ADVERTISEMENT

Fun Pick'em for NorCals Selection Regional Teams. cut off 12:00N for picks

PhotoGuy_271

Sports Fanatic
Mar 19, 2016
Bay Area, Nor Cal
Let's have a Pick'em for fun contest before the selections for the NorCals are announced.
Whoever picks the most correct matchups for all the divisions wins.
Lets give it a go! Good luck I know it's something last min.

Open Division
De La Salle (Concord) 11-1

Division 1-AA
Folsom 14-0 vs. Central (Fresno) 12-1

Division 1-A
Pittsburg 8-2 vs. Granite Bay 12-2

Division 2-AA
Tulare 13-0 vs. Serra (San Mateo) 11-2

Division 2-A
Manteca 12-2 vs. St. Francis (Mountain View) 9-4

Division 3-AA
Marin Catholic (Kentfield) 12-0 vs. Shasta (Redding) 11-1

Division 3-A
Half Moon Bay 13-0 vs. Sutter 12-1

Division 4-AA
Placer (Auburn) 12-1 vs. Salinas 12-2

Division 4-A
Milpitas 11-1 vs. Campolindo (Moraga) 9-4

Division 5AA
McClymonds (Oakland) 12-0 vs. Bear River (Lake of the Pines) 10-3

Division 5-A
East Nicolaus 12-0 vs. Fortuna 12-2

Division 6AA
Winner of Play-In Game Strathmore 14-0 vs. St. Patrick/St. Vincent (Vallejo) 11-1

Division 6-A
Rio Vista 9-3 vs. Galileo (San Francisco) 9-2

Note: NorCal section champions not be eligible for the CIF bowls are from NCS D1, CCS D4 and CCS D5. Those teams are Liberty of Brentwood (11-2), Christopher of Gilroy (11-2) and Gilroy (13-0).

Per CalHiSports Mark Tennis

Last edited:
Where are you placing the CCS Open I champ Salinas?

Possibly your missing division 4AA is Placer vs Salinas?

Last edited:
Reactions: PhotoGuy_271
FJ101,looking forward to it.I can't predict as I haven't really followed ccs or ncs that much,just what I hear and read from all of you.I'm mostly a SJS guy,even though back in the day I attended BOD frosh soph yrs before attending Placer.But I am well entertained and am gaining knowledge about these ccs and ncs teams through all of your posts....good info from all!

Open Division
DLS
D1-AA
Central vs Folsom
D1-A
GB vs Pitts
D2-AA
Turlare vs Serra
D2-A
SF vs Manteca
D3-AA
Shasta vs MC
D3-A
Salinas vs Placer
D4-AA
Campolindo vs Milpitas
D4-A
Sutter vs HMB
D5AA
BR vs Mack
D5-A
Fortuna vs EN
D6AA
Stratmore vs SPSV
D6-A
RV vs Galileo

The teams I've watched.
Folsom will smash central Fresno. I say 49-21. Too much Ngata and bennett.
Granite Bay playing better than anybody right now. I say they win 14-10. Best D in NorCal.
MC all over Shasta. Absolute boat race. NCS D3 could have 4 teams playing.

MC all over Shasta. Absolute boat race. NCS D3 could have 4 teams playing.

My wife is a Shasta alum and I’m an Max alum would be a fun matchup! I saw Shasta bear Chico and I think their run offense could be give MC fits, MC defense been exposed badly in the playoffs but Petras and His WRs are special

How did McClymonds get an away game with East Nichols a team they beat last year and are state champions... and on their home field.... something isn't right with that.

I don’t think there is any criteria / bylaws for what happened last year when they select the hosts sites for the games.

I thought Serra's placement was low. This has them as the seventh best team in NorCal. I understand you don't want a rematch with Pitt (their best spot), but should that determine a different division?

How did McClymonds get an away game with East Nichols a team they beat last year and are state champions... and on their home field.... something isn't right with that.
Hey Photoguy, the only thing I can think of is the committee is giving EN the home field advantage this year since they gave it to Mack last year @ Chabot College. Mack had a 11-1 record coming into the game against EN last year while EN came into the game with a 13-0 record. This year the tables are turned whereas EN has a the same 13-0 record as last season while Mack has a 12-0 record this season. Seems to me it would be fair to give EN some home cooking this year.

I thought Serra's placement was low. This has them as the seventh best team in NorCal. I understand you don't want a rematch with Pitt (their best spot), but should that determine a different division?
I agree. Anything but playing a Division-III team in the Central Valley. That was a bad decision on the committee's part in my opinion. And if Serra played Pitt again I would give the advantage to Serra this time. Would have been a better game and decision.

I think host sites are based on combination of best facilities and spreading the wealth among the sections. Surprised the Northern Section got two home games and Sutter goes on the road while HMB gets he benefit of other CCS teams going on the road.

Reactions: EN_FB_Alum
How does a 12-1 SJS D4 winner Placer play an 11-2 CCS D1 winner Salinas number one,and has to go on the road to play them number two?Placer home maybe not cif accommodating I understand but why not a neutral site somewhere in between,this is a 3 hr 22 min drive for the boys from the hill.

Reactions: Oldguy2017
Better question is how did EN get bumped up to D5AA after losing in D5A last year.
Better question is how did EN get bumped up to D5AA after losing in D5A last year.
Good
Good question, I was pretty sure they were 5A with Bear River.... You're guess is good as mine is how they come up with these parings. It would have been better for the North if they had did it different.

Hey Photoguy, the only thing I can think of is the committee is giving EN the home field advantage this year since they gave it to Mack last year @ Chabot College. Mack had a 11-1 record coming into the game against EN last year while EN came into the game with a 13-0 record. This year the tables are turned whereas EN has a the same 13-0 record as last season while Mack has a 12-0 record this season. Seems to me it would be fair to give EN some home cooking this year.
You're right FootballJunckie after looking back at it. I wish they had kept it on a Saturday like they did when EN play at Chabot.. Sat. is much easier to travel and more fans can make the game,, instead of a Friday night.. It would be better for the fans and teams traveling..but that how the cards fell. so be it. :)

You're right FootballJunckie after looking back at it. I wish they had kept it on a Saturday like they did when EN play at Chabot.. Sat. is much easier to travel and more fans can make the game,, instead of a Friday night.. It would be better for the fans and teams traveling..but that how the cards fell. so be it. :)
Good luck to both teams. This should be a very good game.

There are 6 quality teams for 5 divisional placements. Pitt's selection for the 1A game is fully warranted, so CIF doesn't want a rematch. Serra's the odd-team-out. I don't really know that Granite Bay is better than the Padres, but their placement opposite the Pirates makes sense.

I think host sites are based on combination of best facilities and spreading the wealth among the sections. Surprised the Northern Section got two home games and Sutter goes on the road while HMB gets he benefit of other CCS teams going on the road.
I think these games are seeded within each division with one caveat... the runner-up teams will always travel. The home teams are the higher seeds, from what I can tell.

How does a 12-1 SJS D4 winner Placer play an 11-2 CCS D1 winner Salinas number one,and has to go on the road to play them number two?Placer home maybe not cif accommodating I understand but why not a neutral site somewhere in between,this is a 3 hr 22 min drive for the boys from the hill.

Placer had designated Del Oro for alternate field. Whining a little about Placer playing a D1 but i thought rankings were the main concideration on home games?

Placer had designated Del Oro for alternate field. Whining a little about Placer playing a D1 but i thought rankings were the main concideration on home games?
Seeds, yes. It appears Salinas was seeded higher.

No one, except the commissioners, really knows how they're determined.

I can tell you that Sutter is just happy to still be blessed with a team good enough to be still playing football in December. Home game, Road game it does not matter. This is Sutters 5th Regional game in 6 years and they have faced the likes of Marin Catholic, Campolindo, Sierra, Oakdale and now Half Moon Bay. This season breaks the tie of home and away. They played in MC in Oroville (basically a home game), Campolindo (Road game), Sierra (at River Valley ( Home game) last year Oakdale (at the corral). Would Sutter like to be closer to home? Sure they would but they are not going to fret over having to travel. They will take that drive and give it all they got from the second they get off the nice comfy charter bus. The picks are in, they are final,now its just time to prepare and play some football.

There are 6 quality teams for 5 divisional placements. Pitt's selection for the 1A game is fully warranted, so CIF doesn't want a rematch. Serra's the odd-team-out. I don't really know that Granite Bay is better than the Padres, but their placement opposite the Pirates makes sense.
$$$$$$$

I think these games are seeded within each division with one caveat... the runner-up teams will always travel. The home teams are the higher seeds, from what I can tell.

Yes I agree. My point is that I think the seeds can be manufactured to balance out the host sites. And I have no problem with runner-ups hitting the road.

I don't think they really care about who is "seeded" higher, its all about spacing the games out over the state to maximize gate proceeds. CIF is all about that $$$

I don't think they really care about who is "seeded" higher, its all about spacing the games out over the state to maximize gate proceeds. CIF is all about that $$$
People say this a lot, but there's no actual evidence of it whatsoever.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT