ADVERTISEMENT

Jordon Brookshire

To be fair I've never seen any film on Jordan's competition at QB at SRJC
He's from Fort Bragg and put up huge numbers in HS at a small school with limited competition. IMHO no comparison to Brookshire...

He's from Fort Bragg and put up huge numbers in HS at a small school with limited competition. IMHO no comparison to Brookshire...

I would like to see Jordan make it to a D1 program after only playing one year at Juco. I'm sure sharing time isn't helping that cause.

Reactions: Bshire1
I don't see how any program makes an offer for brookshire after this season unless he does well at some workouts or camps. It most likely will take another season at JC. I guess this is the risk you run into. He is really a talented kid and Is very low risk. Good size, mobility, and comes from high character program. Wish him the best!

I don't see how any program makes an offer for brookshire after this season unless he does well at some workouts or camps. It most likely will take another season at JC. I guess this is the risk you run into. He is really a talented kid and Is very low risk. Good size, mobility, and comes from high character program. Wish him the best!

I'm no expert on Juco but I would think 170 or so pass attempts spread over several games would be enough for D1 programs to evaluate him

What happened over at srjc? 1-8? They have never been that bad. This program seems rock solid year in and out. I can't believe it's a controversy. Brookshire is much more talented.
I don't reply too much on these threads, but I've seen them practice and play in games. I do not see much coaching of fundamentals at all. Especially on the OL. It appeared to me like they did not know how to use JB. Some plays I've watched don't make sense in the blocking scheme, players left unblocked. You can't spend practice time just running plays, you gotta teach fundamentals. My 2 cents.

@Bshire1
Not my place to say and I'm certainly no expert on Juco football. I will say this in terms of what I have noticed with Juco programs and that's this, they seem to rotate players at all positions. I may be wrong here but it just seems to be the case when looking at QB's, RB's, etc, lots of kids getting reps at positions. I might be wrong just something I have noticed. Might be to get as many kids as possible looks or noticed. I think JB will be fine don't get frustrated seems to be the process.

Weird scenario Dad Brookshire. I would think most juco coaches would be thrilled to get a quarterback as talented as Jordan and I’m not quick to believe the rotation theory when it comes to quarterbacks. Rotating is something you do with defensive tackles and running backs. Positions like quarterback and offensive linemen play the entire game and only get pulled at the end of blow outs for mop up duty. I’m not trying to tell you what to do but if he were my son I would be hard pressed to trust another year of eligibility to a juco coach that talks out of both sides of his neck. A different juco or a preferred walk on at a four year school may be better options, if a good offer doesn’t come. Good luck!

Apparently the University of New Mexico thinks Jordan is a D1 QB, that’s why they offered. Is Jordan a drop back stand in the pocket type? No, he’s more of duel threat guy and that type is on the rise. Hindsight is always 20-20 and I wish the young man well.

Brother Pete, the problem I have with that is now you’re somewhere you don’t want to be and you’re stuck. At some point, it will show. Maybe not at first, but sooner or later it will. Just my opinion.
I agree with you pappa Bshire. The only argument I have is the obvious. Sometimes you take the other route and you may be worse off than you were before. Sometimes the grass isn't always greener on the other side. A great player/QB will shine no matter where he is and no matter what system he is in. Cream rises to the top my brother.

Either way, I hope good things for the young man. He is a great player.

Reactions: Bubba3000
Apparently the University of New Mexico thinks Jordan is a D1 QB, that’s why they offered. Is Jordan a drop back stand in the pocket type? No, he’s more of duel threat guy and that type is on the rise. Hindsight is always 20-20 and I wish the young man well.
New Mexico told Jujuan Lawson the same thing. Hes now at Rhode Island. I don’t disagree That the kid has the ability and can do whatever he wants. I again I think Papa is right it’s time to find a new place.

Its a huge risk right guys? You leave Newman with a ton of goodwill and all sorts of positive momentum. Arguably you come from one of the best run programs in the state to a JC that has so many different elements than HS did. Playing around with who is the starter and who isn't weeks into the season is a recipe for disaster. Maybe its a preferred walk on offer now vs a scholarship? I love watching this kid. I think good things happen to good people. We are all rooting for him!

Paul Cronin, IMHO did the best he could. For the record no one is mad about the lack of attention. We believe that it’s just the area we live in.
Why was Paul Cronin not able to land Jordon on a D1 roster at QB?
Brother Pete does not think it is the fault of the HS coach or the family. I have said before that this area is not exactly a hot bed for D1 football talent. If Jordon had played in the Sierra Foothill League, just a few hours away, we might be watching him on national TV every Saturday. Could you imagine Jordon at Oak Ridge or Folsom, with those systems, with those coaches? wow! Just my opinion. May be a hard lesson learned for families that have kids with this kind of talent. Get them somewhere they can be seen EVERY week. The initial sacrifice will pay off handily.

-Brother Pete

New Mexico told Jujuan Lawson the same thing. Hes now at Rhode Island. I don’t disagree That the kid has the ability and can do whatever he wants. I again I think Papa is right it’s time to find a new place.

I have forgotten to ask the obvious question. Did New Mexico offer Jordan as a quarterback or as a defensive player?

Also, FtballCoach1 I really appreciate your point of view. One thing we need to be careful of is making it a coaches responsibility to get a kid recruited. Coaches can talk up a player, but at the end of the day recruiters make these decisions and they are not stupid people. I know nothing of the SRJC coach in question, but it seems to me that Jordan should probably be on the field the lions share of the time.

Last edited:
I have forgotten to ask the obvious question. Did New Mexico offer Jordan as a quarterback or as a defensive player?

Also, FtballCoach1 I really appreciate your point of view. One thing we need to be careful of is making it a coaches responsibility to get a kid recruited. Coaches can talk up a player, but at the end of the day recruiters make these decisions and they are not stupid people. I know nothing of the SRJC coach in question, but it seems to me that Jordan should probably be on the field the lions share of the time.
New Mexico offer was for Qb.

Hey man, I get it, you’re sticking up for your guys. I think coaching is a tuff gig. I coached myself for 12 years, 11 of them as a head coach. I also believe as a coach you open yourself up for criticism and accolades. I went back and reread my post and I still feel I wasn’t bashing Lenny... at that point. Actually away from football he seems like a pretty decent guy. I put on a fundraiser for a family and called him for some JC gear to put in our auction. Right away he was onboard. We talked for about an hour (no football talk) and I learned of his and his family’s situation. Not only did he come out and support the event, he hooked us up with a awesome gift basket that went for some good $$. Like myself, he put our football stuff and disagreements aside for something pretty cool.

I have nothing to hide and I hope I didn’t throw Kevin under the bus but like you, I need to stand up for the people I love. Would to meet you, heck, all you guys and maybe have a beer. Thanks for the kinda words.

Jordon may have to switch to safety one day but as long as he’s the best Qb in a program no need to yet unless his dream school comes knocking. Lol

I don't really know you, except from this forum but you seem like a class act and the apple rarely falls far from the tree.

I don't really know you, except from this forum but you seem like a class act and the apple rarely falls far from the tree.
Thank you Bubba3000, really. That’s one of the great things about sports, almost any and everything can be solved with a beer. (As long as it’s Lagunitas). Lol.

Reactions: MC415
Bshire1, I know you read my comment so I'm editing it out.

But I did find a photo of that team taken the day they won the league championship.

Funny that 3 of those kids ended up as starting QB on their HS varsity team.

830304_10200703871102182_1432045546_o.jpg

Last edited:
North Bay kids can and do get recruited by Pac 12 programs. Scoobie Wright from Cardinal Newman. Elijah Qualls from Casa Grande. And that Goff kid from Marin Catholic.

Bshire1, you probably don't remember me but my kid played rec hoops with your kid many years ago, and I've enjoyed watching Jordan play football many times since then. I really hope he finds the great opportunity he deserves. That said, I'd respectfully advise you to delete all your posts here. You don't want prospective coaches thinking a player's dad is a problem. I know you are not "that dad". You're a good guy whose heart is in the right place, but criticizing Jordan's JC coach publicly online, no matter how well deserved, will do nothing to help your son and could harm his future prospects.

That's a great point, Quaffer. I know I have had to bite my lip, especially in high school and I said a few things that probably didn't help my son's cause. Here's a great example of a parent saying too much to too many that probably hurt her highly recruited son.

https://www.seccountry.com/south-ca...ponds-to-comments-by-brandon-mcilwains-mother

Reactions: Quaffer and Bshire1
North Bay kids can and do get recruited by Pac 12 programs. Scoobie Wright from Cardinal Newman. Elijah Qualls from Casa Grande. And that Goff kid from Marin Catholic.

Bshire1, you probably don't remember me but my kid played rec hoops with your kid many years ago, and I've enjoyed watching Jordan play football many times since then. I really hope he finds the great opportunity he deserves. That said, I'd respectfully advise you to delete all your posts here. You don't want prospective coaches thinking a player's dad is a problem. I know you are not "that dad". You're a good guy whose heart is in the right place, but criticizing Jordan's JC coach publicly online, no matter how well deserved, will do nothing to help your son and could harm his future prospects.
Hey Quaffer, I’m sure I’d remember, that was a fun team to watch. I truly appreciate the advice.

Reactions: Quaffer
First off I have really enjoyed watching Jordan though the years. My personally opinion is I really think he is a Pac12 caliber player at safety and have been saying that for years. But if his dream is to play QB then he should follow that as far as that will take him (later in life he won’t have to second guess himself).

Not really sure what is going on at SRJC this year (been a bit preoccupied by this little pain in the ass fire thing we had, so really been checked out for most of this year for all sports).

Wagner is a defensive guy. A few years ago when Simmons was the HC if you were a QB you would run though a wall to get into that system. Also Ballatore left to go to Windsor, so losing the OC might have some say in the offensive development. Just seems like alot of facfors going on, this year, young team, some coaching transitions and just this past weekend some real serious issues with part of the staff. Best of luck to Jordan. In the end it’s all life lessons and hopefully it will help shape him in his future.

First off I have really enjoyed watching Jordan though the years. My personally opinion is I really think he is a Pac12 caliber player at safety and have been saying that for years. But if his dream is to play QB then he should follow that as far as that will take him (later in life he won’t have to second guess himself).

Not really sure what is going on at SRJC this year (been a bit preoccupied by this little pain in the ass fire thing we had, so really been checked out for most of this year for all sports).

Wagner is a defensive guy. A few years ago when Simmons was the HC if you were a QB you would run though a wall to get into that system. Also Ballatore left to go to Windsor, so losing the OC might have some say in the offensive development. Just seems like alot of facfors going on, this year, young team, some coaching transitions and just this past weekend some real serious issues with part of the staff. Best of luck to Jordan. In the end it’s all life lessons and hopefully it will help shape him in his future.

Maybe he’s a Pac12 caliber safety and a Nountain West or FCS caliber QB?

If you google Brandon McIlwain's mom you will find many stories based on one Facebook comment. Nobody here, myself included is saying you're being anywhere near as flagrant as her, but we love our kids and sometimes emotions can get the better of us.
I see nothing wrong with what mom is saying Bubba3000. Lmao, just kidding. Wow is all I can say.

You’re right tho, we all want the best for our kids therefore emotions does get brought into the mix. It’s a no win situation, and when it’s all said and done, it’s only football. I’m actually looking forward to going fishing with Jordon soon as the season is over.

Bella123, you’re right on just about everything you touched on. This pass weekend’s Tragedy along with the death of a fellow truck driver today on 101 puts a lot of things into perspective. Jordon’s wants to play Qb but is willing to switch if that times come. Thank you.

Reactions: bella123
Folks this has been a really good discussion but I for one am going to bow out on it for Jordan’s sake. I would hate to think this hurts his chances in any way. Maybe a better discussion of this topic is under a different heading like “Recruiting”?

Good call B3k. As you are well aware, the coaching fraternity shrinks in college. If a player is THE hardest worker on the team, then online stuff or personal contact MAY be negated. If not, any portion thereof could be construed as negative-especially when others outside his circle meddle. Even parents who “think” they have the pulse of their player (not referring to this instance) may truly be unaware. About the only way one really knows is when a coach voluntarily offers “Your kid(s) are tough. Really tough,” or “Hands down, hardest worker on the team,” and “You did great job raising him/them.”

Until then, mums the word.

Next time I see my coach friend, he’ll still probably say “stay off the blogs!” even though mine are next level grad school/pros.

Curious to know if we're going to see the kid in question back in a Bear Cubs uni next year or if he's moving on to a 4 year school. Or still figuring that out?

Streak, is it appropriate to ask you to delete this thread for the players sake? I started a separate thread titled "Football Recruiting" to continue to discuss this player and other players more anonymously.

Brother Pete does not think it is the fault of the HS coach or the family. I have said before that this area is not exactly a hot bed for D1 football talent. If Jordon had played in the Sierra Foothill League, just a few hours away, we might be watching him on national TV every Saturday. Could you imagine Jordon at Oak Ridge or Folsom, with those systems, with those coaches? wow! Just my opinion. May be a hard lesson learned for families that have kids with this kind of talent. Get them somewhere they can be seen EVERY week. The initial sacrifice will pay off handily.

-Brother Pete

Not going to find better coaching in the Sierra particularly at QB position. Exposure? Sure

I feel really bad for the kid. Just a horrible season by the bear cubs and it may seem like a wasted experience but I'm sure the lessons learned will prove otherwise down the road. Wish him the best! Keep working hard. Good things will come.

I heard Laney College in Oakland. I'm not sure if he will be playing QB or somewhere in the secondary. I work close so I will check out some practices to verify. Hindsight is 20/20 but Newman should have played Barrington at QB and Brookshire at wideout/RB during that season. He could have played in the secondary on D as well and would be most likely playing in the Big West now. They would have been virtually unstoppable.

I heard Laney College in Oakland. I'm not sure if he will be playing QB or somewhere in the secondary. I work close so I will check out some practices to verify. Hindsight is 20/20 but Newman should have played Barrington at QB and Brookshire at wideout/RB during that season. He could have played in the secondary on D as well and would be most likely playing in the Big West now. They would have been virtually unstoppable.

Yeah he is @ Laney. Good looking athlete. Went to Santa Rosa for a year but I heard he did not like it there. 1 of 3 @ Laney competing for th he job. I think he is far & away the favorite but the word is the job is very wide open. HC is not blown away by any of them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT