ADVERTISEMENT

More Saturday Scores

PW peaking at the right time! Do they get pulled to the State Open if they take 2nd in CCS Open? If PW stays in D1 for the Norcals..watch out!
Agree. Really like how they are playing. Their defense doesn't get the respect it deserves because year in and year out, those girls compete!

It all depends on how many teams they take to Open. I do think the NCS will get at least three, SJS likely gets two if SMS and Folsom reach the finals and then of course Mitty.

And don't count out Sacred Heart Cathedral in CCS Open either

Reactions: ClayK and TheHillZ
NCS sacrificing 3 teams to the open in a year that no team in NorCal can play Mitty within 30 points would be pretty criminal but not surprising. Wouldn’t put that past Pat.

Reactions: northbaybbguru
NCS sacrificing 3 teams to the open in a year that no team in NorCal can play Mitty within 30 points would be pretty criminal but not surprising. Wouldn’t put that past Pat.
Agree. They should limit it to 6 teams (2 per section for SJS, NCS & CCS).

The challenge, if we assume Cardinal Newman is a lock for Norcal Open, is that the other top NCS teams, SRV and Carondelet, beat Pinewood earlier this season. Hard to ignore that, even if Pinewood has stepped up its game.

Agree it depends on how many teams they take, and don't forget Clovis West is still a possibility. If it's just six, it could be Mitty, Folsom, St Marys, Cardinal Newman, SRV/Carondelet and Clovis West. But it's hard to get to eight without three NCS teams.

Last edited:
We could go back to the "good old days" when Gil Lemon considered it an honor to put 4 NCS teams in the Open every year.

Meanwhile the SJS commissioner would just sit back, smile as he put SMS in and set up the rest of his teams to make deep runs in D1, D2, D3 and D4. Year in and year out the SJS commission would consistently put his teams in positions to succeed.

There are only 5 for sure Open caliber teams in the North this season.

CN
SRV
SMS
FOLSOM
MITTY

There should only be 6 MAX...

runnerup in the CCS (either PW or SHC)

Or

Bring CW north.

There's your 6....assuming no major upsets in the NCS Open or SJS D1.

The challenge, if we assume Cardinal Newman is a lock for Norcal Open, is that the other top NCS teams, SRV and Carondelet, beat Pinewood earlier this season. Hard to ignore that, even if Pinewood has stepped up its game.

Agree it depends on how many teams they take, and don't forget Clovis West is still a possibility. If it's just six, it could be Mitty, Folsom, St Marys, Cardinal Newman, SRV/Carondelet and Clovis West. But it's hard to get to eight without three NCS teams.
An 8 team open in a year where the NorCal open winner won’t play a competitive game? Doesn’t make much sense considering they only took 5 teams last year and 1 of those 5 was from the Central Section. Put all Non Mitty coaches in a truth bubble and they would all happily decline an invite to the NorCal open this season. Unless the post season was set up like March madness in the NCAA this would be a different story. Teams would sell their soul to make the big dance. A banner in the gym just for making the open. But unfortunately the current set up has the 75th best team in the state getting to claim a “state championship”. Which I understand for a small school is still really cool. If winning D3 NorCal was an “Emerald Bowl” champion you would see a lot less sand bagging to get into lower brackets.

We could go back to the "good old days" when Gil Lemon considered it an honor to put 4 NCS teams in the Open every year.

Meanwhile the SJS commissioner would just sit back, smile as he put SMS in and set up the rest of his teams to make deep runs in D1, D2, D3 and D4. Year in and year out the SJS commission would consistently put his teams in positions to succeed.
Gil Lemon… good times

If they did do an 8 team Open they should at least play it out..3 games. True 1-8 finish so its not 1 and done for 4 teams. If teams were guaranteed 3 games I would imagine there'd be a lot less grumbling.

If they did do an 8 team Open they should at least play it out..3 games. True 1-8 finish so its not 1 and done for 4 teams. If teams were guaranteed 3 games I would imagine there'd be a lot less grumbling.

I really like that, but I suspect it would take too long. CCS has a version of that with pool play in its open tournament. Every qualifier not only gets a ticket to some Norcal division, but also gets at least three (and perhaps four) more games against decent competition.

There are only 5 for sure Open caliber teams in the North this season.

CN
SRV
SMS
FOLSOM
MITTY

There should only be 6 MAX...

runnerup in the CCS (either PW or SHC)

Or

Bring CW north.

There's your 6....assuming no major upsets in the NCS Open or SJS D1.
BOD beat SMS.

Open :

1. Mitty
2. CN
3. SRV
4. Folsom
5. Clovis West
6. Piedmont/BOD

Top 2 seeds get first round bye

Division 1 seems like a good plan for everyone but Mitty. Then again, if Morgan Cheli is less than 100%, Mitty is not invulnerable. They need her to handle defensive pressure, and if she's at all hobbled, the Monarchs could struggle a bit.

Still, Mitty at its best, even without Cheli, is the best team -- but Mitty playing its not-best game against Cardinal Newman, say, playing out of its mind ...

Of course, then there's Etiwanda and Sierra Canyon.

The games still must be played no matter how good you are. Playoffs should be good this year. Open and D1 state games will exciting to watch.

Reactions: northbaybbguru
There are only 2 State Open caliber teams from the NCS and they are SRV and CN. Clet is a good D1 team but has no business being put in the State Open UNLESS they earn their way in by besting CN in the 2 vs 3 probable matchup. Otherwise they should be in D1.

Folsom and SMS are locks assuming both make it to the D1 finals. SMS has wins over SRV and CN so a runnerup finish still gets them in IMO.

Mitty (no matter what happens in the CCS open) is in. The question then becomes is there a 2nd team from the CCS? OR do they pull CW north?

I wrote about this on another thread/post. I think this is the only real question for the Norcal Open. (Assuming its a 6 team Open)
If they only do 5 again..the 5 are pretty much set IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheHillZ
There are only 2 State Open caliber teams from the NCS and they are SRV and CN. Clet is a good D1 team but has no business being put in the State Open UNLESS they earn their way in by besting CN in the 2 vs 3 probable matchup. Otherwise they should be in D1.

Folsom and SMS are locks assuming both make it to the D1 finals. SMS has wins over SRV and CN so a runnerup finish still gets them in IMO.

Mitty (no matter what happens in the CCS open) is in. The question then becomes is there a 2nd team from the CCS? OR do they pull CW north?

I wrote about this on another thread/post. I think this is the only real question for the Norcal Open. (Assuming its a 6 team Open)
If they only do 5 again..the 5 are pretty much set IMO.
interesting about the Clovis West take. Would it make more sense to take Clovis West instead of a second-place CCS team? I mean, in reality, everyone this year will be a sacrificial lamb in the open division. What is the minimum number of teams that are supposed to be in Norcal Open?

The one I really feel bad for is SRV. A public school that could win D1 could get thrust into an open division and have only a puncher's shot at winning an open championship.

interesting about the Clovis West take. Would it make more sense to take Clovis West instead of a second-place CCS team? I mean, in reality, everyone this year will be a sacrificial lamb in the open division. What is the minimum number of teams that are supposed to be in Norcal Open?

The one I really feel bad for is SRV. A public school that could win D1 could get thrust into an open division and have only a puncher's shot at winning an open championship.
I would also say the same thing for Folsom--a public school that could win D1, but could get thrust into an open division and have only a puncher's shot at winning an open championship. Folsom's record of 20-4, were all losses to private schools. Clovis West (a public school), will be moved up to the NorCal, in my humble opinion. The Southern Section is just too large and too competitive.

Reactions: Norcal_Fan
Whats interesting this year is CW would probably prefer to stay in the South this season with the Big Dawg Mitty up in the North. (Just my opinion so dont read into that statement like I have any inside info..haha..I dont)

In previous years they would have preferred to go North with so many good teams in the South but the Mitty factor changes everything.

Reactions: Norcal_Fan
Etiwanda and Sierra Canyon are also in the top six in the nation, so there's no soft landing in the South.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT