ADVERTISEMENT

National Championship and California Open Seeding 11 Games in 5 days

becoolpt55

Hall of Famer
Aug 20, 2017
San Jose
Friday 1/18/19 Miami CD @ Germantown(17-0)
Friday 1/18/19 Centennial @ Sacramento
Saturday 1/19/19 Africentric vs Hamilton Heights(15-1)
Saturday 1/19/19 Bishop Montgomery vs Salesian
Saturday 1/19/19 Centennial vs Etiwanda
Sunday 1/20/19 PVI @St Johns
Monday 1/21/19 Bishop Montgomery vs Centennial
Monday 1/21/19 Etiwanda vs SMS
Monday 1/21/19 Mitty @ Clet
Monday 1/21/19 Winward vs Clovis West
Tuesday 1/22/19 St Johns @ Bishop McNamara(Part One of the 3 Part Series)

Reactions: Paytc
Friday 1/18/19 Miami CD @ Germantown(17-0)
Friday 1/18/19 Centennial @ Sacramento
Saturday 1/19/19 Africentric vs Hamilton Heights(15-1)
Saturday 1/19/19 Bishop Montgomery vs Salesian
Saturday 1/19/19 Centennial vs Etiwanda
Sunday 1/20/19 PVI @St Johns
Monday 1/21/19 Bishop Montgomery vs Centennial
Monday 1/21/19 Etiwanda vs SMS
Monday 1/21/19 Mitty @ Clet
Monday 1/21/19 Winward vs Clovis West
Tuesday 1/22/19 St Johns @ Bishop McNamara(Part One of the 3 Part Series)

I'm personally looking forward to seeing the results of many of those games. It's always good to see teams that may be falsely ranked too high because of perhaps a lack of a strong enough challenge, finally get somewhat tested. Sierra Canyon recently passed their best challenge of the season IMO with a victory over Windward. Sure that was impressive. But had they been able to pull that victory off on the road, @ the Nike TOC, sandwiched in between games with St. Johns, MCD, New Hope, Centennial, etc... I would be far more impressed. Because it's much easier to get up for one tough local game every 2 months than four tough ones back to back in four days on the road at typically the toughest national tournament in the nation.

That said, if any team is able to upset Centennial at this point, even in a local one game match up, I'd be really impressed. There obviously are good teams who could beat Centennial, St. Johns, MCD and everyone else. That is why to really determine the national champion there is a need to gather the so call top 16 or 32 teams and have an end of the season Nike sponsored National Prep girls basketball championship. Kind of like the pre season Nike TOC in Arizona. So we can welcome those who have exams and/ or other excuses that cause them to not be able to make it to Arizona. And preliminary rounds can be held in California, Texas, and/or Maryland to accommodate those who who don't travel. Bring the game to the duckers so there are less doubt and no suckers. Disclaimer: This is just my opinion.

So Sierra Canyon traveling to Las Vegas to beat quality teams, and then traveling to Oregon to beat quality teams doesn't count?

All credit to those teams that do go to the Nike TOC, but remember that dropping into the loser's bracket changes everything. Or getting into the winner's bracket, which is what happened to Salesian. If Salesian loses to Centennial, the odds of winning three games go way up, which circles back to my Sierra Canyon point -- they won winner's bracket games on the road at competitive tournaments. What else do they need to do?

Reactions: colhenrylives
So Sierra Canyon traveling to Las Vegas to beat quality teams, and then traveling to Oregon to beat quality teams doesn't count?

All credit to those teams that do go to the Nike TOC, but remember that dropping into the loser's bracket changes everything. Or getting into the winner's bracket, which is what happened to Salesian. If Salesian loses to Centennial, the odds of winning three games go way up, which circles back to my Sierra Canyon point -- they won winner's bracket games on the road at competitive tournaments. What else do they need to do?

What else do they need to do? Answer: Go to the Nike TOC (battle four tough teams on the road back to back)

Winning in winner's brackets
where no notable top 10 or top 20 national teams are at isn't taking on the toughest challenge IMO.

What can be done to determine a true national champion?

Have (Nike) one of the richest organizations on earth, who also practically run the sports industry, create a end of the season Nike TOC tournament to compliment and aid the pre season tournament they have already in place, the Arizona Nike TOC. To better determine a national champion and not crown a fake one.

As far as Sierra Canyon goes, traveling to Las Vegas and playing in a tournament in which Nevada's best team (Centennial) isn't in, and one of the better Las Vegas schools Bishop Gorman is having an off year, isn't that impressive to me. And when getting to Oregon and for whatever reason not playing South ridge, perhaps Oregon's best team, again seems a bit suspect in terms of impressing someone that distinguishes better between great, impressive, and pretty good.

Sierra Canyon's win over Windward ( their best win this season) was pretty impressive. As I said doing that at the Nike TOC sandwiched in between games with the likes of MCD, St. Johns, New Hope, Centennial etc... would have been by far more impressive IMO.

Last edited:
What else do they need to do? Answer: Go to the Nike TOC (battle four tough teams on the road back to back)

Winning in winner's brackets
where no notable top 10 or top 20 national teams are at isn't taking on the toughest challenge IMO.

Have (Nike) one of the richest organizations on earth, who also practically run the sports industry, create a end of the season Nike TOC tournament to compliment and aid the pre season tournament they have already in place, the Arizona Nike TOC. To better determine a national champion and not crown a fake one.

As far as Sierra Canyon goes, traveling to Las Vegas and playing in a tournament in which Nevada's best team (Centennial) isn't in, and one of the better Las Vegas schools Bishop Gorman is having an off year, isn't that impressive to me. And when getting to Oregon and for whatever reason not playing South ridge, perhaps Oregon's best team, again seems a bit suspect in terms of impressing someone that distinguishes better between great, impressive, and pretty good.

Sierra Canyon's win over Windward ( their best win this season) was pretty impressive. As I said doing that at the Nike TOC sandwiched in between games with the likes of MCD, St. Johns, New Hope, Centennial etc... would have been by far more impressive IMO.
So no California teams will be there and most other regular high schools since they are not allowed to play after the State Championships.

To better determine a national champion and not crown a fake one.

any national champion "crown" is fake. or rather, in someone's head, not on it. an opinion, not a fact,

the less additional time and energy (more games, more travel) a group of high school players spend to make an opinionated adult more certain about the "truth" of his opinion, the better. as if he's not already certain. they're better off just playing basketball, and at season's end, moving on to something else. like academics, or other extracurriculars.

Last edited:
The GEICO at season's end already exists -- but few states allow teams to play.

any national champion "crown" is fake. or rather, in someone's head, not on it. an opinion, not a fact,

the less additional time and energy (more games, more travel) a group of high school players spend to make an opinionated adult more certain about the "truth" of his opinion, the better. as if he's not already certain. they're better off just playing basketball, and at season's end, moving on to something else. like academics, or other extracurriculars.

True let those who want to end with their local state championship end there. But for those kids, coaches, and teams who would like to battle it out nationally they might see it differently. And those who do it would be a tournament for that group.

This is just a suggestion, not a mandate.

So no California teams will be there and most other regular high schools since they are not allowed to play after the State Championships.

That is why we have amendments to laws and rules. If the idea took off perhaps the rule would bend?

This is just a suggestion, not a mandate.

no such thing. another tournament will simply result in the arguments/disagreements over "ranking" (an adult sport) continuing for another week. you adults can just extend your arguing for another week without the kids.

California has a kid-centered policy of placing limits on the season of a sport. apparently, it's not the only state. basketball is a good thing. more of a good thing is not better. sometimes, enough is best. certainly, enough is enough.

kids who want to continue to play have AAU/other club options. your proposal to extend the season is solely to extend the "rankings" season, which can be essentially endless.

as to your saying your suggestion is not a mandate: why state the obvious, let alone repeat it? and, thank heaven.

Last edited:
no such thing. another tournament will simply result in the arguments/disagreements over "ranking" (an adult sport) continuing for another week. you adults can just extend your arguing for another week without the kids.

California has a kid-centered policy of placing limits on the season of a sport. apparently, it's not the only state. basketball is a good thing. more of a good thing is not better. sometimes, enough is best. certainly, enough is enough.

kids who want to continue to play have AAU/other club options. your proposal to extend the season is solely to extend the "rankings" season, which can be essentially endless.

as to your saying your suggestion is not a mandate: why state the obvious, let alone repeat it? and, thank heaven.

I must admit, I'm guilty. I enjoy hearing and seeing myself talking a little smack. And getting under the skin of tight ass snakes, gators, and haters. I don't really care if they make any changes in girls basketball or not.

getting under the skin of tight ass snakes, gators, and haters

get up (you fell walking backward) and look in the mirror. your name-calling says more about you than about those who disagree with you.

I regret my now-deleted reference to The First Aid Kit in a Jar. meant to accent "slippery" but realize it could have other connotations. I apologize.

Last edited:
you mean people who disagree with your suggestions? just can't stand it, eh?

after you wipe off the vaseline, slippery fella, look in the mirror. your name-calling says more about you than about those who disagree with you.

I love a variety of opinions. And don't have a problem when others disagree as that (variety) is the beauty in the world. But playing policeman in every situation even after getting off duty or because you didn't have what it took to get on the force also explains a lot. If the shoes fit any of us we just have to be big enough to wear them. And be thankful we can take them off when we peacefully fall asleep at night. I own the fact I'm not perfect. But I often thank God I'm not a hater.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT