ADVERTISEMENT

Geico bowl series

ararar

Hall of Famer
Dec 8, 2012
Some of you may be familiar with this event that pits state champions from states against each in late December.At the moment they have 8 states that allow another game after their state championship has been decided.

Interesting news about California regarding this event.The national board had a Q & A with the company that organizes this series(Paragon) and this what they had to say.

RegardingCalifornia we have had conversations with the CIF and they are open-minded about the possibility down the road, but it’s a complicated process to change or overrule the bylaw – the State Office cannot just change their no-post-season play rule. According to our understanding they would 1) need a school to submit a rules change and then 2) have that rules change go through a vote of all 1,580 member schools. Some schools who could qualify are hesitant to play a plus 1 game after the CIF Bowl Game which was only created a few years ago. However, there are some CIF schools interested in playing and we intend to work with them to see if the by-laws can be changed in the next few years.

So if/when they get the by law changed the open champion would qualify to play another state champ.How do you all feel about such a game?

I think that's what preseason is for. I know it's not the same, but seeing State champs play that late in the year is probably a less exciting prospect to both fans and the teams themselves than to see two of last year's State Champs see each other in preseason. And where does this end... a National title playoff on January 28th? I just think it's a bit much at the end of a very long football season for HS kids.

I think that's what preseason is for. I know it's not the same, but seeing State champs play that late in the year is probably a less exciting prospect to both fans and the teams themselves than to see two of last year's State Champs see each other in preseason. And where does this end... a National title playoff on January 28th? I just think it's a bit much at the end of a very long football season for HS kids.

I asked that question and they don’t see this as a tournament.They do see it as an opportunity to have #1 vs #2 at the end of the year.If they could consistently get a game like that they might have something

They guy from Paragon said they do not want to have the games that late. They take place the week after the bowl games, so it would only extend the season by a week. It's obviously not for everybody, but the state should at least leave it up to the team that wins the Open or the D1 AA winner, if the open winner decides to pass.

Reactions: Sacchiefs
IMHO, it makes my stomach turn. Yet ANOTHER opportunity for someone to profit on the backs of uncompensated athletes. We don't often discuss the inequity and risk of being an NCAA athlete (and I avoid the topic usually) but if you walk in to any D1 stadium on a Saturday, there is only 1 group that has ZERO rights to compensation should they be injured....the athletes! They aren't even guaranteed their scholarship package!

So at a time when some prominent coaches are extolling the benefits of a multi-sport athlete, we are going to EXTEND the season another week! Literally over half the school year dedicated to a single sport? For the benefit of who? Is there ANY possible upside to a participant? Is an unknown going to suddenly have his door beaten down by Sabban based on his performance in a nationally televised HS game (competing with the college bowl games no less) The ONLY benefit of such an event would be the pockets of the sponsors and the old curmudgeons on boards like this talking $hit about HS kids!!

Shame on ANY administrator entrusted with the supervision of HS students for even considering such a ridiculous proposal. SMFH

Paragon in Hindi essentially “excellence, with no equal.”
If ever there were a RICO flavor with HSFB, it’s Paragon and ESPN.

Champion vs champion! Love it! I watched the bowl games a couple of years ago when chandler, az played a southern team called val something from Mississippi or Louisiana. Bingham, ut also played that same day against a florida champion, st thomas Aquinas. I was suprised to see an our ex grant d-cordinator coaching special teams for Aquinas. Small world i guess. Anyways id love to see a cali champ play in the series one day. Im glad to see they are at least talking about it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT