ADVERTISEMENT

Horrible CCS seeding

colhenrylives

Hall of Famer
Sep 25, 2009
We knew it was bad. We just didn't know how bad. Until first-round 2016 CCS baseball games were played Wednesday. The result, of 24 games played, 13 were won by lower-seeded teams. That includes two No.15s over No.2s; two No.14s over No.3s; and a No.13 over a No.4. And those were just for openers.

Last edited:
We knew it was bad. We just didn't know how bad. Until first-round 2016 CCS baseball games were played Wednesday. The result, of 24 games played, 13 were won by lower-seeded teams. That includes two No.15s over No.2s; two No.14s over No.3s; and a No.13 over a No.4. And those were just for openers.
Agreed but was it because the #1s in the lower seeds were that much better, or was it a case of then Carlmont upset the #1 or 2 seed years back. Believe it was a WCAL school and it was more surprising than yesterdays outcomes. Regardless, hope the WCAL can represent in the Open final.

No. It was the sheer number of "upsets" that does the depressing trick here in 2016. And a number of those outcomes were not even close. Just a terrible job by the CCS poobahs.

Anyone following NCS as I did from 08-12 knows how "committees" can make some head scratching seeding decisions.
In baseball, all it takes is a flamethrower in a low seed to bust a bracket then the #2 P is not much and they lose in round 2. (e.g. Bishop O'Dowd 2011 when Joe Ross threw a one-hitter to eliminate Cal High in the opening round, then the next year Cal plays the D1 final in the Coliseum.)
I like the SJS format. Semis have best of three so you'd better have two quality starters or you are done.
NCS and sounds like CCS would have more deserving finalists in that format.

Last edited:
Reactions: observer22
Can't wait for Sunday to see what fresh abomination the NCS people have in store for us.

Anyone following NCS as I did from 08-12 knows how "committees" can make some head scratching seeding decisions.
In baseball, all it takes is a flamethrower in a low seed to bust a bracket then the #2 P is not much and they lose in round 2. (e.g. Bishop O'Dowd 2011 when Joe Ross threw a one-hitter to eliminate Cal High in the opening round, then the next year Cal plays the D1 final in the Coliseum.)
I like the SJS format. Semis have best of three so you'd better have two quality starters or you are done.
NCS and sounds like CCS would have more deserving finalists in that format.
Would the Finals also be 2 out of 3? That would be alot of additional games.

Yeah, good point. You'd have to either have multiple games per week during finals, or keep playing after the school year. Either one will cause parents to raise a ruckus.

SJS playoffs started May 16. 12 team bracket with 4 R1 byes. Done by June 5. Finals are best of three also. Hello NCS.

Only D1 is best of three in the SJS. D2-D7 are all one and done finals played on Memorial Day.

I like the best of three semis better than the double elimination bracket SJS DI North and South use.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT