ADVERTISEMENT

De La Salle beats San Ramon Valley 49-14

Streak One

Hall of Famer
Staff
Nov 11, 2003
De La Salle got three interception returns for scores, including two from Tevian Marshall, and were good enough on offense to get a running clock win over San Ramon Valley, which came in at 9-0.

The Wolves had some moments on offense, but could never get the passing game going and missed tackles negated some well read plays by the defense.

I still see them as an Open Division level team, but not on the same level as Monte Vista from a year ago in terms of comparing EBAL teams.

Streak I'd agree that 21-points on 3 INT's were huge in the DLS blowout of SRV. You mentioned Monte Vista from last season 2016 whom I followed all season last year. Based upon the schedules and wins this season's SRV actually looks to be the better of the 2 teams. 2016 Monte Vista who went 12-1 had 7 games against very low ranked teams in rolling up an impressive record before the 45-17 loss to DLS. I'd thought the same might happen with this DLS-SRV game and the scores were very close: DLS 45-17 last season vs Monte Vista and 49-14 last nite vs SRV with running clock and a SRV TD in closing minutes. The only way fans can get a better read on such teams is if they schedule an early season higher ranked team instead of playing the same teams annually within their own locale so to speak [or put DLS on the schedule a bit earlier]. I think fans would also like to see games such as SRV or Monte Vista vs St. Francis, Serra or Valley Christian.

So far this season besides DLS I've been very impressed with Pitt.

Reactions: concrete17
SRV defense gave up 21 & played well overall. If they can clean up the 3 INT scores, they can make a tight game out of it. They still get into the Open at 3 given their resume.

Reactions: concrete17
SRV defense gave up 21 & played well overall. If they can clean up the 3 INT scores, they can make a tight game out of it. They still get into the Open at 3 given their resume.
Credit to DLS on a couple of those INT's. I can think of one especially where the pass wasn't exactly poorly thrown, but the DLS guy made a spectacular play, basically stole a reception from the receiver. Not much SRV could have done about that. Take away the 21 pts anyway and it's still a 28 to 7 game. Not exactly tight. (I'm not counting the last minute td from SRV during the running clock as the dynamics of the game had drastically changed at that point and no doubt DLS had already took their foot off the gas at that point.)

2017 SRV is on par with 2016 MV. The Wolves are a big, physical team with a strong QB and some good skill players. They tackle well too.

Hope we get to see SRV/Pitt- would be a great match up.

I don't see neither Pitt or SRV beating a talented well coached Serra team at this time of the season. Just don't see it.

Unfortunately for Serra, they already lost to a talented well coached Pitt team earlier this year. It’s easy to say Serra would win a rematch if they played again, but a win on the field trumps one on the keyboard.

[QUOTE="observer22, post: 179112, member: 558"]Unfortunately for Serra, they already lost to a talented well coached Pitt team earlier this year. It’s easy to say Serra would win a rematch if they played again, but a win on the field trumps one on the keyboard.[/QUOTE]

While "Newbie" FootballJunkie101's" post likely would have elicited such a post as yours observer22 the "rookie" may well be right in this case. I have said in multiple posts that Pitt is the best team I'd seen during this season. Last nite Pitt barely escaped with a 14-12 win over a 6-3 Antioch team. Not saying Antioch is not a good team & I also watched the 3rd game of the season when Serra was within the 10-yard line & 1-play of tying Pitt. This Serra team is similar to last years that went to state and a 10-game win streak - only better IMO. Their offense has come together and Caoch Walsh has made great adjustments just beating a very good Valley Christian team by 35-7. The playoffs will be fun and will be interesting to see how Serra-St. Francis game goes this coming week, knowing SF lost to DLS by 31-7 and DLS just steamrolled an unbeaten SRV by 47-14 -[with SRV's 2nd TD coming in closing minutes during a running clock 4th quarter].

I don't disagree with the narrative that SRV is a good team and deserved to be in the Open bracket. They have some big players on both sides of the ball and their receivers dropped some balls as well. However, to say that their defense held DLS to 21 is a bit of a stretch. Two of the pick sixes came on 3rd and long. If DLS knocks down the ball instead, who's to say that the Spartans don't go down and score on offense? It was 35-7 at the half, 42-7 early in the 3rd, and a freshman call-up QB was taking snaps for the Spartans before the 4th quarter started. The offense barely had to take the field.

BTW, that freshman will be in the mix to start next year even though both QB's will be back. He is really talented..

Reactions: DLSPop1314
DLS had a Frosh taking snaps against SRV?? Wow that is unbelieveable - what is he 14 yrs old? Reading your last line DLS will have 3 good QB's next season - talk about stacked!

While "Newbie" FootballJunkie101's" st likely would have elicited such a post as yours observer22 the "rookie" may well be right in this case. I have said in multiple posts that Pitt is the best team I'd seen during this season. Last nite Pitt barely escaped with a 14-12 win over a 6-3 Antioch team. Not saying Antioch is not a good team & I also watched the 3rd game of the season when Serra was within the 10-yard line & 1-play of tying Pitt. This Serra team is similar to last years that went to state and a 10-game win streak - only better IMO. Their offense has come together and Caoch Walsh has made great adjustments just beating a very good Valley Christian team by 35-7. The playoffs will be fun and will be interesting to see how Serra-St. Francis game goes this coming week, knowing SF lost to DLS by 31-7 and DLS just steamrolled an unbeaten SRV by 47-14 -[with SRV's 2nd TD coming in closing minutes during a running clock 4th quarter].
Agree with everything you said here except I'm not a newbie bro. Been here since 2005. And I'll keep it right there on that one. That said, Pitt and the rest of the east bay dodged a bullet by not playing a Serra team now.

Agree with everything you said here except I'm not a newbie bro. Been here since 2005. And I'll keep it right there on that one. That said, Pitt and the rest of the east bay dodged a bullet by not playing a Serra team now.

I don’t necessarily disagree that Serra might or probably would beat Pitt if they played right now, but Pitt did beat Serra on the field where it counts. Give Pitt credit for a hard fought victory over a solid team. DLS might beat Gorman if they played right now too.

I don’t necessarily disagree that Serra might or probably would beat Pitt if they played right now, but Pitt did beat Serra on the field where it counts. Give Pitt credit for a hard fought victory over a solid team. DLS might beat Gorman if they played right now too.

Agreed observer that we are on the same page.

As to FootballJunkie, was not familiar with your tag name and info indicated you were a "rookie" new to site [perhaps you took a break for awhile?]. And you're from Atlanta? Anyway good to hear from you and that you're a Serra fan.

Reactions: FootballJunkie101
Agreed observer that we are on the same page.

As to FootballJunkie, was not familiar with your tag name and info indicated you were a "rookie" new to site [perhaps you took a break for awhile?]. And you're from Atlanta? Anyway good to hear from you and that you're a Serra fan.
It's all good bro. I'm a fan of football and Norcal football in general since I've been involved with three Norcal Sections. I'm from Cali but reside in Georgia. In regards to my new moniker I allowed a relative to post here a few times in regards to some political threads in which got my handle "PGownsWhitney" banned. I personally believe sports and politics go hand and hand but it's not my call so I agreed with the ban because others were banned as well. Prior to that I had a moniker since 2005 in which I retired because it's statement ran it's course. So yes, I've been here for a minute and pretty much know everyone here. In regards to Serra, I think they have a good thing going right now. As long as they don't get hit by an injury bug they will go a long ways in the playoffs. Coach Walsh is a solid coach and he's got the Padre's playing at the top of their game.

DLS had a Frosh taking snaps against SRV?? Wow that is unbelieveable - what is he 14 yrs old? Reading your last line DLS will have 3 good QB's next season - talk about stacked!

Think 3 the QB's are more a work in progress for the Spartans rather than a stacked cupboard The upside is they will have experience under their belts going into next season

Reactions: DLSPop1314

Doesn’t a frosh have to be at least 15 to be brought up to varsity?

Did you watch the beat down that Gorman gave Dls this year?

It was like Mcgregor putting Aldo to sleep.

If you read the post, my point was that Gorman won the game on the field. Who might win right now doesn’t really matter. DLS won’t face Gorman again so it doesn’t matter. Serra still has a chance to face Pitt or St. Mary’s of Stockton again.

Doesn’t a frosh have to be at least 15 to be brought up to varsity?
Yep...reminiscent of the “spartan since birth” kid whose parents held him back in a private kindergarten despite the fact he would’ve turned 18 in December of his Senior year.

Did you watch the beat down that Gorman gave Dls this year?

It was like Mcgregor putting Aldo to sleep.
I did and agree it's a stretch of the imagination to think DLS would win a hypothetical rematch this year; however it would not be a stretch to think they could potentially make it a little more competitive. A better analysis on some fictitious rematch could be made if DLS makes it to open and potentially faces MD. That would be a real test to see if DLS has improved a lot since early in the season. Hard to get a true read on them when they play inferior competition.

Yep...reminiscent of the “spartan since birth” kid whose parents held him back in a private kindergarten despite the fact he would’ve turned 18 in December of his Senior year.

Little league often flushes these kids out, when they are required to play with kids their own age, rather than a grade level that can change. Brings another dimension to the term "true freshman".

Little league often flushes these kids out, when they are required to play with kids their own age, rather than a grade level that can change. Brings another dimension to the term "true freshman".

If one waits and repeats the eighth grade, like some DLS'ers do, little league is unaffected........:rolleyes:

LOL....eagle eye following me, and sadly mistaken. Despite the vulgarity, green envy is what’s in store when the liability carrier comes a knockin’.

I did and agree it's a stretch of the imagination to think DLS would win a hypothetical rematch this year

Agree 100%

however it would not be a stretch to think they could potentially make it a little more competitive.

That's a possibility but this Gorman team would win 10/10 versus this Dls team.

A better analysis on some fictitious rematch could be made if DLS makes it to open and potentially faces MD.

It's a 99% guarantee that they will make it to the Open bowl game. If they lose to CVC it would be a huge embarrassment. Given that Northern Nevada's current #3 team steamrolled CVC. Reed was leading 38-8 late in the fourth QTR.

That would be a real test to see if DLS has improved a lot since early in the season. Hard to get a true read on them when they play inferior competition.

I did and agree it's a stretch of the imagination to think DLS would win a hypothetical rematch this year

Agree 100%

however it would not be a stretch to think they could potentially make it a little more competitive.

A better analysis on some fictitious rematch could be made if DLS makes it to open and potentially faces MD.

It's a 99% guarantee that they will make it to the Open bowl game. If they lose to CVC it would be a huge embarrassment. Given that Northern Nevada's current #3 team steamrolled CVC. Reed was leading 38-8 late in the fourth QTR.

That would be a real test to see if DLS has improved a lot since early in the season. Hard to get a true read on them when they play inferior competition.

I would love it if Sparty beat MD this year!

a los tres Californios......
Hardly doubt that the Spartniks have cornered that strategy. Sure you can find in any school, on every team, a daddy baller who thinks he is helping junior to become the next jugend-supersportler.

Looking back over our experiences I remember so many parents who were sure their Johnny or Missy was bound for the next Olympics because of some supposed phenomenal race finish, or just outperforming his/her peers or because of all the extra-curricular training expenses. I remember parents working themselves into the "destined few" frenzy waiting for the University coaches who would would come a knockin' a la Publisher's Clearing House with a bushel basket of offers and promises.

And then once Johnny or Missy made it over the ramparts of HS graduation into College they discovered their childhood pond was pretty small; that in their University pond there is a lot of big fish just as good or even better. Worse is the prospect of next year's incoming underclassmen are more piranhas ready to chew off more than their tails.

Know the above posts were about getting a leg up on football but getting through 4 years of college successfully today is lot harder today then when I floated through. Getting through 4 years of college today WHILE participating in a major sport is superhuman. My kid whipped my a$$ long ago.

Reactions: 1315
What is this garbage about DLS parents holding kids back? That happens at all schools.

No one said they cornered the market on holding back or were the only school who have had 19 year old seniors. Sure, this is something that happens every now and then at every school. Someone had posted that a freshman stud QB had been called up to varsity at DLS. Another poster asked, "what is he 14 years old"?, and I responded by saying that I thought there was a rule that you had to be at least 15 to play varsity. It took off from there, but it's not like DLS doesn't have hold backs either. There happened to be a slew of them from San Ramon a few years back that did not go unnoticed by the locals that had kids who had played with or against them in little league.

Reactions: 1315

Agree 100%

I would love it if Sparty beat MD this year!

I believe CV was using their attempted pass first offense that game which is why they only scored 8. I'm not sure though.

Don’t know about the NCS, but in the CCS 14 year olds have eligible to play varsity for as long as I can remember; provided their parents sign off on it.

No one said they cornered the market on holding back or were the only school who have had 19 year old seniors. Sure, this is something that happens every now and then at every school. Someone had posted that a freshman stud QB had been called up to varsity at DLS. Another poster asked, "what is he 14 years old"?, and I responded by saying that I thought there was a rule that you had to be at least 15 to play varsity. It took off from there, but it's not like DLS doesn't have hold backs either. There happened to be a slew of them from San Ramon a few years back that did not go unnoticed by the locals that had kids who had played with or against them in little league.

Know the above posts were about getting a leg up on football but getting through 4 years of college successfully today is lot harder today then when I floated through. Getting through 4 years of college today WHILE participating in a major sport is superhuman. My kid whipped my a$$ long ago.

Getting through college while playing a sport is far from superhuman. I hope that was a joke.

Getting through college while playing a sport is far from superhuman. I hope that was a joke.

No joke here.
4-6 hours a day for team 2x daily workouts/training, traveling all weekend and some weeknights to compete, full academic load every semester, 1 year actual hands on training class/program with the City of Chicago and finished full engineering studies within 4 years.
Concrete jr's comment when League Championships were over in February was that the last 3.5 months of his senor year was the easiest time in 4 years and didn't understand why non-athlete students all didn't carry a 4.0 academic average.
Can't speak for other athlete's experiences but by my measure that is a major stretch in the effort department

Austin Hooper was an 8th grade hold back

These arguments are always a little silly to me. You can play or you can't. You may be more physically developed, but just being older doesn't make you a star. Just like being young for your grade doesn't make you a great prospect

Reactions: Bubba3000
That would be a logical statement for a significant number of student athletes (and “recreation sciences” a la SEC is not a science.) However, especially for the science and engineering kids, it’s a battle. 6:15 weights and afternoon labs getting coach permission to miss OTAs makes it tough. In the WCC, far fewer RS (privates with no FB income) and 5 year plans are uncommon. That condenses everything.

No joke here.
4-6 hours a day for team 2x daily workouts/training, traveling all weekend and some weeknights to compete, full academic load every semester, 1 year actual hands on training class/program with the City of Chicago and finished full engineering studies within 4 years.
Concrete jr's comment when League Championships were over in February was that the last 3.5 months of his senor year was the easiest time in 4 years and didn't understand why non-athlete students all didn't carry a 4.0 academic average.
Can't speak for other athlete's experiences but by my measure that is a major stretch in the effort department

I didn’t play at the D1 Level, but I did play football at a pretty good JC. During the season Monday through Friday football required 20-25 hours, plus basically all day Saturday. Stopped playing when I transferred to a FBS school because I wasn’t good enough to make it and instead worked a 4PM-1230AM shift full time at a Walgreens to support myself. That was much more difficult.

These arguments are always a little silly to me. You can play or you can't. You may be more physically developed, but just being older doesn't make you a star. Just like being young for your grade doesn't make you a great prospect

That's a good point, Streak. Everyone has a different ceiling and I think being talented and older is a big advantage, especially at the high school level.

Reactions: observer22
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT