ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching Changes Going into 2019

You mean basically grab sacramento talent? How does a school do that overnight after years of having the same D5 caliber talent?

It wasn't over night. They've been good for a while. They blew through the D5 bracket in 2016 before Taylor got there. They were upset by Bear River in in the first round of the playoffs in 2015 and 2017. Outside of the QB from Oak Ridge this year, who left because he wasn't going to get to play there over Jenner, this was essentially the same team as last year.

Christian Brothers can be a tough job especially with Capital moving up in Football.

Interested in seeing what type of candidates they get
CB should study easily be Serra Gardena!
or across the freeway to CC ,

To me CBS is in the best location for sac talent . That area is just loaded with talent . easy for me to say thou on the outside looking in .

Very true! If the administration hires the right person, things could get very interesting! CBS should go get Doughtery. CBS could easily replicate what Serra Gardena does. Its location (easy to get to and from) and academics are attractive to families in N Sac, S. Sac, and Elk Grove.

It wasn't over night. They've been good for a while. They blew through the D5 bracket in 2016 before Taylor got there. They were upset by Bear River in in the first round of the playoffs in 2015 and 2017. Outside of the QB from Oak Ridge this year, who left because he wasn't going to get to play there over Jenner, this was essentially the same team as last year.
This is right around the time that Ross showed up on campus...

Of course CB could also just do exactly what CC has done to get good and also effect CC at the same time. If CBS hires the right guy Jesuit could be the 3rd wheel for Parochials in Sac.

CBS is way behind in the arms race by facilites though. Both Jesuit and CC have shown they are willing to spend on facilities to attract familes and top athletes. Jesuit has huge booster to back them, CC has the church and thier #1 priority is to become the best FB program in the nation. Where does CBS want to fit in at the end of the day?

Indeed! CB is sitting in a great position.

Hi diddly ho neighborinos!

I'm new to California and was curious how competitive football jobs are in the Bay/Sacramento Area.

I am an educator who has a winning background as a varsity head coach.

Appreciate any feedback. Have a Happy New Year!

Folsom is hiring, they're a top 25 team nationally. Let me know how that goes.

404-Bad-Santa-quotes.gif

So who is taking over at Folsom? Will there be an Exodus at Folsom? Jus wanting to know...

Word at Big Poco's Donut & Dog foodtruck is that coach Meyer was seen talking with Browning after the game. Hear that Urban was looking for a less pressure, warmer climate position.

Any word from the Bulldog-Sybil Booster(s)?

Last edited:
Word at Big Poco's Donut & Dog foodtruck is that coach Meyer was seen talking with Browning after the game. Hear that Urban was looking for a less pressure, warmer climate position.

Any word from the Bulldog-Sybil Booster(s)?
LMAO.....with all the changes I think we have seen the last of SYBIL.....

Reactions: THEOC89
So what happens to Cordova now since the Coaches from Folsom are leaving? who takes over at Folsom? Will the run the same play book?

What is the issue with Berkeley? Seems like they have the setup to be better in a lot of sports than they are. Is it an administration issue?

Reactions: nostancenochance
Stowers resigned from Woodcreek.

Wonder if the admin will ever care about football?

Last edited:
Feels like the more enlightened communities in this enlightened state are trying to drive out football, or at least neuter it.

Don't feel it's as much an isssue of enlighted community as it is of "having a lot on one's plate" issue. BHS has 16 boys' sports teams including varsity, jv and frosh teams. On top of the 16 sports teams is competiiton with numerous sports' clubs such as rugby, sailing, mountain biking, karate, etc, etc many of which participate in competitve programs. A pretty big candy jar with a lot of arms jammed inside.

Don't feel it's as much an isssue of enlighted community as it is of "having a lot on one's plate" issue. BHS has 16 boys' sports teams including varsity, jv and frosh teams. On top of the 16 sports teams is competiiton with numerous sports' clubs such as rugby, sailing, mountain biking, karate, etc, etc many of which participate in competitve programs. A pretty big candy jar with a lot of arms jammed inside.

It’s a lot for every school but by comparison, pretty sure the school my kids attend has 24 (15 boys) sports programs not to mention a band that is nationally known along with JV and freshman teams in most of those sports along with dance, theatre, a farm.....and it’s in a sleepy little cow town with only 1750 students and just not having the same issues.

It might be that they have their hands full but don’t most public’s these days?

There is no excuse for Berkeley not being a power. The only reason is a lack of support from the admin and an AD who is cashing checks for doing zero, she should not be in that position.

Sleepy little cow town with players from 3 counties?

three cities (Rocklin, Roseville, and Lincoln) for sure but what kids do you know who attend that live outside South Placer County? Still a cow town regardless.

Not sure why you gave this dumb response, you asked the question and Folsom is hiring.
Its fairly competitive but certainly helps if you have ability to work on campus. Not sure why he threw Folsom out there, as they are not going to go too far outside of area to hire a coach. If they did it wouldnt be random it would be a clear search for a particular individual.

three cities (Rocklin, Roseville, and Lincoln) for sure but what kids do you know who attend that live outside South Placer County? Still a cow town regardless.

It is well known the QB a few years ago was an Antelope kid...Grant kids...Colfax....it is no big secret much of the success was attributed to players not from Loomis.....not worth debating...

Reactions: coachlittle
Maria Carrillo and College Park are up on Edjoin.

The whole Berkeley High thing isn't really a surprise. When you have not had a strong program for a while, kids get recruited or move to other programs. And then you are left with the rest of the bunch. but i never thought i would see Berkeley High go 0-10.

there is also always a lot of blame on administrators, but it's hard for me to believe that administrators purposely want to see their programs in shambles. And of all the things school administrators have on their plate, do we really think they affect their programs on a day to day level?

To me it's way more about coaching. Do you have the right coach that understands how to develop a program? Is the program headed in the right direction and do the kids buy in? if kids bought in, there would be progress and movement forward. sometimes i see coaches trying to execute these fancy offenses and defenses when they should just be scaling back.

Reactions: concrete17
I agree with you, I don;t understand why a school like Berkeley does not have an outstanding football program. I can see having a few down years, but I dont think they have been relevant since Alonzo Carter was the HC. I see a transition of better quality football being played in Sac-Jaq, and Contra Costa County. Even some of the EBAL schools which were staples in the HS football scene have fallen off. The excuse I constantly hear is the demographics, and cost of living. I agree with that in some capacities, but the bottom line is, is if you have a dynamic coach, that inspires kids to want to come and play, you will experience success regardless of the environment. I hope teams like San Leandro, Logan, Encinal, and Berkeley can bring some sort of respect back to teams on the 880 corridor. Starts with bringing in the right person with a vision.

Reactions: concrete17
Agree you need right coach but if administration not in your corner, it doesnt matter if you have Bill Bellichik!! I have heard the Berkely administration puts no emphasis on athletics. It doesnt show as much as in football, as you know many moving parts to a football program. If those other parts arent on same page it will continue to fail

It is well known the QB a few years ago was an Antelope kid...Grant kids...Colfax....it is no big secret much of the success was attributed to players not from Loomis.....not worth debating...

Oh, I got you now. Yea, Stone Smartt was from Antelope for sure. He’s playing for Old Dominion next season, heck of a kid, straight A student and he’s 6’ 5” now.

The Grant kid went back to Grant and then quickly transferred to Rocklin (still there), never played much for DO.

Colfax & Placer kids can’t transfer into DO anymore, but they used to for sure. Placer County.

We still have cows, horses, chickens, goats and pigs in Loomis though!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT