ADVERTISEMENT

Frankie Ferrari Leaving USF

jordan24

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Feb 12, 2002
Anyone know where he is going? Someone commented earlier (Iamgeary?) that he would transfer then return back to USF. Lol! Not sure what program he could go to that would play him if he couldn't get minutes at USF. Interesting...

He's a d2 player. He wouldn't have started a chico state or cal poly Pomona which are 2 of the better d2 schools in the west.
Why is anybody surprised? Not a good recruit for the Dons.

I agree with LL I think him playing well in a watered down pro am may have led him to believe he could play at the d1 level. Nothing wrong with d2 ball.

hoopjunkie- Nothing wrong with that either. Go to Humboldt or somewhere and have a nice career in a good little conference. Robert Duncan from Granite Bay HS who I thought could play in the WCC was just named ALL West Regional for Chico State after having a great soph campaign. He's bigger and more athletic than Frankie. He has found a niche and is making the most of it.

USF jumped on the bandwagon when he caught fire in the summer instead of looking at his whole body of work. Probably should have worked harder to get Dunbar to stay home.

Ferrari is dfntly a solid PG.. I think people need to stop with the he can play in this or that conference. That's just ignorant! Who are we to say if a kid can play in a certain conference? I was always under the impression it was about need or fit at the given time.

totally agree on that statement. Don't know what USF is doing but it seems like they ignore local talent consistently.

Sac st is losing all their guards, he can play in the big sky. Even if he goes juco, big sky is the best it could possibly get. Should try to find a low major d1 to take him.

I don't think there is anything wrong with saying he can't play at that level. Streak is right USF didn't look at his whole body of work. Nothing ignorant about playing at Cal Poly Pomona.

Yeah, this was a no brainer guys. I've been around basketball my entire life. Coaching/Recruiting/playing etc. Nobody roots for the "little guy' more than me. I'm just very realistic and a lot of people on this site aren't. Like last year when I said Tyler Jennings from CC wasn't a D1 player. Oh boy... All sorts of pissed off people. Guess what.... He ended up at William Jessup. Good for him but that is a far cry from D1. Find the spot that is right for you that is all.

USF is a good school too. Big time $ and a great education. Too bad people don't look at that angle either.

Jiday Ugbaja (Riordan) was a freshman on Sac St. this season. Is he one of the guards who are leaving or are you talking about graduating seniors?
Originally posted by doodiejones:

Sac st is losing all their guards, he can play in the big sky. Even if he goes juco, big sky is the best it could possibly get. Should try to find a low major d1 to take him.

The conference tag can be too simple because saying someone can play in the MWC is a wide net from SDSU to San Jose State. It also has to be about fit if you want to have a successful college career.

Time out ...wait a minute.. Frankie definitely can play at USF.He is a freshman. With HS body. If he get put some pounds on, FF will be fine. Not sure why he is transferring but hundreds of freshman leave for various reason yearly. Lets not pour down on the kid to soon. Mark T from SRV struggled early. It takes time for most freshmen to going,so everyone might want to stop the DOOM and GLOOM..

Reactions: notyogirl
LL Yeah its an expensive school, but the Ferrari's are not hurting in the money department. He's already probably set for life.

No no no, didnt they claim "hardship" for leaving Riordan after his junior year ;) LOL

I don't know the kids $$ situation. I do know from having a long legacy of USF family members that its a great school with a big time Alumni. I only hope he finds a good school where he can play. That is what its all about.

Do you guys find it interesting that St Mary's College is highly successfull year in and out and doesn't really go after these "tweener" local kids. Locally the best player they've had beside the big kid now (waldow) is Beau from DLS but he was 6"7 and coming from Alloco knew how to play the game. Smmons transfered from Wash and I never thought that was a good fit. He has done really well at St Marys. Whatever Randy Bennett is doing his secret sauce is doing well. I rarely here him offering marginal players like USF.

I just don't see a 5"10 155 kid "bulking up" or filling out all that much. Mark was 6"9 and athletic going into USF. You can't compare the 2.

The kid can play basketball. He is a D1 player without a doubt. He needs to find a place that fits. Going to a JC for a year seems like the best option for now. It will give him time to develop physically. For those to call him a marginal player is a insult. He proved himself night after night in HS. USF offered him a scholarship because he deserved it!

Marginal D1 player.. Not an insult the truth. I watched him play in Norcal Finals against Newman. He was maybe a 3rd option on that Riordan team and didn't stand out. Newman PG who was just a solid HS player outplayed him. Sorry when I go to games that have D1 players I can pick them out in warmups.

Also D1 scholarships aren't 4 year binding commitments. They might have met at season end and said best to part ways. Happens all the time.

LL St. Mary's had a kid from Hayward High School Diamon Simpson who I might argue was the best local kid. I'm biased of course, but he finished as their leading rebounder and is up there in points and blocked shots as well. He had a cup of coffee in the league and has played overseas for years. I also just remembered Paul Marigney a kid from Oakland who had quite a career there as well. Of course let's not forget about Frank Knight although that was a different era.
This post was edited on 3/25 10:52 AM by Defender4212

A big fish in a small pond at Burlingame. The WCAL year should have opened a few eyes. It says more for the lack of recruitment IQ for Rex Walters more than anything else.

Kudos for gaining a USF scholarship, but the speed, height, tempo and day to day basis just wasnt a great fit. Im not a basketball "expert" but I do recognized he was going to have speed, height issues at USF. There are a dime a dozen guys at that level. If he was happy with a scholarship, being a role player and obtaining a USF diploma, he should have stayed. Kudos to him for making the big decision to find a better college environment for himself. Sometimes you have to take a step back to move forward. I wish him all the best.

Great call on Simpson. He had an awesome career and I just forgot about him. He had a tremendous career.

City- Totally agree with you. Pretty simple one to see.

Simpson was not only a hell of a player but an even better kid. Love seeing bay area talent staying local. Theo Robertson had a nice career at both De La Salle and Cal & McArthur had a nice run at Santa Clara. Omar Samhan had a really nice career at both San Ramon as well as St. Mary's.

Ferrari is a talented PG with a extremely High IQ. I agree that its more about the "fit" as appose to the conference..Even with most scholarships being year to year, Im sure USF wanted him back...Im not sure he can get something better than USF with one year of JUCO, but if he passed up a Great education to prove that he can hold his own at the D1 level, this is a testament to how much he loves the game, and my hats goes off to him...

Riordan alum, Rob Jones, finished a very successful college basketball career at St. Mary's and was a key player in their upset of UConn in the first round of the NCAA's a few years ago and was integral part of the Gaels for their 2012 WCC Crown ousting Gonzaga. He started at USD and made all-Freshman team, but transferred to St. Mary's to stay close to his dad, who was severely ill at the time. 6-6 kid who one local newspaper scribe described his game similar to Charles Barkley. High motor, quick hops and always around the ball. Highly recruited by Notre Dame and USC to play football as a tight end. Jim Harbaugh even wanted him to go out for the USD team at the time and was later invited to the Niners and Vikings rookie camp, but turned them both down to play hoops abroad.
Originally posted by larry legend33:

Do you guys find it interesting that St Mary's College is highly successfull year in and out and doesn't really go after these "tweener" local kids. Locally the best player they've had beside the big kid now (waldow) is Beau from DLS but he was 6"7 and coming from Alloco knew how to play the game. Smmons transfered from Wash and I never thought that was a good fit. He has done really well at St Marys. Whatever Randy Bennett is doing his secret sauce is doing well. I rarely here him offering marginal players like USF.

I just don't see a 5"10 155 kid "bulking up" or filling out all that much. Mark was 6"9 and athletic going into USF. You can't compare the 2.

This post was edited on 3/25 2:21 PM by jordan24

Don't forget Ian O'leary from Woodland Christian. Had a nice career at St. Mary's. I had the pleasure of coaching him for 2 years in travel ball.

@Larry,

if your going to talk about my son, please get the facts correct. He ended up playing at William Jessup and really enjoyed it, however, you make it sound as if he did not have other options in terms of scholarships which is wrong. You so strongly made the comment that he was not a division 1 player when he did have the opportunity to play at division 1 schools. If you actualy knew Tyler, you would know that he was either going to play at BYU or another school that offered a christ centered education. The level of play was not a factor as several schools that recruited him found out. Chico State has a great basketball program that recruited Tyler very hard, but it was not a place that he wanted to attent school at, so he politely told them he wasn't interested and they moved on and signed a solid player in Jalen MacFerrin. His intent all along was to attend and play at BYU. Dave Rose has been watching him play since his freshman year in high school. He was not offered a scholarship to play there. He was offered a preferred walk on spot on the roster with the opportunity to earn a full ride. He had other offers from both D2 schools and he had 2 D1 schools that were ready to offer if they thought he would go there. As you might know or not know, he ended up verbally committing to BYU Hawaii which is a good D2 program. Shortly before he would have signed, their coach called and said that BYU Hawaii had voted to cancel their intercollegiate athletic program. The same thing happened to BYU Idaho. They are finishing out their committment to their current athletes and then athletics will no longer exist there. It was because of this that Tyler ended up playing at WJU. It ended up being a blessing for our family that he played so close to home. He played alot as a freshman in a very competitive conference in the GSAC and had great coaches and great teammates.

For whatever reason, you have harshly judged my son. Most of the things you have said have not been accurate. I think you have harshly judged sheldon and "Heat" and others on this board. Sheldon may have made some mistakes going into last year, but there 2013 graduating class may have been the most talented basketball class ever in the history of Sacramento and they provided great entertainment and brought respect statewide to Sacramento. They played in a D1 state championship in 2012 and then made it to the open norcal championship game in 2013. Instead of bashing them, you should be thanking them. Sheldon has forced other programs to up their games which makes the Sacramento area better.

It's very easy to judge when you don't have to reveal your identity. I don't think you would be saying the things you say the same way if everyone knew your identity. There is no accountability for the things you say because you don't have to reveal who you are.

btw, frankie ferrari is a division 1 player. usf may not be the best fit, hence the transfer. they also have a freshman point guard in front of him thats pretty good as well. Try celebrating the fact that all these kids including my son are getting a free education and playing the game that they love and the game that we all claim to love too.

Jason Jennings

Last thing, the 2014 class has some very good point guards in that class. Trevor D, Joey F, Frankie, Tyler, Jalen M, Mason, Jalen C. All playing college basketball at some level. All great kids too.

Coach- WZJ- With all due respect your are a totally bias party with regards to your son who I always thought was a fine player just not a D1 player. It sounds like he found a home at Wiliam Jessup which I stated was what its all about. I stand by my statement. BYU? Really? Tyler Haws or Kyle Collingsworth backup….. Common. I'm going to call them how I see them. You may not like what you hear but daddy ball ends in college unless your Bryce Alford but he has game.

Rob Jones was a great call. He was an animal at Riordan and he probably could have made it on the gridiron. He was a 6"5 240 force but could run and jump like a much lighter player. I enjoyed watching him in HS and College.

PAL95 posted on 3/25/2015...

LL Yeah its an expensive school, but the Ferrari's are not hurting in the money department. He's already probably set for life.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

It all makes sense now....Initially thinking of a fanatic dad but....

Just a few thoughts for some feedback. Ferrari a good player no doubt, but not a standout for the WCAL while at Riordan.
Back to BGame & had a solid final year in PAL. Are there any similarities from the more knowledgeable posters as to Ferrari out of BGame & Drew Shiller? Both good athletes with Drew being the obvious better of the 2 as the CA State HS athlete of the year his senior year [How do you top that?]. Drew altho very fast was undersized as well & many thought his best shot was D-II in football. The local BB people I knew at the time said Drew would not match up well at USF with the lightning fast 6'0-6'2 guards they were recruiting at the time & apparently they knew much more than I did. Drew like Frankie was "one & done" at USF and finished his athletic career at Stanford as a back-up player. To me the situatons seem very similar if that while both starred in a league not considered among the top leagues in NorCal, they struggled at the next level. Taking a step further where does Peter Papageorge also from BGame fit in among these 2? Peter seemed to have adapted possibly the best of the 3 at the next level from HS? Not really sure so curious about other opinions.

A guard who was just as good and if not better than Schiller and Ferrari out of BGame high was Dan Uharriet. He was a D1 talent on the football field and was athletic as they come on the hoop court. Im talking about a 6-1 kid doing 360's . He was a great scorer, but I dont know where he landed. All three of these guards were very good highschool talents.

Originally posted by lunardisbasketball:
Drew Shiller was the starting point guard his senior year,get your facts right.
Looked up & Drew started 15 of 32 games although the games I remember he had limited minutes with top game being 33 minutes. His ppg senior season was 7.5 points per game & 2.8 rebounds, Junior year avg 2.5 ppg off the bench & soph 3.3 ppg off the bench. At USF as frosh played in all 28 games and had 4.4 ppg.

This post was edited on 3/26 10:17 AM by Rmbr26

Drew Shiller was far and away a better basketball player than Ferrari. Even though he was lean, Drew was fundamentally sound and played tremendous defense and executed without a lot of flash. He was also the starting pg for the Oakland Soldiers the year they had Theo Robertson (DLS) and Larry Gurganious. The fact he was a 3-sport star (starting qb-football, basketball and baseball) and had his HS jersey retired makes his credentials more impressive. He transferred from USF to Stanford. How many athletes can make that claim?
Originally posted by Rmbr26:
Just a few thoughts for some feedback. Ferrari a good player no doubt, but not a standout for the WCAL while at Riordan.
Back to BGame & had a solid final year in PAL. Are there any similarities from the more knowledgeable posters as to Ferrari out of BGame & Drew Shiller? Both good athletes with Drew being the obvious better of the 2 as the CA State HS athlete of the year his senior year [How do you top that?]. Drew altho very fast was undersized as well & many thought his best shot was D-II in football. The local BB people I knew at the time said Drew would not match up well at USF with the lightning fast 6'0-6'2 guards they were recruiting at the time & apparently they knew much more than I did. Drew like Frankie was "one & done" at USF and finished his athletic career at Stanford as a back-up player. To me the situatons seem very similar if that while both starred in a league not considered among the top leagues in NorCal, they struggled at the next level. Taking a step further where does Peter Papageorge also from BGame fit in among these 2? Peter seemed to have adapted possibly the best of the 3 at the next level from HS? Not really sure so curious about other opinions.

Jordan24- Completely agree with you. Drew was one of the best athletes Norcal has seen in years. I've never seen such an average player get so much press regarding Frankie. Jesus. We got a kidd (RABB) who is going to be lottery pick in 2 years for god sake.

Interesting info Jordan & Larry as I never followed BB quite as much as football [until a few yrs ago]. Shiller was exceptional on the football field & had very good instincts as well as leadership abilities [Drew besides QB was the punter, FG kicker, PAT's & kicked-off]. I believe at one time he said his favorite sport was basketball which is why I guess he stuck with it. As for the 3 sports he excelled in, I thought at that time his best bet at the next level was in FB. So no one's mentioned Peter Pappageorge & where he fits in the discussion of the 3 players from Burlingame[?]

Wondering......Was Shiller on the court at the end of most games for Dawkins during crunch time?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT