Staff
Nov 11, 2003
Here are the games for Saturday

Open:

Folsom at Mitty (Mitty)
St. Mary's at Clovis West (St. Mary's)

Division I

McClatchy at Carondelet (Carondelet)
Oak Ridge at Bishop O'Dowd (Bishop O'Dowd)

Division II

Carrillo at Colfax (Colfax)
Oakland Tech at Pleasant Valley (Oakland Tech)

Division III

Cornerstone Christian at University (Cornerstone Christian)
Caruthers at Central (Caruthers)

Division IV

Foothill at St. Bernard's (St. Bernard's)
Notre Dame at Arcata (Arcata)

Division V

Oakland at Woodland Christian (Oakland)
Crystal Springs Upland at Trinity (Crystal Springs Upland)

Folsom at Mitty (Mitty).
- Mitty over Folsom by a competitive 26
- this may be controversial but I was looking at Clovis West schedule and I don't see the tough competition that leads me to believe they will win this game. I think SMS wins this game

I don't think that is controversial. i know comparative scores arent a great metric, sometimes even a terrible metric, but as someone on here pointed out the other day, SRV beat St Joseph's of Santa Maria by 30+ a few weeks ago. Clovis West won the section final vs St Joes by 4. I'm taking SMS on the road as well. Now, I've never been to game at CW, but looks like a great home court advantage type crowd so that could play a part in the outcome.

Folsom at Mitty (Mitty).
- Mitty over Folsom by a competitive 26
- this may be controversial but I was looking at Clovis West schedule and I don't see the tough competition that leads me to believe they will win this game. I think SMS wins this game
I agree completely with this assessment GBBall4L. Confirming that the (St. Mary's) you but in parenthesis is who you're predicting wins and not the game location. I too think SMS will win this game but also believe SMS got screwed by the seedings. They should have been #2 and this game should be in Stockton. Clovis is a tough place to play with one of the best girls high school home court advantages there is. Still think SMS pulls it out though.

Reactions: GBBall4L
I don't think that is controversial. i know comparative scores arent a great metric, sometimes even a terrible metric, but as someone on here pointed out the other day, SRV beat St Joseph's of Santa Maria by 30+ a few weeks ago. Clovis West won the section final vs St Joes by 4. I'm taking SMS on the road as well. Now, I've never been to game at CW, but looks like a great home court advantage type crowd so that could play a part in the outcome.
it will be absolutely packed... and it is a double header too... all of fresno will be there for sure... when the boys played MC 2 years ago they set up a special seating area with reserved chairs.

Reactions: OnBall8
I'll take a stab and start a discussion on the D1 Semi's.

BOD over Oak Ridge. Looking at OR's body of work, they seem to always avoid the Bay Area power teams until the post season. OR tends to rely on a favorable MaxPreps ranking (due to their Sierra Foothill League status), giving them a favorable seeding and home games until the semi's at both the section level and NorCal level. This will be their first encounter, playing away, against a competitive Bay Area team this season. Also OR doesn't have a "significant win" against a California "power school" this season.

Carondelet over McClatchy. BUT a very close game. Outside of the Open Division, this has to be the most intriguing game in the NorCals. 1) Carondelet is favored; 2) Carondelet has the better ranking in NorCalPreps, MaxPreps, and CalHiSports; 3) Carondelet has a stronger SOS; 4) Carondelet is playing at home; 5) Carondelet is a private school and has the reputation; 6) Carondelet is expected to win.

But, McClatchy possess the intangible--motivation. McClatchy was insulted, shafted, robbed, disrespected by the CIF. In today's Sacramento Bee Sports, its reported that the McClatchy team (players, coaches, alumni, fans) now have a "chip on its shoulder." They have nothing to lose--they know they are "considered" the underdog. They already won two very close games on the road. All the pressure is on Carondelet. There is no pressure on McClatchy. This makes them a very dangerous team to play against. A McClatchy win also makes for a great story going forward. Has a #16 seed ever make it to the regional NorCal final.

In regards to D2...

Did anyone else think the brackets were all screwed up?

It's looks to me like there were 5 or 6 teams in the bottom bracket that would beat EVERY team in the top bracket.

And how in the world was Carrillo given a 9 and OT a 10??? Inconceivable...so if both win the finals are at Carrillo? That's insane...

Just another seeding headscratcher I guess.

Clovis West got a mid year transfer post from SJM (not sure how she was cleared) but that helps them in the paint drastically. Kid is about 6’4 and can clogged up the area.

Reactions: GBBall4L
In regards to D2...

Did anyone else think the brackets were all screwed up?

It's looks to me like there were 5 or 6 teams in the bottom bracket that would beat EVERY team in the top bracket.

And how in the world was Carrillo given a 9 and OT a 10??? Inconceivable...so if both win the finals are at Carrillo? That's insane...

Just another seeding headscratcher I guess.
Yes! I think the top 3-4 teams in the division are in the bottom half. And why can't they ever seed Oakland Tech coorectly (besides last year)?

I'll take a stab and start a discussion on the D1 Semi's.

BOD over Oak Ridge. Looking at OR's body of work, they seem to always avoid the Bay Area power teams until the post season. OR tends to rely on a favorable MaxPreps ranking (due to their Sierra Foothill League status), giving them a favorable seeding and home games until the semi's at both the section level and NorCal level. This will be their first encounter, playing away, against a competitive Bay Area team this season. Also OR doesn't have a "significant win" against a California "power school" this season.

Carondelet over McClatchy. BUT a very close game. Outside of the Open Division, this has to be the most intriguing game in the NorCals. 1) Carondelet is favored; 2) Carondelet has the better ranking in NorCalPreps, MaxPreps, and CalHiSports; 3) Carondelet has a stronger SOS; 4) Carondelet is playing at home; 5) Carondelet is a private school and has the reputation; 6) Carondelet is expected to win.

But, McClatchy possess the intangible--motivation. McClatchy was insulted, shafted, robbed, disrespected by the CIF. In today's Sacramento Bee Sports, its reported that the McClatchy team (players, coaches, alumni, fans) now have a "chip on its shoulder." They have nothing to lose--they know they are "considered" the underdog. They already won two very close games on the road. All the pressure is on Carondelet. There is no pressure on McClatchy. This makes them a very dangerous team to play against. A McClatchy win also makes for a great story going forward. Has a #16 seed ever make it to the regional NorCal final.
I have the same picks but feel better about O'Dowd than Carondelet. Their game against McClatchy will be one of the best games of the night IMO

Reactions: northbaybbguru
If you were ever gonna catch Mitty, tonight might have been the night what with two injured starters working their way back into the rotation with first playing time in awhile and the team not looking as in sync as one might expect. But alas, they made the big shots and got the big stops when the pressure was on. May be no stopping them now.

If you were ever gonna catch Mitty, tonight might have been the night what with two injured starters working their way back into the rotation with first playing time in awhile and the team not looking as in sync as one might expect. But alas, they made the big shots and got the big stops when the pressure was on. May be no stopping them now.

True Or it could have been the fact that playoff basketball is different and the defensive pressure is much more intense. Teams are less likely to sit around and let you put plays together without trying to disrupt things. Cheli looked strong in her return. If Mitty and Etiwanda meet up again that will be a treat for Girls hoops fans.

Last edited:
Considering what Mitty did to Clovis West, Peninsula Pete's points ring very true.

One game to work out the kinks, and BOOM!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT