ADVERTISEMENT

Folsom vs Central

A few things about the 2013 dls vs folsom.their defensive captain and d-1 recruit middle linebacker Bailey laolagi and possibly the best lineman to come out of norcal jona williams did not play in that game.both would have in 2014.just saying

Besides it being a total joke to reflect on how 2014's teams would impact a current game. Lots of young talent arrived in the city of Folsom after that year.

Not trying to be a smart ass here, but at what point do you consider a kid having “grown up” in an area? Do kids that move to an area in elementary school count as having grown up in an area? What if they move at the start of middle school? For example I have 7 cousins in the same family in Fresno area; they lived in the Buchanan zone for a long time, then right before the second kid started high school they moved to the Central area and the next like 4 kids graduated from Central. At what point did they become “homegrown”? Again, not being a smart ass I’m just curious as to when a person needs to move somewhere to be “from” there.
Good question and here's my answer. Yes, a kid moving to an area while in elementary is considered growing up there. A kid moving to another area as a 8th grader on is not considered from that area in my opinion. When I grew up in West Fresno by the time I was in the 6th grade I knew every super athlete on that side of Fresno. No matter if they went to Mary Mcleod Bethune elementary, M.L. King elementary, Carver elementary or Western elementary I knew who they were and likewise. When a kid comes into that circle from another area of Fresno or even out of state after that time we viewed them as someone new to the neighborhood. That's the same way we would view them in sports because they're not from West Fresno.

Here's an example, I've been going to Bethune on the West side from grade K-6 (Edison District). You were going to a school on the North East side of town during this time (Clovis West District). I continue my middle schooling on the West side up until the 8th grade and my parents and I decide to transfer to CW middle school. Now at this time you continue to go to the school in your area which happens to be, CW middle school. During the start of the 9th grade season at CW High School I'm eligible to play for their Freshman or JV team. Now you and I are on the same team as 9th graders going out for the same position. I beat you out and become the starter while you become second string behind me. Now would you consider me to have grown up there? I wouldn't and as a matter of fact, I would let it be known that I grew up on the West side not the North Side. I truly hope that helps you to understand why I don't give the kids that move into a different community the home grown label. This matters to many and not just myself.

"The Junkie"

Last edited:
When I love Trojan football says a lot of talent arrived in Folsom after 2014, just what is he referring to? Does he mean families moved in, or ayers transferred in?

U

This is not an accurate statement. I assure you that even IF you consider Jake Browning the “best QB (Folsom has) ever had” (which some, no doubt will), he was a far superior QB in 2014, his Senior season, than he was in 2012 and 2013, the 2 years he matched up against DLS. Many will argue your false statement even further pointing to Mr. California Football and MaxPreps Player of the year, Dano Graves as Folsom’s best ever, And a much better fit to probably challenge such a high level defense as DLS.

It’s also naive to say because a team lost to another 2x previously, “they had their shot”. Anyone who watched Folsom’s 2014 squad know how much better that team was than the previous seasons. I watched Granite Bay battle Folsom pretty well in 2013 and only lose by 2 TDS. The next year, Folsom beat GB 63-0!!! Heck, St Mary’s beat Folsom last season and lost this season. Things change, teams change, outcomes change year I’ve year.

Now I will agree with you that until Folsom proves they can beat DLS on the field, or at least beat some National Level Squads to improve their resume, they will have to settle for watching DLS play in the Open Division. I don’t think anyone on here would argue that point, or the point that DLS deserves the Open nod again this year. DLS has earned their spot over the years IMHO through consistently challenging themselves. While the “woulda should coulda” can get old, to dismiss the simple premise that a Folsom v DLS in 2014 (or this year), Grant v DLS in 2008, Elk Grove v DLS in 1996 ‘might have’ ended in an outcome foreign to Spartans is also short sided.

Get over it...Go North!!

Oh no, it is quite an accurate statement. Just because your opinion is that it is not doesn’t change anything. It seems to me that you’re the one who can’t get “over it” after that diatribe.

For the record grants 2008 team isn’t its best team 2006 with tim Lang was better and the grant vs dls debate started in the 90s outside of Sacramento people didn’t know about grant...football is now a chess game so we are still trying to catch up on a modern scheme before we could just bully our way to wins it’s different now...congrats to folsom on becoming the new “grant” but once we get this spread down we will be back on top because we will always have athletes and size we just gotta put them in space now...even 2014 folsom team couldn’t stop grant from passing the ball. If chad Elliot’s son comes back to grant I wouldn’t be shocked if they beat folsom next year...their record didn’t show how much talent they had

Reactions: nascar624
For the record grants 2008 team isn’t its best team 2006 with tim Lang was better.
Yep I remember the 06 team and remember some of the Grant guys saying in 08 that Grant getting picked was because they got snubbed in 06. Realistlically both teams were awesome and would have been nice if we had the same format than that we have now. Grant would have been able to prove back in 06 that NorCal football does go past DLS, since so many from SoCal only identify with DLS, especially back in 06.

Reactions: Deltadodger
Yep I remember the 06 team and remember some of the Grant guys saying in 08 that Grant getting picked was because they got snubbed in 06. Realistlically both teams were awesome and would have been nice if we had the same format than that we have now. Grant would have been able to prove back in 06 that NorCal football does go past DLS, since so many from SoCal only identify with DLS, especially back in 06.

That’s probably why they did pick them in 08 because that 06 team was really athletic and big but I would’ve picked dls over them too first year state games it would’ve been disrespectful to put any other team in that game..2005 grant team Is probably when the Bay Area finally believed Sacramento plays good football grant beat a really high ranked Valley Christian school...when they played again in 2006 grant won by like 40 and the coach grant was the best team he ever seen. Fast forward to Now we probably one of the last schools moving to a modern offense once the offense gets going we’d be able to keep some great talent

Reactions: nascar624
That’s probably why they did pick them in 08 because that 06 team was really athletic and big but I would’ve picked dls over them too first year state games it would’ve been disrespectful to put any other team in that game..2005 grant team Is probably when the Bay Area finally believed Sacramento plays good football grant beat a really high ranked Valley Christian school...when they played again in 2006 grant won by like 40 and the coach grant was the best team he ever seen. Fast forward to Now we probably one of the last schools moving to a modern offense once the offense gets going we’d be able to keep some great talent

Are they trying to run the spread? If so, why? They have size and athletes, why can’t they win pounding the ball a la Stanford, Michigan? An offense doesn’t have to be spread to be modern.

People in the know knew Sac area played very good high school football.Heck, in the 70’s Bay Area teams were going up to Rancho Cordova in preseason and getting their ass kicked by the Lancers.As was anyone else with the misfortune of having them on the schedule.There were more good teams as well.

Are they trying to run the spread? If so, why? They have size and athletes, why can’t they win pounding the ball a la Stanford, Michigan? An offense doesn’t have to be spread to be modern.

You have to be creative they ran i formation but barely ran play action passes and when they did pass it was either fades or hitches no pass combos...you don’t have to have a spread offense but if you not using the other athletes you have then what’s the point of having them..they also only play cover 1 on defense sometimes it works sometimes they get exposed

You have to be creative they ran i formation but barely ran play action passes and when they did pass it was either fades or hitches no pass combos...you don’t have to have a spread offense but if you not using the other athletes you have then what’s the point of having them..they also only play cover 1 on defense sometimes it works sometimes they get exposed
Are they going to change their offense next year for the SFL?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT