ADVERTISEMENT

Granite Bay vs Woodcreek

The game will be over in the 1st qtr. Woodcreek by 25+. I say woodcreek runs the table in league and is my pick for Norcal Open champ.

Woodcreek looks real tough right now. Good guard play, some added size in Cagle and having an All-American big doesn't hurt either.

I think the top three of Sheldon, Woodcreek and Salesian have separated themselves from NorCal.

Agree Streak. All 3 of those teams are superior to the rest of the pack. But I don't see salesian being a threat to Woodcreek. They don't match up well at all. No bigs at all. Didn't they already lose by 30 to them?

Like I said woodcreek would win by 25+. In fact I expect this results for all the league games. I've watched a lot of HS hoops and this is one of the better teams I've seen around Norcal especially being a public school. They get after you defensively and there coaches challenge each player. Sit near there bench and its really interesting to watch all the games within the game.

Shocky, I didn't catch the stats for this one on brown. But he gets 25 and 20 effortlessly.

Like I said woodcreek would win by 25+. In fact I expect this results for all the league games. I've watched a lot of HS hoops and this is one of the better teams I've seen around Norcal especially being a public school. They get after you defensively and there coaches challenge each player. Sit near there bench and its really interesting to watch all the games within the game.

Shocky, I didn't catch the stats for this one on brown. But he gets 25 and 20 effortlessly.

thx larry, you are tireless, hope you drive a prius with your crazy azz hs bb schedule
http://bearinsider.com/forums/showt...-monster-class-deux&p=842799988#post842799988

Last edited:
Reactions: larry legend33
Ha ha.. Your bears could be real good if they can keep this local kid at home. Would love to see him at CAL.

I watched Rabb quite a bit growing up at BOD and haven't seen Jordan Brown as much but I really think Brown is a more skilled and flexible player at this stage in his career. I also think Rabb has done nothing for his NBA standings by staying at CAL. I could be wrong but I think he was a higher pick last year. He was a 13 and 9 guy last year and he's a 15 and 10 guy this year.

Here is my take on the 2.

Brown faces up and plays from 15-18 feet out much better.
Brown handles the ball and runs the court better.
Brown shoots it better. Better stroke.
Brown can play the 3 and 4.
Brown scores a lot easier than Rabb did. Much more fluid offensively. Brown is very good off the 2nd and 3rd miss. He is excellent at tipping the ball to himself.

Rabb definitely more back to basket player so in the post he's stronger.
Rabb uses both hands very well. He is almost equally as strong going left and right.
(pretty unique skill set)
Rabb is more aggressive. But I think that is a knock on both kids because both can play soft at times.

Both of them aren't elite shot blockers but Brown is probably better than Rabb. Rabb frame isn't that strong so its going to be tough for him to establish position in the NBA at 215-220. Needs to bulk.

Ceiling seems higher with Brown than Rabb. Both are pro's for sure.

I watched Rabb quite a bit growing up at BOD and haven't seen Jordan Brown as much but I really think Brown is a more skilled and flexible player at this stage in his career. I also think Rabb has done nothing for his NBA standings by staying at CAL. I could be wrong but I think he was a higher pick last year. He was a 13 and 9 guy last year and he's a 15 and 10 guy this year.

Brown scores a lot easier than Rabb did. Much more fluid offensively. Brown is very good off the 2nd and 3rd miss. He is excellent at tipping the ball to himself.

Rabb uses both hands very well. He is almost equally as strong going left and right.
Rabb is more aggressive. But I think that is a knock on both kids because both can play soft at times.

Both of them aren't elite shot blockers but Brown is probably better than Rabb. Rabb frame isn't that strong so its going to be tough for him to establish position in the NBA at 215-220. Needs to bulk.

appreciate all your insights as nor cal's high school guru, looking forward to meeting you in person in the future

richard midgley (now a scout with the atlanta hawks) has shared with me his thoughts & too & his views are close to yours

as someone who has literally seen every second of ivan's college career in person, it was a much bigger setback than has been discussed his contracting mono this summer...rabb has fought back without complaining but he lost strength as part of the ordeal

two very special players & true student athletes, jordan got a 3.5 gpa

Shocky thx appreciate that. I'm in the bay quite a bit. We should def meet up. Maybe a Cal game?
Midgley played on the one of the best teams in Norcal history at Modesto Christian. I loved watching him alongside Chuck Hayes, David Paris, and Marc Pratt. He was a special player at Cal too in addition to coaching at MC. I'm sure he will be a great scout as well.
Rabb has a lot going for him. He seems like a great person and carries himself well on the court. Hope he gets his strength back because I would love to see the Bears make a run and get into the big dance.

I think you are pretty much spot on, I only disagree with at this point there is no way Brown can guard the 3 position at the next level. I would say Rabb better pure athlete at this point as well. That said I think Jordan has bit higher ceiling and don't think any college program can get a better kid (off and on the court). He always reminds me of Tim Duncan when see him play

The big fundamental is a great comparison. (Timmy D). Brown is def more basketball player than athlete which is rather refreshing. Both are fantastic.

Streak....Cagle was in the lineup last season as a Sophomore.

Like the Brown assessments....told a broadcaster friend of mine recently that for sure this kid is the best big out of the Sac region since Bill Cartwright in '75.

Reactions: treshon
As much as I love Brown, Mr. "Bill" might be in his own league. All american at USF and I think he's still the leading scoring in school history. 3x WCC player of the year. Dons averaged 24 wins a year while he was there. 3rd pick in the NBA draft. 3x NBA champ. Played 16 years in the league. All star.... List goes on and on. Cartwright was gigantic too. 7'2. A true 5. I use to go to his camps at Sonoma State University as a kid. He was special. Always holds a high place in my heart. He was the ultimate professional.

Brown is probably more skilled and they are really different players. I almost don't consider Brown a big. More of a 4 who can stretch it.

larry, would love to get you to a cal game, there are only 4 home games left this season so we might be looking at an early season game next season in november

agreed re: richard midgley, great guy...midgley, lou richie & theo robertson are all close friends...would love to see a cal staff with those guys, they would recruit nor cal hard

but we're real happy with coach martin now, straight shooter who values education & gene keady style tough d basketball which is kinda unique for west coast d1 schools

As much as I love Brown, Mr. "Bill" might be in his own league. All american at USF and I think he's still the leading scoring in school history. 3x WCC player of the year. Dons averaged 24 wins a year while he was there. 3rd pick in the NBA draft. 3x NBA champ. Played 16 years in the league. All star.... List goes on and on. Cartwright was gigantic too. 7'2. A true 5. I use to go to his camps at Sonoma State University as a kid. He was special. Always holds a high place in my heart. He was the ultimate professional.

Brown is probably more skilled and they are really different players. I almost don't consider Brown a big. More of a 4 who can stretch it.

Great points all Larry.......just saying that for a player around the 7-foot mark he is the best since Cartwright out of the Sac area. Remember Bill well and saw him in that last non-CIF TOC in '75 vs. Berkeley High and the electric Gene Ransom as a fifth grader, and Cartwright was an UNBELIEVABLE player.

Not sure if it can be accessed here any longer, but I wrote a piece for this site about 10 years ago regarding that game as a part of a series I called "Rewind."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT