ADVERTISEMENT

NCS D2 Matchups

J.E.W.

Board Regular
Jan 17, 2013
Not sure what the committee was thinking in this field but there's no way Moreau and O'Dowd should be on same side of this bracket. LL being 2 seed is also quite high but good for them. They should benefit from this seeding craze all the way to the title game!

Top Half:
#1 Odowd vs
#16 Concord @Odowd 8pm 2/21

#8 Windsor vs
#9 Redwood @Windsor 7pm 2/21

#4 Moreau Catholic vs
#13 Petaluma @MC 7pm 2/21

#5 Acalanes vs
#12 Santa Rosa @Acalanes 8pm 2/21

Bottom Half:
#2 Las Lomas vs
#15 De Anza @LL 7pm 2/21

#7 Montgomery vs
#10 San Lorenzo** @San Lorenzo 7pm 2/21

#3 Cardinal Newman vs
#14 Washington @CN 7pm 2/21

#6 Tamalpais vs
#11 Alameda @Tamalpais 6:30pm 2/21

Newman will not get past LL should they meet... And winner of MC vs Odowd will win section

I think this bracket played out exactly as planned. Was there any surprise from 1- 4? Moreau didn't take care of business enough this year. All the talent but results lacking so they will get a date with ODOWD i'm sure. Newman can beat LL also. They beat them last year with a mediocre team and 2 of there best players hurt. In fact so can Montgomery. Monty vs LL as a second round game will be no walk in the park for LL. In fact Newman against Tamalpais isn't a lay down game either in round 2. I could see Newman vs Monty in the bottom half of that bracket with Newman vs Odowd in finals. Odowd is my pick.

I like Las lomas those guys can really shoot it i think they can get on a roll
all the way to the finals.

I think this bracket played out exactly as planned. Was there any surprise from 1- 4? Moreau didn't take care of business enough this year. All the talent but results lacking so they will get a date with ODOWD i'm sure. Newman can beat LL also. They beat them last year with a mediocre team and 2 of there best players hurt. In fact so can Montgomery. Monty vs LL as a second round game will be no walk in the park for LL. In fact Newman against Tamalpais isn't a lay down game either in round 2. I could see Newman vs Monty in the bottom half of that bracket with Newman vs Odowd in finals. Odowd is my pick.

Moreau played a tough schedule and won their league going away! Doesn't take a a genius to survey both Odowd and Moreau to know they are amongst the elite teams this season. Committee got that part wrong in my opinion but it is what it is!

I LOVE it let ALL of the Moreau Catholic haters coming out once again.lol they didnt handle business? They won their 3rd straight league title with having the less experienced and talented oriented team of all 3 titles, they have won 13 or 14 straight games beating Jesuit and Logan in that run by double figures, im going to say this don't be surprise if they win there 3rd NCS championship in 4 years if they get by BOD, NO ONE on the other side stands a chance against them on a neutral court

Moreau haters... HA HA. There league is absolute awful. Atrocious. Moreau is one of (not the worse) but def up there in terms of poorly coached teams as I've seen over the years. Been watching these programs a lot longer than any of you. Kids go there and are highly rated as fresh and never get better. 4 and 5 stars turn to 3.
Nice league One good team. (Logan)
Mission, SJ 7-17
Newark Memorial 11-15 (sorry don't really get any talent these days. Not what it once was)
American 8-18
Kennedy 3-23
Irvington 7-19
Washington 16-10 (average)

Oh and Jesuit was way down this year 15-13. Barely .500 so that isn't like some great win.

Moreau won't beat ODOWD so it doesn't matter about the other bracket.

The MAIN hater has responded YES love it, you have NO CLUE how long anyone has been watching any program out in NOR CAL, Cardinal Newman league is HORRIBLE so is LL league but if it doesnt have Moreau in front of it you wont talk about that, if Moreau Catholic had scheduled the same teams as those to teams they would probably have 1 or 2 losses the entire season, guarantee they won't beat BOD huh, im going to say this if it happens do me a favor keep Moreau Catholic name out of your mouth. Lol As far as players getting better if you are so seasoned in knowing how this works, at the end of the day its up to the parent or guardian to make sure their kid gets better not so much the coach and thats the problem this day an age when kids dont get what parents think they deserve they want to blame the coach as a parent you need to blam yourself as the parent because its not the coaches kid its YOURS.

The MAIN hater has responded YES love it, you have NO CLUE how long anyone has been watching any program out in NOR CAL, Cardinal Newman league is HORRIBLE so is LL league but if it doesnt have Moreau in front of it you wont talk about that, if Moreau Catholic had scheduled the same teams as those to teams they would probably have 1 or 2 losses the entire season, guarantee they won't beat BOD huh, im going to say this if it happens do me a favor keep Moreau Catholic name out of your mouth. Lol As far as players getting better if you are so seasoned in knowing how this works, at the end of the day its up to the parent or guardian to make sure their kid gets better not so much the coach and thats the problem this day an age when kids dont get what parents think they deserve they want to blame the coach as a parent you need to blam yourself as the parent because its not the coaches kid its YOURS.

I was with you up until the comment regarding LL league being weak... 5/6 teams are in the playoffs... 2 teams that previously were in this league (Dublin, Dougherty Valley) moved to EBAL and Dublin won that league. Moreau does play in a HORRIBLE league but they're still a talented team.

Moreau only had 5 wins against opponents .500 or above. LL had 17. I think that's why they got seeded higher. LL league is way better than Moreau's league. Campolindo, Acalanes and Miramonte are all good teams. Moreau only has Logan. Cardinal Newman only plays Montgomery. They played 4 times this season 2-2. Max Preps has LL strength of schedule better than Moreau or Newman. I think LL and BOD in finals. The LL team this year is way different than the one last year. Montgomery plays tough D and may give them a good game. O'Dowd / Moreau will be a fun game.

Northgate
College Park
Acalanes
Campolindo
Miramonte

I mean i wouldnt say that's league is any better.lol but everyone has there own opinion and t i can respect that, if Moreau and Logan was in that league LL would of finished 3rd, but if it playes out Acalanes will play Moreau Friday and we will see how that goes.

LL's dislike of Moreau (more correctly, Knight) has been LEGENDary on this board, and though there's no doubt they laid an egg against Serra in the open 2 years ago, they lost a nailbiter to Sheldon last year and won D-IV Norcal 3 years ago before getting crushed by a Bishop Montgomery team that could have been an open contender. Methinks he dost protest too much.

That said, I think it's overboard to try to compare the DFAL to the MVAL. While Logan and Moreau are good teams, the rest of the league doesn't hold a candle to anybody other than Northgate. But CN has no business being seeded ahead of Moreau. The only other team that's remotely good is Monty, and CN's non-league schedule is kind of a joke. I think Mt. Eden's the best team they played, and they lost to them. Meanwhile, Moreau clearly challenged themselves with that schedule (multiple top 100 national teams). The committee sent a clear message that challenging yourself will not be rewarded. The question is, will Moreau take out that disrespect on Acalanes? If they do, then they'll get to Norcals again where people outside of NCS will get a chance to maybe correct this oversight

LL's dislike of Moreau (more correctly, Knight) has been LEGENDary on this board, and though there's no doubt they laid an egg against Serra in the open 2 years ago, they lost a nailbiter to Sheldon last year and won D-IV Norcal 3 years ago before getting crushed by a Bishop Montgomery team that could have been an open contender. Methinks he dost protest too much.

That said, I think it's overboard to try to compare the DFAL to the MVAL. While Logan and Moreau are good teams, the rest of the league doesn't hold a candle to anybody other than Northgate. But CN has no business being seeded ahead of Moreau. The only other team that's remotely good is Monty, and CN's non-league schedule is kind of a joke. I think Mt. Eden's the best team they played, and they lost to them. Meanwhile, Moreau clearly challenged themselves with that schedule (multiple top 100 national teams). The committee sent a clear message that challenging yourself will not be rewarded. The question is, will Moreau take out that disrespect on Acalanes? If they do, then they'll get to Norcals again where people outside of NCS will get a chance to maybe correct this oversight

Acalanes doesn't have any standout athletes. They are a solid hard working team. Moreau obviously has the athletes and should win that one if coached properly. Acalanes couldn't hang with LL, too athletic so I'm thinking same concept applies here

Legend - Do you truly think CN should be seeded above Moreau? CN best wins are Marin Catholic, Analy and Montgomery(who they lost to twice). I think CN got a great draw, not having to play O'Dowd or Moreau until late, Tam in second round instead of Montgomery and I do think Montgomery has a chance to give LL a tough game if they get there. Remember, Montgomery has to go to San Lorenzo and that won't be easy. Personally, I think CN should have been the 4 seed due to their schedule. With both Marin Catholic and Analy winning their league and league tournaments must have really helped CN get the 3.

Last edited:
I have an idea Moreau should have probably been seeded one spot higher, with CN (who *really* needs to play a better sched) dropping to #4. But with Moreau's 9 losses and their best win being the good half of a split with Logan), I can also see why they weren't.

In any case... Except for last year when they had a team with mostly seniors including Oscar Frayer, they have shown a strong tendency to lay an egg on the big stage at just the wrong time.

My guess is that's what'll happen should they get thru to find O'Dowd waiting for them next week. Besides the Mariners' rep for egg-laying, the Dragons are a bad matchup for them. O'Dowd has strong guards to slow down Milstead and Walker, and they have more size and depth in the middle... and a coach who understands game-pace and that if the game gets to full-on run-and-gun, that'd be giving Moreau its best chance; therefore, he won't let it happen.

Just a quick comment, I think people need a little perspective and reality check when it comes to evaluating HIGH SCHOOL basketball! I read a lot of comments that say this league is garbage or that league is garbage blah blah blah.

I have been watching high school basketball mostly in the Northbay for over 20 years, coached for several years and have been to the state championships games for the last 15 years. So I've seen some good ball and I've seen some bad ball but I think I've seen enough to give a little perspective.

When I hear people comment about how horrible basketball is in the Northbay I always ask myself "what does that really mean"? I don't often post but I feel compelled to ask this board that question. I have posted on this board that I do believe that this year is in fact a down year in the SCL and NBL but garbage?

Here is how I see it and let me know if I'm missing anything? For the talent pool I think the Northbay has more than held its own and let me clarify that by saying, I can't remember 1 team in the last 20 years that could ever claim they were a legitimate top 10 team in the state. But does that mean there isn't some good ball being played in the northbay some years? Does it mean the league is garbage? Montgomery coached by fitchie won 3 ncs D2 titles since 2003. Newman played for a state championship a few years ago, and before I hear about it I know they benefited by Salesian moving to the open I saw them get crushed in the ncs D4 game that year. Windsor had a good team in 2012 was a runner up that year to a very good Newark team in ncs d2 that gave a very good Mitty team lead by Aaron Gordon (junior year) all they could handle in the norcals. Analy had a good run a few years back winning a ncs d3 championship and beating a pretty good bishop O'Dowd team with I believe a freshman named Rabb. I don't know if These count but Cloverdale had a good team some years back now that featured a hell of a player named Robbie Rowland that gave a very good St Mary's team all they could handle in ncs d4.

My point is your not going to hear me claim that the Northbay is a top level basketball hot bed. However there is some good solid high school ball being played here. I'd also like to point out that all this is done without top rated talent! The bottom line is there is rarely a player in the area that is recruited to play ball at the d1 level in the northbay. I can only remember a few and they were by no means 4 or 5 star guys.

I've seen some really good teams play in Norcal the last few years, we all have. The top teams have all had one thing in common TOP TALENT! But to call the northbay leagues and basketball "garbage" is a little weak. I think we do ok for what we are. I think the Northbay could compete with 95% of leagues year in and year out.

Reactions: olineUno
Just a quick comment, I think people need a little perspective and reality check when it comes to evaluating HIGH SCHOOL basketball! I read a lot of comments that say this league is garbage or that league is garbage blah blah blah.

I have been watching high school basketball mostly in the Northbay for over 20 years, coached for several years and have been to the state championships games for the last 15 years. So I've seen some good ball and I've seen some bad ball but I think I've seen enough to give a little perspective.

When I hear people comment about how horrible basketball is in the Northbay I always ask myself "what does that really mean"? I don't often post but I feel compelled to ask this board that question. I have posted on this board that I do believe that this year is in fact a down year in the SCL and NBL but garbage?

To be fair, you're the only person in this thread to use the phrase "garbage," though 4baller did say the NBL was "HORRIBLE." While I think that word's kind of strong, the NBL is not historically a league that's been as good as, say, the MVAL (which has, prior to this year, had a team in the open division every single year that there's been an open division). So that being the case, Cardinal Newman's non-conference schedule was quite underwhelming (2 tournament games against other NBL teams, highest rated opponent was Mt. Eden) and really never left the north Bay. Meanwhile, Moreau went to Arizona to take on 2 of the top 3 ranked teams in their state (Basha and Corona del Sol) along with the #2 team from Nevada (Centennial) and multiple other top national teams (Damien, Morgan Park, IL) and other teams considerably stronger than Mt. Eden (Mitty, Freedom) without knowing that Newark was going to have such a down year. The seeding committee decided to reward CN's unwillingness to schedule tough competition over Moreau not backing down from the challenge even though they'd graduated Frayer and Brown.

To be fair, you're the only person in this thread to use the phrase "garbage," though 4baller did say the NBL was "HORRIBLE." While I think that word's kind of strong, the NBL is not historically a league that's been as good as, say, the MVAL (which has, prior to this year, had a team in the open division every single year that there's been an open division). So that being the case, Cardinal Newman's non-conference schedule was quite underwhelming (2 tournament games against other NBL teams, highest rated opponent was Mt. Eden) and really never left the north Bay. Meanwhile, Moreau went to Arizona to take on 2 of the top 3 ranked teams in their state (Basha and Corona del Sol) along with the #2 team from Nevada (Centennial) and multiple other top national teams (Damien, Morgan Park, IL) and other teams considerably stronger than Mt. Eden (Mitty, Freedom) without knowing that Newark was going to have such a down year. The seeding committee decided to reward CN's unwillingness to schedule tough competition over Moreau not backing down from the challenge even though they'd graduated Frayer and Brown.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Newman does a great job with there schedule. That being said I don't think Newman should be scheduling anyone out of state and is far from a team that should be scheduling anyone with a national presence. It's apples and oranges MC has the athletes to compete and should schedule accordingly Newman is simply a solid high school squad that needs to take a deeper look at there preseason schedule. MC and O'Dowd are the favorites in this division

can someone enlighten me on how Newman boys are D2 and Newman girls are D4? I am completely lost

Newman is a division 4 team but the boys choose to petition up this year to division 2. The ncs allows a team at the beginning of the season to petition to a higher division if it chooses

Newman opted up to d2 for some unknown reason. They most likely would have done better in D4 especially when Norcal starts and St Joes goes up to Open. Newman girls are a legitimate open contender this year. Very good team.

I personally think Odowd wins D2. If they don't it will be a major disappointment. Most likely a LL vs Odowd finals. But Newman vs LL game should be very entertaining assuming they meet. Moreau has some great individual talent but it often gets exposed against a well coached team with some players.

Newman opted up to d2 for some unknown reason. They most likely would have done better in D4 especially when Norcal starts and St Joes goes up to Open. Newman girls are a legitimate open contender this year. Very good team.

I personally think Odowd wins D2. If they don't it will be a major disappointment. Most likely a LL vs Odowd finals. But Newman vs LL game should be very entertaining assuming they meet. Moreau has some great individual talent but it often gets exposed against a well coached team with some players.
Moreau does nothing but win & Milstead does nothing but lead as he has done for the last 4 years.... If your a ODowd fan thats great, just say it. No way you can come on this board and objectively say ODowd will beat Moreau

Sonoma,

You seem A bit upset. I read posters frequently talk about how basketball in general is down. The NBL has 2-3 good teams every year. No where near the depth (traditionally) as the EBAL, WCAL, TCAL or WACC. That has more to do with geography than anything. The North Bay is more sparsely populated.
I don't think anyone said CN, Newman, or Analy are bad or have been bad. The point, EVERY YEAR, is that those teams rarely play top level competition in the preseason. That being said, there are logistical reasons. Why would an East Bay team travel an hour to play a GOOD CN team, when they can drive 15 minutes to play a solid-good team? There are bad teams in every league. It's not simply a question of league strength but quality non-league wins. At the same time, what is the motivation for CN to change their schedule? They go 27-2, breeze through league, scrap with Monty for a league title, and and get a top 3 seed. Bonfigli and Fitchie have done a great job, but let not act like they were winning with random guys off the street. There's been some impressive talent over the past decade come through those two programs. While they haven't had 4-5 star recruits, who has?
That Cloverdale team was supposed to be great and lost to an above average st Mary's team. You'd be be better off referencing teams like Arcata, and Chico (historically) as good programs who play some good ball but don't get much recognition.

Fitchie retired a couple years ago at Monty. Tiedman is now the coach.
Both these programs are very good every year. Monty does a better job of scheduling primarily because they have their own tourney which draws good teams. I like what they did here. But when Newman had those deep state run teams back with Love and Hammel Newman did very well in Monty tournament against the likes of Campo and Monte Vista. Newman was loaded 2011-13. They were battling the likes of Modesto Christian/Riordan/ St Pats, and some of the top teams in Norcal. So when you are good it doesn't matter. The last couple years they've been down and I don't think anybody expected this sort of season. Lets see what they do in D2. They will be tested and eventually will meet somebody very talented like a Las Lomas or Odowd. I think they get by Tam by 15+ on Friday and then it gets hard.

I have an idea Moreau should have probably been seeded one spot higher, with CN (who *really* needs to play a better sched) dropping to #4. But with Moreau's 9 losses and their best win being the good half of a split with Logan), I can also see why they weren't.

In any case... Except for last year when they had a team with mostly seniors including Oscar Frayer, they have shown a strong tendency to lay an egg on the big stage at just the wrong time.

My guess is that's what'll happen should they get thru to find O'Dowd waiting for them next week. Besides the Mariners' rep for egg-laying, the Dragons are a bad matchup for them. O'Dowd has strong guards to slow down Milstead and Walker, and they have more size and depth in the middle... and a coach who understands game-pace and that if the game gets to full-on run-and-gun, that'd be giving Moreau its best chance; therefore, he won't let it happen.

I TOTALLY agree with you that CN needs to schedule tougher. This yrs schedule with the likes of Avarroes and Gateway was definitely lacking. BUT when the committee awards them the #3 seed?????
Where is the motivation to schedule tougher? The committee needs to holds these teams accountable when they schedule soft. I would have MUCH rather seen CN schedule tough, and go 20-8, and get battle tested than coast thru the slop they did for 25-3.

Reactions: noknight
Do not sleep on Tam! This is a very deep athletic team. Played below their level of talent in a couple of games this year, but will not be an easy out in the next round.

Tamalpais got a very generous 6 seed and because of that they are on the weaker half of the bracket. Unfortunately I don't see them getting past Newman so they will be gone after tomorrow.

Agree. Newman is deep and its a home game. Newman by double digits.
The game of the night could be Monty vs LL. LL is the favorite but don't sleep on the vikings.

Have seen Tam, Newman, Monty play this year. Coached against some of the Las Lomas players when they were younger so a bad judge of that team. But I watched an average Newman team dismantle a good Las Lomas team a couple of years ago. Monty/LL is probably a fantastic game and I'll agree with Legend that Newman is +12 at home.

So Newman AND Las Lomas both lost, and now BOD and Moreau will meet in one semifinal while Tam will face Monty for a shot at the NCS final. I hope the committee's pleased with themselves. Pathetic

I never comment but I feel like I should. My son plays for LL. I've ref'd high school basketball in the past as a playoff ref. Payne for LL was taken off the floor by the refs. He had 4 fouls with 5 min to go in the 3rd quarter and pick up his 5th with 7 min to go in the 4th. One of his fouls was a T after a blocked shot for saying something. His 3rd was a clean block up top but ref said he pushed below. He was he was the help defender coming over to help. Just a bad call sorry. His 4th was on a box out where ball hit the ground and they called him for backing into the other player. His 5th a charge. Monty was in double bonus at the end of the 3 qtr. Monty is a solid team so I don't want to take anything from them. But we were up12 at halftime then fouls in the 3rd qtr just changed the entire game. I feel like they won but it was gifted and they didn't earn it by beating us. Its like we had to over come a solid team solid very solid. But ref really took us out of the game. Now the seeding I do feel like we should have been the 3 seed. However, the best team will still win the section. Good luck to all the teams still playing. Good season LL. I'm proud of them and feel they were as good as all the teams in the D-2 section.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT