ADVERTISEMENT

Is this the best group Northern California has ever sent to Carson?

SPortela24

Sports Fanatic
Aug 8, 2009
OPEN:

De La Salle (Concord)
vs.
Centennial (Corona)

DIVISION I:

Folsom
vs.
Oceanside

DIVISION II:

Clayton Valley Charter (Concord)
vs.
Redlands East Valley (Redlands)

Division III:

Campolindo (Moraga)
vs.
El Capitan (Lakeside)

SMALL SCHOOL:

Central Catholic (Modesto)
vs.
St. Margaret's (San Juan Capistrano)

------------------------------

I can't say I know a ton about The Schools playing in Division 4 or about El Capitan.

But I do think this is the best group NorCal has ever sent to Carson. I don't see the north losing in The Open, D1 or D2.

Tough to say, in terms of overall depth yes, but that 2010 lineup of DLS, Folsom, and Palo Alto when you consider the overall talent on each of those squads, and more importantly they all beat quality teams in their SBG.

Splitting up DLS and Folsom in the Open and D1, made us infinitely stronger in those two games this year.

This is an extremely strong lineup for both sides. I think Nor Cal has a slight advantage in Open and D1, Its a total tossup in D2, and I think So-Cal holds a small advantage with the two smaller schools.
Should be an outstanding weekend.

I think it definitely could be, especially if DLS's starting Qb could play. I'm sure that could hurt them some if their 3rd string Qb has to play. Good luck to all of the NorCal teams.

Splitting up DLS and Folsom allowed two top 10 nationally ranked teams to represent the north. Folsom has surely become a national power and running into DLS every year was not doing them any favors.

However, I think Clayton Valley is knocking on the door of being every bit as good as Folsom. A few years ago when Murphy returned I couldn't understand the buzz surrounding the man. The guy is a nationally recognized coach and they have a scheme that does not beat itself.

If anything I think De La Salles scheme puts them at a disadvantage. Not because the veer isn't great and don't because they don't run it to perfection but because everyone knows it's coming and have known it for ages.

2010 was a good year 4-1

Open DLS W
DI Palo Alto W
DII Folsom W
DIII Escalon W
DIV Brookside Christian L

cappyjohnson posted on 12/15/2014...

2010 was a good year 4-1

Open DLS W
DI Palo Alto W
DII Folsom W
DIII Escalon W

Aided by the rainstorm.

Originally posted by PGownsWHITNEY:
cappyjohnson posted on 12/15/2014...

2010 was a good year 4-1

Open DLS W
DI Palo Alto W
DII Folsom W
DIII Escalon W

Aided by the rainstorm.
Not likely to rain for this SBG.......Weather Channel is calling for 30% chance on Saturday in their 10 day report. There will be high surf advisories if anybody is arriving to the game by boat......just saying...

I think this is one of the strongest groups to send down, but will have to back it up with results to match 2010. As mentioned earlier, DLS, Folsom and Palo Alto were all very good teams and beat high level competition.

Originally posted by Streak One:
I think this is one of the strongest groups to send down, but will have to back it up with results to match 2010. As mentioned earlier, DLS, Folsom and Palo Alto were all very good teams and beat high level competition.
The cool part of 2010 was that it was also one of the best SoCal lineups, too!

That was a formidable SoCal group. The Palo Alto win over Centennial Corona was Epic as far as perceived David and Golliath. Palo Alto's top receiver (and now an NFLer) didn't even play. What a game. That was a wake-up call for Socal with regards to Folsom. Also the year that Escalon, which was highly discounted in the north, pulled off the win in D3. One of my close friend's nephew played on that team so I had a reason to root for them outside of being from the north.

This year's lineup has a shot at matching 2010, but I'm inclined to think this one could go 3-2 either way.
This post was edited on 12/15 8:41 PM by NorCalSportsFan

>Palo Alto's top receiver (and no NFLer) didn't even play

Rob, not too sure what you mean by that statement. Davante Adams was the difference maker for Palo Alto in the crunch (all year). Maybe you know more than me, and maybe he was not the statistical leader. However, Adams definitely played in that game vs. Centennial...but he got injured (catching a touchdown pass at the end of the first half). He came back to play in the second half, and was one tough guy. If he had not been injured, the score difference may well have been more.

It will take some doing, as you say, to match that 2010 record. I will be rooting for 5-0 for the North! I don't like the South.

Regards,

Craig

Hi Craig. That's actually another poster- who does a nice job btw. I really enjoyed watching those games that year.

DLS needs to approach the red zone defense that Paly palyed in 2010 vs CC- no easy task. Paly's defense was so physical and disciplined, it was a treat to watch what they did to the Huskies that night.

The socal wimps blamed it on the rain- problem was, it was not raining nearly that hard that night and CC actually had good success moving the ball between the 20's. Agree w Titanscoach that Adams injury was a big blow to Paly.

2104 will ultimately be measured by how many W's Nor Cal brings home. Love the 5 teams going south.

This post was edited on 12/15 4:51 PM by paul_johnson884

Originally posted by paul_johnson884:

The socal wimps blamed it on the rain- problem was, it was not raining nearly that hard that night and CC actually had good success moving the ball between the 20's. Agree w Titanscoach that Adams injury was a big blow to Paly.
I was at the game that night and agree with this. Although, if you talk to steeler01, it was a freakin' monsoon.

Nope, the monsoon showed up the next day.

Originally posted by Cal 14:
Originally posted by paul_johnson884:

I was at the game that night and agree with this. Although, if you talk to steeler01, it was a freakin' monsoon.

Nope, the monsoon showed up the next day.
I was there too and it is funny how short peoples memories are.

Paly put on a red zone defensive clinic. CC had almost 500 yards of offense in that "monsoon"- only 2 TDs.

>Hi Craig. That's actually another poster- who does a nice job btw. I really enjoyed watching those games that year

Sorry, Rob. I don't hang with this site, so I get confused. At any rate, I support the North, as always.

Craig

Hi Craig, This is John. I meant now an NFLer (Adams). That's right he was injured early and came back in. That was a great Prime Rib dinner at the Sundance. I went to the Palo Alto v Palma game this year - my nephews are Chieftains. They didn't renew for next season. Givens is a speedy receiver though. He will be special next season and their QB looks like he has upside potential.

Originally posted by SPortela24:

If anything I think De La Salles scheme puts them at a disadvantage. Not because the veer isn't great and don't because they don't run it to perfection but because everyone knows it's coming and have known it for ages.
Yet very very few have stopped it for what, 30+ years. It's not what they run, it's how they EXECUTE it.

My hunch is CC will move the ball against DLS and score more points than anybody else has this year. Too many athletes and weapons to keep them out of end zone. DLS will be able to also move the ball and control the line of scrimmage. I think DLS needs to keep the game ugly and lower scoring.

No, that's very true. Again, there is no wrinkle in their offense. The way they play is never dictated by what a defense gives them or exploiting weaknesses but rather but them executing their offense.

The very essence of the veer is exploiting what the defense gives you- thus, the option. That said, there are very few plays and they run them to perfection. Your point is that they rely on perfection, not trickery. Inside veer, outside veer, counter dive, Y pop pass. Run those to both sides and you have the staple of the offense. From there, they will run some plays to their personnel strengths and to counter the strength of the defense that week.

Now, try and stop it!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT