ADVERTISEMENT

NCS D1

inazone1

Rookie
Nov 3, 2008
Well the seeds are out what are some of the predictions/ upsets that will take place.I believe liberty is a sleeper team
In the mix as well as San leandro could
be dangerous or will we see a round 3
Match up.with dela and Dublin in the finals?

I think it's most likely a DLS and Dublin rematch but I'll say that DLS' biggest threat before the final will be San Leandro and Dublin's biggest threat before the final is Logan.

I don't see any round one upsets happening honestly looking at the bracket but I think San Leandro and College Park might the closest game overall.

Liberty gets DLS in round 2 and is the lower seed in round 1, so unless they beat DLS I don't see them being a sleeper. If they beat DLS, then that would be a giant killer. I'd go with DLS-Dublin in the finals, but wouldn't be surprised if Logan or SL crept in there either.

CP (5) at SL (4) in round 2 does look like it could be a good one. Monte Vista (6) at Logan (3) is another one.

Agree with Liberty to an extent.... But, that Oak Ridge win was a bit of a trap game for the trojans. They were coming off an emotional 2 pt loss at buzzer to Folsom on Friday night and turned around and played Liberty the next day. No excuses but I had that circled as a loss. And in all honesty, Liberty is better than OR but they don't play in the SJS. And I still don't really know what happened when DLS lost to OR in Palm Springs. Where they healthy?

Liberty went undefeated in league . Football guys are in a groove now.
Liberty has two studs in McInnis and Newman.
McInnis very tough cover for any guards. Just makes plays.
Newman very strong around the basket and athletic.

Could surprise DELA or Dublin.

Liberty did get hosed with a 8 seed probaly should have been a 5 at worst sets up a possible 2nd round game at dela .on another note its time to limit playoffs
To 12 teams per division some of these teams qualifying with LOSING records
Or really soft strength of schedules is a joke.as we all know ncs wants that elevated
Price of admission for first round blowouts so that will probably never happen.

Last edited:
I was comparing the seedings with the last MaxPrep 'predictions' (posted after Friday's game, but before EBAL championships). they matched each other pretty closely, within one slot, from 1 to 16. Some of the bigger differences were #15 Arroyo (12 in MP),#11 Freedom (17 in MP) and #13 Granada (16 in MP). I think the committee rewarded/dinged strength of schedule in these cases. Biggest loser would be Pitt who was 14 in MP, but left out. 3-7 league record must be the cause (although Granada's 4-9 including 2 over Livermore didn't seem to hurt them). Freedom seems to be the big winner; a first round matchup vs Monte Vista seems better than with one of the top 2, and sets them up with Logan if they were to pull off an upset. Nice to see Irvington make the field (even if the prize is a matchup with DLS!).

I was comparing the seedings with the last MaxPrep 'predictions' (posted after Friday's game, but before EBAL championships). they matched each other pretty closely, within one slot, from 1 to 16. Some of the bigger differences were #15 Arroyo (12 in MP),#11 Freedom (17 in MP) and #13 Granada (16 in MP). I think the committee rewarded/dinged strength of schedule in these cases. Biggest loser would be Pitt who was 14 in MP, but left out. 3-7 league record must be the cause (although Granada's 4-9 including 2 over Livermore didn't seem to hurt them). Freedom seems to be the big winner; a first round matchup vs Monte Vista seems better than with one of the top 2, and sets them up with Logan if they were to pull off an upset. Nice to see Irvington make the field (even if the prize is a matchup with DLS!).

Thanks Dr. Mike! We kept it close in our first meeting with DLS. Our boys are young and have lots of heart. Win or lose we made it and I’m extremely happy about how far we’ve come as a program.

I believe Branson meets the open criteria
over DLS or Dublin neither played in a section final last year I think people forget
Heritage last year's NCS d1 winner was not
selected for open because they did not meet
The criteria. I would not count out Logan
or San leandro from winning ncs.

I believe Branson meets the open criteria
over DLS or Dublin neither played in a section final last year I think people forget
Heritage last year's NCS d1 winner was not
selected for open because they did not meet
The criteria. I would not count out Logan
or San leandro from winning ncs.

I don’t think that’s the reason they didn’t go to the Open last year. It’s my understanding they’ve done away with “criteria” and they now just put what they consider the best 8 teams in, with a cap of 4 from any section. Salesian and BOD were the only 2 NCS teams selected.

Last edited:
I believe they don’t hold firm to the criteria anymore. I think NCS sends four this year and one won’t be Branson. If Section playoffs go as expected, I think they go D1

Got it didnt know they did away with criteria
So does the ccs open winner go open also?

Got it didnt know they did away with criteria
So does the ccs open winner go open also?

I would think they’d have to take them, even if it’s a team with a few more losses than Mitty or Riordan. I don’t think there’s been a season yet where at least one team from the CCS, NCS or SJS hasn’t been in the Open. It wouldn’t be right to just have 4 each from NCS & SJS, even in a down year for the CCS top teams. The inter-sectional matchups are great to see.

CCS Opens winner has gone to the Norcal Open every year, and the runner up has gone 4 of the 6 years as well. Unless someone like SI wins the Open,i think Serra, Mitty, Bellarmine and Riordan all have a shot of being put into the Norcal open if the make it into the championship game.

CCS Opens winner has gone to the Norcal Open every year, and the runner up has gone 4 of the 6 years as well. Unless someone like SI wins the Open,i think Serra, Mitty, Bellarmine and Riordan all have a shot of being put into the Norcal open if the make it into the championship game.

A lot will depend on how it goes in the SJS and NCS sectional playoffs. There are a lot of good teams vying for these spots. And some other teams hoping to get put in lower divisions so they don’t have to play against the best NorCal has to offer.

Liberty went undefeated in league . Football guys are in a groove now.
Liberty has two studs in McInnis and Newman.
McInnis very tough cover for any guards. Just makes plays.
Newman very strong around the basket and athletic.

Could surprise DELA or Dublin.

Unfortunately, Liberty won’t get the chance to surprise DELA or Dublin as they were upset at home by Amador Valley 55-53 in the 1st round.

5 EBAL teams move on to round 2, but 4 face each other so at least 2 will go down Friday as at least 2 moving on to the semis.

No upsets in the D1 bracket.. so far. Top 4 seeds all survive, gonna be interesting to see round 2.

I guess that chip liberty had on there shoulder was of no concern to Amador valley
Who went on the road and pulled out a close one.seeds don’t matter this time
Of year you better just be ready to play.

Reactions: SF_Mikey
I guess that chip liberty had on there shoulder was of no concern to Amador valley
Who went on the road and pulled out a close one.seeds don’t matter this time
Of year you better just be ready to play.

Dating myself here......

hqdefault.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT