. It's much easier to win an enrollment division in any section than it is to win the CCS Open. So saying that Modesto Christian should have been seeded above SI and Pinewood because they won their enrollment division just shows that you aren't very bright. But I guess we already knew that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT