ADVERTISEMENT

DLS vs MD Coaching and Big Picture

I was talking about DJ Uiagalelei and Bosco reloading. DJ is the complete package. Agree on BY not being close to that level. However, he is dam good.
DJ is not complete. Because does not posess the accuracy and pocket presence to be complete

I thought DLS did themselves proud by not giving up. When it was 28 to 7 it looked like it was about to get very ugly.
- Credit has to be given to MD's defensive coaching staff. They were prepared for the veer rushing attack as well as any team I have ever seen play DLS. They played discipline, assignment football. The MD DC should get looks as a head coach. He did the same thing to Bosco (2nd time) and CC, although with more horses.
- While it was nice to see DLS open the playbook more, I thought they did not target Foskey close to enough. Foskey is big time and was probably the one player on the field you could move around and have an advantage vs MD. Similar to MD did with McCoy. MD was missing three D1 guys in their secondary for this game. The DLS staff should have gone to Foskey far more. Especially with how badly the run was stuffed. This was a big missed opportunity by the DLS OC.
- MD played this game without 3 starters in the secondary. All are D1 players, and Elias Ricks is the #1 corner in the country (he had 3 pick sixs vs CC). If MD has these guys it's more than likely DLS' passing game goes nowhere. They are that good. Without these 3 MD does not beat IMG, SJB the 2nd time and CC. MD also played without it's best OL Myles Murao who was a key player on the line in their 2017 national title run.
- Transfers are a hot topic. It should be noted MD lost a ton of talent leaving also. Chris Street is a key name who ended up being JSerra's best player and a future D1 RB. It is what it is in 2018. This is similar to the one and done in college hoops. Look at Duke this season. Does it hurt the spirit of HS football? Maybe. But it's how things are being done in 2018. Adapt or get left behind.
- In 2019 look for more of the same. MD has almost their entire defense coming back, Bryce Young is back and expect transfers. SJB should reload. Who doesn't want to play with probably the best HS QB we have seen coming out of CA since John Elway? Look for Jserra to make a push as a real contender. DLS has its work cut out.
Excellent point about Foskey in the Championship game, particularly when DLS was forced to pass. Was thinking the same thing. Only conceivable mismatch the Spartans had in the passing game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT