ADVERTISEMENT

Jordon Brookshire

I agree Bubba3000, get bigger, faster, stronger, learn the system and mature. Definitely a great path at the right location. For Jordon, the right situation didn't present itself, not yet anyway

Can't say that I blame him the triple option is not what most quarterback prospects aspire to. The triple is much more attractive to offensive linemen that love to run block.

Reactions: Bshire1
At first glance I wondered why someone would elect to play Juco when they had a perfectly good full ride scholarship to a great academic school like the University of New Mexico? Upon further review it dawned on me that they run the triple option there, which means they run the ball somewhere around 80% of the time. With my son playing the triple option at Cal Poly and seeing all of their games, I can tell you that the quarterback takes a beating in this system. They take many hits even when they aren't the ball carrier. With defenders a tad bigger, fast and stronger at the FBS level, I can't imagine the beatings to be any less severe in the Mountain West conference than the Big Sky conference. In the case of Jordan, this actually makes a lot of sense IMO.

Last edited:
At first glance I wondered why someone would elect to play Juco when they had a perfectly good full ride scholarship to a great academic school like the University of New Mexico? Upon further review it dawned on me that they run the triple option there, which means they run the ball somewhere around 80% of the time. With my son playing the triple option at Cal Poly and seeing all of their games, I can tell you that the quarterback takes a beating in this system. They take many hits even when they aren't the ball carrier. With defenders a tad bigger, fast and stronger at the FBS level, I can't imagine the beatings to be any less severe in the Mountain West conference than the Big Sky conference. In the case of Jordan, this actually makes a lot of sense IMO.
I couldn't agree with you more. NM is talking about throwing the ball more... down the road. Like you said, the thing to do now is get a "good hit" on the Qb no matter if he keeps it or not. Jordon actually loves to run the ball but thinking that JC route will give him a better opportunity to be a complete Qb. Nothing is guaranteed, we just believe in his ability to do both run and throw it. Only time will tell.

Reactions: Bubba3000 and MC415
I couldn't agree with you more. NM is talking about throwing the ball more... down the road. Like you said, the thing to do now is get a "good hit" on the Qb no matter if he keeps it or not. Jordon actually loves to run the ball but thinking that JC route will give him a better opportunity to be a complete Qb. Nothing is guaranteed, we just believe in his ability to do both run and throw it. Only time will tell.

From watching Jordan's film I think he could be a successful triple option quarterback. Many of the hits are a split second after the QB pitches to the sweep back and the defender is justified in teeing off on the QB. I often hear programs talk about changing their schemes and more times than not it turns out to just be talk. The offensive line coach at NM is Saga Tuitele, one of the men that recruited my son to Cal Poly, since he was the line coach and offensive coordinator at Cal Poly. Our only regret at Cal Poly is my son has had two different offensive line coaches in his first two years and both have left for greener pastures. With that said, Cal Poly has lead the nation in rushing both of those years and four years in a row at the FCS D1AA level. One thing I've learned is don't place too much of your decision on coaching staffs because coaching may be the most volatile profession on the planet.

From watching Jordan's film I think he could be a successful triple option quarterback. Many of the hits are a split second after the QB pitches to the sweep back and the defender is justified in teeing off on the QB. I often hear programs talk about changing their schemes and more times than not it turns out to just be talk. The offensive line coach at NM is Saga Tuitele, one of the men that recruited my son to Cal Poly, since he was the line coach and offensive coordinator at Cal Poly. Our only regret at Cal Poly is my son has had two different offensive line coaches in his first two years and both have left for greener pastures. With that said, Cal Poly has lead the nation in rushing both of those years and four years in a row at the FCS D1AA level. One thing I've learned is don't place too much of your decision on coaching staffs because coaching may be the most volatile profession on the planet.

Cal Poly is an awesome place to be, great football, great location. Even with the coaching changes is your son still liking it? With having to run the ball so Much in high school, Jordon is hoping to get an opportunity where he could be a "Qb" and not just a "running Qb". If for some reason that doesn't happen he'll be all over a triple option type place. If that makes sense? How is Poly gonna be this year?

Cal Poly is an awesome place to be, great football, great location. Even with the coaching changes is your son still liking it? With having to run the ball so Much in high school, Jordon is hoping to get an opportunity where he could be a "Qb" and not just a "running Qb". If for some reason that doesn't happen he'll be all over a triple option type place. If that makes sense? How is Poly gonna be this year?

He loves it there, despite the fact football isn't a super big deal around campus. Great college town, difficult academics and a great degree. I expect Poly to have another good team this year and the schedule is not as tough as the past two years. No EWU, Montana or North Dakota on the schedule like last year. Replacing a great quarterback like Dano Graves won't be easy, but I have a lot of confidence in junior QB Khaleel Jenkins. We must replace both of our starting offensive tackles and that may or may not require Tyler to play there, instead of guard. Our corners have been underachieving, especially as tacklers. I'm hoping we can improve in that area and on defense in general.

Wait until you watch your son play in college, it's the coolest thing ever.

Last edited:
I watched Sonoma County High School football since I was like 9. Went to all the Rancho games.

Jordan could have been one of the best safeties I've ever seen in the area had that been his sole focus. I saw Cronin play against Rancho and throw bomb after bomb for TD's to this huge receiver they had. Cronin was way better than Jordan at QB and Cronin played at some small school in North Dakota. Jordan can play at almost any school on the D side of the ball. QB though? Lots of legit QB's from Sonoma County didn't play so well at the D1 level.

Cal Poly is a great place, I agree. One of our all time greats, Dano Graves was the QB for them this year. He set just about every record there was to set in high school as a dual threat QB, who also led the team to our first state title. He originally went to Air Force but ended up transferring to Cal Poly. He did well and liked it. He doesn't have the size that your son has, but has some other very similar traits. Good luck!

Cal Poly is a great place, I agree. One of our all time greats, Dano Graves was the QB for them this year. He set just about every record there was to set in high school as a dual threat QB, who also led the team to our first state title. He originally went to Air Force but ended up transferring to Cal Poly. He did well and liked it. He doesn't have the size that your son has, but has some other very similar traits. Good luck!

I didn't see the game but heard the Cal Poly vs Nevada game on the radio. Graves put on a show.

I didn't see the game but heard the Cal Poly vs Nevada game on the radio. Graves put on a show.

I was there in person and CP should have won that game. The Mustangs fell behind early 14-0 and our triple option was dominant that night. After the game Reno coach Polian was quoted as saying he would never schedule Cal Poly ever again. Pretty prophetic since he was fired at seasons end.

I watched Sonoma County High School football since I was like 9. Went to all the Rancho games.

Jordan could have been one of the best safeties I've ever seen in the area had that been his sole focus. I saw Cronin play against Rancho and throw bomb after bomb for TD's to this huge receiver they had. Cronin was way better than Jordan at QB and Cronin played at some small school in North Dakota. Jordan can play at almost any school on the D side of the ball. QB though? Lots of legit QB's from Sonoma County didn't play so well at the D1 level.

I didn't realize that Jordan also played safety? Pretty rare to see a kid play QB and safety, due to the physical nature of playing safety. It tells me he enjoys the physical part of the game. Plus many coaches won't risk their QB playing him as a safety.

Dad Brookshire, what offensive system do they run over at SRJC? I wish Jordan well in his quest and if things don't work out I would love to see him in Forest Green and Vegas Gold! Did Cal Poly show Jordan any love during the recruiting process?

I didn't realize that Jordan also played safety? Pretty rare to see a kid play QB and safety, due to the physical nature of playing safety. It tells me he enjoys the physical part of the game. Plus many coaches won't risk their QB playing him as a safety.

Drew McCalister played both very well at Monte Vista (just prior to Nottingham) before concentrating on safety at USC.

Reactions: Bubba3000
Drew McCalister played both very well at Monte Vista (just prior to Nottingham) before concentrating on safety at USC.

I totally respect anyone that can play those two positions and do it well. You will rarely see those guys crying for a flag on a close late hit at QB. You will more likely see them deliver a forearm shiver with their non ball hand.

It's funny because I'm old school and in my day they called it a forearm shiver. My son is new school and they are now taught to call that a "flipper". Trust me, I give him the business about calling such a manly act "flipper"!

He loves it there, despite the fact football isn't a super big deal around campus. Great college town, difficult academics and a great degree. I expect Poly to have another good team this year and the schedule is not as tough as the past two years. No EWU, Montana or North Dakota on the schedule like last year. Replacing a great quarterback like Dano Graves won't be easy, but I have a lot of confidence in junior QB Khaleel Jenkins. We must replace both of our starting offensive tackles and that may or may not require Tyler to play there, instead of guard. Our corners have been underachieving, especially as tacklers. I'm hoping we can improve in that area and on defense in general.

i am excited to see what happens, he's having fun working out with the team already. You have to be on cloud 9 with your son being at Cal Poly. Not only must he be a player, but EXTREMELY smart. We will definitely be following Poly from now on. Don't they come to Sac St this year?

I never saw Cronin play but I've heard a lot of cool stories. I wish I could get my hands on some film. I realize a lot of people don't see Jordon as a Qb, mostly because he had to run the ball so much. If you remember the Rancho game, there were 3 tds dropped, I mean either in the end zone or wide open within 10 yards from the end zone. As a team, we had 14 dropped tds this year. Jordon also had his fair share of over throws. He threw the ball pretty well in the Paradise Classic over in Hawaii against a lot of D1 talent. I personally think he's gonna prove a lot people wrong, buts that's just me.

Reactions: slick58
Dano was truly a man among boys at the high school level.
All I can is DAMN!!! Very Impressive

Reactions: TheFolsomBulldog
Wow, just watches his highlights. Ima have to watch it again.

Reactions: TheFolsomBulldog
i am excited to see what happens, he's having fun working out with the team already. You have to be on cloud 9 with your son being at Cal Poly. Not only must he be a player, but EXTREMELY smart. We will definitely be following Poly from now on. Don't they come to Sac St this year?

The cool thing imo about watching your kid play in college is everyone on the field is a stud, unlike the mismatches you often see at the high school level. In college they are all so close talent wise what separates them is who loves the game more.

My son isn't super smart, pretty average actually. He got good grades taking standard high school classes, i.e. no honors classes. His grades and test scores and the fact they really wanted him barely got him in. Cal Poly played at Sac State last year, which means they will play at Davis this year.

Dano Graves is my favorite HS player of all time. That was the best HS football team I've ever seen. I will never forget sitting in a monsoon watching them beat a good vacaville team like 77-0. They could have put 100 on them.

BTW, with Jordan the best of luck. I'm a huge fan. He's going to do really well wherever he ends up.

Dad Brookshire, what offensive system do they run over at SRJC? I wish Jordan well in his quest and if things don't work out I would love to see him in Forest Green and Vegas Gold! Did Cal Poly show Jordan any love during the recruiting process?
Jordon was suppose to play safety for Newman but only did a few times. You're absolutely right, i don't think the coach wanted to risk getting him knicked up. Jordon was talking to Cal Poly a lot, probably a few times a week, we could never get there. They ended up going with another Qb. I think we may have pushed a few teams away by not keeping in contact. Just my guess. SRJC runs the spread from the pistol and likes to throw the ball. They want a more mobile Qb who can throw it also.

The cool thing imo about watching your kid play in college is everyone on the field is a stud, unlike the mismatches you often see at the high school level. In college they are all so close talent wise what separates them is who loves the game more.

My son isn't super smart, pretty average actually. He got good grades taking standard high school classes, i.e. no honors classes. His grades and test scores and the fact they really wanted him barely got him in. Cal Poly played at Sac State last year, which means they will play at Davis this year.
We will definitely be at the Poly/Davis game, if he's not playing that same time. Jordon says that he already having a lot of fun at the JC because all the WR can catch, all the DB's can cover. Thats all they're doing right now but goes to show how right you are. Your son must of got some awesome test scores to go with those grades cause even with a 3.5 and decent SAT scores, Jordon had to retake the SAT's twice.

Dano Graves is my favorite HS player of all time. That was the best HS football team I've ever seen. I will never forget sitting in a monsoon watching them beat a good vacaville team like 77-0. They could have put 100 on them.

BTW, with Jordan the best of luck. I'm a huge fan. He's going to do really well wherever he ends up.
Thank you very much Larry legend33

We will definitely be at the Poly/Davis game, if he's not playing that same time. Jordon says that he already having a lot of fun at the JC because all the WR can catch, all the DB's can cover. Thats all they're doing right now but goes to show how right you are. Your son must of got some awesome test scores to go with those grades cause even with a 3.5 and decent SAT scores, Jordon had to retake the SAT's twice.

Another opportunity to see Cal Poly play locally is on September 2 at San Jose State, their one and only FBS opponent.

Let's put it this way, with their high academic standards there's no way, no how Tyler gets accepted at Cal Poly without football in the equation.

The allure of a beautiful college town by the beach that's three hours from home was too much for him to resist. It was also important to him to go to a school he wouldn't be able to get into without football.

Last edited:
SLO is certainly a nice destination. And going "where they want you" is imperative.

For parents and the current cycle:
A stretch school academically is fraught with risk. Almost every college search tool for athletes states play at a school where you know you'd stay with a career ending injury. Secondly, know that you'd be able to handle the academic workload while having that full time job with the team. Especially at the big school/FBS level, too many HS stars get beat out or beat up by the academics. Then a juco retreat ( @Butte, Rodgers was heading up, Kline down.)

Experienced the luxury of both ends of the spectrum: a NMS carried by Amherst (alternates with Williams as the #1 LAC in the US) FB until late March (always have plan B, C etc.) and 1315.2 who had tremendous $$/AD support at a D1 private.

SLO is certainly a nice destination. And going "where they want you" is imperative.

For parents and the current cycle:
A stretch school academically is fraught with risk. Almost every college search tool for athletes states play at a school where you know you'd stay with a career ending injury. Secondly, know that you'd be able to handle the academic workload while having that full time job with the team. Especially at the big school/FBS level, too many HS stars get beat out or beat up by the academics. Then a juco retreat ( @Butte, Rodgers was heading up, Kline down.)

Experienced the luxury of both ends of the spectrum: a NMS carried by Amherst (alternates with Williams as the #1 LAC in the US) FB until late March (always have plan B, C etc.) and 1315.2 who had tremendous $$/AD support at a D1 private.

Good point about biting off too much academically with the heavy work load of a D1(or any other level)sport. There are very few athletes at Cal Poly that are majoring in Engineering.

Another opportunity to see Cal Poly play locally is on September 2 at San Jose State, their one and only FBS opponent.

Let's put it this way, with their high academic standards there's no way, no how Tyler gets accepted at Cal Poly without football in the equation.

The allure of a beautiful college town by the beach that's three hours from home was too much for him to resist. It was also important to him to go to a school he wouldn't be able to get into without football.
He definitely pick an awesome school. In all honesty, looking back, Jordon would have loved to be at Poly. I asked him what was the difference between Poly and Davis? He said 1, Poly was harder to get in, 2, location and 3, it seemed like football was bigger there.

He definitely pick an awesome school. In all honesty, looking back, Jordon would have loved to be at Poly. I asked him what was the difference between Poly and Davis? He said 1, Poly was harder to get in, 2, location and 3, it seemed like football was bigger there.

In response to your three points IMO location is the biggest difference between those two schools. The only thing bad about SLO is it's expensive to live down there.

FYI CP plays at SJSU on 9/2 and at Davis on 10/28.

Last edited:
In response to your three points IMO location is the biggest difference between those two schools. The only thing bad about SLO is it's expensive to live down there.

FYI CP plays at SJSU on 9/2 and at Davis on 10/28.
Both of those games are within a 2 hour drive for us so as long we're not playing, we will definitely be at both games. We are looking forward to watch CP play in person, especially against SJST. Thank you for the information Bubba3000

Going to look at SLO for my daughter as well. The urban legend which scares off a lot of people off is you cannot change your major? I've heard it's not true, but it is very difficult. Any insight / experiences on this Bubba?

Going to look at SLO for my daughter as well. The urban legend which scares off a lot of people off is you cannot change your major? I've heard it's not true, but it is very difficult. Any insight / experiences on this Bubba?

No real experience since my son has majored in communications from day one. For those that aren't familiar with Cal Poly their motto is "learn by doing". As a result instead of their first two years being strictly general ed courses, freshmen and sophomores are allowed to take some of their electives early on. By doing this if one wants to change major they end up wasting credits. However, from what my son has told me it goes like this:

You can change your major if it's within the same "school". Where it gets nearly impossible to change your major is if you try to change from business to engineering or sociology to kinesiology, etc.....

I do know from experience that when one applies to Cal Poly they must state their major. This was a source of concern for us because my son initially wanted to major in kinesiology and he is not that strong in math and science. I told him my concerns and when he checked with his line coach he was told it's very difficult if one is math/science challenged. Like a normal teenager, my son only listens to about 20% of what his dad says, but 100% of what his coaches say.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT