ADVERTISEMENT

My day at Riordan

colhenrylives

Hall of Famer
Sep 25, 2009
Delightful. How else to describe a visit to Riordan's tidy, compact campus off the former Phelan Avenue Saturday afternoon? It was our first in five years. The weather was stunning, the views out toward the old, abandoned reservoir land terrific. The football game that pitted San Francisco neighbor St. Ignatius against the home team became almost secondary. Almost.

Riordan authorities have done a splendid job of renovating and jamming as many athletic amenities onto a very limited site as possible (the lack of a turfed practice field cannot be helpful, especially with the new coed component). With no bleachers on the visitors' side of the multi-purpose field, seating capacity is inadequate for an important game like Saturday's. Well over 2,000 fans attended the affair and too many of them had to stand. It didn't seem to matter much, however.

With no actual restrooms available, a row of portable loos (not good at all for the handicapped) stood like blue sentinels near the excellent tri-tip grilling operation. Since a baseball diamond intrudes partially onto the football field (all on artificial turf), we wound up sitting on ancient, well-preserved Candlestick Park seats along the first base line at one point. Very nice. But viewing there was less than wonderful.

Parking, of course, is problematic but that's always the case in a city like SF. The public address system is poor but that may be a product of rules limiting sound volume at a field that tightly abuts residential properties on two sides. There were no cheer squads for either school. Perhaps the most attractive aspect of the Riordan football experience is the school's nattily-attired marching band, without doubt the finest and most melodious in that urban community. High marks for them.

As for the ballgame itself, a 41-34 Riordan victory, it did not lack action, good, bad and, sometimes, ugly. Far too many glitches, gaffes and goofs by both units. The referees were busy. But Riordan was clearly the stronger outfit, bigger, faster, deeper. On balance, the Riordan football experience is worth a try. It's different, unique in many ways, nothing like that found to the south in the WCAL's more spacious and accommodating suburban venues.

One more thing. We found nothing but friendly, helpful individuals at the entrance gates and at the field itself. High marks for one and all when it comes to people skills and organization. Nice work. We'll be back, seating availability or not. Those tri-tips beckon.

Last edited:
Glad you came out @colhenrylives !! I'm sure you and yours would have been welcome at the Alumni get together that was held in the Courtyard...More temporary bleachers including on the visitor side may be needed (like VC does) as this program keeps on an upward path. Riordan's Frosh/Soph team remain undefeated by edging SI's JVs yesterday.

Last edited:
Way, way back in the day, Riordan did not play many home football games on campus at all. Facilities simply were not adequate for a varsity contest. They instead utilized old Kezar Stadium, Jefferson High School in Daly City, South San Francisco High School and, when it existed, even old Seals Stadium on occasion. There may have been other rentals as well.

Way, way back in the day, Riordan did not play many home football games on campus at all. Facilities simply were not adequate for a varsity contest. They instead utilized old Kezar Stadium, Jefferson High School in Daly City, South San Francisco High School and, when it existed, even old Seals Stadium on occasion. There may have been other rentals as well.
Across the street at City College of San Francisco too. One of the rare wins played there against the Bells way back in the 80’s.

Across the street at City College of San Francisco too. One of the rare wins played there against the Bells way back in the 80’s.
Forgot about CCSF. My bad. Turns out Riordan did not beat the Bells at any point in the 1980s. They did manage that feat in 1993, however. Perhaps that game was played at CCSF. Where is Patrick Segurson and his vast knowledge of Riordan sports history when we really need him?

Last edited:
Delightful. How else to describe a visit to Riordan's tidy, compact campus off the former Phelan Avenue Saturday afternoon? It was our first in five years. The weather was stunning, the views out toward the old, abandoned reservoir land terrific. The football game that pitted San Francisco neighbor St. Ignatius against the home team became almost secondary.

Riordan authorities have done a splendid job of cramming as many athletic amenities onto a very limited site as possible. With no bleachers on the visitors' side of the multi-purpose field, seating capacity is inadequate for an important game like Saturday's. Well over 2,000 fans attended the affair and too many of them had to stand. It didn't seem to matter much, however.

With no actual restrooms available, a row of portable loos (not good at all for the handicapped) stood like blue sentinels near the excellent tri-tip grilling operation. Since a baseball diamond intrudes partially onto the football field (all on artificial turf), we wound up sitting on ancient, well-preserved Candlestick Park seats along the first base line at one point. Very nice. But viewing there was less than wonderful.

Parking, of course, is problematic but that's always the case in a city like SF. The public address system is poor but that may be a product of rules limiting sound volume at a field that tightly abuts residential properties on two sides. There were no cheer squads for either school. Perhaps the most attractive aspect of the Riordan football experience is the school's marching band, without doubt the finest and most melodious in that urban community. High marks for them.

As for the ballgame itself, a 41-34 Riordan victory, it did not lack action, good, bad and, sometimes, ugly. Far too many glitches, gaffes and goofs by both units. But Riordan was clearly the stronger outfit, bigger, faster, deeper. On balance, the Riordan football experience is worth a try. It's different, unique in many ways, nothing like that found to the south in the WCAL's more spacious and accommodating suburban venues.

One more thing. We found nothing but friendly, helpful individuals at the entrance gates and at the field itself. High marks for one and all when it comes to people skills and organization. Nice work. We'll be back, seating availability or not.
Nice recap and spot-on! You should try a Riordan home basketball game against any of the City rivals as that is also a unique experience.

I remember watching a Riordan “home game” vs. Bells at Terra Nova HS several years ago when Fordon was R’s head coach. Bells won in a close game.

I guess it is now unanimously agreed:
There is a New Attitude & the bringing in the Next Episode has arrived at Riordan.

I have to admit after visiting the new SI sport Complex in Pacifica this past week, Riordan has to do more with less,…

But that is also the #TheLegacy of Riordan, that SO many Alumni attested too IN Alumni celebrations

Btw…Thank you Coach Adhir & Crew for the return of Camelot😎

• Haha
Reactions: Irish_Cheers
Forgot about CCSF. My bad. Turns out Riordan did not beat the Bells at any point in the 1980s. They did manage that feat in 1993, however. Perhaps that game was played at CCSF. Where is Patrick Segurson and his vast knowledge of Riordan sports history when we really need him?
It may have been in ‘79. Shows how much the Bells have had Riordan’s number.

Whatever his particular ways of dealing with the media and others may be, Patrick's expertise re Riordan and its history were most helpful over the decades. He is still active but not so much on Phelan Avenue (oops).

Whatever his particular ways of dealing with the media and others may be, Patrick's expertise re Riordan and its history were most helpful over the decades. He is still active but not so much on Phelan Avenue (oops).
I believe ( and was DM’s) ARHStats may feel his Associated with WCAL conference is distancing his personal loyalty,….NO suggestions of False Narriatives 🥺

I believe ( and was DM’s) ARHStats may feel his Associated with WCAL conference is distancing his personal loyalty,….NO suggestions of False Narriatives 🥺
He does spend time at St. Francis for sure. But he is missed at Riordan. By the way, since the old reservoir adjacent to the Riordan campus remains (though empty), would it be fair to dub the Crusader football team as "Reservoir Dogs?" Mull that one at your creative leisure.

• Haha
Reactions: kiddman32
He does spend time at St. Francis for sure. But he is missed at Riordan. By the way, since the old reservoir adjacent to the Riordan campus remains (though empty), would it be fair to dub the Crusader football team as "Reservoir Dogs?" Mull that one at your creative leisure.
It sounds like they’ll stick to the Coach Prime’s notes found in @iamgearyblvd mythical bag

# Dawgs & Leaders

Btw….@CCSF; Riordan Alumnus indicated old reservoirs are going to be additional parking ( our tax $$ investing into the community )

Last edited:
Last edited:
Whoa. Calm your jets. Be careful what you wish for. Buffs have 49 transfers this year. A total of 57 players left the program earlier. Is that the new Riordan model?
It seems like students are wanting to transfer IN, Coach Adhir and Coach Joey are attracting solid student/athletes who want to a part if their;
#NewAttitude
#NextEpisode

• Haha
It seems like students are wanting to transfer IN, Coach Adhir and Coach Joey are attracting solid student/athletes who want to a part if their;
#NewAttitude
#NextEpisode
sorry you got that backwards. its athlete/student. if "new attitude" means bailing on your team right before league starts for John Tesh Red Rocks "school" in the desert, then by all means you can have all of that.

LOL "attracting" = 💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰

sorry you got that backwards. its athlete/student. if "new attitude" means bailing on your team right before league starts for John Tesh Red Rocks "school" in the desert, then by all means you can have all of that.

LOL "attracting" = 💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰
Yet a 4 star kid who left for a Prep School returns “home” to the school he entered as a freshman.

Yet a 4 star kid who left for a Prep School returns “home” to the school he entered as a freshman.
Yah I'll buy that one. Sure why not except for the point that usually ones that leave the city to cheaper, nicer, more bang for your buck areas like Sac (relatively speaking), dont come back unless stated by the dad that he got a new job back in the city. Good for the family top down. Always cool to see the greats and their next generations keep the school tradition going. I wonder if Tommy plays and can dominate like his dad on the court as well.

I guess it is now unanimously agreed:
There is a New Attitude & the bringing in the Next Episode has arrived at Riordan.

I have to admit after visiting the new SI sport Complex in Pacifica this past week, Riordan has to do more with less,…

But that is also the #TheLegacy of Riordan, that SO many Alumni attested too IN Alumni celebrations

Btw…Thank you Coach Adhir & Crew for the return of Camelot😎
PACIFICA !!!lol back in the day 70-80's you could always spot a Riordan Rabbit....black hoodie, pasty white dude, hair parted down the middle which basically reaked of, "Don't F..K with me" lol good times

every school in the WCAL has
Not gonna lie @rwccaptain42 , last WCAL title for Riordan was 2000. and every team has had their way over the Crusaders since. That year, Patrick Walsh was named HC at Serra. The Padres (as every other team with the exception of SF and Bellarmine) had quite a drought as its last WCAL title was in 1972 that was shared with Riordan. The Crusaders had a CCS title in that span notwithstanding and some exciting league games - including a memorable barnburner in 2015 that saw the Crusaders topping the Padres 66-45. Don't think we'll ever see a high scoring game like that again! TThe common denominator with Serra, SF and Bellarmine's runs have been an established Head Coach in place over decades...
The arrival of Coach Ravipati has created quite the buzz. The entire Riordan community is supportive. Last Saturday was great to see. Walsh was in his 30's when he took the helm. Ravipati was 34 when he took over. The foundation and support is in place. Keeping continuity will be key.

Last edited:
Reactions: rwccaptain42
Walsh took over at Serra in 2001. Valley Christian and Machado arrived as MCAL (Mostly Catholic Athletic League) members in 2002. Those two moves changed the league's calculus right off the bat. Things haven't been the same since. The old St. Francis/Bellarmine dual monopoly on football championships was history. Time will tell if Riordan can make a consistent splash in the league's title chase.

Last edited:
Reactions: FBAddict
Delightful. How else to describe a visit to Riordan's tidy, compact campus off the former Phelan Avenue Saturday afternoon? It was our first in five years. The weather was stunning, the views out toward the old, abandoned reservoir land terrific. The football game that pitted San Francisco neighbor St. Ignatius against the home team became almost secondary. Almost.

Riordan authorities have done a splendid job of renovating and jamming as many athletic amenities onto a very limited site as possible (the lack of a turfed practice field cannot be helpful, especially with the new coed component). With no bleachers on the visitors' side of the multi-purpose field, seating capacity is inadequate for an important game like Saturday's. Well over 2,000 fans attended the affair and too many of them had to stand. It didn't seem to matter much, however.

Parking, of course, is problematic but that's always the case in a city like SF. The public address system is poor but that may be a product of rules limiting sound volume at a field that tightly abuts residential properties on two sides. There were no cheer squads for either school. Perhaps the most attractive aspect of the Riordan football experience is the school's nattily-attired marching band, without doubt the finest and most melodious in that urban community. High marks for them.

As for the ballgame itself, a 41-34 Riordan victory, it did not lack action, good, bad and, sometimes, ugly. Far too many glitches, gaffes and goofs by both units. The referees were busy. But Riordan was clearly the stronger outfit, bigger, faster, deeper. On balance, the Riordan football experience is worth a try. It's different, unique in many ways, nothing like that found to the south in the WCAL's more spacious and accommodating suburban venues.

One more thing. We found nothing but friendly, helpful individuals at the entrance gates and at the field itself. High marks for one and all when it comes to people skills and organization. Nice work. We'll be back, seating availability or not. Those tri-tips beckon.
Awesome recap. I love the memory lane revisit. My uncle just had his 60th anniversary at Riordan. He was amazed by the investment in facilities and campus. Riordan was often seen as the blue collar school back in the day. The money was at SI. Maybe that hasn’t changed?

Sadly, 50 of his 200 classmates have passed but they still had a great turnout. My other uncle had lots of track records on phelan Avenue. They were st Cecilia kids along with my mom.

PACIFICA !!!lol back in the day 70-80's you could always spot a Riordan Rabbit....black hoodie, pasty white dude, hair parted down the middle which basically reaked of, "Don't F..K with me" lol good times
And tell me how that applies with Adhir or Joey; lmao

Your sightings are SO long ago, Riordan almost changed location to Serramonte HS,…

There is a New Attitude & Coaches Adhir and Joey are taking Riordan to the Next Episode

This season is about the “@KingsOFKezar”
& CCS
The future will be about league titles, last year R walked, now R is running,….Development of Dawgs & Leaders

Last edited:
Yah I'll buy that one. Sure why not except for the point that usually ones that leave the city to cheaper, nicer, more bang for your buck areas like Sac (relatively speaking), dont come back unless stated by the dad that he got a new job back in the city. Good for the family top down. Always cool to see the greats and their next generations keep the school tradition going. I wonder if Tommy plays and can dominate like his dad on the court as well.
I know I bust on you every chance I get, but @iamgearyblvd,…I am starting think you like the attention🥰

But your INTEL, is just a way to interject False Narriatives

C’Mom Man…this is a NorCal HS prep message board. NOT a couple of news networks that promote False Narriatives?

Last edited:
Awesome recap. I love the memory lane revisit. My uncle just had his 60th anniversary at Riordan. He was amazed by the investment in facilities and campus. Riordan was often seen as the blue collar school back in the day. The money was at SI. Maybe that hasn’t changed?

Sadly, 50 of his 200 classmates have passed but they still had a great turnout. My other uncle had lots of track records on phelan Avenue. They were st Cecilia kids along with my mom.
Nice post Larry I always enjoy the reminiscent/historical dimension posts of this site.

Reactions: jordan24 and MC415
I know I bust on you every chance I get, but @iamgearyblvd,…I am starting think you like the attention🥰

But your INTEL, is just a way to interject False Narriatives

C’Mom Man…this is a NorCal HS prep message board. NOT a couple of news networks that promote False Narriatives?
Laughable!!! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Don't ever change! Just remember, nothing here is personal. And well done last Saturday! You guys finally figured out that if you run the ball, no one is stopping you you. Well that is until you guys go up against Serra. I have Serra a -17 favorite vs Riordan.

Laughable!!! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Don't ever change! Just remember, nothing here is personal. And well done last Saturday! You guys finally figured out that if you run the ball, no one is stopping you you. Well that is until you guys go up against Serra. I have Serra a -17 favorite vs Riordan.
C’Mon Mann,

Now you can’t start wishing others programs than your own to beat Riordan.

There are SO many analogies for that one;Lol

Nice post Larry I always enjoy the reminiscent/historical dimension posts of this site.
Same concrete. Love the old stuff and the memories.
Amazing how I can’t remember where I put my keys but 30 years ago I vividly recall sitting watching the crusader classic or the open gym runs at west sunset rec.

All digs and disses aside, Riordan, looking at it objectively, is no doubt a serious factor, both in the WCAL and CCS. Their roster is impressive and reinforcements are on the way. Admittedly, Serra, in the best three-season run ever at the school, whether at the old campus on Alameda de las Pulgas or at the "new" one on West 20th Avenue, is a major roadblock this year. Next year? That's going to be an entirely different tale of the tape. One modest warning too: Don't sleep on St. Francis, either now or in the future. The Lancers are no walk in the papal park.

Same concrete. Love the old stuff and the memories.
Amazing how I can’t remember where I put my keys but 30 years ago I vividly recall sitting watching the crusader classic or the open gym runs at west sunset rec.
No Worries. I read a recent observation about misplacing your keys or $30.00 TV Remote............ it took the US Government a couple days to find a +$75. million lost airplane.

C’Mon Mann,

Now you can’t start wishing others programs than your own to beat Riordan.

There are SO many analogies for that one;Lol
Youre reading between the lines too much. I said I have Serra as a -17 pt favorite. That is not the same as I want Serra to win. I want any city team to do well (except SI).

Youre reading between the lines too much. I said I have Serra as a -17 pt favorite. That is not the same as I want Serra to win. I want any city team to do well (except SI).
Solid😎😎

The match set contest vs Serra & St. Francis are games of the games week. But to come out of that storm and with SHC as the sweet tea at the end, means there will be a lot of fury to be exhaled,…

Additionally with the WCAL title probably set by then, means the mythical “KingsOfKezar” has more meaning and value

Last edited:
  • Haha
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT