ADVERTISEMENT

Iolani Classic Free Webcast Semi Finals and Championship

The MD vs. Iolani game was a great game! Gonna be a battle tonight. As usual, if MD can handle SMS press they'll be fine. Even though SMS won the game, they still look very young. Should improve a lot in the next couple months.

For those who didn't watch it on Youtube, it was closer than the final score indicated. Demetre blocked a SMS driving layup with the score 70-69 and 16 seconds left in the game. The final scores came on intentional foul free throws. Exciting game and a good matchup between the two team's young guards. MD freshman point Vela is an excellent distributor and defender. SM's points excelled at scoring.

It was also a good contest between Oliver, who was named "outstanding player" and Demetre who was named "most valuable". Both Perry and Sherman were named to the All tourney team.

For those who didn't watch it on Youtube, it was closer than the final score indicated. Demetre blocked a SMS driving layup with the score 70-69 and 16 seconds left in the game. .

It was 72-69 when the block was made with 8 seconds left. They needed a 3 to tie it up but mnaybe SMS didn't know the score or didn't have anything and went for the drive instead.

For those who didn't watch it on Youtube, it was closer than the final score indicated. Demetre blocked a SMS driving layup with the score 70-69 and 16 seconds left in the game. The final scores came on intentional foul free throws. Exciting game and a good matchup between the two team's young guards. MD freshman point Vela is an excellent distributor and defender. SM's points excelled at scoring.

It was also a good contest between Oliver, who was named "outstanding player" and Demetre who was named "most valuable". Both Perry and Sherman were named to the All tourney team.

Intentional foul? I didn't see that...when did that happen?? It was a great game from start to finish and just when I thought MD was going to pull away, SMS came back. My knock, which has always been my knock against Tom is that he's a one trick pony. 2-2-1 full court 2-2-1 half court. MD shredded that press like it was nothing and he didn't change up one bit. Didn't go to man (well because he doesn't know how to teach man) but stayed in that pressing zone.

MD had about 20 points (maybe more) off of uncontested layups as a result of breaking the press...there comes a time where you have to adjust or you lose the game. Again, amazing game but if TG had switched it up even just a little bit, I certain the outcome would have been different.

Intentional foul? I didn't see that...when did that happen?? It was a great game from start to finish and just when I thought MD was going to pull away, SMS came back. My knock, which has always been my knock against Tom is that he's a one trick pony. 2-2-1 full court 2-2-1 half court. MD shredded that press like it was nothing and he didn't change up one bit. Didn't go to man (well because he doesn't know how to teach man) but stayed in that pressing zone.

MD had about 20 points (maybe more) off of uncontested layups as a result of breaking the press...there comes a time where you have to adjust or you lose the game. Again, amazing game but if TG had switched it up even just a little bit, I certain the outcome would have been different.
SMS almost beat a team that was easily 20 points better because they created havoc , played harder and With 5 freshmen and 5 sophomores were so impressive . NorCal , you are criticizing the most successful coach mayb in California history , known throughout the country as the best press in the country. TG must have best your daughters team for years . Mater Dei could not run any sets , because sms put so much pressure. For this early in the year as young as they are SMS looked really good . I’m sure they’re rotations will improve as the season moves forward. If I’m not mistaken MD started the season #2 in the state and #15 n the country. That being said I think u should get educated on basketball before u make such stupid comments . Ask any coach in the country who they don’t want to play, SMS . Look at their track record at the TOC . Who did your daughters play for again? Lol

SMS almost beat a team that was easily 20 points better because they created havoc , played harder and With 5 freshmen and 5 sophomores were so impressive . NorCal , you are criticizing the most successful coach mayb in California history , known throughout the country as the best press in the country. TG must have best your daughters team for years . Mater Dei could not run any sets , because sms put so much pressure. For this early in the year as young as they are SMS looked really good . I’m sure they’re rotations will improve as the season moves forward. If I’m not mistaken MD started the season #2 in the state and #15 n the country. That being said I think u should get educated on basketball before u make such stupid comments . Ask any coach in the country who they don’t want to play, SMS . Look at their track record at the TOC . Who did your daughters play for again? Lol

20 points better? GTFO with that BS. SMS is a GOOD team as is MD. Obviously you can't comprehend what I was trying to say. AGAIN, SMS is a very good team BUT my only thing in the game was that TG never adjusted and could have won that game easily. Yet he continued to press and got burned multiple times. Normally, when you get burned as much as he did last night, you back off and adjust. He didn't and as a result, lost the game. TG is a good coach, but got outreached last night or didn't coach it up very well in my opinion. Will they get better as the year progresses...? ABSOLUTELY I"m not criticizing him just making an observation. He's won more in his lifetime that a lot of coach ever will combine but again, as I've said in the past...when you have a team that's equal he has a hard time wining because he doesn't adjust. NOT A CRITICISM-just an observation.

It was 72-69 when the block was made with 8 seconds left. They needed a 3 to tie it up but mnaybe SMS didn't know the score or didn't have anything and went for the drive instead.
Nah! I just wanted to be exact and made a mistake when I click slow stop advanced the Youtube video to what I thought was the time out after Perry's drive. I should have just rewatched the entire last minute of play. I saw the score of 70-69 with 16 seconds to play and just assumed it was after rather than before Perrys drive. I was also incorrect in respect to the intentional fouls. That was also based on my assumption of the Perrys drive not having happened. There was only two foul shots after the 8 seconds were left. Still, even if that last foul at that time was not intentional, desperation makes players foul while risking steals.

My take on Gonsalves not making defensive adjustments is that he does not like to do that early in the season because he wants the team to learn the pressure defense. Unlike in the past the team has not played much together and their defense is still not close to what it needs to be. It is against better teams that they will improve. However, unlike he often was in the past, he is not totally locked into his pressure defense and will change when necessary. But I believe his first priority now is to get the team ready for the playoffs.

I also noticed they were missing some of their players. They only had ten. Arianna Webb not being there stood out. because she is very quick and is one of, if not their best defender. She is also a heck of a rebounder. MD also started very young guards and I suspect they will not hit their peak until late in the season as well.

It was definitely a well played game. Both teams were going at each other all game long. I love the way SMS plays and how hard they fight for every loose ball and possession. They have a very bright future and could be the Norcal Rep at state. I think it's Mitty and SMS fighting it out in the end. BOD is strong, but I don't know if they will be able to handle the heat on that press from both teams.

Reactions: basketba11
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT