ADVERTISEMENT

Folsom/Jesuit thoughts

pastyfastquick3

Hall of Famer
Aug 26, 2019
I big opening game for both teams. This seems to have become sort of a "tradition" of sorts, since both teams seem to always cross paths early in the season.

Look forward to seeing the "Galley Crew" again at Sac State!

Last edited:
Respect Marlon Blanton as a coach but I wish he would stop scheduling this game. At least until he has enough weapons to beat them like DLS. But I'm just a gotdamn poster!:p:p:p

Agreed. They've had one or two competitive games years back. Other than that game a real yawner as a series. 55-9 type games just don’t move the needle for me.

As a Jesuit grad, I certainly don’t enjoy seeing my school get blown out of the water year after year, but let’s not pretend anyone else in the Sacramento area would give Folsom a better game.

Jesuit is a team that improves throughout the season, they were playing as well as anyone (outside of Folsom) at the end of last year. I think part of that is due to challenging themselves early in the season.

If anything, I’d rather Jesuit stop scheduling Christian Brothers and Rio Americano. Those games don’t do anything to help Jesuit improve.

As a Jesuit grad, I certainly don’t enjoy seeing my school get blown out of the water year after year, but let’s not pretend anyone else in the Sacramento area would give Folsom a better game.

Jesuit is a team that improves throughout the season, they were playing as well as anyone (outside of Folsom) at the end of last year. I think part of that is due to challenging themselves early in the season.

If anything, I’d rather Jesuit stop scheduling Christian Brothers and Rio Americano. Those games don’t do anything to help Jesuit improve.
Well, honestly I would rather Folsom play Sac High. But they lost to Sac the first time and struggled with them the 2nd time. SO I HIGHLY DOUBT Folsom SCHEDULES THAT CONTEST AGAIN.

Well, honestly I would rather Folsom play Sac High. But they lost to Sac the first time and struggled with them the 2nd time. SO I HIGHLY DOUBT Folsom SCHEDULES THAT CONTEST AGAIN.

Probably will never schedule them again. Let’s be honest they only they don’t like to schedule teams with equal talent. I’m sure st Mary’s of Stockton would rather play Folsom than bosco, mater dei and dls

Reactions: RedZone90
Respect Marlon Blanton as a coach but I wish he would stop scheduling this game. At least until he has enough weapons to beat them like DLS. But I'm just a gotdamn poster!:p:p:p

Folsom has to schedule somebody, don't they? Outside of league, they still need to fill 4 weeks last I checked. Until Folsom starts filling all 4 of those non-league slots with programs better than Jesuit, why not continue to play them?

From 2012 through this current season, Folsom will have faced 20 different non-league opponents. Only DLS, Cathedral Catholic, Chaminade, and CVC would likely be considered by the majority of fans to be clearly better than Jesuit in an average season. Unfortunately, Folsom isn't playing all 4 of those types of programs in the same season.

So again I say, until Folsom starts filling all 4 non-league slots with programs better than Jesuit, I don't have a problem with Marauders taking them on. As the only large private in the area, I'd rather Jesuit face Folsom than the likes of Antelope, Oakdale, Coeur d'Alene, Burbank, Pleasant Grove, Clovis North, Roseville, Woodcreek, Deer Valley, or Casa Roble.

Outside of losses to DLS, St. Mary's, SAC, and Bellarmine, Jesuit has given Folsom some of their closes games since they began their current run in 2012.

Closest Margin of Victory for Folsom from 2012 through today:

1 vs. Clayton Valley Charter 2015
1 vs. Oak Ridge 2016
7 vs. Jesuit 2013
7 vs. St. Mary's 2015
7 vs. Cathedral Catholic 2018 (OT)
8 vs. Elk Grove 2015
9 vs. Sacramento 2017
11 vs. San Ramon Valley 2012
12 vs. Deer Valley 2012
13 vs. Granite Bay 2015
13 vs. Jesuit 2017
14 vs. Rocklin 2015
14 vs. Oak Ridge 2015
14 vs. Jesuit 2016
14 vs. Oak Ridge 2017

Last edited:
Reactions: NorCalHSFan
Folsom has to schedule somebody, don't they? Outside of league, they still need to fill 4 weeks last I checked. Until Folsom starts filling all 4 of those non-league slots with programs better than Jesuit, why not continue to play them?
In regards to Folsom continually scheduling Jesuit this to me and many others is basically the problem. I mean, I believe we're all in agreement that Folsom should beef up their pre-season schedule. However, under the old staff it seems as though they weren't willing participants in doing that. So I'm hoping & praying Jesuit forces them to beef up their pre-season schedule by not scheduling them at all.

That said, I do understand that Jesuit has to fill their 4 pre-season slots but I'd rather see them pick a fight with a CSS power such as VC, St. Francis or Serra. I mean these teams would give Jesuit all they want and some. So I get your point TR and it's a valid one but I would rather see Jesuit play a different opponent. At least until they get enough DLS type players to beat Folsom. Now things can change for the simple fact that Folsom has a new coach at the helm. We all know "styles makes fights". And coach Doherty style of play may just be a blessing for coach Blanton. We shall see-very soon. (In my Warren Buffett voice)

Reactions: THEOC89

I totally agree on NOT scheduling teams one normally walks all over.Placer was scheduling Rio Americano there for about 4 yrs and I didn’t see Rio making themselves any better from yr one to yr four,i’m glad Coach Montoya moved on because as you said “Those games did nothing to IMPROVE Jesuit,in our case Placer”.And trust me Placer is not Jesuit but could be on certain yrs (such as last couple yrs,being able to somewhat COMPETE rather than get THROTTLED....certain yrs!)but I see Placer program much BETTER than Rio Americano,and yet WE as fans were tired of scheduling Rio!It did NOTHING for us(Placer)and i’m quite sure it wasn’t fun for Rio!So I totally AGREE with you especially CHALLENGING yourself early,Placer this yr is NOT the Placer of say last 2-3 yrs not even close,they are YOUNG...BUT....I give the Hillmen much CREDIT for this yr scheduling teams such as Eureka from the north who they beat last Friday nite,a Eureka program that has done tremendously WELL last couple yrs,up in the North Section.And in weeks 3 and 5 the Hillmen have annual Santa Rosa POWER Cardinal Newman AND my frost and soph alma matre Bishop O’Dowd Dragons coming to Auburn!Very tough pre-season for the Hillmen,especially this young group and throw in Vista Del Lago and a Whitney from the SFL.I know Whitney not saying much for SFL representation BUT for this young Hillmen team......IT’S BIG for us,especially now that Placer plays in the Div 3 FVL with the likes of state champion Rio Linda and now all time SJS single season rushing champion Cameron Skatebo,Ponderosa,Lincoln,Oakmont,Nevada Union,for which now Placer is the SMALLEST enrollment wise at 1200 opposed to the rest at 1600 to 2000+.That is a far cry from PVL where Placer was 4th largest and dominated last 6 yrs.Placer won FVL last yr on maiden voyage but now it’s different....them scheduling the Cardinal Newman’s and the O’Dowd Dragons And even Eureka.....makes them better and grow up fast.....very FAST!Totally agree on CHALLENGING yourself!And if you’re a team that has high expectations for the year my suggestion to you is if it’s Placer you are plaing(You better bring you’re A game)because these very well coached Joey Montoya,Eric Rodarte Hillmen teams more times than NOT.....WILL bite you if you don’t.......that is a fact!!Bravo Placer on challenging yourselves!

Last edited:
I totally agree on NOT scheduling teams one normally walks all over.Placer was scheduling Rio Americano there for about 4 yrs and I didn’t see Rio making themselves any better from yr one to yr four,i’m glad Coach Montoya moved on because as you said “Those games did nothing to IMPROVE Jesuit,in our case Placer”.And trust me Placer is not Jesuit but could be on certain yrs (such as last couple yrs,being able to somewhat COMPETE rather than get THROTTLED....certain yrs!)but I see Placer program much BETTER than Rio Americano,and yet WE as fans were tired of scheduling Rio!It did NOTHING for us(Placer)and i’m quite sure it wasn’t fun for Rio!So I totally AGREE with you especially CHALLENGING yourself early,Placer this yr is NOT the Placer of say last 2-3 yrs not even close,they are YOUNG...BUT....I give the Hillmen much CREDIT for this yr scheduling teams such as Eureka from the north who they beat last Friday nite,a Eureka program that has done tremendously WELL last couple yrs,up in the North Section.And in weeks 3 and 5 the Hillmen have annual Santa Rosa POWER Cardinal Newman AND my frost and soph alma matre Bishop O’Dowd Dragons coming to Auburn!Very tough pre-season for the Hillmen,especially this young group and throw in Vista Del Lago and a Whitney from the SFL.I know Whitney not saying much for SFL representation BUT for this young Hillmen team......IT’S BIG for us,especially now that Placer plays in the Div 3 FVL with the likes of state champion Rio Linda and now all time SJS single season rushing champion Cameron Skatebo,Ponderosa,Lincoln,Oakmont,Nevada Union,for which now Placer is the SMALLEST enrollment wise at 1200 opposed to the rest at 1600 to 2000+.That is a far cry from PVL where Placer was 4th largest and dominated last 6 yrs.Placer won FVL last yr on maiden voyage but now it’s different....them scheduling the Cardinal Newman’s and the O’Dowd Dragons And even Eureka.....makes them better and grow up fast.....very FAST!Totally agree on CHALLENGING yourself!And if you’re a team that thinks you’re ALL THAT my suggestion to you is (You better bring you’re A game)because these very well coached Joey Montoya,Eric Rodarte Hillmen teams more times than NOT.....WILL bite you if you don’t.......that is a fact!!Bravo Placer on challenging yourselves!

Eureka is an NCS school not a NS school.

Reactions: championcif75
I totally agree on NOT scheduling teams one normally walks all over.Placer was scheduling Rio Americano there for about 4 yrs and I didn’t see Rio making themselves any better from yr one to yr four,i’m glad Coach Montoya moved on because as you said “Those games did nothing to IMPROVE Jesuit,in our case Placer”.And trust me Placer is not Jesuit but could be on certain yrs (such as last couple yrs,being able to somewhat COMPETE rather than get THROTTLED....certain yrs!)but I see Placer program much BETTER than Rio Americano,and yet WE as fans were tired of scheduling Rio!It did NOTHING for us(Placer)and i’m quite sure it wasn’t fun for Rio!So I totally AGREE with you especially CHALLENGING yourself early,Placer this yr is NOT the Placer of say last 2-3 yrs not even close,they are YOUNG...BUT....I give the Hillmen much CREDIT for this yr scheduling teams such as Eureka from the north who they beat last Friday nite,a Eureka program that has done tremendously WELL last couple yrs,up in the North Section.And in weeks 3 and 5 the Hillmen have annual Santa Rosa POWER Cardinal Newman AND my frost and soph alma matre Bishop O’Dowd Dragons coming to Auburn!Very tough pre-season for the Hillmen,especially this young group and throw in Vista Del Lago and a Whitney from the SFL.I know Whitney not saying much for SFL representation BUT for this young Hillmen team......IT’S BIG for us,especially now that Placer plays in the Div 3 FVL with the likes of state champion Rio Linda and now all time SJS single season rushing champion Cameron Skatebo,Ponderosa,Lincoln,Oakmont,Nevada Union,for which now Placer is the SMALLEST enrollment wise at 1200 opposed to the rest at 1600 to 2000+.That is a far cry from PVL where Placer was 4th largest and dominated last 6 yrs.Placer won FVL last yr on maiden voyage but now it’s different....them scheduling the Cardinal Newman’s and the O’Dowd Dragons And even Eureka.....makes them better and grow up fast.....very FAST!Totally agree on CHALLENGING yourself!And if you’re a team that thinks you’re ALL THAT my suggestion to you is (You better bring you’re A game)because these very well coached Joey Montoya,Eric Rodarte Hillmen teams more times than NOT.....WILL bite you if you don’t.......that is a fact!!Bravo Placer on challenging yourselves!

Hi Champ! I haven't followed Placer nearly as long as you have but I'm very familiar with this team and we Hillmen fans can look forward to another good season! This team isn't young, it's just that last year's seniors were a really good class and so the team has lost a lot of those starters. But this year's seniors are also really good and should fill into starting roles nicely. And four of them have been starting for Placer varsity since they were sophomores, plus the class as a whole went 10-0 their freshmen and JV seasons. It's a good group with some really promising juniors as well, so this strong preseason schedule will be great to prepare them for league and the post season.

Hi Champ! I haven't followed Placer nearly as long as you have but I'm very familiar with this team and we Hillmen fans can look forward to another good season! This team isn't young, it's just that last year's seniors were a really good class and so the team has lost a lot of those starters. But this year's seniors are also really good and should fill into starting roles nicely. And four of them have been starting for Placer varsity since they were sophomores, plus the class as a whole went 10-0 their freshmen and JV seasons. It's a good group with some really promising juniors as well, so this strong preseason schedule will be great to prepare them for league and the post season.
I agree,I called them young primarily because of the number of great talent we graduated last yr,yes we do have several returning including 2 strong rb’s in Grassman and Whigam as well as a couple very good linemen the rest of the sr’s do fill in nicely along with the new talent from the jv team.This preseason schedule is challenging for sure,and from what I hear one of our best RB’s has yet to suit up,but will be ready first league game and also plays safety,he’s nursing a shoulder injury from last yr on the jv’s...I believe.But I agree our kids this yr will rep well,that was a lot of talent that graduated...for sure!Thanks for info!PS would appreciate meeting you 1227 Elevation,at Placer I sit 3 rows down right behind ticket booth on the end,the tall good looking guy in the BLUE chairs,lol.Go Placer.....My APOLOGIES everyone this is a Folsom/Jesuit thread,i’m out!

Last edited:
When you have probably your most talented roster you schedule a nationally respected schedule. There’s a reason why Folsom isn’t nationally respected every year despite be on this wild 10 year run. Centennial is the same as Folsom but they schedule nationally ranked teams they are ranked nationally every year because of it Folsom just flys under the radar and wait to the state championship week to get ranked nationally. At this point if they’re aren’t doing it to build their brand nationally then they must be getting these out of state studs to be able to dominate the sfl

Leave the sailors hat at home, won't be a boat race that's for sure. Folsom by 4 TDs, too early for Jesuit to be clicking.

In regards to Folsom continually scheduling Jesuit this to me and many others is basically the problem. I mean, I believe we're all in agreement that Folsom should beef up their pre-season schedule. However, under the old staff it seems as though they weren't willing participants in doing that. So I'm hoping & praying Jesuit forces them to beef up their pre-season schedule by not scheduling them at all.

That said, I do understand that Jesuit has to fill their 4 pre-season slots but I'd rather see them pick a fight with a CSS power such as VC, St. Francis or Serra. I mean these teams would give Jesuit all they want and some. So I get your point TR and it's a valid one but I would rather see Jesuit play a different opponent. At least until they get enough DLS type players to beat Folsom. Now things can change for the simple fact that Folsom has a new coach at the helm. We all know "styles makes fights". And coach Doherty style of play may just be a blessing for coach Blanton. We shall see-very soon. (In my Warren Buffett voice)

So if Jesuit doesn’t schedule them, then how do you feel about whomever replaces them on Folsom’s schedule doing the same? What about Antelope or Burbank or Monterey Trail?

Again, until Folsom schedules like DLS with 4 top tier nonleague games, a couple of teams at Jesuit’s level or lower will be on the slate. So why not Jesuit if that’s gonna be the case?

My point is, I believe you’re misplacing your issue with Jesuit when it’s really with Folsom. If I’m Jesuit or Antelope I’d schedule Folsom too if they’d take the game. Play the best to help prepare your team. And they keep taking the game instead of stepping up themselves.

As I already said, if anyone in the area outside of league is gonna play them in preseason, Jesuit is among the most qualified.

Thanks,I was under impression they were NS,we rarely play NS teams let alone NCS.Yet this yr we play 3 from NCS...Cardinal Newman,Bishop O’Dowd and last week Eureka....thanks Bella for clarity!

Easy confusion, HDN league pretty far up north a good 200+ miles from the closet NCS leagues (sans Ukiah high which still has to be about 150 miles).

Thanks,I was under impression they were NS,we rarely play NS teams let alone NCS.Yet this yr we play 3 from NCS...Cardinal Newman,Bishop O’Dowd and last week Eureka....thanks Bella for clarity!

I can see how you'd make that assumption, since they're so far North. Easiest way to remember in the future is that they are in a Coastal city. Pretty much every school North of SF that's near the coast is NCS. Everything along or near State Route 1 and HWY 101. And now it even extends as far East as Napa Valley all the way up State Route 29 to Clearlake.

So if Jesuit doesn’t schedule them, then how do you feel about whomever replaces them on Folsom’s schedule doing the same? What about Antelope or Burbank or Monterey Trail?

Again, until Folsom schedules like DLS with 4 top tier nonleague games, a couple of teams at Jesuit’s level or lower will be on the slate. So why not Jesuit if that’s gonna be the case?

My point is, I believe you’re misplacing your issue with Jesuit when it’s really with Folsom. If I’m Jesuit or Antelope I’d schedule Folsom too if they’d take the game. Play the best to help prepare your team. And they keep taking the game instead of stepping up themselves.

As I already said, if anyone in the area outside of league is gonna play them in preseason, Jesuit is among the most qualified.
Good questions but I would feel the same way about those teams you mentioned. I would hope those teams wouldn't accept the challenge either.

Why not Jesuit? Because at the time they didn't have what it takes to beat Folsom so why not give it a break? Folsom has always been the favorite to win those games, right? Why not take a break from Folsom and when you get the pieces on the lower levels reschedule them? I mean, do you believe it makes sense to make a lopsided rivalry game out of this? I don't for too many reasons to discuss here.

Monterey Trails has moved on from Folsom and they're reaching out to quality teams in SoCal and tough teams in the South Bay. A practice Folsom should have been doing a long time ago. Let's be real, teams such as Antelope and Burbank would only be scheduling Folsom for a bigger pay day at the gate. I mean how would it be great for those teams and their fans when they continue getting blown out by Folsom on a yearly basis?

It would be beneficial if those two teams (Burbank/Antelope) reached out to a Bishop O'dowd, Palo Alto, McClymonds, Pleasant Valley, Sutter or the like before they think about challenging a Folsom type program. If those two teams scheduled Folsom it would be a disservice to their players. Allowing your players to take a premeditated/predetermined asswhoop'n on a yearly basis shouldn't be a teachable moment. You learn more about your program when your team is playing a high level of situational football not a high level of o'shit football.

As I said before, Jesuit should reach out to the private schools in the CCS. For instance, I would make a rivalry game with St. Francis every year. If I was B'Bank I would reach out to a team like 'Palo Alto' and make it a rivalry type game. And if I were Antelope I would reach out to a 'McClymond's' type team and make that a rivalry game. Your football program would only benefit from scheduling these types of games not hurt it in anyway. Once again, you make some good points TR but I would take my program in a different direction than Jesuit in this case. Just my take on this pre-season scheduling stuff.

Good questions but I would feel the same way about those teams you mentioned. I would hope those teams wouldn't accept the challenge either.

Why not Jesuit? Because at the time they didn't have what it takes to beat Folsom so why not give it a break? Folsom has always been the favorite to win those games, right? Why not take a break from Folsom and when you get the pieces on the lower levels reschedule them? I mean, do you believe it makes sense to make a lopsided rivalry game out of this? I don't for too many reasons to discuss here.

Monterey Trails has moved on from Folsom and they're reaching out to quality teams in SoCal and tough teams in the South Bay. A practice Folsom should have been doing a long time ago. Let's be real, teams such as Antelope and Burbank would only be scheduling Folsom for a bigger pay day at the gate. I mean how would it be great for those teams and their fans when they continue getting blown out by Folsom on a yearly basis?

It would be beneficial if those two teams (Burbank/Antelope) reached out to a Bishop O'dowd, Palo Alto, McClymonds, Pleasant Valley, Sutter or the like before they think about challenging a Folsom type program. If those two teams scheduled Folsom it would be a disservice to their players. Allowing your players to take a premeditated/predetermined asswhoop'n on a yearly basis shouldn't be a teachable moment. You learn more about your program when your team is playing a high level of situational football not a high level of o'shit football.

As I said before, Jesuit should reach out to the private schools in the CCS. For instance, I would make a rivalry game with St. Francis every year. If I was B'Bank I would reach out to a team like 'Palo Alto' and make it a rivalry type game. And if I were Antelope I would reach out to a 'McClymond's' type team and make that a rivalry game. Your football program would only benefit from scheduling these types of games not hurt it in anyway. Once again, you make some good points TR but I would take my program in a different direction than Jesuit in this case. Just my take on this pre-season scheduling stuff.

I think playing teams like Folsom will help Jesuit attract the type of talent they need to compete with Folsom.

I’d like to see them play some WCAL schools, not instead of Folsom, but in addition to Folsom. They used to play Bellarmine (when Bellarmine was legit).

I know they aren’t a WCAL team, but they used to schedule St. Mary’s of Stockton on a yearly basis as well. I wish they would renew that series.

I think playing teams like Folsom will help Jesuit attract the type of talent they need to compete with Folsom.

I’d like to see them play some WCAL schools, not instead of Folsom, but in addition to Folsom. They used to play Bellarmine (when Bellarmine was legit).

I know they aren’t a WCAL team, but they used to schedule St. Mary’s of Stockton on a yearly basis as well. I wish they would renew that series.
I agree with you somewhat but if you continue to lose to Folsom why would a good player transfer into Jesuit before Folsom? I wouldn't!!! Wasn't there a rumor last year that Rutherford was seeking a transfer into Folsom? That to me is what's happening. The good players that are transferring are seeking to transfer to Folsom before any other school for the most part.

I totally agree, Jesuit should have been scheduling teams like St. Mary's, St. Francis (MV), Valley Christian (SJ), Central Catholic and now Capital Christian. Would love to see them place at least three of these teams on their pre-season schedule and make one a rivalry game.

I'm not trying to come across as condescending or crass, but I don't believe you're grasping my point.

You keep focusing on Jesuit. But it's the other way around. If not Jesuit, then who would Folsom be playing? That's the question I keep asking.

Folsom hasn't been scheduling Centennial, St. John Bosco, Pittsburg, St. Mary's, Bellarmine, St. Francis or any other notable WCAL program -- for whatever reasons. And they typically haven't been scheduling more than 1 opponent on their level or above. So that leaves 3-4 slots open for opponents beneath them. So, if Folsom doesn't schedule Jesuit -- then a similar or lesser level program to Jesuit will take their place.

Since that is reality at the moment, Jesuit is clearly more qualified than any other area program that would realistically take their place. They are the preeminent large school private in the area and are most capable of consistently fielding teams able to compete -- as evidenced by the score differentials I listed for you.

You keep focusing on the fact that they have lost all the games and have been blown out in a few of them. So what? Folsom is doing that to 95% of the non-DLS teams they're scheduling out of league.

The day Folsom opts to go the same scheduling route as DLS, then I'll fully agree with you. But that hasn't happened to this point in time and doesn't look promising for the future.

In the meantime, I'm not gonna criticize Jesuit for continuing to schedule the game when the alternative seems to be another local area sacrificial lamb not consistently as good as Jesuit is.

Considering that, I fail to understand why you are bashing Jesuit when it's really Folsom's scheduling you're taking issue with.

I agree with you somewhat but if you continue to lose to Folsom why would a good player transfer into Jesuit before Folsom? I wouldn't!!!

By this logic, no local team should ever schedule Folsom because they might lose players. SMH. C'mon Junkie. You're not making sense.

I mean, that same logic should apply to Folsom getting their head kicked in by DLS every single time they play, right? Except Folsom isn't losing athletes despite always losing to the Spartans -- are they?

Furthermore, the top programs in the Bay Area haven't stopped trying to compete with DLS have they? Is the WCAL losing all their talent because they haven't won a game since 1989?

Folsom has to schedule 4 games out of league. And unless they shift course and opt to schedule nothing but top tier programs from all around CA and out of state, then most of those slots are going to be filled by local area programs.

Until you can get Folsom's HC and AD on the phone and convince them to schedule up for all 4 of those games, you're continuing to bark up the wrong tree, my friend.

Agreed. Scheduling Folsom doesn't hurt them at all. If anything it helps because high profile games are great exposure, win or lose. A lot more people that matter will end up seeing Jesuit v. Folsom or Jesuit v. DLS than will see Jesuit v. Pleasant Grove.

With regard to attracting and keeping talent, Jesuit is hurt more by the fact that they play home games on Saturday afternoon than anything else.

100% concur.

They haven't faced the Bells since 2007 yet were 2-1 against them. They haven't faced St. Ignatius since 1997 yet were 4-0 in that matchup.
They had a great rivalry going with St. Mary's from 2002 - 2009 with the teams spitting the 8 games.

It seems like a no-brainer to face all the fellow catholic programs from the WCAL and also the Rams.

I'm not trying to come across as condescending or crass, but I don't believe you're grasping my point.

You keep focusing on Jesuit. But it's the other way around. If not Jesuit, then who would Folsom be playing? That's the question I keep asking.

Folsom hasn't been scheduling Centennial, St. John Bosco, Pittsburg, St. Mary's, Bellarmine, St. Francis or any other notable WCAL program -- for whatever reasons. And they typically haven't been scheduling more than 1 opponent on their level or above. So that leaves 3-4 slots open for opponents beneath them. So, if Folsom doesn't schedule Jesuit -- then a similar or lesser level program to Jesuit will take their place.

Since that is reality at the moment, Jesuit is clearly more qualified than any other area program that would realistically take their place. They are the preeminent large school private in the area and are most capable of consistently fielding teams able to compete -- as evidenced by the score differentials I listed for you.

You keep focusing on the fact that they have lost all the games and have been blown out in a few of them. So what? Folsom is doing that to 95% of the non-DLS teams they're scheduling out of league.

The day Folsom opts to go the same scheduling route as DLS, then I'll fully agree with you. But that hasn't happened to this point in time and doesn't look promising for the future.

In the meantime, I'm not gonna criticize Jesuit for continuing to schedule the game when the alternative seems to be another local area sacrificial lamb not consistently as good as Jesuit is.

Considering that, I fail to understand why you are bashing Jesuit when it's really Folsom's scheduling you're taking issue with.
No brother TR I totally understand what you're saying. My point is this. I don't give a damn who takes Jesuits place. And I'm not blaming coach Blanton for scheduling Folsom I just wish he would have been a part of the movement to force Folsom to schedule up. By not accepting the challenge after losing so many times. And when you say who will take their place, sarcastically I would hope no one would unless it's one of the teams you mentioned above. And that would be a Cen10, Mission Viejo or a out of state power. That's how I feel and to be honest at that point I didn't care if Folsom played at all. That's just the competitiveness in me so don't take this the wrong way. However, they have a new sheriff in town now and I don't believe he's built like the last sheriff. So I expect Folsom's pre-season scheduling to be a lot different and a lot more challenging moving forward. Hope this cleared things up with you. If not, feel free to speak on whatever you didn't get.

By this logic, no local team should ever schedule Folsom because they might lose players. SMH. C'mon Junkie. You're not making sense.

I mean, that same logic should apply to Folsom getting their head kicked in by DLS every single time they play, right? Except Folsom isn't losing athletes despite always losing to the Spartans -- are they?

Furthermore, the top programs in the Bay Area haven't stopped trying to compete with DLS have they? Is the WCAL losing all their talent because they haven't won a game since 1989?

Folsom has to schedule 4 games out of league. And unless they shift course and opt to schedule nothing but top tier programs from all around CA and out of state, then most of those slots are going to be filled by local area programs.

Until you can get Folsom's HC and AD on the phone and convince them to schedule up for all 4 of those games, you're continuing to bark up the wrong tree, my friend.
No I'm making perfect logic and good ole common sense here because most kids would rather transfer to a championship program over a non championship program i.e. Mater Dei/St. John Bosco bs for example. And from my own high school experience this is exactly what I did. I had an opportunity to play for a really good team my senior year but I chose to play for another team over them for the simple fact they consistently won sections championships.

And using DLS as a measuring stick for Folsom losing players isn't logic just as SJB stopping MD from recruiting isn't logic. C'mon TR you know DLS beating Folsom has nothing whatsoever to do with Folsom losing players. They're in two different regions in NorCal. Now if they were in the same regions Folsom would definitely lose players to DLS. Facts!

When have the top Bay Area private programs beaten DLS? And once again, if they were in DLS conference they would lose top notch transfers to them also. It's just the nature of the beast. Just because the top Bay Area private programs haven't stopped competing against DLS doesn't mean they shouldn't. I actually like what they're doing. They do a home and away and seek another program for a few years. It seems as if Jesuit is trying to turn their game with Folsom into some type of rivalry or love-fest.:D

Last edited:
Reactions: THEOC89
Do not underestimate the loss of the deep threat, Joe Ngata. He presented a challenge that opened up other parts of the Folsom offense. Let's see if they can replace that.

They haven't faced the Bells since 2007 yet were 2-1 against them. They haven't faced St. Ignatius since 1997 yet were 4-0 in that matchup.
They had a great rivalry going with St. Mary's from 2002 - 2009 with the teams spitting the 8 games.

It seems like a no-brainer to face all the fellow catholic programs from the WCAL and also the Rams.
Totally agree with this and I posted it above.

Now if they were in the same regions Folsom would definitely lose players to DLS. Facts!

When have the top Bay Area private programs b:Deaten DLS? And once again, if they were in DLS conference they would lose top notch transfers to them also. It's just the nature of the beast. Just because the top Bay Area private programs haven't stopped competing against DLS doesn't mean they shouldn't. I actually like what they're doing. They do a home and away and seek another program for a few years.

I think we're finally in alignment on the first point, although I still don't believe Jesuit should ever drop the Folsom game as long as their willing to schedule it with them.

However, I do disagree with you on the point of losing players because they haven't been able to beat them in a while. Sure, DLS picks up transfers from competing schools but they also lose players to those schools too. Not every kid is a complete front runner. And believe it or not, there are competitors out there that want to beat the top dog. Think Bo Jackson turning down Bear Bryant for Auburn because Bear told him that the Tigers hadn't beat the Tide in a decade and wouldn't any time soon. Bo said, "we'll see about that" and proceeded to take down Bama his freshman year.

While most kids aren't Bo Jackson or remotely close as players go, there are a lot of kids just as competitive. While there will always be kids transferring to whatever program is top dog, there are even more kids that choose to play at other proven programs around the area. Hell, Folsom's best players the past few years, other than Badger, aren't even from the Sac area.

Jesuit, Grant Union, Del Oro, Granite Bay, Oak Ridge, Vacaville, St. Mary's, Inderkum, etc. are consistent winners to the point that they'll always have top talent choosing to play for them no matter how many times they lose to another program. Believe that!

Jesuit was more than competitive in 3 of the past 5 games against Folsom. They'll win that game soon. Folsom's not gonna continue on this ride forever. It seems like forever, but it's really only been 7 years that they've been nearly unbeatable in the SJS. With the original architects gone from the program, it won't be long that they come back to earth a bit. Probably in the next season or two. History in the SJS and Sac area all but proves so.

IMO there's no need to be overreactional. Folsom isn't DLS and won't have 40 years of sustained excellence.

It seems as if Jesuit is trying to turn their game with Folsom into some type of rivalry or love-fest.:D

Folsom has won the past 11 meetings, yet the all-time series is only 15-10 in Folsom's favor. At one point, Jesuit won 10 of 12. The tides eventually turned and will turn yet again.

Due to the proximity along the HWY50 corridor and the fact that both are among the best programs of the D1 schools, it's a natural rivalry.

It'll be great if CT builds up Capital Christian to the point that they become a huge thorn in the side for both programs in stealing talent off that HWY50 corridor. It might already be happening.

Last edited:
I think we're finally in alignment on the first point, although I still don't believe Jesuit should ever drop the Folsom game as long as their willing to schedule it with them.
Good stuff as usual TR. Nothing wrong with agreeing to disagree my brother. It's extra late here on the east coast so I'm going to leave this debate here. But rest assure, we'll get at it another day. Late

Reactions: concrete17
Who is starting at QB for Folsom? Also heard a rumor Susac throwing arm is sore and will not play. Don't know if its true or not. I guess we will see.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT