ADVERTISEMENT

NorCal Bowl Game Thread - Friday Edition

I trust my eyes. OR was just as good. Game could have gone either way. That’s why Central ain’t all that.

Central had a few athletes that made plays when OR had them stopped. 3rd & 10 for Central at midfield with about 6 min to go. OR had the play sniffed out and contained, Central runner made few fantastic moves, and somehow gained 9.9 yards out of nothing. Central easily gained a first down on the 4th & Inches Play.
OR looked good, but a couples athletes made the difference for a Central IMHO.

In So Cal D1AA.... Sierra Canyon 38 Helix 20.... SC vs Central in D1AA...

Should be a good matchup, SC lost to Liberty last year in D1A....

What happened at end of EGA game. Switched over to OR game and by the time I hopped back CVC had the lead.
EG got the ball to CVCs 30 with 20 seconds left and threw an INT in the EZ.

How didnCVC score twice in 2+ minutes?

Elk Grove pissed that game away. Seriously... triple coverage of a CVC WR, but all 3 DBs trailing. Good pass for a score. Herd completely blew it.

Reactions: remc and bella123
In So Cal... D2 AA... Aquinas 24 San Juan Hills 10...

CVC vs Aquinas in D 2AA....

D 3AA.... El Camino (Oceanside) 34 Temecula Valley 18....

CN vs EL Camino in D 3AA....

Oddly enough, my Brother went to CVC and My Niece currently goes to El Camino in Oceanside....:):):)

I’m not sure Salesian can hang with Santa Cruz, they have a few sub 5.0 guys and a line that averages 195.

Dammit WTF did you put these stats out now?? I went with the Chiefs in the pick-em, this nugget could have been useful earlier.

Reactions: MC415
Central had a few athletes that made plays when OR had them stopped. 3rd & 10 for Central at midfield with about 6 min to go. OR had the play sniffed out and contained, Central runner made few fantastic moves, and somehow gained 9.9 yards out of nothing. Central easily gained a first down on the 4th & Inches Play.
Yep, that's what Central brings to the table, athletes and speed, intangibles you can't coach

Central was very solid. Monterey Trail and Inderkum didn’t have the speed that Central has. They took care of ball also. I don’t recall a turnover by Central. They didn’t make many mistakes. A great high school game and a tremendous season by oak ridge. They played there best football the last 3 weeks. They have a lot of good returning players next year including mvp candidate lamson, and very well could be the team to beat in the SFL. Good luck to central against Sierra Canyon. All I know is CAL got a steal #3. That kid was incredible.

and they are more disciplined than one would think... however you know how that story goes.
They committed very few penalties, and really don't remember any turnovers . They also lost their starting RB in the first few plays of the game.They played a very clean game.Their team speed pretty much negated any wide runs by OR, who did most of their ground game between the tackles. Having said that, was very impressed with OR's line play on both sides of the ball. Limited Central to basically some QB scrambles and a few end around that got some nice gains. That pick 6 to start the 3rd quarter was a KILLER against OR. To defer the opening kickoff so that you'll get the ball to start the 3rd quarter and have that happen......

That pick 6 was a dagger. Let’s give the committee some credit. OR was the right opponent given how well they played of late. This was a very even game. 2 big plays by central ( kickoff and pick 6) were the killers. Don’t know the final stats but I’m sure it was pretty even in terms of rushing and passing.

speed is something you can’t teach. In person it was impressive. I do think a healthy Serra team beats Central though.

That pick 6 was a dagger. Let’s give the committee some credit. OR was the right opponent given how well they played of late. This was a very even game. 2 big plays by central ( kickoff and pick 6) were the killers. Don’t know the final stats but I’m sure it was pretty even in terms of rushing and passing.

speed is something you can’t teach. In person it was impressive. I do think a healthy Serra team beats Central though.
I question OR decision on their last possession to pass on 3rd and 1 at around midfield than run for the 1st dn,OR pass attempt was incomplete and now faced a 4th and 1 and Lamson came up a couple of INCHES short!I believe OR was primed for a come from behind victory up till that point on that last drive.Just saying!

I question OR decision on their last possession to pass on 3rd and 1 at around midfield than run for the 1st dn,OR pass attempt was incomplete and now faced a 4th and 1 and Lamson came up a couple of INCHES short!I believe OR was primed for a come from behind victory up till that point on that last drive.Just saying!

Yeah def would have liked those calls back. Inches is right. For s home game I can tell you OR got no help from officials. They had a few questionable calls especially a pi that was not catchable ball and they missed an offensive pi against Jacobs.

OR was moving ball well on outs to Barthel and your could feel the excitement. And given it was. 6 pt diff you got the feeling of something special. But give credit for central coming up big.

How will they match up against Sierra Canyon?

Reactions: championcif75
They committed very few penalties, and really don't remember any turnovers . They also lost their starting RB in the first few plays of the game.They played a very clean game.Their team speed pretty much negated any wide runs by OR, who did most of their ground game between the tackles. Having said that, was very impressed with OR's line play on both sides of the ball. Limited Central to basically some QB scrambles and a few end around that got some nice gains. That pick 6 to start the 3rd quarter was a KILLER against OR. To defer the opening kickoff so that you'll get the ball to start the 3rd quarter and have that happen......

Central did a great job on getting pressure on Lamson as well. I thought that was key. He was visibly frustrated at two key points in the second half which stalled two key offensive opportunities

They also lost their starting RB in the first few plays of the game.
For some reason, I missed Central lost Conley to injury last night. Was he out the rest of the game? If so, that's the reason the Grizzlies didn't win bigger - IMO. And if he is still out, it will be difficult to win against Sierra Canyon.

Central did a great job on getting pressure on Lamson as well. I thought that was key. He was visibly frustrated at two key points in the second half which stalled two key offensive opportunities
Agree, also thought that after Central hit on a couple of slant passes early on, one for a long TD and another for a short TD and a couple others, OR moved their LBs back a bit to defend this.This created a little running room for those WB scrambles that kept the chains moving for Central. Their big play capability puts stress on a defense. But credit OR, they still held them relatively in check given the athlete advantage on the outside.

Reactions: THEOC89
Agree, also thought that after Central hit on a couple of slant passes early on, one for a long TD and another for a short TD and a couple others, OR moved their LBs back a bit to defend this.This created a little running room for those WB scrambles that kept the chains moving for Central. Their big play capability puts stress on a defense. But credit OR, they still held them relatively in check given the athlete advantage on the outside.

Agree, I thought OR had Central scouted well.

Reactions: ThunderRam

I keep hearing this athlete crap. So overstated IMO. OR had the ball driving for a chance to win. What more do you want? They were just as good a team regardless of the athlete factor. That’s the point you guys keep overlooking.

OR didn’t lose the game because of athletes. They lost because they didn’t block well on the final offensive play. Sheesh.

If Lamson churns out 3 more inches and they complete that drive with a TD, you guys aren’t blathering about athletes today. Because Central would have lost. But because they held on for a toss up win, you guys are going nuts over the athlete factor. SMH.

If OR had won, would ‘fundamentals’, ‘structure’ and ‘coaching’ be overstated to the same degree? I seriously doubt it.

Fact is, those teams played evenly throughout the game and down to the end. Game could have gone either way regardless of their individual strengths or weaknesses. That’s why it’s an overstatement.

If Central had run OR off the field and beat them 54-20, I’d completely understand the analysis. But that’s nowhere close to what happened.

Last edited:

That was the same decision I brought up. I think they believed they might catch Central on a run blitz and hit them with a big play. But the ball was batted down by the linebacker.

I can understand the thinking, but given the circumstances I always like my odds of running it twice to get a yard. I remember Ohio State making that same decision against a Michigan State back when they had Carlos Hyde, who was almost an automatic first down from that yardage. But they passed on both downs IIRC and lost the game in a huge upset.

I’m with you in thinking that had they ran it on both downs (if necessary) and converted that 1st down they were going to score. They’d already done a nice job pushing it out past midfield with plenty of time remaining. Lamson was looking sharp passing it down field for 8-10 yards at a time.

Reactions: championcif75
If games were decided prior to 7:30pm each Friday night by 40yd dash times, number scholarship offered players, and size, Oak Ridge would have been 6-8 instead of 11-3.

You guys played great and represented well! I saw two equal teams out there last night. Those types of games are typically decided by a play or two at the end. Which is exactly what happened.

If you guys played again next week, perhaps OR converts the first down and ends up scoring and winning.

I keep hearing this athlete crap. So overstated IMO. OR had the ball driving for a chance to win. What more do you want? They were just as good a team regardless of the athlete factor. That’s the point you guys keep overlooking.

OR didn’t lose the game because of athletes. They lost because they didn’t block well on the final offensive play. Sheesh.

If Lamson churns out 3 more inches and they complete that drive with a TD, you guys aren’t blathering about athletes today. Because Central would have lost. But because they held on for a toss up win, you guys are going nuts over the athlete factor. SMH.

If OR had won, would ‘fundamentals’, ‘structure’ and ‘coaching’ be overstated to the same degree? I seriously doubt it.

Fact is, those teams played evenly throughout the game and down to the end. Game could have gone either way regardless of their individual strengths or weaknesses. That’s why it’s an overstatement.

If Central had run OR off the field and beat them 54-20, I’d completely understand the analysis. But that’s nowhere close to what happened.

“IF LAMSON churns out 3 inches”. Um,..he didn’t
“If OR had won” ...they didn’t

I’m not sure why your panty’s are in a wad, at least at what I posted. I didn’t OVERSTATE anything. Maybe some others did, but I 100% stick to my post. i simply said that there were a few key plays that OR had containment on Central, yet Central players made some athletic plays to make things happen. It happened, I watched it.

BTW, you and I said the felt (and posted) the same thing about play calling on OR’s last drive. Go back and check the posts, I actually mentioned the same thing as you (we posted at the same time) and said OR should have run on 2nd or 3rd down, not waited til 4th.

(“Thought that OR missed a chance to run it on a draw on 2nd & 1. Central dropped back and only rushed 3, the run was there on 2nd or 3rd down (instead of incomplete passes into heavy coverage) but Central was waiting for it on 4th down.”)

It was a great game, and OR could’ve won, regardless of Central’s athletes. But they didn’t, and IMHO, a few individual plays Central made the difference (and a few missed play calls by OR)

Last edited:

Different teams go about their business different ways. Some get where they are by methodical, steady, consistent gains. Others by big play capability, a quick strike on a short pass, a punt or kickoff return, a long run from scrimmage etc. Nobody ever said OR couldn't have won that game. But Central led for the vast mood the time. After they got that kickoff return and then a go ahead TD I think on a slant pass they never trailed, and that was since Q1. The reason the athleticism is mentioned is because Central got a 99 td return for a TD, don't remember the exact yardage on the slant TD, looked like at least 40 yards. The pick six looked to be another substantial yardage play, and the Central player appeared somewhat pinned to the sidelines.Point is all three were big yardage plays. And as close as the game was Central had a double digit lead at one point 32-21. Nobody said Central ran away and hid.But their athletes made some plays that proved to be the difference.

and IFFFFFF your uncle was a women he'd be your aunt.
main factor allowed oak ridge to stay close and look as if they were better than they are. mainly the weather.

main factor allowed oak ridge to stay close and look as if they were better than they are. mainly the weather.
Stay close? We had the lead several times and then tie score in the 4th qtr. As I recall, it rained on both sidelines Friday night, so the weather affected both teams. Our offense hung 32 points, which was the most this season and at least double on average of what Central’s opponents did all year. Our defense held Central’s offense to 24 points, the least all season long. What we do on offense was greatly affected by the weather. Central had some big plays, but we did too (55yd TD run, 30 yard TD pass, and 60yd punt return)...athletes making plays. I will repeat myself again, Central is a good program with athletes and good coaching. However, we have faced a better offense and several better defenses this season, but Central overall has been the best team. They were better than us Friday by 6 points only, period! I acknowledge the 14 points they got from special teams and defense is part of the game, but to count on it for victory was probably not in their game plan. Good luck next week, I will be supporting you!

"Conley. Matters" And he didn't play.
He did, for the first play, my guess is he got injured. Our #1 RB Warfield (unanimous 1st team All-SFL RB) has a separated shoulder, so he was confined to defensive coverage only. Trust me, Warfield matters on our offense. Shit happens, next man up!

Referring to players whose speed and agility is better than everyone else's. Said speed and agility makes them a big play threat .

I think it goes deeper than that. Our team last year was as athletic a team as we’ve ever had and near nobody referred to them as “athletes” even though a few of them could outrun, cover and keep with pretty much everyone sans maybe Ngata.

Last edited:
I think it goes deeper than that. Our team last year was as athletic a team as we’ve ever had and nobody referred to them as “athletes” even though a few of them could outrun, cover and keep with pretty much everyone sans maybe Ngata.
Yes I would agree it goes a little deeper, just wanted to briefly explain

Elk Grove pissed that game away. Seriously... triple coverage of a CVC WR, but all 3 DBs trailing. Good pass for a score. Herd completely blew it.
EG had to be absolutely SICK over that game.Feel sorry for those kids, awful way to lose a game they were in total control of.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT