ADVERTISEMENT

Is Folsom now a welcome member of the SFL?

Corrrection:

The Bulldogs did not face Grant in 2009. They beat Grant in 2010. Those 2009-10 teams did not have a 6-4 220 pound QB leading them lol. I still believe that Folsom hasn't beat anyone special since 2010!
CORRECTION:
The 2010 Pacers were considered a special team, who, according to CalHi were once ranked No. 1 in the state and No. 4 in the nation. The same Pacers team with a future NFL player and several stand out D1s. In all fairness, Folsom lost to that team in the first game of the year on ESPN. Buuuuuuut turned around and dismantled them later in the year on the way to their first State Title.

"Folsom has faced many teams that were considered special...until they lost to Folsom."

Funny fact- they were HEAVY underdogs in the same against Serra of Gardena. They proceeded to dismantle that team as well.

Folsom is the #1 public in CA over the last decade.

CORRECTION:
The 2010 Pacers were considered a special team, who, according to CalHi were once ranked No. 1 in the state and No. 4 in the nation. The same Pacers team with a future NFL player and several stand out D1s. In all fairness, Folsom lost to that team in the first game of the year on ESPN. Buuuuuuut turned around and dismantled them later in the year on the way to their first State Title.

"Folsom has faced many teams that were considered special...until they lost to Folsom."

Funny fact- they were HEAVY underdogs in the same against Serra of Gardena. They proceeded to dismantle that team as well.

Folsom is the #1 public in CA over the last decade.
That’s your opinion, and your entitled to having one.

But I’ll bet the house Folsom will not be the Public team of the decade 2020-2030. BAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.

Memory tells me that Shaq Thompson, stand out NFL player and the 2nd best player on that team were seriously injured before the second game.....Shaq very limited and Ferrance Lang did not play? Again Folsom dodges the bullet.....but they can't dodge DLS....ever!

Reactions: THEOC89
Memory tells me that Shaq Thompson, stand out NFL player and the 2nd best player on that team were seriously injured before the second game.....Shaq very limited and Ferrance Lang did not play? Again Folsom dodges the bullet.....but they can't dodge DLS....ever!
I mean maybe they can get their commissioner to suggest a rule for vote so they can dodge DLS forever

A few fun facts:

1. Shaq Thompson did play in the game against Folsom. He returned kicks the entire game. Must have felt decent. Grant was still dismantled by a 5'9, future Cal Poly QB.

2. 2010 gets overlooked but may have been better than the vaunted 2014 Folsom team that was arguably the best team in the state that year.

3. Folsom could have beaten MD or SJB and some clown on here would say that the water boy was injured.

4. Before the DLS rule was changed in NorCal, ALL section commissioners in SoCal unanimously voted in favor of this. Maybe they didn't want to see Folsom against their top teams due to other dismantlement's of that time? I don't know. Either that or they are all discreet Folsom fans that wanted them to dismantle the SoCal 1AA rep every year? I mean, it makes sense.

5. Out of a state of 40 million or so people, being the #1 public in the state from 2010-2020 is quite impressive. They can be a top 5 team for the next decade and I shall remain happy!

:)

Shaq was horribly hobbled with a bad leg.....missed much of the game.
Ferrance Lang was as good as any player Folsom had, maybe better....he did not play at all.
Future NFL player and D1 both down made a BIG difference.....
Color it how you want, they did not beat the best Grant Union had...

Shaq played the entire game. Returned every kick. Played every down. Not exactly the "very hobbled" narrative that gets spewed on this forum. Grant was missing 1 key player but for a top 10 team nationally to be pummeled like that without 1 player is inexcusable.

No excuses is the term given whenever Folsom losses. Same applies to Grant.

Point being- Folsom was the better team. The way that Dano Graves picked them and Serra apart, nobody was beating them. All the excuses are just sour milk because a team with national stars got smoked by a team of back yard kids, lead by a 5'9 Cal Poly QB.

I was at the game.....Shaq did NOT play every play and limped badly......I don't mind your homer BS but at least report it accurately.

Folsom Homer lies and spews the same lies hoping if he says it enough times it will magically become true
If you play in a lower playoff division against lesser competitors it’s impossible to become the #1anything that’s just common sense.

The entire Folsom/Grant 2010 game is online for all to see. There are no secrets. You can see all the kick returns and all the plays. You can even see him getting torched by Dano Graves on a few plays.

Doesn't matter anyways. Folsom is still the #1 public in all of CA for the last decade.

Great convo guys!

When you are playing on a bad leg, it's not hard to get out run....Kick returns is all you got? Weak...
We all know who WON the Open and it wasn't folsom. They could never win it, they can't get that far...

Shaq Thompson was ABSOLUTELY banged up against Folsom in the Section Championship game. He was actually injured much earlier in the season (Monterey Trail played Grant in week 7). He had some type of ankle injury, I believe, and it made his lateral moves very difficult. He still had straight ahead speed and was gutting it out, but he was NOWHERE near 100%. Just a fact. Ferrance Lang may have been the best player on the Grant 2010 team. His absence forced Grant to shuffle players and Folsom exposed the match-up weaknesses with Jordan Richards.

Dano Graves was an exciting player and a joy to watch (MT played Folsom in 2009 and GO Cal Poly!), but 2014 was the best Folsom team (MT played them in the Section semi-final). 2014 was better than the 2018 Folsom team (MT played them in the Section final). I'd put it at #1) 2014, #2) 2018, #3) 2010. Those three Folsom teams are probably in the Top 10 SJS teams all time. Probably Top 5 of the last 20 years, as well.

Shaq Thompson was ABSOLUTELY banged up against Folsom in the Section Championship game.
Banged up and injured are two completely different things.

He was actually injured much earlier in the season (Monterey Trail played Grant in week 7).
Exactly. Week 7. Let that sink in. The game they lost to Folsom was wayyyyyy after that. He has been rehabbing big time. He played the entire game against Folsom, returned kicks, caught passes, ran the ball. Watch the tape.
His absence forced Grant to shuffle players and Folsom exposed the match-up weaknesses with Jordan Richards.
A team like Grant had that year shouldn't have had a huge drop off because of one player like it is being portrayed. They could have had that dude plus others. They weren't going to win. That Folsom team was one for the ages.

Dano Graves was an exciting player and a joy to watch
Agreed.

2014 was better than the 2018 Folsom team (MT played them in the Section final). I'd put it at #1) 2014, #2) 2018, #3) 2010. Those three Folsom teams are probably in the Top 10 SJS teams all time.
I think all three are interchangeable honestly. Many factors to consider. I think the 2010 has two of the biggest wins against Grant and Serra- both games they were supposed to lose, and lose big. The other two teams were always favored to win.

Great chat though. Being the #1 public across 10 years in CA was fun. Many memories, and I am sure more to come!

#1) Shaq was hurt. High ankle sprains take forever to heal and get re-injured easily.

#2) Grant was very good at just overwhelming teams with match-ups. They could just man up and out-athlete most teams. However, Folsom 2010, through a combination of scheme and depth, had weapons everywhere. They were one of the few teams that could create the mis-match. Losing Lang put Folsom on more equal footing with Grant and allowed scheme to be a deciding factor. I personally don't think there was a huge difference between the two in 2010 later in the season. Folsom had matured and could play really fast. A banged up Shaq and a missing Lang mattered. However, I'm not sure that Folsom wouldn't have won anyway. It's hard to beat a talented team twice in a season. Also, remember that Monterey Trail took that same Grant team down to the last minute of the game, even with Lang playing. Grant was very good, but EVERYBODY was focused on how to beat them. MT should have, and Folsom did.

#3) 2014 had an excellent O-line and maybe the best of the Folsom defenses. MT had an all-state running back in Trey Nahhas. He ran for 100+ yards in 12 straight games. His last seven games in 2014 he played against four league champions and ran for 272 vs Grant, 232 vs Elk Grove, 174 vs Jesuit, 345 vs Davis, 242 vs Cosumnes Oaks, 398!!! vs Merced, and 65 vs Folsom. His yards per carry were less than half his next worst outing. Plus, Browning was the best high school QB I have seen in person. Dano was fun to watch, and many have been more athletic, or better college prospects. but Browning was good and not just because of the stats.

Reactions: BigMann08
pastyquickfast3 or aka G62 is correct when he says Folsom is the #1 public school for the decade, but only in northern California. No way they would ever compete with Centennial Corona.

Reactions: THEOC89 and MC415
Didn’t Shaq sit out the entire second half the week before against St Mary’s due to his ankle injury ? And basically gutted it out on being the tough kid he is to play against Folsom probably at 50%?

Didn’t Shaq sit out the entire second half the week before against St Mary’s due to his ankle injury ? And basically gutted it out on being the tough kid he is to play against Folsom probably at 50%?

Exactly, I looked the game up on MAXPREPS...They have an article on how badly Shaq was hurt. So I went to the Bee and read a Joe D, article......and I went to yuo tube and watched film......This loser couldn't find his arse with both hands......I'm done with SYBIL...

The good news is- it is all on tape. Judging by the play you are about to see when you press play, it hardly looks like "he was badly hurt," has what is being portrayed to fit a narrative. Truth is in the tape. Folsom dominated them. If you watch a few highlights later, he gets torched by Dano Graves on a 3rd quarter touchdown run.

Thank heaven for tape.

Wow things have really heated up in here. lol Folsom won that game fair and square. But anyone who really knows Pacer football, knows that Shaq was greatly hobbled and Ference Lang was sidelined. Ference, before getting injured, was having a Player of the Year season. For he had 1500 yards, 23 touchdowns, and 7 interceptions. He was projected to exceed 2000 yards, 30 touchdowns, and 10 interceptions.

The bottom line is, Grant couldn't beat Folsom without Shaq and Ference ready to go. Losing the best running attack/and secondary really hurt Grant. It was a big letdown for the City not seeing both teams at or close to full strength. With that being said, Folsom prevailed.

@Pasty It doesn't look like Shaq was hurt because he was a much better athlete than everyone on the field. If you watched the St. Mary's game, you would know that Shaq had no business being on the field. It showed greatly against Folsom. He was a decoy on defense and not very explosive on offense. If you watch his highlight tapes, you will see a big difference in his explosiveness, cutting, tenacity, breakaway speed, and power.

Folsom took advantage of Grant's shortcomings, as any good team would!

#1) Shaq was hurt. High ankle sprains take forever to heal and get re-injured easily.

#2) Grant was very good at just overwhelming teams with match-ups. They could just man up and out-athlete most teams. However, Folsom 2010, through a combination of scheme and depth, had weapons everywhere. They were one of the few teams that could create the mis-match. Losing Lang put Folsom on more equal footing with Grant and allowed scheme to be a deciding factor. I personally don't think there was a huge difference between the two in 2010 later in the season. Folsom had matured and could play really fast. A banged up Shaq and a missing Lang mattered. However, I'm not sure that Folsom wouldn't have won anyway. It's hard to beat a talented team twice in a season. Also, remember that Monterey Trail took that same Grant team down to the last minute of the game, even with Lang playing. Grant was very good, but EVERYBODY was focused on how to beat them. MT should have, and Folsom did.

#3) 2014 had an excellent O-line and maybe the best of the Folsom defenses. MT had an all-state running back in Trey Nahhas. He ran for 100+ yards in 12 straight games. His last seven games in 2014 he played against four league champions and ran for 272 vs Grant, 232 vs Elk Grove, 174 vs Jesuit, 345 vs Davis, 242 vs Cosumnes Oaks, 398!!! vs Merced, and 65 vs Folsom. His yards per carry were less than half his next worst outing. Plus, Browning was the best high school QB I have seen in person. Dano was fun to watch, and many have been more athletic, or better college prospects. but Browning was good and not just because of the stats.

this is a very accurate and well written statement.

I’m not. Folsom or Grant homer. I really enjoyed watching those teams. It’s a toss up if Shaq is healthy but Folsom was certainly deserving and could beat that pacer team on any given night. Rarely do you get to see a game like that. I believe there was 25k + at sac state

It’s a toss up if Shaq is healthy but Folsom was certainly deserving and could beat that pacer team on any given night.

Totally disagree here. If both teams are healthy the Pacers win 9 out of 10 IMO. Folsom won the one they were gonna get due to the perfect storm circumstances (I also think GHS took Folsom lightly due to the annihilation the first time out).

Rarely do you get to see a game like that. I believe there was 25k + at sac state

Totally true. They had a sell out or near sell out. SacBee reported 20,200 were in attendance that night. It was a fantastic atmosphere!

Next largest crowd I recall was the 1998 Section Semifinal at Hughes Stadium between Elk Grove and Jesuit, which reportedly drew 18,493.

Some other notable large crowds:

2000 Section Final; Elk Grove v. Lincoln-Stockton; 17,301 @ UOP.
1980 Section Semifinal; Cordova v. Highlands; 16,665 @ Hughes Stadium.
1999 Mater Dei v. De La Salle; 15,918 @ UOP.
1997 Section Final; Elk Grove v. Atwater; 13,133 @ UOP
1997 Section Semifinal; Elk Grove v. Grant Union, 12,000 @ Sac State
The Holy Bowl between Jesuit and Christian Brothers has reported attendance ranging from 12-16K throughout the 90's and 2000's.

Reactions: MC415
It’s a toss up if Shaq is healthy but Folsom was certainly deserving and could beat that pacer team on any given night. Rarely do you get to see a game like that. I believe there was 25k + at sac state
A toss up is why the 2 games they played were so great. Heck, the 1st game was on ESPN! Two public schools in the Sacramento area, playing on national television, on ESPN. Nobody ever says a thing about it, because we have gotten so obsessed with where Kid X And Kid Y are transferring to in Southern Ca. It was become a total joke.

You can have 20-30 transfers on one team (half just coming for football season and going home) and you still aren't getting half the crowds that Folsom and Grant was getting. Imagine that.

Of course- it could be worse. Our teams could always be playing on a Saturday afternoon in front of a few hundred parents, in a neighborhood. We are blessed brother.

I will take a stab at Folsom's prospects:

Talent is still there, but certainly not at the same level as some of their best teams. I'm really curious to see the impact Patu has.

I saw last year as a transition year from Richardson to Doherty and now year two the program should start to look more like Doherty's (whether that is a big change or small ones, there will be differences).

In terms of the SJS, Oak Ridge is the top team IMO with Folsom and Monterey Trail at 2 and 3 in some order. I think all three teams are in the same tier though

Talent is still there, but certainly not at the same level as some of their best teams. I'm really curious to see the impact Patu has.

I saw last year as a transition year from Richardson to Doherty and now year two the program should start to look more like Doherty's (whether that is a big change or small ones, there will be differences).

In terms of the SJS, Oak Ridge is the top team IMO with Folsom and Monterey Trail at 2 and 3 in some order. I think all three teams are in the same tier though

Let's all hope we have a season so that we can find out just how good everybody is.

Someone has to fill out the Section Semi-Final in D1, so who do you think fills out the top 4 or 5? Thoughts anybody? Inderkum has a shot and Taylor will want to make a bold statement in his first year. St. Mary's is always good. Anyone have an insight on any sleepers?

Folsom loses 2400 receiving yards in Badger and Hutton. Not sure that there's a playmaker like either of them on the roster. 56% completion rate as a Junior for incoming QB is a deep yellow flag on a team with Folsom's previous skill set.
Rocklin while not as deep is probably better on the lines. It's not inconceivable to see Folsom in a battle for 3rd in SFL

Folsom loses 2400 receiving yards in Badger and Hutton. Not sure that there's a playmaker like either of them on the roster. 56% completion rate as a Junior for incoming QB is a deep yellow flag on a team with Folsom's previous skill set.
Rocklin while not as deep is probably better on the lines. It's not inconceivable to see Folsom in a battle for 3rd in SFL

Agreed and it will be a war for Oak Ridge to beat Rocklin as well. I think Patu will do well. He’s a talent.

A few years back there was a huge article in the Sacramento Bee that detailed the complaints of fellow SFL coaches, in attempts to kick Folsom out of the SFL.

https://www.sacbee.com/sports/high-school/joe-davidson/article219497195.html

Now that Folsom has come back down to earth- are they losing enough to be fully accepted into the SFL? I haven't heard any more rumblings about kicking them out since they didn't fully dominate as in years past.

Is it now safe for Folsom to play in this league now that everyone has a shot at a trophy?

Direct from article- “Folsom is so good, it’s from a different planet now, completely out of this atmosphere, and teams around here can’t compete, and sometimes it becomes a safety issue because you have teams going up against guys who are major recruits,” said Rocklin coach Greg Benzel, whose team lost to Folsom by seven touchdowns on Sept. 28."

@MCIC since you were one of the people leading the charge on expelling Folsom- what are your thoughts now?

What makes this article so interesting is the quote from the Oak Ridge HC- “Folsom isn’t breaking rules, but Folsom has a different set of rules than the rest of us,” Oak Ridge coach Eric Cavaliere said. “The open enrollment issue is big. We can’t take any kids into our school unless they live in El Dorado Hills."

What is best about this quote is that it is completely wrong. Even kids who transferred to Folsom to play football, had to move there. No different than if they chose to play at Oak Ridge or Del Oro. It does sound like sour grapes because other programs weren't able to attract the same level of talent, so they lashed out.

Thoughts?
Let’s answer this here and you stop hijacking a post about a great moment for a young man. Agreed?

My belief is that the movement to get Folsom out of SFL was BS. Runs are cyclical. The “Open Boundary“ created an excuse for coaches that couldn’t compete. Coaching is an ego-centric driven business and no coach is willing to admit that kids might be getting better coaching elsewhere. In high school it starts with coaching and Folsom had as a good a staff as the top teams in the state (reference Sac State turnaround). None of us are really “restricted” from moving in to a different school boundary, but there are costs associated with it. So what happens when you have an open boundary but the perceived advantage dissipates or moves elsewhere?

We are about to find out as the landscape is changing and a new “villain” will appear with fabricated advantages unrelated to the quality of work the coaching staff puts in.

Folsom —————- Centennial

W/L- 136-12. ——- 120-23

Strength avg- 38.34. ——- 49.17

national avg - 78.7. ——— 16.3

High rank nat. 5. ———- 2

State bowls - 4. ——— 4

D2- title 10’ ———- D1- runner-up 10’

D1- title 14’. ———- Open - runner up 12’
———- —————- Runner up 14’
———— ——————— Runner up 15’

D1AA- title 17’ title 18————-

Folsom: 2010-2020= 4 State Titles