ADVERTISEMENT

Gridley, Day 2

Salesian sinks an FT... Radell fouled on a shot. FT miss... FT made. Campo goes into fullcourt press, Salesian steps OB. Callas nails a 3! 62-55... wild exchange of possessions, then Radell puts one back in... 62-57. 5:12 left.

Cougars rebound a Pride miss... Aidan for 3... GOOD! Radell with a piutbck after a turnover... Tied at 62!

Salesian scores inside... Aidan with another twisty turny move to tie it.. #3 nails a. For the Pride. Carter with an amazing under-basket flip shhot to get back to within 1... 67-66 Pride. 3:12 left.

Brinkman nails a long 2... Cougs can’t return the favor.. wild play results in a Coug foul. 2:22 left. Cougs down 3, but Sawyer scores inside... 71-66. Cougs ball, 1:37 left...

Aidan with a gorgeous driving layup, 71-68... time out Cougs. 1:27 left... Big play needed...

Cougs get that needed stop... Offensive play results in a 3 by Callas... No good. Salesian ball, 33 secnds left... They get across the time line and Cougs foul. 1 and 1... First one goes... Second onealso goes. Carter 3... JUST off. Sawyer fouled on rebound. 73-68. 15 seconds left...Sawyer’s FT is true, and his second MISSES!! Aidan takes a 3 from Live Oak... GOOD! 74-71, time out 8 seconds left... Salesian ball.

Salesian very nearly throws away the inbounds.. but Bell catches up to it and throws inside to Sawyer, who is hacked. FT good... That ices it... Final is 76-71. One heck of a game!

Reactions: BadBucks
Two great semi final games tonight what a Performance by Dublin they came out
swinging and then showed some good poise when riordan made there run. The
balance Dublin had was the key with roy,
Saunders and both Jackson's all in double figures. salesian campo was also quite a game what a second half by salesian they took there defense to another level and that
Tejon sawyer is just a beast down low to
deal with also there freshmen Anderson
Is a real nice young player should be a great game tomorrow with 2 very good teams in the ship.

Gaels vs Salesian! Let’s Gooo!!! Good luck to both squads. Gaels and Salesian played in the Summer, granted not full squads represented in Summer but Salesian won by a point. It was a fast paced defensive battle. Wouldn’t expect anything less tonight. GO GAELS!

Reactions: DonniePeckerwood
Tejon Sawyer is an underrated player. He’s got a great build, plays great and does all the little things right. Have no idea why he hasn’t gotten more offers yet.

Dublin looses Beasley and gets better? Seems very strange, but that team is playing with a huge chip on its shoulder!

Championship should be a good one!

I watched on the stream and those were two very good semifinal games.
What stood out from both Dublin and Salesian were great coaching, defense, intensity and everyone involved in the offense. You could also see the game experience and confidence that was displayed from these 2 teams. Managing the clock, rotating and finding the open man, limiting unforced turnovers, etc.
Riordan appears the team with the least big game experience and it showed at times. Yes, Riordan 2 great guards did not appear 100%, but more reason to get everyone involved in the offense instead of standing around. Good adjustment in the second half as this became evident in their comeback attempt. The stream announcers made a great point about Riordan's size should easily be the advantage, but it's become clear that they are lean on big game experience going up against talented and physical kids 3-6 inches shorter. Teams are figuring out to shut down the guards and force the big men to deliver. Lots of breakdowns on defense. This should improve as the season goes on under the tutelage of the coaching staff.
Campo played a very good game against Salesian. Both teams have big game experience. Salesian's team speed, defense and offensive execution made the difference. Sawyer is a beast down low using his body and skill to finish his shots. He's got a good post game when the offense sets him up in space down low. He got a lot of nice pick and rolls where he simply walled off his defender to get the open layup.
Tonight's 3rd place and Championship games will be must-see games!

Last edited:
Tejon Sawyer is an underrated player. He’s got a great build, plays great and does all the little things right. Have no idea why he hasn’t gotten more offers yet.

Dublin looses Beasley and gets better? Seems very strange, but that team is playing with a huge chip on its shoulder!

Championship should be a good one!

Nothing strange about it. It's addition by subtraction. Doughterty Valley gets a high power scorer that gives them strength. Dublin gets to see other players get chance to show themselves capable, and improve.

Here's wishing you great hoops

@Marcskit I agree, but I still think it's extremely rare to see a teams best player leave and the team remains as good if not better.

Congrats on the success of the Gridley. If Stuart Hall ever makes the trip up, I will 100% be attending. Heck I may attend one day if I ever just have a spare weekend!

I watched on the stream and those were two very good semifinal games.
What stood out from both Dublin and Salesian were great coaching, defense, intensity and everyone involved in the offense. You could also see the game experience and confidence that was displayed from these 2 teams. Managing the clock, rotating and finding the open man, limiting unforced turnovers, etc.
Riordan appears the team with the least big game experience and it showed at times. Yes, Riordan 2 great guards did not appear 100%, but more reason to get everyone involved in the offense instead of standing around. Good adjustment in the second half as this became evident in their comeback attempt. The stream announcers made a great point about Riordan's size should easily be the advantage, but it's become clear that they are lean on big game experience going up against talented and physical kids 3-6 inches shorter. Teams are figuring out to shut down the guards and force the big men to deliver. Lots of breakdowns on defense. This should improve as the season goes on under the tutelage of the coaching staff.
Campo played a very good game against Salesian. Both teams have big game experience. Salesian's team speed, defense and offensive execution made the difference. Sawyer is a beast down low using his body and skill to finish his shots. He's got a good post game when the offense sets him up in space down low. He got a lot of nice pick and rolls where he simply walled off his defender to get the open layup.
Tonight's 3rd place and Championship games will be must-see games!
You have to utilize size for it to be an advantage. I will not comment anymore than that but your spot on about defensive breakdowns. The other part needs to be reversed. 1 loss so far on the season not bad at all let's see if they can regroup after taking one on the chin.

Reactions: jordan24
no. not really..Beasley good player. D1. But a ball dominant guard. In some ways a ball stopper. Dublin has players. And when he left they were able to showcase there abilities. Team has great ball movement and they trust each other. The trio of Carter, Saunders and Roy are hard to stop when they get it going.

Especially Roy. He reminds me of Teeter Marshall a former SF great and CCSF great that played at New Mexico State. He can score with ease. So it was addition by subtraction with Beasley moving on.

@Marcskit I agree, but I still think it's extremely rare to see a teams best player leave and the team remains as good if not better.

Congrats on the success of the Gridley. If Stuart Hall ever makes the trip up, I will 100% be attending. Heck I may attend one day if I ever just have a spare weekend!

You have to utilize size for it to be an advantage. I will not comment anymore than that but your spot on about defensive breakdowns. The other part needs to be reversed. 1 loss so far on the season not bad at all let's see if they can regroup after taking one on the chin.
Those turnovers under the Riordan basket that led to easy Dublin layups. The announcers said the Dublin coach's strategy was to man up on the senior guards full court, look for the high screen action, put a body and go after the ball against the bigs, pressure the other Riordan guards/wings into bad passes and turnovers and run your half court offense forcing Riordan to play D and wait for the breakdown to attack. Also after each made Riordan basket, Dublin was off and running and caught them sleeping at times...Good learning experience for this team. I'm sure other coaches are looking to do this same strategy.

Reactions: cherylbaustin
Crusaders should be fine. I like Riordan's approach in lining up great competition. Nothing beats game experience! Campolindo game is eerily familiar from last year when Riordan had to play a tough Branson team in the 3rd place game. Certainly cannot fall asleep against this talented squad. Mitty edged Campo a few weeks ago. Wiill be a good barometer.

Last edited:
Reactions: superle
Crusaders should be fine. I like Riordan's approach in lining up great competition. Nothing beats game experience! Campolindo game is eerily familiar from last year when Riordan had to play a tough Branson team in the 3rd place game. Certainly cannot fall asleep against this talented squad. Mitty edged Campo a few weeks ago. Wiill be a good barometer.
Each game is different and lets be honest and Riordan supporters don't want Truth. Its early in the season and with two returning starters the coaching staff is still in the process of seeing what combinations works. We have started 4 different lineups this season in 7 games. Everything in life is about consistency. Dublin has a senior team with many returning players that have been contributing from day 1. Riordan needs to play matchup ball. Team ball. We lost our advantage against Dublin from the tip off. They dominated us in the first half as they should have. Same will happen today vs Campo if we do not defend and KNOW our strengths and weaknesses. Everyone wants their son in the game doing this and doing that...its a reason the other teams priorty is stop certain guys.
Riordan will be fine when they figure it out. Long season ...lose early and learn and win later from growth. Be the same person as you are when your winning as win your losing. The good one can do that! Sports doesn't build character it reveals it!

Reactions: CityVibesII
Those turnovers under the Riordan basket that led to easy Dublin layups. The announcers said the Dublin coach's strategy was to man up on the senior guards full court, look for the high screen action, put a body and go after the ball against the bigs, pressure the other Riordan guards/wings into bad passes and turnovers and run your half court offense forcing Riordan to play D and wait for the breakdown to attack. Also after each made Riordan basket, Dublin was off and running and caught them sleeping at times...Good learning experience for this team. I'm sure other coaches are looking to do this same strategy.
I think everyone's game plan will be similar and the coaching staff and players will adjust. As Jordan referred to : Coach scheduled this to get ready for a run at it.

no. not really..Beasley good player. D1. But a ball dominant guard. In some ways a ball stopper. Dublin has players. And when he left they were able to showcase there abilities. Team has great ball movement and they trust each other. The trio of Carter, Saunders and Roy are hard to stop when they get it going.

Especially Roy. He reminds me of Teeter Marshall a former SF great and CCSF great that played at New Mexico State. He can score with ease. So it was addition by subtraction with Beasley moving on.

Yea superle, but I said it first.
Couldn't resist that one.:D

As always, here's wishing you great hoops

you did and it beared out in Dublin win. There team looked really good. I was impressed with there ball movement.

Yea superle, but I said it first.
Couldn't resist that one.:D

As always, here's wishing you great hoops

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT